Photography Challenge V: DEGENERATION/DILAPIDATION
Ends 11:59pm, Sun 15th June
Cool. All I need is access to the gallery now (PM sent to Meems).
Plisskin, I've PMd you the login details.
Why exactly are we keeping this all 'secret'?
Because some oik messed about with the Picasa one and got it shut down.
Grim... wrote:

As when we left it as public, someone went in, posted an 'unsuitable' image, and then reported it, getting our web album taken offline.
And if they did it again, we could figure out who it was. Sillies.
Plissken wrote:
Cool. All I need is access to the gallery now (PM sent to Meems).

Sorry, plissken, I have been on the train all day, just got in. I see Richard has Pmd you the details, good good :)

Grim... wrote:

Because people asked for it to be so to ensure fairness, etc, which fair enough.
No, the password and all that. See above.
I don't understand.

It's private so that no-one messes around with Richard's gallery. Hoping that someone from this forum wouldn't be so malicious, I assumed it was some outside person that sabotaged it, to whatever stupid ends they had. If it happens on Richard's site then it is, unfortunately, probably someone from here, but IP addresses will be logged, so hopefully we'd know who it was, so could ask them why.
Plus of course, disagreeable images won't get the entire thing shut down but will merely be delt with by Richard when he spots it.
And then Richard can really kick some bum.
As others have noted, yes, in the (now unlikely) event of anything nasty getting posted to eggwan I shall server log its ass, we'll cross-compare with Grim...'s server logs for the forum, and then open a can of ISP related whoopass on whomsoever decided to dick with us. And nothing will happen to the rest of the content on the site.
Mimi wrote:
And then Richard can really kick some bum.

And then after that get onto the photo thing.
I like the idea of a Eurovision style voting doodad, where people get perhaps a 5-point award and a 3-point award. I'm sure Grim... won't mind getting his butler to ask his dev team to hack it into the forum. I'm also sure no-one will consider that I should go look at the "rating" module my gallery has.

(whistles innocently)
I think, if possible, it would be nice to have the rating doesn't on here, that way members who have not entered and would then be unlikely to navigate to rate the photos can do so easily on here.

As I say, an automated system would be great but if that's not possible then I think just putting choices in bold will make it clear enough to compile things. It's only once every fortnight, so not a massive undertaking.
So do I, actually. Plus it wouldn't work unless everyone had an account over there which is also the Wrong Answer.

There is another way, Mimi. Create three polls, all with 14 answers: "Pick your favourite", "Pick your second favourite", pick your third choice. At the end of the poll Mimi you add up all the first choices and multiply by (say) 5, all the second favourites and multiply by (say) 3, and the third choices. It'd be easier than doing it all manually.
Mimi wrote:
I don't understand.
[...] If it happens on Richard's site then it is, unfortunately, probably someone from here, but IP addresses will be logged, so hopefully we'd know who it was, so could ask them why.

You do understand :)
richardgaywood wrote:
So do I, actually. Plus it wouldn't work unless everyone had an account over there which is also the Wrong Answer.

There is another way, Mimi. Create three polls, all with 14 answers: "Pick your favourite", "Pick your second favourite", pick your third choice. At the end of the poll Mimi you add up all the first choices and multiply by (say) 5, all the second favourites and multiply by (say) 3, and the third choices. It'd be easier than doing it all manually.

Yes, I did think of that, but I do not think that it is possible to have three polls within one post (grim... can you confirm if this is the case or not?) So it would mean creating three threads each with a poll.

I will put a poll (yea! A poll!) up tomorrow and put all of these options forward, see how people feel it would be best organised.
Grim... wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I don't understand.
[...] If it happens on Richard's site then it is, unfortunately, probably someone from here, but IP addresses will be logged, so hopefully we'd know who it was, so could ask them why.

You do understand :)

I am glad that I understand. I don't know what I understand but I have a sudden sense of well-being knowing that I understand things even beyond my comprehension at the moment. Who knows what level of genius is working under the surface of this little brain of mine, which at the moment is struggling to keep me the right way up at the moment because yesterday I did drink of the banana beer and had a late and exhausting night, and today the world is bleary and I almost fell out of bed this morning as Craig and I slept on the opposite sides of the bed to what we usually do for some reason and whereas I lazily rolled over towards him he was not there and I was met instead with the impending doom of the floor rising up to meet me.

