World of Warcraft goes free-to-play
Up to level 20
kalmar wrote:
phone hacking, my true and occasionally expensive obsession

:S
Up to L33 now, with about 26 hours played. Levelling is seriously quick compared to how it used to be, at some points I'm not even getting to the trainer for new skills until two new skills are available, which is 3 levels worth of levelling...
Questing is much improved in terms of flow and fun, but I feel like i'm zipping through zones and not really getting much chance to explore and get to know them, I kinda miss the slower pace from the early days, and running/riding through zones all the time, choosing what I wanted to do and having to cross continents to get good zones for me level. These days it's all about quest hubs and flight masters, and feels much more like a set of levels to do, rather than a whole world to explore.

Still thoroughly enjoying it though, so much so i've just bought Wrath and Cata...
I find you spend plenty of time in a given zone if you quest in it exclusively. I think the idea is to encourage replayability by forcing you to miss zones out completely, which you could visit again with a new character.
WTB wrote:
I find you spend plenty of time in a given zone if you quest in it exclusively. I think the idea is to encourage replayability by forcing you to miss zones out completely, which you could visit again with a new character.

That seems true enough. Before, you'd have to carefully plan which zones you'd visit, and you'd practically max them all out on your travels, which gave the almost mandatory dreaded ‘oh, christ, I've gotta go to <place X> again’ each time. Now, you can level several characters and not visit the same place twice at all should you wish, giving you an almost new game each time.
All true, however even questing exclusively in a zone doesn't give me the same connection to it as it used to. I blitzed through Ashenvale in about an hour. The Barrens is no longer this sprawling zone where I knew where everything was and could choose which places to go first, now it is 5-6 little quest hubs that you do one after the other. Don;t get me wrong, the new way is certainly better overall, I just miss some of the "world" feeling there use to be.
Trooper wrote:
All true, however even questing exclusively in a zone doesn't give me the same connection to it as it used to. I blitzed through Ashenvale in about an hour. The Barrens is no longer this sprawling zone where I knew where everything was and could choose which places to go first, now it is 5-6 little quest hubs that you do one after the other. Don;t get me wrong, the new way is certainly better overall, I just miss some of the "world" feeling there use to be.

I know what you mean with that, too. I've never had a connection as strong as my first play-through where it took me over a month of reasonable play to reach level 40, and had to scrimp for my very first mount. Now everything is way too easy (though not always in a bad way) and quick. And as much as I thought the new changes to the world were a reasonable improvement, it wasn't enough to keep me playing for more than a month or so before getting bored and putting it down for good.

I'm still interested in whatever it is they're planning for their next big game, mind. They've learned a lot from WoW, and hopefully it'll show in some new IP.
I do see what you're getting at, and even sort of agree with you in some regards, but if you step back and remember how the game used to be, it really was padded out with all sorts of tedious shite.

I remember levelling my first hunter back in the day, and you had to train your pet each individual new attack. We're not talking about special attacks or talents here, we're literally talking about teaching a bog-standard cat pet ONE of its basic attacks, such as 'Claw Rank 4'.

So this was the procedure for me to teach my cat one attack when it hit a certain level and could thus learn the attack in question. (And it's not like this was even optional, hunters rely on their pets for a decent percentage of their overall DPS output.)

1) Stable my cat in a capital city, as there was none of this carrying multiple pets around with you and being able to switch between them at will.
2) Find out which beast out in the world knew the attack in question.
3) Travel out there, minus pet. Hunter minus pet = run away from everything.
4) Tame the beast that knew the attack.
5) Kill a few mobs until my hunter learned the attack from the beast.
6) Travel back to the capital city where my cat was stabled.
7) Abandon the beast.
8 ) Get my cat out of the stable, hurrah, I can now teach it Claw Rank 4!

And that was for every fucking attack, for the entire game! And if you got a different pet with a different set of abilities, you had to do it all over again.

Or bollocks like killing 60 trolls to get 20 bloodscalp ears, or having to run everywhere on foot until Level 40, or constantly having to stop to eat and drink, and needing elixirs on at all times just to be able to quest successfully, and only having one fucking flightpoint in the entire fucking Barrens. Seriously, take the rose-tinteds off and just remember what a nightmare that place was to quest in.

