Homebrew-me-do
Not coding though, you geek
Just bought 6lbs Crystal Malt so might try to get another brew on tonight after bottling. I will double hop again.
MaliA wrote:
Exciting evening!
Measure it, mix it, mash it, strain it, boil it, ferment it.

Numbers to follow...

Was 1054. Now 1012. Doesn't taste sweet. Might bottle tomorrow. 5.65%
Borgo Brewing Presents "-10" a strong pale ale. Very limited edition artisan beer.
Brew on!

Lesson learned: Measure out your stuff before hand. I heated water to 70 degrees for the mash, added 200g Crstal malt and then went to add in the kilo of pale malt I had left over. I only had 700g. So I added another 50g crystal. So there is 26% crystal malt in there and a supplier I no longer trust.

It is currently mashing.
On the boil! This should be a bit hopper than the -10 but I will try to make it not as strong ( i diluted it down to 1044)

Incidentally, the kit beer I made for the cottage is good enough for me to gave drunk 2 litres of it today.

Cider is still bubbling away. Cider is at 5.7% and now dry but not sharp. Mellowed since last time and is pretty drinkable
I want sample bottles of all of these! :)
Bobbyaro wrote:
I want sample bottles of all of these! :)

I done you one already.

Fermentation is go on the new brew after a worrying 24 hours. This should be about 4.4% if it goes as far as the other one.
7.5 litres Turbo Cider @ 5.75%.
Someone has to get you a label maker for Christmas.
That would be ideal.
Borgo Brewing declares "The Big Z" artisanal cider is drinkable.
"Artisanal cider (from concentrate)" is the best label.

And should you have failures in future, remember it can at least be used to cook pigs in, rather than simply being poured away.
BikNorton wrote:
"Artisanal cider (from concentrate)" is the best label.

And should you have failures in future, remember it can at least be used to cook pigs in, rather than simply being poured away.

Good call!

Here's what is being bottled now, a 4.7% caramel tasting beer.5l batches have a downside though...

Anyways, Borgo Brewing presents "+10". An artisanal caramel beer.
MaliA wrote:
5l batches have a downside though...
they only last a weekend?
BikNorton wrote:
MaliA wrote:
5l batches have a downside though...
they only last a weekend?

Oh, but to have the time to sit down and enjoy a beer. I think I have about 65 pints of booze in the garage right now in bottkes and about another 8 in a keg.
I'm not sure you've quite got the homebrew balance right yet.
Better than the other way round!

That beer looks nice.
Nice one, Mali, You're really getting the hang of this!
More luck than design. It is surprisingly easy, it is just slightly equipment and time intensive for me at the moment. It takes 3.5 hours for me to do 5 litre brews or 5.5 to do 10litres. The main time difference is boiling 12 to 13 litres of wort up and cooling it again. I think the immersion cooler I will make can cut chunks of time off (copper tube coiled up with cold water in it to heat exchange) as might boiling 2x 6 litres of wort. So I think I need a second 15l pot and a massive seive.
Our mate hooks his wort cooler pipe up to the garden tap.
MaliA wrote:
30 bottles of camping beer bought to get the bottles. 30 bottles of camping beer to drink to get the bottles. Tough life.

Even tougher when your caps do not fit the bottles!
Toffee apple! The beer tastes a bit like a toffee apple with a beer taste. That is the best way to describe it.
MaliA wrote:
Toffee apple! The beer tastes a bit like a toffee apple with a beer taste. That is the best way to describe it.

Sounds too sweet.
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Sounds too sweet.

I will bring some in 14 sleeps.
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Sounds too sweet.

It is the 26% crstal malt that is pulling that sweetness and flavour through. I have been trying to think of a beer to compare it to. I might try at 18% and see where it comes out at. I have loads of it that needs using you see, so I might get a 10l brew on which should use up another 3/4 lb.
MaliA wrote:
Borgo Brewing Presents "-10" a strong pale ale. Very limited edition artisan beer.

Had a try last night. It is drinkable. Which is a relief.

Cider described as "dry" and "tastes of concentrated apple juice, with booze in it".

Going for a single hopped amber ale tonight. Will aim for 4% (again) in a 10l brew.
Boil is on!

400g crYstal malt.
1700g pale malt

Mash in 6l water at 67 (after 1 hour dropped to 65), sparge 8l 80 degrees for 10. Bring to boil. Add c 30g chinook hops.

Will add another 15g in 10 mins. Then another 15 in 35 mins.

Check og, then chill and pitch yeast.

Edit: this is turning into a heavily hopped high OG amber right now. I might let arrest this and try and pull it into 4.5% range.

