Call of Duty 8: Modern Warfare 3 **OFFICIAL TOPIC**
Out on the 8th of November
WTB wrote:
Cripes. Gonna have to weigh that up. I'll decide after playing the game for a while. I usually get the map packs so it makes sense to get them included (and cheaper) in Elite, but I'm not diving in blind at that price!

Thats the thing for both MW2 and BLOPS i bought all the map packs so thats 4800 for each game , if i did the same with MW3 then buying it beforehand is a slight saving
I want this now!!!

Are there many people on multiplayer, Gilly?
zaphod79 wrote:
WTB wrote:
Cripes. Gonna have to weigh that up. I'll decide after playing the game for a while. I usually get the map packs so it makes sense to get them included (and cheaper) in Elite, but I'm not diving in blind at that price!

Thats the thing for both MW2 and BLOPS i bought all the map packs so thats 4800 for each game , if i did the same with MW3 then buying it beforehand is a slight saving

I will never buy another season pass after Gears 3. Very disappointed with the first DLC pack. I could still have bought all the others individually for the same combined price after giving that one a miss.
MW3 Best Buy £30... I'm tempted!!! But gaaa money!

EDIT: I'm actually tempted by the single player... I like FPS with a bit of a fun story.
Curiosity wrote:
I want this now!!!

Midnight launch so just wait another 8 hours 22 minutes (*)

(*) from the large countdown clock
myp it wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
WTB wrote:

I will never buy another season pass after Gears 3. Very disappointed with the first DLC pack. I could still have bought all the others individually for the same combined price after giving that one a miss.

You're so sour about that! It's delicious! :DD :kiss:

But seriously, it might get better as the "season" rolls on, right? Maybe you'll feel differently after a few good map packs?
Also, not sure whether to nip to Tesco at midnight or just wait until tomorrow. Realistically I could only get a good hour or so in tonight before I'd have to go to bed...
WTB wrote:
You're so sour about that! It's delicious! :DD :kiss:

But seriously, it might get better as the "season" rolls on, right? Maybe you'll feel differently after a few good map packs?

You should've seen Dimrill and Alberto's reaction if you think I'm acting sour! I was fairly sanguine when I found out that the new maps would be available for free at the end of November, as I don't like community splitting with DLC as a general rule. However, it turned out that people without the maps could still join your game as long as the host had them. A bit disappointing for those who'd shelled out the wonga...

Anyway, this thread isn't about Gears of War, so I'll shut up now.
To be fair, I'd be mighty pissed as well had I shelled out. And I probably would've had I bought Gears 3 in the first place. But yeah, CoD!
Aaaah, I forgot I am in Switzerland tomorrow! Aaagh! I will pick it up at the airport tomorrow morning, I am sure it will be cheap there, it is tax free after all! :?
We'll be bored of it by the time you get back.
zaphod79 wrote:
Trailer

RPS take on that trailer: "it’s embarrassingly rubbish"
They have a point. That's cringeworthy.
@ Curio, plenty of games online, not had a problem getting one since Saturday when it was a bit harder. Some people are level 72, or at least they were yesterday! It doesn't tell you how many are online though, all the numbers say zero.
Aw. I actually chuckled at it and thought it was decent, and I'm usually pretty cynical about that sort of thing.
That's a great trailer fools!
Gilly wrote:

:this:

BTW I see that being in the Elite Beta still means i can view peoples stats on MW3 (so can see that Gilly is level 30 , and has an ususual spelling of Assanlt for her fourth class :-)
and that Cookie has played around the same time and is level 20

Ohhh , i can also see there is a riot shield listed in the weapons section !
that isn't a trailer, it's an advert. It is pretty cringe-worthy, but I kinda like it.
zaphod79 wrote:
Gilly wrote:

:this:

BTW I see that being in the Elite Beta still means i can view peoples stats on MW3 (so can see that Gilly is level 30 , and has an ususual spelling of Assanlt for her fourth class :-)
and that Cookie has played around the same time and is level 20

Ohhh , i can also see there is a riot shield listed in the weapons section !

