Saville Dead!
How's about that then?
Dimrill wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
It's no evidence of anything other than they didn't want to be attacked by the bird.

It was his arm.

I know. But you go and start trying to touch people up* wearing an oven glove and see how daft the whole allegation is.

* Suggest you do this with consenting adults, just in case.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
It's no evidence of anything other than they didn't want to be attacked by the bird.

It was his arm.

I know. But you go and start trying to touch people up* wearing an oven glove ...

It was an emu.
Dimrill wrote:
It was an emu.

Yeah, the euro's fucked everything. [/pointed political satire]
Dimrill wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

It was his arm.

I know. But you go and start trying to touch people up* wearing an oven glove ...

It was an emu.

Shit, I always thought it was a puppet. So he had a dead bird on his arm all the time? No wonder the fellow guests wanted nowt to do with it, I mean, that's a guy right there thrusting decaying flesh in your face, possibly avian flu decaying.
I think if I was jostling a woman's tits with an oven glove on my hand I might still enjoy it.

In fact, that's a thing I might get into. Thanks for the advice.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
According to Radio 5, Max's solicitor says he is "just helping police with their enquiries". Which makes him sound like Columbo or something,

He has been arrested and questioned on suspicion of sexual offences.

Last year I helped a police enquiry by answering questions about a physical attack on my friend when we were in the library. I wasn't arrested on suspicion of beating her up myself to do so!
Mimistletoe Kisses wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
According to Radio 5, Max's solicitor says he is "just helping police with their enquiries". Which makes him sound like Columbo or something,

He has been arrested and questioned on suspicion of sexual offences.

Last year I helped a police enquiry by answering questions about a physical attack on my friend when we were in the library. I wasn't arrested on suspicion of beating her up myself to do so!

Mimi the master criminal giving the rozzers the slip, there.
Haven't seen any of the reporting on Rod Hull, but from what I understand he isn't accused of kiddie fiddling, it is a historic sexual abuse charge from a person who was a adult, regardless it is only being investigated at the moment.
Hang on, Rod Hull is now being accused as well - for alleged sexual abuse via his emu puppet?

Sorry, but "L-lol". Something tells me there's a bandwagon set firmly in train now, and that things might be going a tad too far? What's next I wonder, "Bagpuss ruined my life by sitting on my lap, quite close to my front-bottom, the dirty cloth bastard"?
Lord Raiden wrote:
Hang on, Rod Hull is now being accused as well - for alleged sexual abuse via his emu puppet?

Sorry, but "L-lol". Something tells me there's a bandwagon set firmly in train now, and that things might be going a tad too far? What's next I wonder, "Bagpuss ruined my life by sitting on my lap, quite close to my front-bottom, the dirty cloth bastard"?

Yeah but you've got to consider the source - its Eric Bristow in the Sun :

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... istow.html
Nice to see the police were taking it seriously when they went to Max's house to collect evidence.

[check the numberplate]
Just been looking up Arthur Mullard when posting something in the bad music thread. Another 70's TV and film star who was a total bastard!

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/ARTHUR+MULLARD+WAS+THE+COCKNEY+COMIC+MILLIONS+LOVED+...AND+A+MONSTER...-a061162095
I'm steadily coming to the conclusion that anyone who was on telly in the eighties and had a catchphrase of any kind is probably a two pin din plug, a small bean regarder, a shrub rocketeer.
I am Hamble, and you are all my children now
/
markg wrote:
I'm steadily coming to the conclusion that anyone who was on telly in the eighties and had a catchphrase of any kind is probably a two pin din plug, a small bean regarder, a shrub rocketeer.

The crazy world of Arthur Brown?
Arthur mullard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_MSi0Mh ... ata_player

His version of 'get back' is probably more horrific but i couldn't find it online.

EDIT: ha, just saw this was posted in the terrible songs thread! Their version lf 'get back' is really something else though.
throughsilver wrote:
markg wrote:

The crazy world of Arthur Brown?

Yup, bent refs, the lot of them.
markh wrote:
Arthur mullard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_MSi0Mh ... ata_player

His version of 'get back' is probably more horrific but i couldn't find it online.

EDIT: ha, just saw this was posted in the terrible songs thread! Their version lf 'get back' is really something else though.

EPIC FAIL: You didn't post the far worse live performance they did on Top Of The Pops. It's on the music thread:

http://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9128&start=60
This interview has just come to light.

Just fucking odd. Did nobody suspect? Really?
It was all predicted in this very forum:

Mimi, 21 May 2008:

Quote:
I never saw that episode. I do remember Theroux's episode with Jimmy Saville though - now, he WAS weird... I don't care about editing, suggestion and whatnot - Jimmy Saville is nuts-out-batty, however charitable and nice he may or may not be, there's something odd going on there.

Curio, 7 August 2008

Quote:
Grim... wrote:
Jimmy Saville is a scary creepy man. FACT

Louis Theroux docu-fixed for you

Chinny, 7 August 2008
Quote:
It'll all come out when he carks it. The Popbitch board has had a few good stories down the years.

There's also something in the pron thread from August 2011, but I haven't dared click on it.

If only we put the pieces together sooner, eh?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, Mafia games...
That's the first thing I thought when the story broke. "Chinny always reckoned he was a bad'un"
kalmar wrote:
That's the first thing I thought when the story broke. "Chinny always reckoned he was a bad'un"

The late Rev Goatboy from Popbitch must take all the credit. Everything he said was true and that was over 12 years ago!

