Cyberpunk 2077
Cyberpunk 2077 By CD Projekt
Reply
Okay, so CD Projekt, makers of the Witcher games, are apparently making a computer RPG of the old Cyberpunk 2020 pen and paper RPG.

I hope they don't update the style of the thing, it should be 80s-wires-everywhere-where-everyone-has-ridiculous-hair-and-big-leopard-print-guns style CP.

Oh, Trauma Team! They've got to be in it! And cyber-psychos! And rockers! And Solos!
Edited: Feel free to keep playing
Oooh, and it has a ridiculous timeline of riots and megacorporations!

*notes for work tomorrow*

Image

In the meantime, why not play Technobabylon?
Well here's your leopard print:

http://i.minus.com/ikc0g3gyQOFrw.bmp

That's the only piece of concept art they released, apparently.

And here's what they promise:

http://www.abload.de/img/ib0zlje1nq0dq1uc7hu.png

They're one of the top top developers out there at the minute if you ask me. They play by their own rules, they've made a bundle off the Witcher games (they can take their time on this and give it some love), and they treat their customers with respect (for example, they updated the PC version of Witcher 2 in-line with the console version for free). This will probably be very good.
PSYCHED.

Although I'm even more psyched for Shadowrun Returns: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161 ... un-returns
Really? Because the only shadowrun attempt to date has been appalling. I still think Necromunda is ideal IP for something like this.
Craster wrote:
Really? Because the only shadowrun attempt to date has been appalling.
1) I adored the pen&paper game. I still have fifty or so sourcebooks in my attic.

2) You're wrong, because you've forgotten the really good SNES game.
Ah - I've already told WTB that all Nintendo games are shit. I can't back down on that now.
Craster wrote:
Ah - I've already told WTB that all Nintendo games are shit. I can't back down on that now.


Don't worry, there's also the completely different Sega version that most people didn't know existed, and... er... apparently a Sega CD version that even I didn't know existed!
Craster wrote:
Ah - I've already told WTB that all Nintendo games are shit. I can't back down on that now.



:D
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
PSYCHED.

Although I'm even more psyched for Shadowrun Returns: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/161 ... un-returns

This.

Chummer. Or choomba.

Pleased to see that there will be a character creator. Fingers crossed that the totally impractical roles from the pen and paper game will be in, because I always found the Rocker class completely hilarious.
Shadowrun Returns is out on Steam this week. Turn Based Goodness.

/Crosses fingers and mutters "Please be good, please be good"


http://harebrained-schemes.com/shadowru ... n-returns/
It's reviewing very well. 12 hour main campaign is a thumbs up from me -- I might actually finish it. I'll be ordering it later via Steam for Mac. I'd consider the iPad version but I want to see the level editor.

Although discussing Shadowrun in the Cyberpunk 2020 thread is confusing me.
CD Projekt Red went disturbingly quiet on their Cyberpunk game... But now they've released a trailer: and the aesthetic is definitely "the 80s but in the future" which excites me terribly!
The hype train is real

I am quite excited.
The first post in this thread dates back to 2012 and the game is still years away from completion. Gulp.
I read something that says it is fully playable from start to finish whatever that means. Maybe that's just the main storyline and they want to spend more time filling it out with more stuff.
But there's also this:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... t-about-it

Quote:
What platforms will Cyberpunk come out on?

Patrick Mills: The game will be coming out on Xbox One, PS4 and PC. At the moment.


I am not alone in reading that "at the moment" hedge as meaning "but it might slip to the next generation of consoles and/or it might ship cross-gen." It's difficult to imagine even the relatively mighty Xbox One X having the level of graphical detail that's in that gameplay video, which clearly came off a fire-breathing PC.
Or maybe it'll come to Switch too!
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The first post in this thread dates back to 2012 and the game is still years away from completion. Gulp.

This isn't the Star Citizen thread. GODDDDDDDDD.
LewieP wrote:
2077.



I believe I made this thread before the title was known. In 2012. Before the initial teaser trailer.

In fact....*changes the title to reflect the important information as arguably the fact it is based on seminal RPG Cyberpunk 2020 is more Important than the mere title. Also outside chance that they'll have to change the title of the game because the release date is too close to 2077*
Don't be a dick. This is a thread about the CRPG, which is unambiguously called 2077.
I’ve not played the first one.
Delayed until September. Also

Quote:
As part of a CD Projekt Red press conference following Cyberpunk 2077's five-month delay, the Polish developer confirmed that it will be asking its employees to work extra long hours to finish the much-anticipated role-playing game ahead of its scheduled release in September.


