1st world problems
shit that dont matter but does
The milkman hasn't been.
No, not in the last 20 years or so.
Did he turn up at all that day?
Gave in and turned the heating on yesterday. But I went to bed with a hot water bottle for the first time in decades, so not all bad.
I put the heating on one day last week, the first day I had frost on the van windows. There's been interference by other members of the household since then, as the temp has fluctuated.
"We'll pop in and get a few things as I don't want to go back home then just one of us go back to the supermarket"
"It'll be horrific"
"the kids will be fine"

An hour later and it was horrific.

Still, come the 4th November, at least we won't have to worry about well stacked shelves, or choice, eh? Horse rustling is going to go right up.
Also:

"I need a new wooden swing seat. I'll just google it."

£159! Jesus wept.

Might swap it for a monkey seat.
Felt like having a Guinness for a change (the nights are drawing in, after all).

When I ordered a second and paid for it, the barman informed me that they had a "2 for £6" deal.

"I'm used to paying single supplements," I replied.
Went to my favourite barbers today for my quarterly shearing. As usual, I went for nothing fancy ("yes, I know it's winter but I'm serious about the grade 3"), and left agonising over whether you're supposed to tip.

On the plus side, the flame-in-the-ear thing is still strangely satisfying.
Flame on your ear? What is that for?
Mimi wrote:

Gets rid of any stray hairs that you might not want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQ4TcyzSlA
I round up to a tenner. Sucks to be my current barber who charges a tenner.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Huh! Does it smell like burning hair?

Also, that guy’s fade does not seem awfully level.
BikNorton wrote:

Running a set of clippers over my head is £23. I do not tip.
Whoa! Ginger tax?
Wow... I think I paid £20 for some clippers about 8 or 9 years ago. They've cut my hair every two weeks since then.

I have hated every time.
The one I go to accepts that I won't engage in conversation. That's probably worth something.
Kern wrote:
The one I go to accepts that I won't engage in conversation. That's probably worth something.

My tip is calculated on the basis of how much he keeps his fucking mouth shut.
I paid £12.50 for Darwin’s haircut, AND he gets to drive a noisy pink jeep around whilst it’s being done, AND he gets sweets, AND he gets stickers AND he gets a pot of bubbles with a little ball bearing maze on the top.
That is a haircut worth paying for.

I bought clippers many, many years ago, to keep a haircut trim. Kept on doing my own, and have only paid for one haircut in 20+ years (and that in a hopelessly exotic place, for very cheap). I have Australian and US clippers, too, from travels, so am (un)covered most places.
JBR wrote:
That is a haircut worth paying for.

Right? I reckon Craster should come up here for his next haircut.
I pay £7. Because university.
Mimi wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Yep. They also offer to wax nose hair at my barbers but I decline. Firmly.
Mimi wrote:
Whoa! Ginger tax?

:DD
Cras wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

BUY SOME CLIPPERS FOR £20.
Do something myself I can have someone else do? Odd.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Yep. They also offer to wax nose hair at my barbers but I decline. Firmly.

They what? Are you sure that’s a barbers and not some weird S&M torture palace.

(I almost wrote M&S then, but their torture day is pension day).
Cras wrote:
Do something myself I can have someone else do? Odd.

I mean...
Kern wrote:
On the plus side, the flame-in-the-ear thing is still strangely satisfying.

I only experienced this very recently and also find it very satisfying. Much less so the nose waxing I've also recently been offered. It's fine at the time and doesn't hurt but for about a week afterwards my nose was totally fucked. Turns out that at least some of the hair is there for a reason; who knew? Never again.

BikNorton wrote:

:this:

Cras wrote:

23 fucking quid?! That's nearly four times what I pay for an actual haircut, even by usual London mark-up standards that seems excessive.
It is, but it's my own fault really. I get my hair cut on work time because who wouldn't, but that means going to a barbers where every other customer is a millionaire banker
The collective noun for Bankers is a wunch
The boss booked Mr. flis into his barber a few weeks ago, and he paid £23 for it! Mr. flis said "That's a years worth of haircuts at my usual place!"

Also, his hair didn't look as nice as when he goes to his usual place so definitely not worth it.
My last haircut was £32, because London.

To be fair, it is normally less than that, but I needed one badly and decided to try the fancy place literally next to my office. It was nice.
For £32 I'd expect at least a choice of drinks.
I'm in the clippers crew.

Soon I'll be in the skull shaver crew!
Save yourself £100 and don't bother (had some myself and they don't work well for long - yeah I even changed the head)

Wilkinson Sword Extra Sensitive 2 Men's 10 pack £2.99 FTW!
Kern wrote:
For £32 I'd expect at least a choice of drinks.

They offered coffee, whisky, or beer.
Zardoz wrote:
Save yourself £100 and don't bother (had some myself and they don't work well for long - yeah I even changed the head)

Wilkinson Sword Extra Sensitive 2 Men's 10 pack £2.99 FTW!

I was worried that might be the case.

I can't get on with shaving my head with razors. For starters I worry I'll miss a bit.
My brother (who some of you met at the Christmas quiz one year) pays £11 for his cut in Soho. My other brother pays £8, but I’m not sure what part of London his barber is in.
If you're already burning the hair out of your ears just do the same thing with your heads. Get some lighter fluid. £1.50 job done.
Grim... wrote:
For starters I worry I'll miss a bit.

Just feel your head!
I've just used a £40 pair of clippers for the past 2 years or so.

Much cheaper than getting it done.
Zardoz wrote:
Grim... wrote:
For starters I worry I'll miss a bit.

Just feel your head!

Ha! Dunno about Grim.... But I miss bits of my beard even when I'm looking in a mirror and rubbing it. My face.
flis wrote:
his hair didn't look as nice as when he goes to his usual place so definitely not worth it.

The wrist bit is that someone else having screwed it up both throws the normal guy off and messes with expectations.

Yet another reason to never move.
I bought clippers when I was 15 and have been using them ever since. I funnel the money I save into resin hoarding.
Dimrill wrote:
I bought clippers when I was 15 and have been using them ever since. I funnel the money I save into resin hoarding.

Druggist
Dimrill wrote:

Violin bow lubracatist.
Squirt wrote:
Due to some office moves, I now have to go through 3 sets of security doors, using my pass, and then the same on the way back, just to go to the loo.

This loo has now broken, so I have to go up 6 floors in a lift and then through ANOTHER set of doors.
Page 32 of 43 [ 2125 posts ]