None of that crap stands up any more, it was of its time and games have moved on, I do take the general point that it did perhaps lead to more of a genuine sense of exploring an unknown world and discovering stuff for yourself - but would a total newcomer to the game now really find it any less impressive? If you've been familiar with the game for years it's easy to forget what a massive, daunting, mysterious place WoW still is for a new player.
As someone who played in the beta and then for a good year or two after release, I agree with AE here. I mentioned in the other WoW thread my thoughts on levelling up to 60 again after Cata a few months back, and I can only praise it. It's massively improved. Sure, I loved the game back in the day and I still nostalgically remember it fondly, but they've certainly taken out a whole chunk of tedious shite that you definitely wouldn't ever want to do more than once. It was fine with one character, but levelling more than one up to 60 was soul destroying.

Now the 1-60 "grind" isn't much of a grind at all, but that's counter-balanced by the fuckton of dungeon and raid content available once you reach level 60 and beyond - not to mention PvP stuff as well. It's still extremely hardcore at the top, but they've just had to make the journey there a little easier. We're three expansion packs in, and an absolute beginner who has just bought all of the expansion packs is going to want to play that content sooner rather than later, so making the 1-60 content a bit easier was the natural way to do this.

Let's face it, the game isn't "about" 1-60 any more. The majority of players are above and beyond that, and naturally new players will want to get through it quickly as well to join up with the existing players. It's a shame in a way, but WoW is much bigger now, so the padding doesn't have to be there. Back in the day, 60 was the limit, so you got your money's worth on the way there.

Having said all of that, 1-60 isn't exactly a piece of piss these days either - it's just a bit smoother. It still took me a good three weeks or so of daily play to get there earlier this year.

Also, I reckon I'll give it another few weeks or so, and if a fair few of you are still playing, I'll transfer my characters over to the server you're all on and join in. Stupid Warcrack.
I've just started a Goblin hunter. What attributes do hunters need these days? I see there is no ammo needed and they don't use mana for shots anymore? Am I best going for agility?
Trooper wrote:
I've just started a Goblin hunter. What attributes do hunters need these days? I see there is no ammo needed and they don't use mana for shots anymore? Am I best going for agility?

Agility is still your top stat.

Thereafter all the usual stuff, stamina (which is on all gear by default), hit, crit, attack power. Haste is pretty duff (except at certain plateaus and is worthless at anything less than raiding level), and intellect is a 'nothing' stat now we have focus instead of mana.

You can use guns or bows off the bat, no need for ammo, and no weapon training required. Beast Mastery remains the best levelling spec with a tenacity pet, but they're all viable now really.

Here's my 85 hunter if you want to have a skeet :)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... e/advanced

And here is the hunter's bible - http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/

EDIT - And the goblin starting zone is fucking awesome, a proper riot from start to finish and funny too.
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
EDIT - And the goblin starting zone is fucking awesome, a proper riot from start to finish and funny too.

You think? I thought there was entirely too much running around, gorgeous and detailed as it was. The quests were fun, but I found the whole thing to be a massive chore. My Goblin warrior (Battlesprout!) had a really awkward time taking out the Generals on the beach, too, which frustrated me to no end; every other class seemed to breeze through it, but mine seemed incredibly underpowered at that particular level/moment.
Malabelm wrote:

You think? I thought there was entirely too much running around, gorgeous and detailed as it was. The quests were fun, but I found the whole thing to be a massive chore. My Goblin warrior (Battlesprout!) had a really awkward time taking out the Generals on the beach, too, which frustrated me to no end; every other class seemed to breeze through it, but mine seemed incredibly underpowered at that particular level/moment.

I didn't have any trouble with it at all - (as a warrior too, as it happens, goes by the name of 'Portishead') - but then again he was fully heirloomed up so was massively overpowered for it. In the crappy gear you normally have at that level then yes, I can imagine a warrior struggling a bit as a class.