What an impressive amount of research they are doing to make a game set in a hypercapitalist hellascape hellscape!
A hellascape sounds pretty cool.
Holla to the hella
I have half an idea that we won't actually see it released.
Pundabaya wrote:
I have half an idea that we won't actually see it released.


So your theory is that they're going to work for years on their big new game and then just not release it? I'd put that half-idea back until it becomes a full idea because right now it doesn't make a lick of sense.
I guess he means that it might be in some state of development hell and it'll never actually get finished. I don't think so, though. I think it's just an ambitious game of the sort that's prone to having a lot of bugs to chase down.
Pushing a game back six months with two months to go to the original release date isn't a great look, and stinks of "fuuuck fuuuck, we don't actually have a game! we have a few disparate levels but it doesn't hang together at all, and the plot's a fucking mess!". If they have to push it back further it also falls into the "but... what's the point of releasing it on current gen consoles?" trap. So either we get a Destiny 1/Anthem style "rip it to bits and jam it back together into kind of a working game" and hope to fix it later (which worked with Destiny, less so with Anthem) or it keeps slipping.

I hope it's just squashing bugs, but if it was that, why didn't they push it back earlier?
Perhaps they thought they'd be able to squash all the bugs in time.
Bamba wrote:
So your theory is that they're going to work for years on their big new game and then just not release it?

Plenty of games get half-built and never released. Fable Legends is a good recent example, Silent Hills a few years ago, Star Craft: Ghost before that.

And Star Citizen at some point in the future ;)
So that's going to be six months of hellish crunch for the developers, on top of what they've probably already gone through.

The head of the studio is basically admitting as much.
Grim... wrote:
Bamba wrote:
So your theory is that they're going to work for years on their big new game and then just not release it?

Plenty of games get half-built and never released. Fable Legends is a good recent example, Silent Hills a few years ago, Star Craft: Ghost before that.

And Star Citizen at some point in the future ;)


I can't speak to your other examples--though the fact that I've never heard of them didn't say much good about them--but Silent Hills never made it much past the teaser stage and was cancelled due to internal politics. This game has no such internecine issues and was very close to it's original actual release date so that's a really poor comparison.
We don't have any idea what state of development Silent Hills was at, but it was three years "old" when it all fell apart.

And it's a perfectly good example of "big games get cancelled".

Surprised you never heard of StarCraft: Ghost, though.
My point was that SH getting cancelled was under pretty unique circumstances which I don't believe can really get generalized to other games ('big' or otherwise). And certainly none of it's hassles apply here. Either way, given how close to release this was and the stuff we've seen of it thus far and the pedigree of the studio for making complex RPG games; to come out with "it's going to get cancelled!" versus "it just needs more polishing" comes across like a conspiracy theory. Could it be true? I mean, sure. Is it likely given the information we currently have? God no.
I would certainly be very surprised.
Most people will have finished Final Fantasy by then so won't have to make the choice between the two game so that should shift a couple million more units, as that is out in April time I think.
That, Doom 2 and RE3make all come out around April, so I'm glad this has moved.
I have a non-pro PS4. Is the (up to) jump toward PS5 worth the buying a console do we think, or is sooner, better? Or why not both?
MaliA wrote:
I have a non-pro PS4. Is the (up to) jump toward PS5 worth the buying a console do we think, or is sooner, better? Or why not both?


Could you restate your question in a way that makes actual sense?
Bamba wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I have a non-pro PS4. Is the (up to) jump toward PS5 worth the buying a console do we think, or is sooner, better? Or why not both?


Could you restate your question in a way that makes actual sense?


Should I wait and buy on next gen, or is the gap too small to make it worth the outlay compared to my non pro PS4? Or shall I get it, and also get it on PS5?
Personally I'd wait, reckon it'll be loads better on the PS5.
Also: none of us have any real idea, and we won’t until a week+ after launch when Digital Foundry do their thing. It seems quite possibly it’ll be a system killer and either run like a bag of shit or be badly cut back on PS4. But we don’t know.

It’s also possible that PS4 cross gen games might get free upgrades to the PS5 version. Microsoft have such a scheme for Xbox. Sony might follow suit.
The loading times alone will be an argument to get it on the PS5 with it's SSD to my mind; it's a very safe assumption to make that they'll be shit loads quicker on the new console. Plus you should get 60FPS out of it on the new console whereas I would very much expect it to be 30 on the even the PS4 Pro. Although those are just slightly wild assumptions on my part of course and ultimately it depends how much you're desperate to play it sooner rather than later. I don't much care about games the instant they're released so am more than happy to wait and get the superior experience.

ETA: I'd be very sceptical of its performance on the base PS4 and if that's what you've got then personally I'd advise waiting until you upgrade to the next gen.
Page 1 of 2 [ 55 posts ]