Dark Souls
DLC Release 24 October 2012
Cool, I always wanted a Porsche.
Oooh, I wonder if there's a Cave of Cavey in this game.
Zardoz wrote:
Dr Lave wrote:
Could you kill the ghosts down there Zardox? I had to leg it as they were untouchable.

You need to use the Temporary Curse thingy* to be able to hurt them (fireballs FTW). I picked some up from a body (or was it after a fight?) just before I reached the Ghosty bridge.

*Transient Curse.

Ah! Obviously!

I'll use some of it to explore. Make a change to dying to the Capra demon. But hate using up consumables...
The good thing about this game is that (so far) every time I've come against something too difficult for me to overcome there are other routes to try. You never feel like you're completely stuck even though it's difficult.

Really fucking love this game.
Also read on the Dark Souls Wiki that because I accidentally hit the Undead Female Merchant in the aqueduct ( :hat: ) I now have to buy Absolution (for lots of souls >:| ) if I ever want her to trade with me. She just keeps screaming out curses when I walk past her now.

I love this game.
Don't level up until you've paid for absolution. The amount you pay is your soul level multiplied!
Can't find any bugger selling it anyway. Only have access to the first merchant now. I'm level 20 atm, so I guess it will be quite expensive already.
It's the guy at the bottom of the first bell tower after the gargoyle fight.
Not quite there yet.
If you get the curse status effect, you can hit the ghosts, at the cost of half HP.
How freaking big is this game? Just when you think you've been to the very top (or bottom) you stumbled across a small passage that leads somewhere completely new. I love this game. And that's not to mention all the places I know exist but can't muster up the courage (or hit points) to attempt yet.

I've been chipping away at it though:

I had a gander around Duke's Archives and finally met someone from the opening story. It was a typical encounter: got scared and ran away, this time thanks to a homeward bone. Ain't no boss taking 20,000 souls off me, although I knew I should have ran back and used them up before going onwards.

So I thought I'd have a look round the Demon's Ruins instead. Lightning Stick charged up it has been making short work of fire demons. Even the repeat Taurus Boss, no, several Taurus' were no match all of a sudden for a few pokes of electricity. Even Capra Demons fell in three strikes. Amazing. Seems this is the best weapon for that area of the map and anyone made of fire. When the Fat Guy on fire boss turned up he was quickly dispatched after a few attempts and even Centipede on fire boss was equally challenged by several heafty swings of zap-pow goodness.

So I made it to Izanith only to find that every square foot of the place is covered by massive dinosaurs who only exist to sit on your face. Dinosaurs 1 Pokey Stick 0. A familar scene occured: got scared, got killed and got out of there.

I still love this game though.

I could do with some assistance it anyone cares to help: I've got a fire ember but none of the merchants want anything to do with it. Where's the merchant who can do something with it? Lightning Stick is aces but I'd imagine that Fire Stick would be even better!

The review and post-script in Edge is spot on in their review of this game by the way. It seemed clear that the reviewer had heavily invested some time in it. Zelda gets a typical 10 though...
I still love it too, but I may have eaten too much sickly lovely chocolate. I've lost the head of steam that had me ploughing on and itching for more. Might give it a rest for a week and come back to it after something else. It's just so... BIG!
I just want to illustrate how wonderful this game is too.

In Darkroot Garden you pass by two struts early on when walking through there. You'll pass them loads of times as you endlessly die. I didn't think anything of it but eventually you kill the Butterfly boss on a bridge in the garden between two demolished towers. Climbing one tower there's the petrified body of a merchant curled up in what must have been his final death throes. There's no tedious diary entry to collect with some poorly written attempt at backstory or prose. Nothing, just the merchants tools scattered around but for an anvil sitting steadfast attempt the crumbling ruins.