I've always liked the goblins, even before they were a playable race. They're just such a bunch of arsey bastards :D

The starting zone was big and yes there was quite a bit of running around, but it was just so rich and varied and packed with stories and humour, really enjoyed it and was sorry when it finished.
Got myself a cheap Battlechest today, almost entered the code to go full-version until I realised there's no use pissing away my free month until I reach level 20.
Hmm, I can see my full real name when I view my character, can someone verify whether they can see it as well?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/t ... yva/simple

That REALLY needs to not be the case.
GovernmentYard wrote:
Hmm, I can see my full real name when I view my character, can someone verify whether they can see it as well?

I'm guessing you're actually logged into the Armory website, so yes, it'll show your real name and allow you to see your auctions and events too.

As a 'guest' visitor to your profile I can't see any of those things. (Same way you can't see mine if you look at my link a few posts ago.)
GovernmentYard wrote:

Nope, no real name. And I'm logged in, too. The only way people can see your real name is if you've added them as a chum on Battle.net via email address. The other option is adding their "character" as a chum, in which case you can only see their character name.
#blog">http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2635171#blog

This looks very interesting for us.

If you add friends via real id, then you can party up and do 5 man dungeons together, regardless of what realm you are playing on.

If anyone wants to add me as a real id friend, then feel free. My WoW email addy is "wow at trooperlooper.co.uk"
Trooper wrote:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2635171#blog

If you add friends via real id, then you can party up and do 5 man dungeons together, regardless of what realm you are playing on.

If anyone wants to add me as a real id friend, then feel free. My WoW email addy is "wow at trooperlooper.co.uk"

I've got an L18 Prot Goblin Warrior on Frostwhisper, TBH I can't see me getting my character on Draenor levelled as after a really quiet patch our guild is picking up a bit again so I'm spending my WoW time with my characters there.

Would deffo be up for some cross-realm dungeon BEEX shenanigans though, especially since the entire old world can be soloed now anyway, no such thing as group quests any more really.
Trooper wrote:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2635171#blog

I've got an L18 Prot Goblin Warrior on Frostwhisper, TBH I can't see me getting my character on Draenor levelled as after a really quiet patch our guild is picking up a bit again so I'm spending my WoW time with my characters there.

Would deffo be up for some cross-realm dungeon BEEX shenanigans though, especially since the entire old world can be soloed now anyway, no such thing as group quests any more really.

There are a couple of elite mobs in the wild still, that need a group for, but not many :)

I now have a L12 hunter and a L35 priest. The goblin island was fun, but I agree with the too much running around, and the goblin zombies are a fucking nightmare if you do the rocket boot quest first and hand them back before killing the tribe leaders.

Hunter seems even more easy mode than before, I don't even need to keep my pet happy anymore? I assume I still need to stable my pet if I want to tame a new one and that a pet with charge is the way to go, something like a boar?
What are your loves and hates with it?

Every other keypress or mouseclick rewards you with some xp or something, you can bob on for twenty minutes and get something done.

The feeling that experienced players know a bit more than me, as opposed to them being occult polymaths with comprehensive, instantly-searchable bibles of all game knowledge, like in Eve.

Starting area - typical Shire-ripoff fare, but wander west a bit and plains open up full of whirlwinds and mad shit... gives me the feeling I might have an exciting and varied world to explore once I'm a bit beyond L12.

Arcane magic - not sure all about this and was just getting the hang of it when some other type of thing came up, with trees and such... can't fathom why some magic only appears sometimes and other stuff just needs to recharge. But the pwnage it causes is good fun.

The substantial looking guides in the Battlechest - going for a shit just took on new importance.

It reminds me of Everquest, which I enjoyed immensely for a short while many years ago. On dialup, iirc.

People I know play it, which never really happened with Eve. Most MMOs I tend to try feel like a single player game lots of people are playing at once, mainly because when I try to collaborate, I get asked to do loads of stuff I've never heard of, and get too much help all at once, which does my head in and I go downstairs to play Halo Reach or something.

Not too grindy. Or nearly not too grindy.

