The stupidest thing you have bought recently (in pictures)
or: 'I don't understand money'
Here is a pictorial guide as to the stupid things that I have spent my money on. I hope other will also post pictures of the stupid things that tha=ey have chosen to have rather than money.

Here are my two most recent silly purchases:

(yes, I know)

and

So, some monkey slippers and a vinyl action figure of the Dread Pirate Roberts.

(pictures taken from the sites I bought these items from as neither have arrived, yet)

So... You?
the slippers are awesome, stupidest? rock band shirley.
The slippers are indeed awesome.

I bought an obscene amount of pizza from dominos earlier, as I hadn't actually eaten for about 48 hours. So much, I'm embarrased to say how much it cost.

Some of the above may explain why I've been even weirder than normal recently...
I bought the slippers by complete accident, a moment ago.

I just couldn't help myself.
I'd thought the second picture was suggesting you'd actually bought the outfit in question, which would of course be unquestionably excellent. Those slippers are, of course, magnificent.

Now I genuinely fear my next drunken eBay session will involve me buying a pirate costume.
Hehe, now I wish I HAD bought a pirate costume!
There is a pirate theme night in a month at a rock pub I go to. I may have to get a full outfit...

Last year I just had a pathetic kids thing from Argos!
Oh. should have said that Nan brewed beer a good 15 years ago.
Mimi wrote:
Oh. should have said that Nan brewed beer a good 15 years ago.

Just kicked in, has it?
SteONorDar wrote:
There is a pirate theme night in a month at a rock pub I go to. I may have to get a full outfit...

Really though, wearing an eyepatch whilst wearing a sharp suit would look ace on a night out. Well, at least in theory. It might just make people think you've got a runny yellow eye under there.
Mark X wrote:
SteONorDar wrote:

Really though, wearing an eyepatch whilst wearing a sharp suit would look ace on a night out. Well, at least in theory. It might just make people think you've got a runny yellow eye under there.

Hmm. I'm not exactly sharp suit material. However, I shall suggest that to a friend who may well do it!
I too fail to see how the slippers are anything but awesome.
SteONorDar wrote:
Hmm. I'm not exactly sharp suit material. However, I shall suggest that to a friend who may well do it!

Oh, come on. Not even when you could look like this:

The last thing I bought that wasn't food or soap was a trip to Canterbury to visit a chum in hospital, in February. Oh, and these:

was it really worth a cow though?
I bought Temple of the Dog on Amazon the other day:

...and then decided I couldn't wait for it to turn up, so also downloaded it off iTunes. No wonder I'm always broke.
Just for balance with everyone digging the slippers, I have to say that the Dread Pirate Roberts is most triumphant.

Oh, Christ, I've just remembered what the stupidest thing I've bought recently is. Picture later.
Thankyou! :smug:

Ace slippers and an ace Dread Pirate Roberts!

That justifies me spending monkey in the first place! Huzzah!
Mimi wrote:
spending monkey

I don't think he'll be very happy with that...

Malc
rock band, pics unrequired/.
I've bought one of these, should be arriving today!

best thing is it works with the iPhone, so it's like having a 60 disc CD changer :nerd:
Ooo... 'ow much was that then, andyb?

//edit: £209! Shit! Fuck that for a game of tin soldiers, I'll stick with my current head unit I think ;)
GazChap wrote:
Ooo... 'ow much was that then, andyb?

//edit: £209! Shit! Fuck that for a game of tin soldiers, I'll stick with my current head unit I think ;)

Alpine do a cheaper headunit, that still works with iPhones/Ipods (also plays mp3's from USB memory sticks) but doesnt have the screen to show the album art:
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine- ... -6473.html
I haven't bought anything stupid recently, but I did manage to lose 50 quid the other day, which was pretty dumb.
how the hell did you do that?