Climbing down from the tower you get back on the bridge and look down to see that you've run underneath this huge structure many times and never noticed it. Those two struts being the foundations for the bridge and the towers sitting alongside. Had you bothered to look up you'd have seen it straddling the valley. Now each time I run underneath I keep having a look to up to see the shattered remnants high above me. Just terrific.
Yeah it's awesome. It really is one of the best games I've played in years. I'm just a little worn out with it at this point. I'm also unsure of where to go next and stuff. I need to play something other than Dark Souls for a bit.
I find myself thinking about this game during the day, different approaches to make, the way I should level up my character* etc. Haven't done that in a long time, too busy being spoon-fed content.

The level design is beautiful, love the way the shortcuts emerge as you play. Like the elevators I got to last night that took me back down to the Firelink Shrine meaning I can now use a bonfire that gives me 10 Estus swigs to help me get further.

Can't praise this game enough really.

*Mostly due to me stupidly grinding to buy the Great Soul Arrow spell (6000) when I'm still 2 Int levels off to use it. :'( :)
It's made me think that Skyrim could look shit now in comparison.
Yeah I've been living and breathing Dark Souls for nearly three weeks. Few games seep into your daily life as much as this one has. That's why I was hoping to complete it, but upon getting to the Duke's Archives I've realised just how much more game is there!
Zardoz wrote:

A bold statement from the Champion of Cyrodiil.
WTB wrote:
Yeah I've been living and breathing Dark Souls for nearly three weeks. Few games seep into your daily life as much as this one has. That's why I was hoping to complete it, but upon getting to the Duke's Archives I've realised just how much more game is there!

You're missing the crystal cave!
I defeat Seth the Scaleless. Easy stuff but I had to use two humanities when I ran out of flasks.

Take 10 flasks not 5 into the Crystal Cave fellow Beexers.
I still can't kill the fucking Capra Demon. Got him to half health mind.

Wasted my curses looking through the ghosty bit at the bottom of firelink but made stupid mistakes each time and so didn't get anythingor find anything. Bugger.

Yeah and this game has basically made me tell Skyrim to feck off. Like the last two it will feel floaty and light in comparison and monsters will poke you feebly. It needs some distance between it before I can enjoy for itself.

Which means I'll be waiting for the GOTY edition with or the DLC.
I wouldn't bother with the ghosts. WTB said earlier that you don't need to venture that way until near the end. I wasted hours trying to penetrate that area and got nowhere. The number of ghosts is overwhelming when you get to the castle-like area.

Try my tips for doing the Capra Demon earlier - whatever you do get up them steps and (then) kill them dogs. The world starts to unravel after that guy!

Anyway, thought I'd have a go at the Water Hydra and didn't even need a flask. There's a sweet spot to stand on the left hand side when you get near him that's just slightly away from the edge of the drop that stops you getting nearby - he barely hits you and you just lop those heads off one at a time!
I have been! He just legs it up after me and kills me. And if I jump down in time he drops down and kills me. What level were you when you killed the Capra?

I've been having a jolly old time swanning around earlier bits though. I killed that knight with his back to you at the start and picked up a nice ring.
Are you shimmying along the ledge at the top of the stairs? Go up the stairs, turn right against the wall and shimmy across as far as you can. He can't quote reach you there nine times out of ten. Then he'll drop down and you can jump on him with an attack.

Just repeat that until he's dead. But prioritise the dogs because they'll stagger you and get you killed.
Yeah, shimmy along right into the corner on top of the bridge. If he starts getting you there, then jump down; he'll shimmy along too before jumping down which should give you just enough time to get up and run back up the stairs.

Lave, what weapons are you using? You blasting away with Soul Arrow when he's walking up the stairs?
Also, if you've got any, and you start to get into a jumping/fighting groove you might want to polish your weapon with some Pine Resin. Might finish it a bit quicker!
Craster wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

A bold statement from the Champion of Cyrodiil.

Yeah, I know! That's how hard I bum this game.
This arrived on Monday.
I am in Edinburgh til tommorow >:(
Cant wait to get involved, probs sat morning.