Dislikes:

The map is like something from an Amiga game, it's awful. Being in-game doesn't give you the same sense of location being somewhere irl does and a map should seamlessly fill that perception gap. If it could be scrollable instead of that bloody corner-clicky crap that'd be a start.

Endgamers with a motorbike, a dragon, a ghost thing all following them about and filling my screen when I'm trying to enjoy wandering around town. Get off my head.

Sometimes you just want to get to the other side of the field without spending two minutes battling low level things that still go for you despite the minimal XP you get for farting about with them.

Food/healing - like Eve, in the heat of a battle, you are trying to figure out what spells to use, bash shit with your stick and so on... but your health is depleting. I've got a couple of health spells hotkeyed and sometimes these help if other stuff isn't queued already, but apparently eating food will improve my health, but I've got to sit down to eat it, and it does it over time... what point is there in that, when you either get through the fight and your health regenerates very quickly thereafter, or you die.

"mob dropped a magic staff" - fine, I'll replace my gladius with it as it has more hit points and the wand in my off-hand is about as useful in a fight as shouting 'poo-face' at a direwolf despite me being a wizardy type. But all I do is bash stuff with it, can't get any magic out of the fucker. Why is it magic?
GovernmentYard wrote:

Every other keypress or mouseclick rewards you with some xp or something, you can bob on for twenty minutes and get something done.

Indeed, it is the perfect game to spend 2 hours or twenty minutes on, you can always get something done.

GovernmentYard wrote:

Starting area - typical Shire-ripoff fare, but wander west a bit and plains open up full of whirlwinds and mad shit... gives me the feeling I might have an exciting and varied world to explore once I'm a bit beyond L12.

Oh yes, if there is one thing WoW doesn't lack, it's variety and humour. Zones are massively different to each other in terms of environments.

GovernmentYard wrote:
Arcane magic - not sure all about this and was just getting the hang of it when some other type of thing came up, with trees and such... can't fathom why some magic only appears sometimes and other stuff just needs to recharge. But the pwnage it causes is good fun.

It'll all be written down somewhere to tell you what is available when, but I wouldn't worry about it at your level, it'll be come clearer as you play.

GovernmentYard wrote:
It reminds me of Everquest, which I enjoyed immensely for a short while many years ago. On dialup, iirc.

It is Everquest, but better in every single way.

GovernmentYard wrote:
Not too grindy. Or nearly not too grindy.

Heh, it used to be awful for the grind, and faction honour can still be boring, but it is so much better than it used to be!

GovernmentYard wrote:
Dislikes:

The map is like something from an Amiga game, it's awful. Being in-game doesn't give you the same sense of location being somewhere irl does and a map should seamlessly fill that perception gap. If it could be scrollable instead of that bloody corner-clicky crap that'd be a start.

Never really thought about it, but you are right, the map is pretty crap. It goes back to the speed of progression these days, as in the old days you got your sense of location from the travel and time spent in the zones.

GovernmentYard wrote:
Endgamers with a motorbike, a dragon, a ghost thing all following them about and filling my screen when I'm trying to enjoy wandering around town. Get off my head.

Oh yes, thoroughly annoying.

GovernmentYard wrote:
Sometimes you just want to get to the other side of the field without spending two minutes battling low level things that still go for you despite the minimal XP you get for farting about with them.

This gets much easier as you get higher in level. Firstly the mobs aggro range reduces as you get higher level than them, plus mounts allow you to speed past most of them. Occasionally you will get knocked off and have to fight, but it doesn't happen that often.

GovernmentYard wrote:
Food/healing - like Eve, in the heat of a battle, you are trying to figure out what spells to use, bash shit with your stick and so on... but your health is depleting. I've got a couple of health spells hotkeyed and sometimes these help if other stuff isn't queued already, but apparently eating food will improve my health, but I've got to sit down to eat it, and it does it over time... what point is there in that, when you either get through the fight and your health regenerates very quickly thereafter, or you die.