My accountant just charged me a fucking ripoff £376 to do my accounts after initially telling me it'd probably be 'a couple of hundred quid'. Fucking cuntface.
I'm not sure - I went to the cash machine, took out 50 quid and then 10 mins later couldn't find it anywhere. I'm hoping I just left it in the machine and it munched it back in, but I'm thinking that I just dropped it.
I was walking to school at the tender age of 12 and saw £80 just hanging out of the machine, broad as daylight. i waited, looked, and eventually just took it. I had only just moved to London from the Isle of Sheppey and thought that the streets really WERE paved with gold.
In a similar vein, I once took a tenner out of a cash machine, except I didn't take it out. I took my card, put it back in my wallet, and walked away. When I got to the pub I realised my intense stupidity and contacted the bank. Apparently machines WILL suck the money back in if it's not taken after 10 seconds, and it'll get re-creditted to your account.

In my case, that's what happened, thank christ, but if someone had pinched it in that timeframe I'd have been out of luck. Evidently mimi's incident happened before this technology existed. :)
Oh, yes. I mean, i was standing at there looking at it for more than ten seconds, assuming it belonged to someone standing near by. It felt like a good minute that I was looking at it, but that was probably because my little heart was hammering away with adrenaline and everything seemed to go in slow motion. I checked, re-checked, checked again and slowly approached it. It was about 8:30 in the morning and loads of people were passing by but not one paid any attention or spotted it.

I was shaking when I picked it up as I had never had so much money, and didn't really have pocket money or anything like that and it felt nothing short of amazing.
Mimi, you are so cute.

Did you tell your parents, and what happened to the £80?
Eight thousand penny sweets.
Donation to Grim dot dot dot's donkey sanctuary.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
Apparently machines WILL suck the money back in if it's not taken after 10 seconds, and it'll get re-creditted to your account.

A work friend once said that you if get 2 tens and just slip 1 note out and let the other tenner get sucked back in then you get the whole £20 credited back to your account.

Don't know how true it is of course. I was a witness to some one trying it but never found out the results. You of course could end up losing the money that gets sucked in.
Thief! Thief! I bet that 80 quid belonged to a poor widow who was taking out the last of her money to buy food and clothes for her children. They probably wept themselves to sleep that night, shivering in the cold with their empty stomachs rumbling.
I've managed to curb my habit of buying stupid stuff that seems a good idea at the time. At a car boot the other week I managed to offload my unused Boules set and my mini accordion.

I suppose buying the Pikachu outfit (the one that I took that photo of Sonic wearing the hat part to) might seem a little odd though.
Squirt wrote:
Thief! Thief! I bet that 80 quid belonged to a poor widow who was taking out the last of her money to buy food and clothes for her children. They probably wept themselves to sleep that night, shivering in the cold with their empty stomachs rumbling.

Nah, if it happened today, in an age where machines take the money back, I would grumble at anyone that lurches in to take the cash, but if it was sitting there for ages, 10 or 15 years ago, someone was going to take it anyway, and it's enormously unlikely that the bank would compensate the unfortunate person who drew it out in the first place.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
Mimi, you are so cute.

Did you tell your parents, and what happened to the £80?

I gave it to my grandad (I lived with my grandparents) and he looked after it, but if I wanted anything when we went out to the park or for a walk then it would be taken out of the £80, but it never really was, because it always remained £80 in the biscuit tin we put it in. I usually bought one of those Choc Dips when we went to Golders Green to feed the deer :)

I eventually actually started to use the money for art supplies and stuff, but the money never actually disappeared, my grandad always made sure the tin had at least £10 in case I ever wanted something. I think my biggest purchase from the £80 was a candle making kit. My nan still had all of the candles I made, today. She keeps them all on her dresser in front of her mirror, I think.
Your grandparents were/are AWESOME.
lImage

couldn't help myself after the coppa win buying this enormous dvd set about as roma..
will i ever watch it?
They are.

My Nan is lovely in every way. My grandad has always been the most special person to me, he's just lovely. He's 98 now, recently moved into a care home. He's usually very lively and he's been getting stronger these last few weeks, too, but every now and again he is poorly and his mind plays tricks on him.

