Playstation Vita
UK launch dates and prices
devilman wrote:
I assume that Sony will be working on fixing the exploits in the games and then reinstating them in their store? If so, as long as they don't take too long over it, it doesn't seem they're being too evil on this occasion.

I would assume so as well - however they've not bothered telling anyone about it - so they just pull the games and if you've already paid for them you cannot get them (and you have no idea for how long or even if they will come back).
As always in these situations, people seem to be blaming the wrong target.
Yep, should be blaming the evil paedo pirate hackers.
Grim... wrote:

is it Dimrill?
Grim... wrote:

Well I dont have a Vita but if i did I would be upset that Sony have pulled something that i've paid them to have (note for these ones I would have to purchase it via the PSN so its Sony who would have my money and Sony who have made the decision to pull the game)

The other people I could see you being upset with here are :
The people who want to hack their vita and then publicise it
The original developers who made mistakes in coding their games (which are now being exploited)
The original testers (who did not manage to test for some of these occurances)

One other thing to consider is who is actually going to code the fixes for these titles - are the original developers going to have to go back into the code and produce an update to block this , and if so what about the developers who no-longer exist ?
Damn good point. If they no longer exsist, then surely the games will never come back?

The dangers of download only titles. I bet :attitude: is having a field day with this.
zaphod79 wrote:
One other thing to consider is who is actually going to code the fixes for these titles - are the original developers going to have to go back into the code and produce an update to block this , and if so what about the developers who no-longer exist ?

I guess it depends on whether or not the original devs get money from each download sale - if they do (or did) then obviously it's in their interests to fix it.

I understand that Sony are, once again, probably not handling this the best way they can, but every time this happens people always seem to forget that the people who actually caused the issue are the hackers.
Grim... wrote:
I understand that Sony are, once again, probably not handling this the best way they can, but every time this happens people always seem to forget that the people who actually caused the issue are the hackers.
You think it's good business to throw paying customers under the bus to attack the hackers? I don't. I think a company should do everything it can to disrupt the hackers without inconveniencing the paying customers, and I think the experience of the paying customers should always be the highest priority.
I doubt the potential future sales of Everybody's Tennis are sufficient for the developers to spend much time fixing the bug. It's quite possibly the financially smart thing for them to just drop it. Although having a game that allows a a hack to go through would have probably boosted their sales if it had been allowed.
Squirt wrote:
I doubt the potential future sales of Everybody's Tennis are sufficient for the developers to spend much time fixing the bug. It's quite possibly the financially smart thing for them to just drop it. Although having a game that allows a a hack to go through would have probably boosted their sales if it had been allowed.

Remember its also taking the game away from everyone who has already bought it.

Pulling the game from sale is one thing - stopping people who have already paid for it downloading it is again is something else.
zaphod79 wrote:
Pulling the game from sale is one thing - stopping people who have already paid for it downloading it is again is something else.
If I were one of those people, I'd be seeking a refund under my statutory rights. Really grey area for digital content though.
zaphod79 wrote:
Squirt wrote:

Remember its also taking the game away from everyone who has already bought it.

Well, it's not really. It's stopping you re-downloading it if you delete it. And presumably for a limited period of time. That's a world of difference away from taking it off you.
Yeah, Sony are hardly Nintendo.
Craster wrote:
Well, it's not really. It's stopping you re-downloading it if you delete it. And presumably for a limited period of time. That's a world of difference away from taking it off you.

I agree , however the fact that its simply ‘gone’ from the store / your download history – Sony are not telling you anything about why its gone and , and that given the question over development resources it could well be something which you have paid for and will never get back ?

(Also the 'deleting it' thats Sonys guidence for all download vita games - you delete it and re-download it when you want it again because it will always be there - yes paraphrasing a bit but thats what they suggest)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
You think it's good business to throw paying customers under the bus to attack the hackers? I don't. I think a company should do everything it can to disrupt the hackers without inconveniencing the paying customers, and I think the experience of the paying customers should always be the highest priority.

Don't disagree with any of that. Doesn't change the point, though.
Grim... wrote:

It actually does, depending on what you think 'the point' is. The people to blame for the Vita being hacked are the hackers. Directly and indisputably. But the people to blame for the games actually being removed are Sony. No one else made the decision and no one else implemented it. Indeed no one else could. There are arguments to be made for whether that's a reasonable reaction under the circumstances or not, but the blame for actually taking the games down has to lie with Sony because Sony are the ones who weighed up the consequences, decided it was a reasonable course of action and went ahead with it.
Bamba wrote:
Grim... wrote:

It actually does, depending on what you think 'the point' is. The people to blame for the Vita being hacked are the hackers. Directly and indisputably. But the people to blame for the games actually being removed are Sony. No one else made the decision and no one else implemented it. Indeed no one else could. There are arguments to be made for whether that's a reasonable reaction under the circumstances or not, but the blame for actually taking the games down has to lie with Sony because Sony are the ones who weighed up the consequences, decided it was a reasonable course of action and went ahead with it.