Again, this make much more sense when you get higher level. A low level, the health regeneration when out of combat is very quick, but it doesn't scale with your additional health as you level up. You really don't want to be waiting for the auto health generation once you level up a bit, it will take seemingly hours! The food is there for this reason. In combat you can use health spells if you have them, also some attacking spells give health points as feedback. You can also use bandages from your first aid skill, and drink a potion too. Lots of options, each with a right time to use them :D

GovernmentYard wrote:
"mob dropped a magic staff" - fine, I'll replace my gladius with it as it has more hit points and the wand in my off-hand is about as useful in a fight as shouting 'poo-face' at a direwolf despite me being a wizardy type. But all I do is bash stuff with it, can't get any magic out of the fucker. Why is it magic?

It is magic because it has additional attribute points that augment your character. Don't dismiss the wand, if you get a good one for your level it has a good rate of dps and doesn't cost any mana to use, which will reduce your downtime between mobs.
Trooper wrote:
It'll all be written down somewhere to tell you what is available when, but I wouldn't worry about it at your level, it'll be come clearer as you play.

That's what I'm banking on.

Quote:
Heh, it used to be awful for the grind, and faction honour can still be boring, but it is so much better than it used to be!

Faction.... honour? See, more shit to learn ;)

Quote:
Never really thought about it, but you are right, the map is pretty crap. It goes back to the speed of progression these days, as in the old days you got your sense of location from the travel and time spent in the zones.

I intend to do as much 'on foot' as possible, having found it very rewarding in Fallout 3. I still want map interface design under thirty years old, though. Call me picky, but even the google maps for Warcraft stuff I've found is just the bitmaps ripped from the game, so not really much better.

Quote:
This gets much easier as you get higher in level. Firstly the mobs aggro range reduces as you get higher level than them, plus mounts allow you to speed past most of them. Occasionally you will get knocked off and have to fight, but it doesn't happen that often.

Thank fuck for that.

Quote:
Again, this make much more sense when you get higher level. A low level, the health regeneration when out of combat is very quick, but it doesn't scale with your additional health as you level up. You really don't want to be waiting for the auto health generation once you level up a bit, it will take seemingly hours! The food is there for this reason. In combat you can use health spells if you have them, also some attacking spells give health points as feedback. You can also use bandages from your first aid skill, and drink a potion too. Lots of options, each with a right time to use them :D

This is stuff they want to explain... people with lots of experience in these sort of games might be able to trust in things resolving their usefulness later on, but I don't. There's as much food about as everything else put together, and it's pointless other than for selling. Seemed odd not to just drop coin, really. I'm learning to make food and that, but I've not been sure why up till now. As for bandages, I keep looting linen, then recently found a first aid trainer and learned to bandage... now I'm thinking 'great, so I've made something worth 20 groats into something worth 5'. It's all well and good saying 'learn this' and having new windows appear but it'd be nice to be told what the point is.

Quote:
It is magic because it has additional attribute points that augment your character. Don't dismiss the wand, if you get a good one for your level it has a good rate of dps and doesn't cost any mana to use, which will reduce your downtime between mobs.

I'll assume the first and only one I found wasn't a good one, then. Bloody mindedly trying to kill mobs 3 levels below me using just my wand was a very close thing at times, no matter how often I yelled Expecto Patronum.
Trooper's pretty much nailed most of it there GY, so I'll just add a few comments.

The main city for everyone in the entire game (on Alliance at least) is Stormwind these days, so that's where all the 85s hang out. (For Horde it's Orgrimmar.)

There are however several other capital cities and which one will be your home town depends on what race and faction you are.

For example a Gnome Mage would have Ironforge as his home town, and that place is deserted, so if you want that feeling of exploring a city without constantly being dive-bombed by multi-coloured dragons, you could go for that. On Horde you could roll a Tauren Druid, he'd have Thunder Bluff as his home town, which is a beautiful place and has gorgeous music, and is also deserted. (In fact, at all the capital cities apart from Stormwind and Orgrimmar, you're pretty much only ever going to see players around your own level, doing what you're doing, so that might 'feel' a bit more immersive.)

The capital cities are all pretty much functionally identical (trainers, auction house, bank, forges etc) and there's nothing stopping you as a human jumping on the deeprun tram in The Dwarven District of Stormwind and taking a ride to Ironforge. (In fact, you should do that, it's really cool.)

