Windows 8
Had a look and could not find a thread.

Has anyone played with this yes, I am going to dual boot a machine to have a go.
It's a step too far. Seems to be a horrible mash of conflicting ideas.
The touch screen and the non touch screen stuff mixed?
The interface is truly horrendous - basically they've bolted on a touchscreen interface which is more suitable for use on a mobile phone.

Avoid!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/03 ... _windows8/
Not really going to avoid, but then it could change before commercial release?
I'm all for them giving an alternative interface for touchscreen users, but favouring it at the expense of mouse and keyboard types is a mistake. Removing the start menu is going to cause a huge wave of confusion amongst less technically minded users. And don't try and tell me that people are more tech savvy these days. I know for a fact that people learn as much as they need to know and then stop.
I like the looks of it but then again, I have a Windows phone so it's exactly the same as that.

Davpaz is right though, people won't like the change.
TheVision wrote:
Davpaz is right

Finally, a sig quote!
TheVision wrote:
Davpaz is right though, people won't like the change.

I don't think it's that. Most people at work seemed to really like the change from XP to Windows 7. People won't like this because it is fucking stupid.
I am old enough to remember the introduction of the start button, we managed before that :)
Pretty confident I'll skip this one.
Somewhere around here I have a copy of PC Gamer US with a comparison of Win95 and OS/2 Warp, wondering which will be better for games. :D
I installed it on a newish HP tablet (2740) 4G of ram and 2 CPU.

I’ll put aside all the missing drivers and things like .Net 4, that hopefully will be addressed in the final version.

For a touch screen once you have played with it then it’s not too bad as an interface. Problem is people will expect this to work on any hardware. When it comes to touchscreens the quality of the hardware will play a big part. The HP tablet was shit compared with an IPAD, it locked up, and the screen would change from landscape to portrait for no reason. I was already aware this might be the case as I had to deploy 20 IPADS to some of our sales force as they were having these issues with tablets on Windows 7, I had hoped that 8 might improve this.

The worst thing is the removal of the start button, at work once you have used your Windows 7 PC for a few weeks this is a brilliant search tool (as long as the indexing is on) it will find documents, emails, just by typing in keywords. To have moved this to the right hand horizontal side is a bad idea. Once you know where to look accessing it is ok with a touch screen, but is horrible with a normal mouse set up.

Hopefully they will fix this for desktops and laptops
asfish wrote:
IPAD... IPADS...
Why are you SHOUTING?!
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
asfish wrote:
IPAD... IPADS...
Why are you SHOUTING?!

Sorry!
Yo, if Apple (and others) can ram a capital into the middle of a word and refuse a capital at the start even with a new sentence, I'm fairly sure it can be stylised as an acronym if we want.

We just need to figure out what it stands for.
asfish wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
asfish wrote:
IPAD... IPADS...
Why are you SHOUTING?!

Sorry!
:)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
asfish wrote:
IPAD... IPADS...
Why are you SHOUTING?!

Also, HANG THE FUCK ON! Who are you to talk to people about volume?

:D
Grim... wrote:
Also, HANG THE FUCK ON! Who are you to talk to people about volume?

A noted expert in the field.
DavPaz wrote:
I'm all for them giving an alternative interface for touchscreen users, but favouring it at the expense of mouse and keyboard types is a mistake. Removing the start menu is going to cause a huge wave of confusion amongst less technically minded users. And don't try and tell me that people are more tech savvy these days. I know for a fact that people learn as much as they need to know and then stop.

I remember loads of people being up in arms when Win95 was released, mainly due to the introduction of the Start button.
KovacsC wrote:
I am old enough to remember the introduction of the start button, we managed before that :)

Me too :)
KovacsC wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHHA!

That's fucking hilarious.
Grim... wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

BWAHAHAHAHAHHA!

That's fucking hilarious.

Even for him, that's still priceless.
That made me properly burst out laughing at work :DD
I should have put my quote on Myps..... :DD
:facepalm:

I was not replying to myself!
KovacsC wrote:
KovacsC wrote:

You should have a chat with Kovacs, I think he is as well.
installed, first impressions. I like it, very boxie :)
I really like it.

Start button brings up the metro(?) page, on the right hand side has (search, setting, start, devices, share)
The main page has the basics and allows you to pin apps web pages etc

I will play more later.
I am about to upgrade to Windows7 from WindowsXP.

This tells you something about how eager I am to adopt the unfamiliar. Mind you, I think it was pretty wise not to go to Vista and I don't regret it.
Well XP is only over 10 years old isn't it.

