Photography Challenge V: DEGENERATION/DILAPIDATION
Ends 11:59pm, Sun 15th June
This month's theme is Degeneration/Dilapidation as chosen by the lovely Dimrill Image

Here's how to take part:

1]Take a picture, based on the theme (think direct, think laterally - it doesn't matter - it's your idea and creativity that people are looking forward to seeing)

2]Upload it anonymously to the Eggwan account (obviously, don't call it 'Mimi's picture of degeneration.' or anything that makes it too obviously yours)

3]Try not to make it too obvious that a picture is yours in particular by announcing your upload, etc.

Upload your pictures of DEGENERATION/DILAPIDATION to the same-titled folder in the Eggwan Gallery. (If you would like to take part in this contest and do not have the username and password to sign in to the Eggwan gallery for anonymous uploading, please PM me for details).

This contest ends at 11:59pm on Sunday 15th June. Good luck and happy snapping!
Ooh - that's a delightful theme.

I don't think my wife would agree to pose for a portrait if I told her what it was about.
As a sidenote, there was recently a poll to decide whether people should have the ability to upload more than one entry per person.

The poll was very, very close, as you can see from the attached picture. However, the result decided that it should be one picture per person. I hope that this is OK with everyone. If we need to re-think it in the future, then we can do that, but for now the vote has ended. Thankyou everyone for taking part in helping make the decision.
For some reason, I read that as "depilation" about three times before it sank in.

Probably deeply revealing of something or other.
sinister agent wrote:
For some reason, I read that as "depilation" about three times before it sank in.

Revealing that you could do with a shave?
'Epilation' would have been even better.

Yowch.
Mmm, excellent theme. Time to wander into the parts of town I'm certain to get mugged :D
Degradation? Um. Erm, can I post NSFW stuff on there?
I'm sure I posted Degeneration/Dilapidation to you Mimi... although my mind wanders sometimes.

Edit: Aha! I did, and in fact you do say so in your post :D Not my mind wandering this time! :DD
Yes, you did.

It does say that in the first post of the thread.

I messed up the title.

Fart.
Craster wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Revealing that you could do with a shave?

Probably because it initially said 'degradation' and I had just been talking comical filth with a chum. Cough.
Of course, more than half the voters wanted to allow *more* than one picture. If only I had compromised my ideals and tactically voted for two instead of any amount. Seems the third way really is a wasted vote. Democracy wins again.
This is why I allowed re-voting in the poll.

But still, that's the result. I hope it's OK with people.
Did you? Knickers, I'd have changed my "as many as you want" vote. Ne'er mind. Maybe it's better this way; after all, after the voting has closed, we could always post up our "also-rans" for discussion.
Yup, it did say so on the poll.

Oh well, we can always see how people feel after a couple of contests to see how it is working out for folks. I voted for '2', myself, though I usually only submit one, because I think it gives you the opportunity to submit a couple of different ideas.
Mimi wrote:
Yup, it did say so on the poll.
I'm not saying it didn't, I'm saying I'm too stupid to read properly :DD

Also, this weeks theme is ace, well done Dimrill and Mimi.
That is all Dimrill's good work. i couldn't even type it out without the words changing between mind and hand :smug:
Yet another subject that I have a ton of old photos of. Good subject. I might have to visit some of my old photo haunts.

And the GOOD news, is that my camera appears to be working again, and I have two fully charged batteries for it. Huzzah!
richardgaywood wrote:
I'm not saying it didn't

Oh and, er, I knew you weren't. I put that there in case reading this later thought that the option wasn't available :)

Good stuff, Curiosity. I have no idea what to do for this, I do not know of many dilapidated areas, so might have to go down another route for this theme. I have no idea.
Curiosity wrote:
Yet another subject that I have a ton of old photos of. Good subject. I might have to visit some of my old photo haunts.

And the GOOD news, is that my camera appears to be working again, and I have two fully charged batteries for it. Huzzah!

Hooray! Now, keep it away from glasses of wine.
This is a good theme! Might have to give it a bash, assuming my mother will let me photograph her face. PAHA! Not really, I have a good idea for this one - I do live in Teesside after all.
I have no immediate ideas so far. I think it's probably going to be a case of going for a wander and seeing what I find. Still, any reason to explore is excellent as far as I'm concerned.
I do have a couple of ideas for one (Thanks glorious Dimrill) but sadly, not the camera to do them justice. (a Digital camera bought in 2000, may have been excellent then - I was the only person I knew with one, but certainly not up there in quality terms now)
The camera that I used to take the shot I entered this fortnight was a now defunct A510 canon little 3.2 megapixel lovely, that is, essentially, rubbish, but if you get the right lighting conditions with any camera you can get a decent shot Mr Dave - look at some of the great shots taken with camera phones. A good diffused light of a not too bright day where the sky is an off-white colour, or there is some cloud cover, should give you a good picture, which might be just the conditions you are looking for in this particular challenge...