I still hope his story of the Tory minister and the teenage son of some landed gentry comes to light one day.

http://www.popbitch.com/revgb/

+ from the PB newsletter when the story broke:

Quote:
Since Popbitch launched in 2000, we've often been asked which celebrity we'd had most stories about. It's not David Beckham. Nor even Paul Danan. "Jimmy Savile", was always the answer. Among a host of strange rumours is this one, the strangest. It involved Mr Savile, a penchant for necrophilia... and access to the morgue at Leeds General Infirmary which, the story went, he was given in return for his charity work. We've been told this story by probably 100+ people - including two DJs, six journalists and a member of the House of Lords - it was even supposed to be one of Larry Grayson's favourite yarns. But most often it was told to us by a Leeds resident, the Rev Goatboy, late of this parish, who always promised to leave the evidence to support this wild theory with one reliable person, on condition we'd only use it after Savile's death. Sadly, none of us can remember who was supposed to have been the guardian of this evidence. So we have none.
Actually, I did know that, and vaguely knew of The Rev GB. But you get the credit for repeating it quite frequently on here :)
kalmar wrote:
Actually, I did know that, and vaguely knew of The Rev GB. But you get the credit for repeating it quite frequently on here :)

The whole morgue thing has been swept under the carpet even though Savile himself said he liked to spend time in there alone.
Paul Daniels enlightens us with his important thoughts and a lucky escape:

http://thelifeandtimesofpauldaniels.blogspot.co.uk
For 2013, we need a Celebrity Nonce Pool to go along with the customary annual Death Pool.
Hero of Excellence wrote:
For 2013, we need a Celebrity Nonce Pool to go along with the customary annual Death Pool.

Unless you want to see Grim... selling all his worldly possessions and having to live in a cardboard box, I suggest we DON'T do this.
You're allowed to say what you think though?

ie "Joe Bloggs is kiddy fiddler" wouldn't be allowed, but "I think Joe Bloggs will be reported as being a kiddy fiddler in a national newspaper or tv station" is surely an ok thing to say?

Malc
Malc wrote:

ie "Joe Bloggs is kiddy fiddler" wouldn't be allowed, but "I think Joe Bloggs will be reported as being a kiddy fiddler in a national newspaper or tv station" is surely an ok thing to say?

Malc

Given that Berscow got done for a tweet which said fuck all, it might be wise to say nothing at all.

If Popbitch steers well clear of such areas, you know they are best left well alone.
Malc wrote:

Malc

This could still be construed as an allegation - people retweeting the rumours about that Tory lord got sued, remember.
To be absolutely on the safe side, we should totally not say things about Joe Bloggs, even if later the rumours turn out to be true.

If we're sued then it's Malc's fault since he started it.
Yeah, last I heard, Joe Bloggs was innocent.
Bill Posters will, however, be prosecuted.
kalmar wrote:
Bill Posters will, however, be prosecuted.

Always a classic.
It took me years before I got that joke...

(And I think that's the one on the Plain, just off Magdalen Bridge back home in the 'Ford)
The way I'm reading this, Malc, is that you are saying opinion can't be slanderous or libellous.

So, by saying 'in my opinion _______ is a paedophile' is different from saying '_______ is a paedophile'.

Or are you saying that stating 'in my opinion _________ MIGHT be a paedophile' is OK?

I'm certain none of those is ok, partly because they all make the accusation of the crime (whether you state it to be your belief or not) and partly because none are backed up with any evidence. Also, saying 'in my opinion' in front of a statement doesn't make it an opinion, it's just a change of grammar rather than meaning, like saying 'in my opinion Stone Henge is more than ten years old'. When you put it in front of an accusation if wrongdoing it is still an accusation of wrongdoing.
I was adding in another level of distancing, with the news paper report thing.

People in the past have said things like "I don't care what the Jury says, I still think he's guilty" Is that going to be defamation?

Malc
Legal niceties don't matter shit in a civil case where one side has a fuckton of money and the other doesn't.
Cras Kringle wrote:
Legal niceties don't matter shit in a civil case where one side has a fuckton of money and the other doesn't.

That's complete bollocks, mate. The relevant law doesn't change just cos the other side has more money.

Your decision to settle early may do, though.
Right. And your second sentence is exactly why they don't matter shit.
Even if it does go to court, surely being able to afford the very top skilled lawyers gives you a much higher chance of coming out winning? The law doesn't change, but the way in which the case is being presented to those that give the final decision probably matters a great deal, and I'd imagine big money buys much greater skill and experience.
Even if it does go to court, surely being able to afford the very top skilled lawyers gives you a much higher chance of coming out winning? The law doesn't change, but the way in which the case is being presented to those that give the final decision probably matters a great deal, and I'd imagine big money buys much greater skill and experience.

To be honest, that depends how little there is in it between the legal arguments in the first place. In some cases the facts are straightforward and it doesn't matter how your lawyers argue it. Others it is down to very fine technical points, in which case having much, much better lawyers may help.

But buying better lawyers won't necessarily buy you a win.

The biggest risk for the poor litigant is that if they lose they'd have to pay the winner's legal fees, which is the driver for early settlement even where your case is reasonably strong - it's a massive gamble to go to trial if you're not 100% certain to win.
I can imagine. I guess those with more money have more to 'gamble' with in that respect.
I can imagine. I guess those with more money have more to 'gamble' with in that respect.

Exactly so.

This is why the government curbing conditional fee arrangements ("no win no fee") was such a bad thing.
I'd add "hassle and stress" to that, too. If you could pay £x for something to go away, you probably would.
/looks at Craster.

Yes, yes you're right.
Page 5 of 11 [ 538 posts ]