I on the other had, like change, and makes it even better that I don't have to pay for it!
ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:

This tells you something about how eager I am to adopt the unfamiliar. Mind you, I think it was pretty wise not to go to Vista and I don't regret it.

I only did that myself a month or two back. On the whole it was probably the right thing to do, but it's annoying that the support of my current graphics card seems worse under 7 than XP. When I stream video on my second screen, it stutters horribly. Looks like I'll just have to fork out for another graphics card.
devilman wrote:
Looks like I'll just have to fork out for another graphics card.

Make sure you get one that runs the same drivers as the one you've already got (ie. get another nVidia one if that's what you already have). XP would let you have two completely different graphics cards, anything after that won't.
Grim... wrote:
devilman wrote:
Looks like I'll just have to fork out for another graphics card.

Make sure you get one that runs the same drivers as the one you've already got (ie. get another nVidia one if that's what you already have). XP would let you have two completely different graphics cards, anything after that won't.

Ah, I was going to go for another graphics card with dual output. My current one has DVI and VGA so I was going to get something similar, as I'm pretty sure I've only got the one PCI-E slot.
or get any but you will have to unistall the drivers etc..

As Grimm.... said just see what chipset you have, and buy a later version.
Ah, I thought he meant at the same time. I think Windows deals will automatically chose the right set of drivers to use if you only have one card installed.
I might have to do a RMD type post when I get home as I hate buying graphics cards. :)
devilman wrote:
ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:

I only did that myself a month or two back. On the whole it was probably the right thing to do, but it's annoying that the support of my current graphics card seems worse under 7 than XP. When I stream video on my second screen, it stutters horribly. Looks like I'll just have to fork out for another graphics card.

Decided to turn off all the visual effects within Windows and the flash video performance is a lot better. I then turned on a few of the effects I wanted, like font-smoothing and thumbnailed images and it's still ok. I should probably get a decent graphics card eventually, but at least there's no great rush now.
Gabe Newell says Windows 8 is a 'catastrophe'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377

Quote:
Microsoft takes a cut, up to 30%, of every sale made through (The Windows Store).

This could be a significant threat to the massively successful Steam online game store that Valve runs and which gives it a commission on every title sold through the online market.

A Windows Store closed to everyone but Microsoft might reduce the range of games available for sale through Steam.

Ah, that's what he's worried about.

Quote:
One harbinger of this future was perhaps found, he said, in the success of one Team Fortress player in Kansas who was earning $150,000 (£97,000) a year making virtual hats.

:S

That too. Specifically this

Wait, Gabe Newell post with no pictures of the man himself?

Apparently you can now try out the final version of Windows 8 for 90 days.

Does anyone know how hard it is to install this on a separate partion? I'm tempted to have a play with it.
Very easy. I did it a few months back.
As part of my ongoing gfx card woes I was running two installs of Windows 7 on different hard drives last week with no issues at all so I'd assume you can do the same with Windows 8. Indeed, now you've mentioned that, I might give it a shot myself.
Very reassuring. I'm tempted to have a mess around with it since it's free but I should really sort my RAM out first. I've only got 2gb at the moment.
I stuck the Release Preview in a VM, and t'were easy. I've barely played with it but have two impressions so far: the Metro Modern UI stuff is jarring, but only because it's different; I'm not hating it because of that. Second, it starts up and shuts down fucking quickly, quicker even than the host PC despite being in a VM using a hard disk not an SSD. It feels pretty snappy in pootling around too, again considering it's in a VM - and the RTM apparently has extra tune-ups.
TheVision wrote:
Apparently you can now try out the final version of Windows 8 for 90 days.

Does anyone know how hard it is to install this on a separate partion? I'm tempted to have a play with it.

Are you some kind of a masochist? ;)

Or do you like the shitty, incredibly ugly UI that was once named Metro?
I think it's really nice. It's got some real problems - the Metro/Desktop interaction is a confusing mess, and it needs about a million times more settings options to let you configure more things, but hopefully it'll get there. As a tablet UI I think it's great, and I'll be certainly trying to get hold of a WinRT Surface device. As a desktop UI I'm less convinced, and I think people will rapidly get used to making Metro get out of the way so they can just get back to the desktop.
I like Metro too - like Cras says it's more suited to touch interfaces.
I'd like an RT tab on release day, but in practical terms, I need a Pro which unfortunately look like they may be delayed a bit (as is the Surface pro).
Yeah, it's fine on a tablet, but fuckin' shit on a Desktop.
Page 1 of 5 [ 234 posts ]