Edit 2: should run out at 5.1% if it ferments like the others. I have about 2 gallons worth in the FV.
I think I have been too light on hops on the past 2 ag brews. This is why the sweetness taste is there. I added loads more hops to this and the sample was massivly bitter.

So kids, chuck the hops in.
MaliA wrote:
I think I have been too light on hops on the past 2 ag brews. This is why the sweetness taste is there. I added loads more hops to this and the sample was massivly bitter.

Glad you've seen the light.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10103&p=838623&hilit=over+hopped#p838623
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I still stand by that. I don't have accurate enough scales to measure hops out so "this much" is about as good as I can get. "This much" was not enough, but I think I have gone to "too much".
MaliA wrote:
Future Warrior wrote:
MaliA wrote:

I still stand by that. I don't have accurate enough scales to measure hops out so "this much" is about as good as I can get. "This much" was not enough, but I think I have gone to "too much".

No such thing.
First attempt at a Landlord clone is mashing now... and the last of the dry hopped tin is slipping down.
Cooling the wort now. The big pan is in the sink which has what used to be cold water in it. A few changes of thus and it should be ready to pitch the yeast. Hopefully done by 1am. I could start earlier, but The Child and boiling sugared water is a poor combination. I made more changes to my netrunner Corp deck in the time the wort was boiling.

Edit: 10l done at 1045. Should run out to 4.5 to 4.7%. 5 hours in total. Flies by.
Tonight I am bottling my American Amber Ale. Landlord will have 2 weeks in FV due to holidays. I might make a brew and put ALL THE HOPS in too see what happens.
Chinook hopped 4.7% American Amber Ale. Tasted the best so far from the FV. Longer fermentation times are clearly better
Wow, you are really getting into this!
Bobbyaro wrote:

Shame we had to suffer that swill at the bbq, but it was for the greater good. ;)
Future Warrior wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

Shame we had to suffer that swill at the bbq, but it was for the greater good. ;)

:)
I love the fact that it somehow defies gravity.
Jem wrote:
I love the fact that it somehow defies gravity.

Needs more filtering.
MaliA wrote:
Chinook hopped 4.7% American Amber Ale. Tasted the best so far from the FV. Longer fermentation times are clearly better

Opened the first bottle of this just now. I really like how this has turned out. Biggest flavour so far followed by hoppy aftertaste.

Time to bottle the landlord clone now. Which is 5.2% after 17 days in the fermenter. Oops.
I made some Quince Vodka and bottled it this week.

Very nice, its sweet to such a degree that you don't really get a burn from the vodka, but at the same time its not over sweet.

Recipe the same as Sloe Gin, just bung fruit, sugar and booze in a jar and leave for 5 weeks or more.

I had a lot of Quince from my tree this year and this was the last thing I made after Jam, Jelly and poaching, wish I'd saved more fruit so I could have made more of this!
We do blackberry/raspberry vodka/gin every year now. All four are ace.

This year also sees sloe gin... And fatalii vodka, and Carolina reaper vodka.
Tonight we are trying:

1.6kg pale malt
400g crYstal malt
100g black malt

In a 6litre mash which should end up as a 10l brew fermenting away. I think I will use chinook hops to bitter and aroma it with goldings.

Mash should be 1 hour at 68 degrees and boil for an hour. Add half chinook at boil start, half after 30 mins and aroma 10 mins from end .

Edit: realising I was actually making a porter, I added first gold hops at 30 minutes and again at 55 minutes with some irish moss.I did not use goldings.

Edit: 1051 so should run out to 6% if I let it.
How many litres have you made now?
Bobbyaro wrote:
How many litres have you made now?

In total? About 10 gallons I think.
Answer the question!
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Opened the first bottle of this just now. I really like how this has turned out. Biggest flavour so far followed by hoppy aftertaste.

Time to bottle the landlord clone now. Which is 5.2% after 17 days in the fermenter. Oops.

Landlord clone is drinkable. Not a lot like landlord, though.

It is carbonated, but no head. I suspect I am under priming bottles.

Anyways, Maple Porter to be made tonight.
Right.

1600g pale malt, 400g Crystal malt, 100g black malt. Mashed at 68 for an hour in 7 litres, end temp 65. Sparge with 7 litres at 80 for 10 minutes.Boil for an hour, 60g each of East Kent Goldings, styrian goldings and first gold added . At 55 minutes added 454g honey, 60g first gold and 5g irish moss. 1065 og so should run out at 7.4%. Hopefully it should be a nice hoppy porter.
When are you bringing my crate down? :-)
Page 5 of 12 [ 569 posts ]