But, obviously, they wouldn't need to be removed if it weren't for the hackers.

Also, it's Thursday. Again.
Sony pulls 3rd PSP game from their store due to hackers

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/sony-pul ... rns/094921

Quote:
A third PSP game has been removed from the PlayStation Store after it emerged that the title was being used to allow homebrew gaming on Vita.

Prior to its removal Super Collapse was being used by hackers to access and run homebrew software Vita Half-Byte loader which, amongst other things, allows consumers to run Game Boy, NES, SNES, N64 and Mega Drive emulators.

Crucially, the hack did not allow users to play pirated Vita software.

The game will likely be reinstated to PSN once the hack has been removed and, more likely than not, a further Vita firmware update released that will close the loophole.

Last month Sony removed both Everybody’s Tennis and MotorStorm Arctic Edge from the PSN Store as they also allowed hackers to circumvent some of the Vita’s security measures.
Well, it's rather shiny. Sticks could offer a bit more range, and buttons aren't in the most comforrtable position.

Game wise, I can only really comment on one game so far. Gravity daze seems to be rather fun - plummeting at things in a non-down direction and getting meowed at by a cat, although the camera system is taking some time to get used to. (It's on both the right stick and also 1:1 motion control - although this means motion control isn't inerted in the Y axis, so I keep looking the wrong way)

More impressions as they come.
Also: Only being able to have one profile on it at a time - Annoying.
Well, despite saying I wouldn't buy one, I went and bought one. I got the 3G version in the end, which is cool because topping up the Vodafone SIM card it comes with nets you a free copy of Wipeout 2048, but shit in pretty much every other regard - unless you have a burning desire to surf the web whilst out and about and don't already have a smart phone to do this on.

But I digress!

So far I've got:
- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- Wipeout 2048
- Gravity Rush
- Touch My Katamari
- Super Stardust Delta

plus some PSP games and some of the freebies, like Wario-Ware-alike Frobisher Says and the AR games.

I'm actually really quite impressed with the machine. It can't manage to keep up with the performance of a PS3 or Xbox 360, but it's definitely not far off and it's not like ports of the big console games would need to be particularly compromised because it can't quite manage as good textures. The controls are certainly there (and they work brilliantly - so much more comfortable to use than the PSP was). The kitchen sink approach with control styles does mean some games, like Uncharted, rather desperately try to shoehorn a bit too much touchscreen/motion control nonsense in - but overall, the games I've played on it have been fantastic. Touch My Katamari is also easily the best Katamari game I've played since the second PS2 game.

Something I also wasn't expecting is how much nicer it is to play PSP games on this - it's actually a better experience playing PSP titles on a Vita than it is playing them on an actual PSP. The larger, more colourful screen and vastly superior controls make every PSP title I've played so much nicer to play.

It's just frustrating to see Sony almost willfully fucking up the console's chances of being a success.
I think I'll probably grab one when a game comes out that I want to play. Right now, there's nothing on there that I'd be bothered about playing.
WTB wrote:
I think I'll probably grab one when a game comes out that I want to play. Right now, there's nothing on there that I'd be bothered about playing.

Gravity Rush is amazing. You should be bothered about playing that!

...okay, so admittedly spending £200+ on a console for one game might be a little extreme.
That came out nine days ago! I didn't even know it existed. But yeah, I don't have £200 spare for food, let alone £200 to play a game. :(
I've been toying with the idea of one of these since I realised the PS3 is not a bad little machine. I've just bought a MacBook Pro though, so I don't think I can afford one for a few months now. Hopefully by then there will be some more games out for it!
It's become ideal for me, because I'm so busy when I'm at home juggling my daughter, my girlfriend and countless other things that I get literally no time to play games anymore. But I do have a job which has a lot of very quiet moments during the day sometimes, so it's nice to be able to sneak to the car and spend an hour playing on a handheld console that does a pretty bang up job of providing the full home console experience. It lives up to the original PSP's promise in that regard.
WTB wrote:
That came out nine days ago! I didn't even know it existed. But yeah, I don't have £200 spare for food, let alone £200 to play a game. :(

Pft, I've had it for ages.

It is rather good.
Vita hacked ?

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/playstation ... ed-6394719

Quote:
Reports surface that hobbyist developer and reverse engineer Yifan Lu has discovered a Vita exploit that could make it possible to load homebrew software.

Sony has long faced a difficult fight in the battle against hackers of its hardware and products. The PlayStation Portable was repeatedly hacked, ultimately resulting in low sales of the device, according to Sony. And while it took longer for the PlayStation 3 to succumb, it too became the victim of hackers in 2011. Finally, the PlayStation Network was compromised in the same year, resulting in the loss of millions of people's personal information.
Hacked?

Hacked?