He thinks I am 13 at the moment, even when I am sitting beside him and he is looking me in the face. He also thinks I am singing at the Albert Hall all this week. It's made me feel quite sad as in the past when he has got confused when talking about people he knows everything properly in the here and now when they are actually with him. But the last few days he has known everyone else tat has gone to see him as their present selves, just not me.

I think he is just confused because he used to come to watch me sing all of the time. Ah, he is so lovely, though. But it does make me cry.

You know, my grandad still puts £5 aside for me every week. Saves it in a little pot on the windowsill in his room, even though I am in my twentie!. He says to buy something 'nice', even something silly for no reason, just for me. This is why I have such nonsense as the slippers and the Westley Figure - silly things, for me. It's nicer than spending it on the gas bill and that kind of thing, because they are all kind of gifts from my grandad.
That's really, really nice, and 98 is a cracking age, good on him. If I survive to be 98 I'll be well chuffed.

I've only got the one grandparent left, but she's an elephant when it comes to birthdays. She has a bazillion grandchildren, and great grandkids and without fail they all get birthday cards.
Yep, and he still likes to sing a little song when I go to visit, which is nice.

Also, he looks great.

This is him, in January

He always smiles at me with such a giant grin :)
Ah, you know, talking about grandad has really helped. I have been feeling a bit down about my last visit these past few days, but I am smiling now.

I'm off to see him this evening and the nurses say he is feeling much better today, so :)
Awesome people are awesome, we need more like that. I've been trying to find a pic and me and my gran looking insane, but it's eluding me for the moment :D
Mimi wrote:
Yep, and he still likes to sing a little song when I go to visit, which is nice.

Also, he looks great.

This is him, in January

He always smiles at me with such a giant grin :)

Wow.

I love the fact that men can look quite dapper in old age. Often looking more studly (Sean Connery for example).

I'm hoping as I age I'll get that handsome old man look, but it seems I'll just go bald...
Mimi wrote:
He thinks I am 13 at the moment, even when I am sitting beside him and he is looking me in the face.

Were you wearing your lion hat? Because, you know, it'd be easy to confuse you for 13 in that hat ;)

My Nan does the same for me, gives me £5 whenever I visit her. If I protest, she forces it into my hand and threatens to "cut my dolly off" if I don't accept it.

I don't actually go and see her that often (once a year isn't atypical) because she scares me, in some weird way. Always has done, since I was a kid. I'm also not that close to most members of my family, which doesn't help.
Your Granddad is awesome, Mimi.

Mine (I only have one now) had a stroke a few years ago, and now hasn't the faintest idea who I am, or anyone else, aside from his wife (not strictly my nan, but she's lovely and awesome anyway) and my father. It has got to the stage where his wife has told me just to not bother visiting, as he doesn't know who I am and it's just upsetting for me. No point, really.

He was an ace person, though.
I'm thinking Mimi's granddad is actually a clone produced by running Johnny Ball and Humphrey Lytleton into each at high speed, Lynx advert style.
Hehe, excellent. Old people are funny. I hope to be a funny old person one day, not one who just moans about kids on buses.

I am not close to my family, either, but I am my grandparents, and I see one of my half sisters once a month or so, mostly because she has a son who I like taking to the zoo and things like that :) I like my siblings but we are not that close only because we grew up so far apart.

Nynfortoo, I kind of agree with his wife on some level. If you can say goodbye to the ace person he was and keep that great memory of him, and if the visits are upsetting and are not registering with him at all then I think for some people it can be the best, though I'd also say that you should definitely go and visit him if you WANT to.

My grandad was close to passing away a few years ago, and was unconscious and didn't know that anyone was there. I chose not to see him as he wouldn't have known I was there and the last time I had seen him he was healthy and happy, and wanted that to be my last memory. He was sitting up in bed asking for KFC a couple of days later though, the old kidder.

Also: Johnny Ball was my favourite kids presenter - what a great guy! Him and Roy Castle.
Page 1 of 3 [ 138 posts ]