Whats a good starting class?
I fancy going hand to hand, but I hear pyromancer is best all round starting class.
Are people finding projectiles useful?
Okay, tonight I cured my curse (goddamn basilisks) and found my way to the Gaping dragon, and lost. I'll be back!
LaceSensor wrote:
This arrived on Monday.
I am in Edinburgh til tommorow >:(
Cant wait to get involved, probs sat morning.

Whats a good starting class?
I fancy going hand to hand, but I hear pyromancer is best all round starting class.
Are people finding projectiles useful?

Pyromancer is perfectly good at hand to hand. You can boost stats as you level up to tune it to how you like to play.

I tend to use the spear most of all, with plenty of fireballs/soul arrows and a dash of short bow. The combat is the best ive seen for this type of game, really feels like your getting stuck in.
I had no problems with the thief. To be honest, if I started again if go with the guy without any armour. He gets 12 across the board for all stats, which is nice. I imagine it wouldn't be too tough to play without armour before you pick bits and bobs up off dead folk.
Yeah, good point but the Pyro starts at level 1 (I think) so it's cheaper to level him/her up from the start.
Ian Fairies wrote:
Now this is how you sell physical media. A quid more expensive and you get all this to look at before I even put the disc in. Its made me even more excited to get home and get started. Plus, the quicker you start the more chance you can slap some messages on the concrete before anyone else does. There's nowt like the feeling of loading a game up and being told a load of people thought your message was helpful. Small things.

Yep, totally agree. Do you see my point when we were discussing the vanilla version of GoW3 the other day now and you were complaining about a flimsy manual? The normal versions of games I can do without - give them to me digitally. However, Ltd Eds of games you want to keep and cherish, I can really get behind.
Hnnnng this is solo difficult.
Plus, I started as the pyro dude but how do I use the fire?
Y'know, I think I might soon crack this. Slowly trecking through Tomb of the Giants where the fear of death abounds but I must be nearing a boss of sorts. Please be nearby.

Then Land of the dinosaurs, ghost town and dragon valley to go me'thinks. Another week or so then...
Is undead burg the best place to start and what level were ppl to do the Taurus demon?

I'm getting my ass handed to me should I just farm and level up?
For a lol the first time I played it I ran straight to the catacombs past all sorts of skeletons then turned a corn and got one hit fireballed by some scary fudge. I decided to restart the Mae from scratch as there was no way to recover lol.

Also if one tries to nick the stuffs from the graveyards, how can I get the skeletons to go away or stop chasing me? Rest at bonfire?
Don't bother with the catacombs until much later. The skeletons will murder you until you're tooled up. I've been playing over 50 hours now (what the hell? I don't think I put that much into MW2's multiplayer) and I've just got through there. Follow the natural path through the keep and past Taurus. There's a few tips earlier in the thread.

I've done Tomb of the Giants now. Yay me! I think I've missed a fair few secret areas though but it was bloody hard.
So as I've been wondering elsewhere whilst manning up for the capra demon I started having a go at the big knight with a massive wang style club at the bottom of the spiral staircase bit. Who was a lovely mini-boss as you could cash out your souls every so often due to their being no fog barrier.

Killed him after an incredibly tense and phenomenally patient game. Circle him for ages, dodging his massive attacks for the rare opening where I could ping him for a little bit of damage. Using stairs to manage health and eventually he fell. Got a wonderful ring out of it which has made my knight class a lot more feasible and off to explore behind the door he was guarding.

For a game I clearly suck at, this is spectacular. Could have punched the ceiling I was so happy.
Today I've done the up to the first bell

Feels awesome!

I restarted as a warrior class, feels much stronger. Got the drake sword and pretty unstoppable if patient now.
LaceSensor wrote:

Feels awesome!

I restarted as a warrior class, feels much stronger. Got the drake sword and pretty unstoppable if patient now.

