Middle Age Spread
Doing something about it
markg wrote:
Acupuncture worked like a miracle cure for a mate of mine who was suffering with back problems. He's not had any problems since. Of course back pain very often just resolves itself and you never know what was up, so it could just be coincidence but he swears by it.

I suspect it was regression to the mean coupled with the placebo effect. No evidence has been found that acupuncture actually does anything meaningful.
Trooper wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Record your run in "mytracks"* & upload to your website of choice. Strava & Garmin Connect** are decent, free & allow you to download your tracks so you can upload them elsewhere. There's another supposedly decent site I keep meaning to try, but have never got round to it***.

*I think that's what it's called. I don't use my phone to track stuff, but it's meant to be the best option & means you can compare sites easily.
**You can use it without a Garmin device, aye.
***Cannae mind offhand. Will find out what it's called later.

You need a garmin gps for that though, I just use my iphone...
No you don't. Read it again ;)

Links please. http://www.mytracks.net/ is where I got sent, which says it needs a garmin.

You can export on runkeeper too, and upload them wherever you want, by the way.

Will link when I get home. On the phone hence nae proofreading & shit.
The Last Salmon Man wrote:
markg wrote:
Acupuncture worked like a miracle cure for a mate of mine who was suffering with back problems. He's not had any problems since. Of course back pain very often just resolves itself and you never know what was up, so it could just be coincidence but he swears by it.

I suspect it was regression to the mean coupled with the placebo effect. No evidence has been found that acupuncture actually does anything meaningful.

It makes you feel a bit of a prick :)
markg wrote:

Other than relieving pain in lots of the people who try it you mean? Even when they aren't new-age dingbats. No back pain after receiving a very highly effective placebo seems better to me than suffering in the knowledge that you are so very rational.
markg wrote:
markg wrote:

Other than relieving pain in lots of the people who try it you mean? Even when they aren't new-age dingbats. No back pain after receiving a very highly effective placebo seems better to me than suffering in the knowledge that you are so very rational.

My point is that evidence shows that a fake acupuncture-esque placebo can result in improvement at the same rate as the real thing. Getting treatment - no matter the efficacy - always makes you feel better.

Do you feel the same way about homeopathy?
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, it was a practical suggestion about something someone could try and there's a pretty good chance that they would get a good outcome. I wouldn't recommend homeopathy because I don't know of anyone who ever got any benefit from it. Most back massage is utter bunk as well, see also stretching before exercise to reduce injury and loads of other stuff that people try to combat aches and sprains.
Depending on the nature of the back problem, there is reason to believe it may work. its not like the jab pins on the feet to relieve a headache, its jamming needles into the back muscles to cause a certain panic reaction in said muscles which supposedly leaves them in a beyter stead when it ends.

I dont have any problems believing that. But theres nocway you could pursuafe me to do it.
I generally have a very negative reaction to unscience, but I saw my father suffer from horribly debilitating migraines for years. Acupuncture was the only thing that sorted it. I don't doubt that there's probably some kind of placebo effect at the heart of that, but from being a kid seeing my dad reduced to tears through pain to being fine, due to some needles—well, even the rational part of my brain gives acupuncture more of a break than homeopathy.
markg wrote:
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, it was a practical suggestion about something someone could try and there's a pretty good chance that they would get a good outcome. I wouldn't recommend homeopathy because I don't know of anyone who ever got any benefit from it. Most back massage is utter bunk as well, see also stretching before exercise to reduce injury and loads of other stuff that people try to combat aches and sprains.

I...I... what? I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic.
Stretching to reduce injury doesn't work? Since when? As a lifetime football player, I can assure you that stretching is very, very important.

Although I would replace the word "stretching" with "warming up" - a gentle jog, moving yourself around, etc. I don't generally "stretch" as it were. So maybe you have a point. I dunno.
WTB wrote:
Stretching to reduce injury doesn't work? Since when? As a lifetime football player, I can assure you that stretching is very, very important.

No credible evidence-based trials have ever shown that it lessens the chance of injury.
WTB wrote:

No credible evidence-based trials have ever shown that it lessens the chance of injury.