Now, it appears as though the same could be set to happen to the PlayStation Vita. Website CVG reports that coder and self-confessed re-engineer Yifan Lu has been developing a homebrew loader for Sony's latest handheld. According to Lu's blog, he has discovered an exploit for the PlayStation Vita and has used it as the basis for building what he calls the Usermode Vita Loader. This, claims Lu, makes it possible to create homebrew Vita software.
zaphod79 wrote:
The PlayStation Portable was repeatedly hacked, ultimately resulting in low sales of the device, according to Sony.

Yep. That'll be the reason no one bought it.
Surely that would increase sales of the hardware? Maybe not the software side.
Exactly right! I would buy one to hack if I thought I could get one cheap enough.
£189 according to the telly box. Sounds more interesting than it was but I ain't biting.
Ian Fairies wrote:
£189 according to the telly box. Sounds more interesting than it was but I ain't biting.

Did you resurrect this thread purely so you could tell people you'd seen an advert for something you didn't want to buy? Can we expect more such gems in the future? "WiiU? Nah, don't care." "Song Wars? That looks boring." "Mince pies? Not interested mate."

( :p )
Yes. Yes. Yes (day 1). Yes (although no one likes rap music). Yes (warmed up).
zaphod79 wrote:
Vita hacked ?

First hack is now out , its *ONLY* PSP mode they are into but there is an exploit for a game (which was given away so lots of people have it and its now pulled from the store) and by using the exploit people can run PSP ISO's (and PSP homebrew) on their Vita's

http://wololo.net/2012/10/03/release-6- ... otal_noob/

BTW the game you need is the Playstation Mini "Urbanix"
No OTA updates for the Vita?

I forgot to remind Mr Dave to bring his to the pub :(
Slow sales in Japan.

ERHMEGERD! YERPGHERNKS! wrote:
In the hardware chart, PlayStation Vita (fourth this week, again behind the PSP) coughed and wheezed over the one million sales milestone. It did so with its lowest sales in months - just 7957 units.
Vita has taken 42 weeks to reach one million sales in Japan. That's drastically slower than the Nintendo 3DS (13 weeks, before the price cut sales sky-rocket) and the PSP (14 weeks).
Jesus, that sounds really bad.
Quote:
ERHMEGERD! YERPGHERNKS!
New favourite thing.
'Tis a shame, as the Vita is a lovely bit of kit. It's like Sony's R&D department had this sudden moment of brilliance, in which they designed a truly fantastic piece of portable hardware - powerful enough to run virtually any modern game with only minor caveats, capable of most modern control systems, what with it's physical controls encompassing two fantastic mini-analogue sticks, it's two multi-touch surfaces, it's two cameras and it's motion-sensing controls. And then Sony, being Sony, couldn't content themselves with such brilliance, and decided to fuck it royally by ensuring all marketing and business decisions surrounding this mini marvel were done by totally fucking braindead idiot fuckwits.

I'd say it was a totally unbeliveable situation to have such a fantastic piece of hardware and still fail miserably against the competition, to so decisivly steal defeat from the jaws of victory, but then we're talking about Sony, so it's actually totally believable. They're kind of becomming the new Sega, although the Sega fanboy in me is very uncomfortable with drawing such comparisons.
I came here to say something but then read Zio's post and couldn't agree more.
So, been playing the soul sacrifice demo.

It's really seems to be rather good. Not entirely sure I know exactly what's going on, and could certainly do with a bit more finesse. But could be the first properly special Vita exclusive. Maybe.
FUCK YOU EBAY. Outbid in the last 2 seconds for one of these. Fucks sake.

What with PS+ and PS4 looking like you'll need one to get the most out of it, I want one suddenly. But not for many pennies.

I'm watching two more auctions that'll end in five hours and I'll make bids in the last 5 seconds. Or is that leaving it too long?
I'm not condoning it, but I've used this site in the past.

http://www.gixen.com/index.php

You can put your highest bid in and the site will bid for you in the last second.
Interesting! I might give it a whirl as I was really fed up yesterday when I fancied a little splurge.
It's worth trying it. If nothing else it will stop you going over the most you're willing to pay for something. I've lost track of the amount of times that I've gone over by a couple of quid in the dying seconds, just to secure the item.
The Vita is a great little machine though, I can't see you regretting buying one. Admittedly mine has pretty much been a Persona 4 player for the last couple of months, but still. I did have a quick go at playing God Of War HD on it via Remote Play yesterday and was surprised by how playable it actually was (the image on the screen was a little fuzzy sometimes and there were occasional dropped frames - but no real perceptable lag in the controls), which bodes well I think for the PS4 where apparently every game will be playable remotely on the Vita.
I am super winner man!

Thanks for the sniping suggestion, The Vision.

Only thing is, I'm looking at the sellers info and they've never sold anything before with no feedback. I've checked their address out on-line which appears at least to exist but I'm still worried about sending my hard earnered dollars that way.

But a deals a deal I suppose, so I'll have to send the monies and take my chance. I can't log into paypal through the ebay page at the minute so I've emailed the seller to ask for their paypal account details direct so I can send them the money now.
Page 2 of 13 [ 611 posts ]