You'll learn... mwah hahahahaaaah!
Pundabaya wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:

Feels awesome!

You'll learn... mwah hahahahaaaah!

Yeah I keep getting effed in the a by Havel the rock... I'm only strong in the burg I know but 10 hours work and I'm glad to see some progress.
Compared to me your nailing it.
Fuuuuck I attacked the female merchant by accident
I could cry
42000 to absolve....any tips to farm souls fast?
Argh, no idea sorry.

Where's the female merchant? The one in the sewer shortcut bit?
Dr Lave wrote:
Argh, no idea sorry.

Where's the female merchant? The one in the sewer shortcut bit?

Yeah. She best be nice to me now...that cost a lot...
I've done it! Well, almost.

It gets much easier once you're tooled up to the max with Lightning Pokey Stick Mark 5! I'm one hit killing smaller enemies that once killed me innumerable amount of times. Larger enemies take only a couple of shots and I've rampaged through The Tomb of the Giant's main boss and Land of Izanith. I even smashed the Four Kings on my second attempt . It's empowering to know that you once started as a mere pleb of a Wanderer.

I've filled the Lord Vessel with the four demon souls and even met the big baddie at the end.

Tomorrow I will conquer this game and get on with the rest of my life.

Game of the Year: you betcha sweet ass it is. A large glowing post crooning over every facet is soon in order. Worth every single penny.
So having finished exploring other areas (Valley of the Drakes? Valley of the fucking off out of here more like) I thought I would head back and lock horns with the Capra Demon again.

Bye bye Capra Demon.

The secret was giving up on being a Knight. Being wrapped head to toe in tin is all well and good, but when you're trapped in an alleyway with a guy with two 6ft tin openers you get opened up in no time. Wearing all leather coupled with <25% equip load let me roll around him fast enough to not die. Fucking glorious.

Pondering upgrading weapons/armour. Haven't done any yet (due to using the Drake Sword) as don't want to waste my titanite. Any tips?

Also, I got a Black Knight Halberd which is maahaasive but needs me to double my strength. Tempting...
I have done it! For real this time.

70 hours from wandering the Undead Asylum with nothing but a weak Schimter high above the frozen peaks to the swamps at the bottom of Lordran; going even further underground through the lava tunnels and slicing through the demon's that infest those lands. To quietly stepping through the woods and forest. To the deep cave systems beneath the keep and fortress. To beyond the mountain that eclipses the Undead Keep to Anor Londo, crossing above the city below and stretching miles into the distance surrounded by a high wall across the mountain tops. And to the flame at the heart of Lordan where a Dark Lord waited to get stabbed the fuck up by a pointy stick that I'd tenderly loved like a baby for forty-odd hours.

I watched that stick keep enemies at distance while I was weak. I sharpened the edges until I collpased lungs with a swift poke. I watched as its power grew when imbuded with lightning. There were better weapons but this one was mine and it grew strong.

I'm utterly stumped to remember a game that has kept me so entertained for so long. I avoided the wiki's and instead searched everywhere and played around with the weapons and magic. I might have missed somethings I'm sure but having been thrown into a New Game+ with everything I had and only the keys taken away from me and the enemies leveled up a bit, I had to spend another hour rushing to spend the souls from killing that last boss. Even nailing the first boss in about 5 swings and being rewarded with another weapon I hadn't seen before. I even discovered that if you stab the armoured hog right up the ass so you do the critical hit animation (killing him in one go and a bit of Halberd poking out his face) you get a freaking brilliant Hog Armoured Helmet. With War Tusks! It looks The Shit.

I can't wait to have a look at the wiki's now.

The only sour point: the utter shit ending. I chose to light the flame (since I thought it was a save stupidly) and shouldn't have bothered. Still, like LOTR it's not the end that matters it's the journey.
Page 6 of 59 [ 2918 posts ]