As for food and drink, sorry if you've mentioned it already GY but I can only see that you're a human, not what class you are? If you're a healing class then food is largely redundant as you can just heal yourself, but drink is important as you'll want mana back without waiting for it to regenerate. For a non-magic class such as a warrior or a hunter, you don't have mana so you'll never want to drink, but food might be important to heal up quickly between fights.

If you're using a wand I'm guessing you're a mage or a priest, or possibly a warlock.

There's also another class of food called 'buff food', whereby eating the food will boost a couple of your stats, different foods improve different stats, so you'll match food to your stats. Back in the day you pretty much always wanted to have buff food and a couple of elixirs on you (elixirs boost stats also), these days it's not really of concern except at the end game. Most high level players will also have the cooking profession, so they can make their own preferred buff food for themselves without having to buy off the auction house. Fishing then complements this well as you can catch the fish yourself, and then cook it up. (There's also tidy money to be made selling the fish on the auction house, or the completed buff food, for lazy players to just buy.)

It's also possible to cook using meat, which is sourced from killing animals.

It's a huge game and there's a massive amount to learn, so just keep asking questions, everyone needs to :)
I'm a mage, I gather we heal. Call me nursie. I predict a career of hitting stuff with arcane offensive spells then healing whatever shit they throw back at me.

Can I buy pointy hats anywhere?

Also - according to this slightly helpful place http://mapwow.com/ The area I started in (Elwynn Forest) is 1-10 and the surrounding areas are slightly higher, I ventured into Westfall and Duskwood and soon found things able to finish me off with no bother, but Dun Morogh oop narth is 1-10 and would provide me with the same as I've got now, only snowier, amirite? Is fast travel already available to me for these zones through the cities? My mate took me round a load of dragon pilot areas or something the day I started, can't really remember, so maybe that's the answer.
GovernmentYard wrote:
I'm a mage, I gather we heal. Call me nursie. I predict a career of hitting stuff with arcane offensive spells then healing whatever shit they throw back at me.

Can I buy pointy hats anywhere?

Also - according to this slightly helpful place http://mapwow.com/ The area I started in (Elwynn Forest) is 1-10 and the surrounding areas are slightly higher, I ventured into Westfall and Duskwood and soon found things able to finish me off with no bother, but Dun Morogh oop narth is 1-10 and would provide me with the same as I've got now, only snowier, amirite? Is fast travel already available to me for these zones through the cities? My mate took me round a load of dragon pilot areas or something the day I started, can't really remember, so maybe that's the answer.

Mages can't heal, they're a pure damage dealing class. Frost spec is probably the best for levelling, not arcane. Fire is somewhere between the two.

Assuming you're already in or near to Stormwind, go to The Dwarven District in the city (it's marked on the map) and get the Deeprun Tram, that'll take you straight to Ironforge, out of Ironforge is Dun Morogh (1-10 starting zone).

From Dun Morogh you can run over to Loch Modan, and quest in Loch Modan, which is the 10+ zone for that bit of the world. You're far too low level for Duskwood, stuff there will kill you on sight and you'll have a massive aggro radius too (in the same way that enemies increasingly ignore you the higher level from them you are, the opposite effect works for enemies that are higher level than you).
You want to quest in Elwynn Forest then move over to Westfall. Duskwood is level 25+ IIRC, so keep away from there! Dun Morogh is the same as Elwynn Forest but for races that start near to it - there's really no reason to go there to quest as well - unless you want to, of course. It's totally up to you.
WTB wrote:
You want to quest in Elwynn Forest then move over to Westfall. Duskwood is level 25+ IIRC, so keep away from there! Dun Morogh is the same as Elwynn Forest but for races that start near to it - there's really no reason to go there to quest as well - unless you want to, of course. It's totally up to you.

Dwarven ladies have tremendous boobies and ask you if you want a pint, that's one reason to go to Dwarfville.
Apparently Azshara is the place to do early stage levelling since Cataclysm...