I wasn't finished! I didn't know that, though. I always use "stretching" and "warming up" interchangeably, hence my response to Mark's point. However he was obviously talking about stretching and what you just said, so is probably right. :attitude:
Wullie wrote:
Will link when I get home.
Turns out you need an Andra :S

There will be similar GPS loggers for the Jesusphone, but since I've no intention of ever getting one I'm no going hunting ;)

Anyway, I like Strava bestest for tracking personal bests & competing against others*. You'll find it at http://app.strava.com & it displays info like this http://app.strava.com/rides/12860609 (obviously running will be displayed as Minute/Mile rather than MPH. I'll have a look & see if I can find a run later)
EDIT: http://app.strava.com/runs/10656979 fuck knows how this guy's called Crispin, runs in Glesga & nobody's chibbed him yet :DD

http://connect.garmin.com/ gives you a wee bit more information & is better for comparing laps/miles.

*You don't have to compete, but it motivates me.
Wullie wrote:
Wullie wrote:
Will link when I get home.
Turns out you need an Andra :S

There will be similar GPS loggers for the Jesusphone, but since I've no intention of ever getting one I'm no going hunting ;)

Anyway, I like Strava bestest for tracking personal bests & competing against others*. You'll find it at http://app.strava.com & it displays info like this http://app.strava.com/rides/12860609 (obviously running will be displayed as Minute/Mile rather than MPH. I'll have a look & see if I can find a run later)
EDIT: http://app.strava.com/runs/10656979 fuck knows how this guy's called Crispin, runs in Glesga & nobody's chibbed him yet :DD

http://connect.garmin.com/ gives you a wee bit more information & is better for comparing laps/miles.

*You don't have to compete, but it motivates me.

Yeah, they all seem much for muchness, once you move up from nike+ then they all do that sort of stuff.
I should really start using my garmin watch thingy and heart strap, but i'll do that once I can actually run for more than 5 minutes at a time :D
There are others that do leaderboards!?! Awesome! Links plz?
Runkeeper! :D it shows me who is local to me and I can add them to my profile if I like to compare against. I haven't added anyone though, as I'm antisocial.
That'll no do me, I hate running :DD
It does cycling and mountain biking Wullie! Among many other things! I downloaded it last night - it seems great.
If anyone does want to add me on runkeeper, feel free, i'm trooperlooper on there :)

You can be one of my Street Team, whatever the fuck that is.
I will... When I start using it.
W5R1 done. No pressure, Trooper.
WTB wrote:
It does cycling and mountain biking Wullie! Among many other things! I downloaded it last night - it seems great.
Right, will give it a go & get back to yies.

I still say everyone with even the slightest of competitive streaks should try Strava though, particularly if you want to find your weaknesses.

EDIT: Plus it's one set of leaderboards we've a chance* of beating Trousers in if this is true :DD :kiss:
Trousers wrote:
Russ said 'Fuck me you got fat'
*You will need to make him run the same sections though.
Oh I am fucking DOWN for smashing Trousers at something. Even if it means I suspiciously ran 50 miles up the A19 at 70mph.
Craster wrote:
W5R1 done. No pressure, Trooper.

Good job.

Tomorrow night for me.
I use Runkeeper as well. When I'm not being a lazy shit as I am now.

Don't put yourself down - I can see there you've been playing the London Olympic 2012 game, so it's an effort of sorts. ;)

EDIT: Is that much cop, by the way?
Agent Starling wrote:

Don't put yourself down - I can see there you've been playing the London Olympic 2012 game, so it's an effort of sorts. ;)

EDIT: Is that much cop, by the way?

It's surprisingly good.
I have registered at my local Parkrun. http://www.parkrun.org.uk/MiltonKeynes/

Scary.

I don't plan on actually doing one until I can run at least 3k at once though.
I managed 30 mins run at between 11 and 11.5kph last night, with 5 min warm down (5.63km covered in the 30 mins); have done this three times on the bounce now, so fancy trying to extend to 40 mins + 5 min warm down tonight. :)

I reckon that's good for about 8km distance, which I don't think is too bad given the pace (and weight/age lol - I'm 15st/45). I can run at 10kph for much, much longer obv., but I shouldn't think that does much for fitness?

Managed a good form, solid 10-rep 231lb benchpress as well on Saturday - as the 4th in an ascending set - so my strength is still OK too. Sure someone like Grim... or Throughsilver would thrash this, but hey, I'm old now. :)
Captain Caveman wrote:

I reckon that's good for about 8km distance, which I don't think is too bad given the pace (and weight/age lol - I'm 15st/45). I can run at 10kph for much, much longer obv., but I shouldn't think that does much for fitness?