Lol I was in a hurry and couldn't fix the misspelling before the next round started :)
That advert is great :D
Bobbyaro wrote:
Aaaah, I forgot I am in Switzerland tomorrow! Aaagh! I will pick it up at the airport tomorrow morning, I am sure it will be cheap there, it is tax free after all! :?

You will be lucky to get it for under £60 in Switzerland!

zaphod79 wrote:
BTW I see that being in the Elite Beta still means i can view peoples stats on MW3 (so can see that Gilly is level 30 , and has an ususual spelling of Assanlt for her fourth class

Not as stupid as BLOPS for not letting you call a class assault because it has "ass" in the name...fooking ridiculous.
Get! Queue in Tesco was LUDICROUS. Like 200 people. However I got bumped to position 5 for having a preorder receipt! Hahahahahaha! Etc. Can't believe how many people just didn't bother preordering.
So... Chopper support is still way too powerful. They take too many rockets to shoot down and you're given... One rocket.
Does anyone else get a couple of seconds of black screen after a game before the lobby appears?
Okay - got - my local Tesco was a bit of a joke this morning theres *suppose* to be a big display and things but last night they didnt bother putting it out so everything is behind the customer services desk , and then they only have the game and no points cards "oh were sold out of them" , however there were some on the shelf upstairs and then someone from the electrical department came down with a box containing about 50 so they were sent them out just didnt know about them (if you try to pick it up and are told that they dont have any ask them to check because from what I saw and from posts on hotukdeals each store that has the game has also been sent boxes of the cards to sell)
WTB wrote:
So... Chopper support is still way too powerful. They take too many rockets to shoot down and you're given... One rocket.

Thats the same as all the previous ones - either you need your team to work with you or you need a sam turrent (or you need to unlock the multi rocket thing which is probably about level 30)

So about an hours play (only team deathmatch) and first impressions are that its fast / looks good / plenty of things to unlock and badge things (BTW under your name it has your prestige level for all the other games) , the prestige shop is unlocked from the start (i have 2 points from MW2 and BLOPS but have not used them) , no issues to get into a single player game - highest level i've seen is 30 but people are mostly 6's and 7's

The alternative streak reward which continues even if you die is good as is the blackbird equivalent
The maps seem to be highly polished and there are plenty of multi height sections
My brother has been texting me, as he took today and tomorrow off to play it. I am jealous.

Also, shops in the City of London are shit. The Tesco stores that had displays for the game before it came out aren't even selling it in some cases, and none whatsoever have the points cards. Bloody useless.

HMV have loads of copies, but at 45 quid a pop.

Bah.
Best Buy 27.99 ... if you can find a shop.
Oh yeah, I got it for £25 with a points card. They had loads at the York Tesco I went to. Having said that, they probably sold out considering the queue!
itsallwater wrote:

None in London.

Will probably have to bite the bullet for 39 quid in Tesco.
Curiosity wrote:
itsallwater wrote:

None in London.

If you can wait you can order online for tesco with the points and have it delivered (they do 1st class so order now might be with you tomorrow or Thursday)
Curiosity wrote:
My brother has been texting me, as he took today and tomorrow off to play it. I am jealous.

I had a bit of bad luck so decided i might as well use it to my advantage - i got a speeding ticket through a few weeks ago and the offer to do driver awareness training instead of taking the points - could schedule it for any day and since i was burning up a days holiday chose today - so picked up the game from Tesco at 7 , went to the driver awareness thing and i'm back home now - lunch is on cooking and i intend to have the afternoon playing COD

Oh and its 4000 microsoft points for Elite (not 4200 as i previously posted)
I haves it! I will be moaning about the single player soon as possible.
zaphod79 wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
itsallwater wrote:

None in London.

If you can wait you can order online for tesco with the points and have it delivered (they do 1st class so order now might be with you tomorrow or Thursday)

Wait?

WAIT?!?!?!?
So does anyone else get a few seconds of black screen after each multiplayer game and a longer black screen upon selecting multiplayer initially from the main menu screen?
zaphod79 wrote:

Or do what I've done, ordered it through tesco direct and picking it up from the front desk tomorrow. Boo that I'm not flying home until tonight.
WTB wrote:
So does anyone else get a few seconds of black screen after each multiplayer game and a longer black screen upon selecting multiplayer initially from the main menu screen?