I'm fine with my mage being just a damage dealer, though I thought I'd done some healing during the training missions.
GovernmentYard wrote:
Apparently Azshara is the place to do early stage levelling since Cataclysm...

I'm fine with my mage being just a damage dealer, though I thought I'd done some healing during the training missions.

Azshara is Horde controlled man - (specifically it's the zone for Goblins to level from 10-20, although any Horde character can go there) - so every NPC in the entire zone will be hostile to you, and no one will give you any quests.

The Goblins won't let you ride on their roller coaster there either, they'll just kill you.

Also, it's on the opposite continent to you and to get there you'd have to get a boat and then run through quite a few high level zones.

wowhead is always your friend! - http://www.wowhead.com/zone=16
Righto, I'm after a Horde charater anyway, once I get a little weary of my ginger mage, so might try the shard you lot are all on, and do that. Or is the BeeX guild a notthehordetheotherlot guild? (You can't 'cross the streams' in that regard, can you?).

I've been told there's now a way to go on another shard and play with mates through battlenet or somesuch, but I shan't be able to until level 20, as I'm not going to be subscribed till I've played through my free bit - can't afford to waste the thirty days in the battle chest I got yesterday.
GovernmentYard wrote:
Righto, I'm after a Horde charater anyway, once I get a little weary of my ginger mage, so might try the shard you lot are all on, and do that. Or is the BeeX guild a notthehordetheotherlot guild? (You can't 'cross the streams' in that regard, can you?).

I've been told there's now a way to go on another shard and play with mates through battlenet or somesuch, but I shan't be able to until level 20, as I'm not going to be subscribed till I've played through my free bit - can't afford to waste the thirty days in the battle chest I got yesterday.

The BEEX guild (such as it isn't) doesn't exist, AFAIK no one's established one. Those folks who were interested have all rolled Horde though, not Alliance. And yes you do need to all be the same faction to group up (not just for instances, but for anything, you can't even trade items across factions or give each other money or talk to each other in the game).

I was going to realm switch one of my characters to Draenor and found a guild but TBH I'm not sure we have the numbers to make it worthwhile, on top of that my guild is picking up again so I'll keep my characters on Frostwhisper with my mates and guildies.

As per my post last night though, I'd love to run some BEEX instances using the REAL ID matchup thingy that's currently in beta. I already have a Goblin (i.e. Horde) Protection (i.e. tank) Warrior at Level 18 so that could work out well. He's fully heirloomed up so I can always put a spurt on with levelling as required.
GovernmentYard wrote:

There isn't a Beex guild, there aren't enough of us playing on the same server. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Yup, you can run dungeons with real id friends on a different server, as I mentioned a few posts ago ;)
As per my post last night though, I'd love to run some BEEX instances using the REAL ID matchup thingy that's currently in beta. I already have a Goblin (i.e. Horde) Protection (i.e. tank) Warrior at Level 18 so that could work out well. He's fully heirloomed up so I can always put a spurt on with levelling as required.

Feel free to add me, I posted my real id address already :D
Trooper wrote:

Request sent dude.
Trooper wrote:

Request sent dude.

Added :) cross faction and cross realm chat ahoy!
I assume you have to be the same faction to dungeon up together? And we need another 3 at least ;)
Trooper wrote:
Added :) cross faction and cross realm chat ahoy!
I assume you have to be the same faction to dungeon up together? And we need another 3 at least ;)

I do have some Horde characters back on Darkspear, I'll have a look and see who's there..... Hmmm just had a look, L25 Orc hunter and an L16 Blood Elf warlock, not too impressive.

My two main Horde characters (druid and a death knight) I've not only realm switched but faction switched as well, so they're Alliance on Frostwhisper now.

You may notice I'm online in the game an awful lot, but that doesn't always mean I'm playing the game actively, for example I'm currently camping out a couple of rare elite spawns that I want as pets on my hunter, so I just have WoW running in the background with NPC_SCAN set to make a most spectacularly awful noise should the creature spawn.