I shall be back to close the vote and give the winner tonight x
Mimi wrote:
I will put a poll (yea! A poll!) up tomorrow and put all of these options forward, see how people feel it would be best organised.

And how will we decide how many votes each we get in this poll?
Dudley wrote:
Mimi wrote:

And how will we decide how many votes each we get in this poll?

A preliminary poll will be held to decide the voting structure of the main poll.
And how many vo... *is killed in mysterious banana scented explosion*
Angry Mimi! Duck and cover, people! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!
She's banana flavoured killed once! She'll do it again!
I'm not angry, guys, just a little bit overtired and regretting last night's drink :(

The vote for the voting method ( :?: ) will be just one vote per person. Pick your favourite method.

I will leave it so that you can change your mind, though, until voting is closed.

It's a lovely day here, beautiful sun and the birds are singing.
Mimi wrote:
I lazily rolled over towards him he was not there and I was met instead with the impending doom of the floor rising up to meet me.

Lucky floor, s'not fair :'(
I saved myself by grabbing onto the head of the bed, but I have done that a few times. I get disorientated by something so small as sleeping on a different side of the bed. It will surprise no-one to find that I am useless with maps.
That's unfair, I bet you could make a very snazzy hat out of one.
Hmmm... Yes, I think I could. I should have said that I am useless at using maps fr the purpose of map reading, or working out where n earth I am. Apart from the London tube map which is and always will be a work of genius and it just looks so great, I have one on my wall.
Mimi wrote:
Apart from the London tube map which is and always will be a work of genius and it just looks so great, I have one on my wall.

I think this deserves posting again.
Mimi wrote:
the London tube map which is and always will be a work of genius and it just looks so great, I have one on my wall.
Wasn't it voted the best industrial design of the 20th century?
Craster wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Apart from the London tube map which is and always will be a work of genius and it just looks so great, I have one on my wall.

I think this deserves posting again.

It certainly does. What a wonderful site.
I think I know what I'm going to shoot now; I had a good think about it when I couldn't sleep last night. It's something I've seen hundreds of times on the way to places, yet never stopped there to take a proper look. Even if I don't get any good photos, it'll be fun going.
nynfortoo wrote:
I think I know what I'm going to shoot now; I had a good think about it when I couldn't sleep last night. It's something I've seen hundreds of times on the way to places, yet never stopped there to take a proper look. Even if I don't get any good photos, it'll be fun going.

I know exactly what I am going to take a photo of, or at least the area where it'll be. Annoyingly, if I see anything interesting along this line in France (where I will be for the next few days) then I'll either have to give that one or the new one a miss (in terms of posting it to the contest). Boo!
Curiosity wrote:
I know exactly what I am going to take a photo of, or at least the area where it'll be. Annoyingly, if I see anything interesting along this line in France (where I will be for the next few days) then I'll either have to give that one or the new one a miss (in terms of posting it to the contest). Boo!
Don't forget you could always post your "discard" it in this thread for discussion, and in fact, if people did that it'd be a nice way to keep this thread lively between now and the closing date.
Then I shall do just that!
Curiosity wrote:
Then I shall do just that!
And I will take credit for the idea while stroking my beard!

::strokes::
Curiosity wrote:

But a good photo is a good photo, even if it isn't submitted. It'll be worth it regardless :)

Have fun in France, chap. Make sure to give as many of them the Vs as you can :hat:
There's some lovely crapped out old sheds on the A41 on the way up to Chester, but I have no way of getting there at the moment :(
Kill enough people to send a UAV.
I have something, I'm not sure I like it, I'm not sure it strictly even fits the criteria... but we'll see.
No but I really wish I'd thought of that now.
After all these years, I've finally worked out the pun. I'm quick, me.
Hahahahaha burnt out pushbike!
Can I have the login details pwease Mimi?
Page 2 of 4 [ 165 posts ]