Yes i do - although i've set it to start up in multiplayer (Y from main menu)
Veteran is just as ridiculous as ever! And this submarine is like the Tardis!
Tesco in Keighly have loads of copies for sale as of 1345 this afternoon.£28.99 is you spend £20 or so in store. Didn't bother looking any closer, mind you.
MaliA wrote:
Tesco in Keighly have loads of copies for sale as of 1345 this afternoon.£28.99 is you spend £20 or so in store. Didn't bother looking any closer, mind you.

Do you mean Sainsburys ?
zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Do you mean Sainsburys ?

I did. To me, all supermarkets are "Tesco".
MaliA wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Do you mean Sainsburys ?

Funny; to me, they're all Waitrose.
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Do you mean Sainsburys ?

:)

Communist.
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
zaphod79 wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Do you mean Sainsburys ?

:)

Communist.

PCunist, actually.
The supermarket offers (as listed by cheap ass gamer) http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/sho ... p?t=307398

Quote:
Best Buy tuesday only MW3 PS3 and 360 £29.99 instore only

(source Metro newspaper 04/11/11 page 29)
http://e-edition.metro.co.uk/2011/11/04/

Tesco -

£38.91 solus

£25 when bought with 2100 points @ £16.99 or 12 Months live @ £36 or £25 / £35 PSN card.

Available midnight

Link to offer online - http://www.tescoentertainment.com/st...ign=callofduty

(plus in The Sun newspaper 07/11/11)

Morrisons
£39.99 solus

£25 when bought with £34.99 Xbox live 12 Month (+2 months) card
(source Sun newspaper 07/11/11)
Available Tuesday morning (as far as I'm aware)

Asda

Solus £38.97
available midnight

Sainsbury's

£28.99 when spending £30 instore
BTW single player i've not had any issues with lag or finding a game but the Elite stuff is really slow to look at - according to the message on the main screen i've spent about 4.5 hours on the multiplayer and i'm 36% complete (level 80 i think to prestige for this one) - i'm currently at level 28
I'm getting terrible lag in multiplayer. Half of my bullets don't register and I'm warping about all over. It's getting very annoying. Don't experience this in any other games so I assume it's just teething problems? My K/D ratio is the worst I've ever had. :(
WTB wrote:
I'm getting terrible lag in multiplayer. Half of my bullets don't register and I'm warping about all over. It's getting very annoying. Don't experience this in any other games so I assume it's just teething problems? My K/D ratio is the worst I've ever had. :(

Weird - my games have been fine - like the idea of the new modes and the flag protection one is great with riot shields :-)
Call That A Manual more like. What a pathetic excuse of a pamphlet ... etc.

First impressions: pretty; more of the same but MW has always been solid looking. Single player, MP and Spec Ops all on one disc. Glitch free. 60FPS. Nice. I'm sure there's a point in there somewhere.

Anyhoo, when did we skip the single player in a rush to level up quickly on the multiplayer? Last year? Oh ok, ignore me...
Couple of reviews online IGN gave it a 9.0 http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1211872p1.html

Quote:
While Call of Duty games have become formulaic at this point, as evidenced by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3's muddled narrative and at times frustrating design, Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games have refined and polished the Modern Warfare experience to produce the best of the series with the third installment.

And Eurogamer gave it an 8 http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... e-3-review

Quote:
Either way, Modern Warfare 3 is exactly the game you expect. It's conservative in every sense of the word, a paean to military superiority which never ventures far beyond gameplay parameters that were set in stone in 2007.
With such a well-rehearsed recipe to follow, there's more room here for innovation than there is for improvement. There are plenty who would love to see Call of Duty dragged through the mud for its lack of new ideas, but the game itself is too confidently constructed, too generous with its pleasures, to deserve any lasting vitriol. This is a ferocious and satisfying game that knows exactly what players expect, and delivers on that promise with bullish confidence."
Page 3 of 12 [ 560 posts ]