Depends on how you define fitness :)

As I understand it, longer slow runs build endurance and burn more calories. Shorter, fast runs build more speed and muscle and strengthen the heart and lungs.
Anaerobic vs aerobic, basically.

Well, not quite. Both are very much aerobic, anything above 200m is aerobic isn't it?
Yeah. You go aerobic once you've exhausted your glycogen supply. Which happens at somewhere around 10s of intense activity. :hat:
Trooper wrote:

Well, not quite. Both are very much aerobic, anything above 200m is aerobic isn't it?

Err, no. Aerobic running is where your body has enough oxygen to power your muscles; anaerobic is where it doesn't.

Flat out, anything on the track above 200m would be considered anaerobic, but if you went out for a gentle 3k jog, that would be considered aerobic, as your body wouldn't start breaking down sugar into lactic acid (instead of carbon dioxide and water during aerobic exercise).

I think that's right, anyway. :)
Yeah, you've got that quite a lot wrong, myp.
Oh, whoops no, Trooper did. I'm mixing them up completely.
MrsA's going to take me up on the moor later so I can do some intervals. I'm expecting to be sick, afterwards.

i've decided to use the highly scientific "Run at full effort for ten seconds then walk back, then turn around again".
MaliA wrote:
MrsA's going to take me up on the moor later so I can do some intervals. I'm expecting to be sick, afterwards. I usually am.

Saucy.
Craster wrote:

Hang on a second. I said a 5k and an 8k run are both aerobic, and they are. Nobody is going to be running flat out for either of them.
Oh. Yeah. I think everybody's right! YAAAAY!
Trooper wrote:
Craster wrote:

Hang on a second. I said a 5k and an 8k run are both aerobic, and they are.

It depends on the pace of the run, which is what Captain Caveman alluded to when he was talking about the pace of his runs. Which is why I mentioned aerobic vs anaerobic. ;)
MaliA wrote:
MrsA's going to take me up on the moor later so I can do some intervals. I'm expecting to be sick, afterwards.

i've decided to use the highly scientific "Run at full effort for ten seconds then walk back, then turn around again".

Do you have to do that on the moor, can't you just do that in the street outside the house?
For added effect, mumble to yourself as you run back and forth and smack yourself on the head.
I thought the cut off point was 30s not 10s (if it was 10s then the 200m record would be much longer than twice the 100m record)

Malc
Trooper wrote:
Craster wrote:

Hang on a second. I said a 5k and an 8k run are both aerobic, and they are.

It depends on the pace of the run, which is what Captain Caveman alluded to when he was talking about the pace of his runs. Which is why I mentioned aerobic vs anaerobic. ;)

But don't you have to be running pretty close to flat out to be anaerobic? Which I assume he won't be for either 5k or 8k?

Bear in mind i'm repeating half heard facts I learnt 20 years ago in school :D
MaliA wrote:
MrsA's going to take me up on the moor later so I can down some pints I'm expecting to be sick, afterwards.

KWIZ FEEX
Trooper wrote:
But don't you have to be running pretty close to flat out to be anaerobic? Which I assume he won't be for either 5k or 8k?

Bear in mind i'm repeating half heard facts I learnt 20 years ago in school :D

You're probably right. Everyone has their own aerobic threshold though, so by upping your pace a couple of kph, you could be tipping yourself into anaerobic running.
I must admit, I find maintaining 11.5kph even for just 10 mins at the end of the 30 min run pretty tough. (Sure 20 mins will be a lot harder still, to get to the 40 min total time I'm aiming for now).

Of course, many years ago I used to run 2 hours at a time for 12kph but I was 11.5 stone, fit as a fiddle and much younger, and hadn't smoked as many fags (or eaten so many pies) :(

I think I'd like to eventually manage the full hour at 11.5kph, but reckon that's some way off right now. One step at a time etc.

Maybe, just maybe I can recapture my old V-taper body shape - but I reckon Mrs C is going to have to stop making me all my fave dinners for that to happen, no matter how hard or long I end up running/training :D
Trooper wrote:
Pretty much. You can't maintain anaerobic effort for much longer than a couple of minutes.
Page 10 of 82 [ 4073 posts ]