I'd say give it a go, anyway.
Mimi wrote:
The camera that I used to take the shot I entered this fortnight was a now defunct A510 canon little 3.2 megapixel lovely,

That is well over twice the megapixelage of my camera. Even modern phones usually have a higher megapixelness than my camera.
Shouldn't matter too much with the sizes we're dealing with here.

Besides, I'm voting on ideas, not the camera.
*Buys the two packets of AA batteries required for obsolete camera*
*Takes picture of foot*
*Posts*
Take a really tiny picture. Of a really tiny dilapidated thing. Like a wasp at the end of summer :P

Seriously, though, I'd still encourage you to enter, even if for the creative process alone. You may be able to turn the apparent shortfalls of your camera into an artistic reference to the subject, or somehow use it as a merit.

You don't have to enter the picture if you do not like it, but I'd ask what you had to lose?
I'm a maybe, then.
As I say, if you have a moment, give it a shot. You might just surprise yourself, and if you do not like the photos you do not have to enter one, so what do you have to lose.

Have fun, Mr Dave.
Mimi wrote:
so what do you have to lose.

Batteries. Lots and lots of batteries.
I hope that a man of your intelligence has a handy stockpile of rechargeable batteries? If not, for SHAME! ?:|
I did. They stopped being chargable, and I never replaced them.
Take a picture of the damn camera! :)

I have an idea but it's going to take some timing.
Madonna, emerging from her house?
I go past an awesomely dilapitated housed on my way to work. Sadly, it's on the train, and I don't think I'd be able to catch it while going at 60mph.
Dudley wrote:
Take a picture of the damn camera! :)

I like this idea. Sadly, I think a rubbish, sellotape covered camera might be a bit of a giveaway as to who owns it.

Yes, it needs to be held together with sellotape to stop from turning itself off. That's how good it it.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
I go past an awesomely dilapitated housed on my way to work. Sadly, it's on the train, and I don't think I'd be able to catch it while going at 60mph.

Solution: Shout "Look out, evidoers", put on a cape and jump out of the train when you pass the house.
Anyone with a little Canon camera might be interested in http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK which is a patch thinger that loads off your memory card and lets you do more stuff with the camera.
My Canon supports this software; I need to get around to trying it out. The timelapse and superlong exposures look nifty.
AceAceBaby wrote:
Anyone with a little Canon camera might be interested in http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK which is a patch thinger that loads off your memory card and lets you do more stuff with the camera.

I heard about that a while ago, but forgot to check it out. It'd certainly address a few of the niggles I have with my S5 IS (no RAW support, no battery indicator etc.)

Cheers for the link :)
AceAceBaby wrote:

I would like to say:

"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh"
I haven't tried it, because my G9 does all the stuff I think I want anyway, but I did read that it doesn't do anything wiffly at all to your camera- it's just a file on your memory card you can load, or not. So I guess it would be safe to experiment with. Shooting raw is great, and remember Digital Photo Professional is a free download from Canon http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/eos30d/software/index.asp which would let you do some processing and exposure correction on your raw files.
Quick question - how much Photoshoppage is allowed?

I've got a pic that I'm playing around with a couple of the effects on - a little bit of colour change, filtering. Actual changing of the image would be right out, obviously but changing an image to black and white or sepia would be OK, wouldn't it?
Plissken wrote:

I've got a pic that I'm playing around with a couple of the effects on - a little bit of colour change, filtering. Actual changing of the image would be right out, obviously but changing an image to black and white or sepia would be OK, wouldn't it?

I think we had that general consensus, yes.
I think the consensus is that limited photoshoppery is allowed.

I did one thing to mine but held off on one other thing that would have really helped imo. I'll ask the question after the vote on the primary colours one.
My Photoshop skillz are limited to cropping and changing to b/w anyway. I can't even get my head around replacing a colour.

Edit: Perfect example, I've just loaded another shot to do the same thing, and I can't remember where the hell the option is that I used.
Plissken wrote:

Color jiggery isn't very much different to cross developing which was (and is, relatively) a popular way to get interesting effects. Likewise some HDR (High Dynamic Range) shots would be great to see, and these require blending two or three exposures.
AceAceBaby wrote:
Plissken wrote:

*speaks in tongues*.

I really do need to read up on this stuff.
AceAceBaby wrote:
Plissken wrote:

Color jiggery isn't very much different to cross developing which was (and is, relatively) a popular way to get interesting effects. Likewise some HDR (High Dynamic Range) shots would be great to see, and these require blending two or three exposures.

I'd say it's a little different, as results with cross-processing are a lot more unpredictable, and once you've done it, you can't click 'undo'!

I miss my Lomo...
Page 1 of 4 [ 165 posts ]