Point being if you send me a message in the game and I 'ignore' it then it'll just because I'm away from my PC, not because I'm an ignorant bastard. (Well I am an ignorant bastard, but not that much :D)
For those who like their hunters :D

Apparently I have 7 days free game time. Not that I care... Ahem.
For a total change of pace I've decided to get back into my hunter (I do enjoy DPS-ing as a change from tanking and healing), running a few random 85 heroics, doing the new epic questline, generally polishing him up. And for no real reason decided I was sick of my boring 'base model' pet wolf which I've used for years.

Check up on Petopia to find something interesting I liked the look of, next thing you know I've decided to go all Pokemon and collect 'em all.....

http://www.wow-petopia.com/browse/collector.html

Some of them are pretty easy to get, certainly the 'olde worlde' ones are as often as not just waiting at one of their spawn points to be tamed, being that they've been around for years so hunters who want them have already got them, and with relatively few people questing the olde worlde these days, not much chance of a random quester having killing it recently.

That said, with spawn timers of 6-72 hours on nearly all of them, it's never a done deal. And from Outland onwards you'll find that a lot of them are still quite highly sought after, even more so in Northrend and then more so again in Cataclysm lands.

Managed to bag myself a few lovelies over the last few days including a really cool spectral owl, a spirit beast bear and a spirit beast tiger.

http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/owlspirit.html
http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/spectralbear.html
http://www.wow-petopia.com/look/spectra ... urple.html

Now ultimately there's no real point to this, and it'll probably take me months of on-off effort to get the full set of rares, but then again, why not? Games are about doing something you find enjoyable, worthwhile, interesting and rewarding. The great thing about WoW is that if you fancy a change of pace, it's got something different for you to do. You don't have to level, you don't have to grind, you don't have to run instances or raid - if all you want to do is enjoy flying around the wonderful vast expanses of the world whilst collecting cool looking pets for your hunter, that's exactly what you can do.

The most difficult of all is going to be - http://www.wowhead.com/npc=54320

He's massively desirable, he spawns over a daily quest hub for 85s, he's only recently been added to the game (patch 4.2), and according to the comments on wowhead not only is he incredibly hard to tame since he's flying high in the sky so you have to get him down to earth before you can start the tame, he also has some very damaging attacks. Also, as I'm on a PvP server I can expect cross-faction shenanigans too :D

I think I'll probably leave him until last :metul:
By fuck, those gnomes have annoying voices.
GovernmentYard wrote:
By fuck, those gnomes have annoying voices.

'My you're a tall one!'

Gnome warriors and death knights are so funny, their swords are about twice as big as they are.
Another hair pulling moment - I'm supposed to be bombing baddies near ironforge and I'm told to get in the repaired bomber. I go over to it and click the green getty-inny arrow, I then get a message saying i can't use the taxi service now because I'm busy.

Fuck this, I'm off to the pub.
GovernmentYard wrote:
Another hair pulling moment - I'm supposed to be bombing baddies near ironforge and I'm told to get in the repaired bomber. I go over to it and click the green getty-inny arrow, I then get a message saying i can't use the taxi service now because I'm busy.

Fuck this, I'm off to the pub.

The game has a few little glitches in it like that, generally speaking relogging the character will fix them.

You have to remember WoW is huge, overall it works remarkably well in the main.
Yeah, working today.

*ding!* and that's my 50 quests achievement. Level fourteen and a half.
Just hit L24 with my Goblin hunter Grobbler (with pet called Bruce). Went from L10 to L24 in Azshara, which is a great zone now :)
I think I will try STV this time and see what has changed there in Cata. What's the best way to get there from Azshara these days, and can I go straight there now, or should I wait a level or two? IIRC I got a quest to send me there in ashenvale which I ignored on my priest.
Trooper wrote:
Just hit L24 with my Goblin hunter Grobbler (with pet called Bruce). Went from L10 to L24 in Azshara, which is a great zone now :)
I think I will try STV this time and see what has changed there in Cata. What's the best way to get there from Azshara these days, and can I go straight there now, or should I wait a level or two? IIRC I got a quest to send me there in ashenvale which I ignored on my priest.

I think the zeppelin goes from Orgrimmar to that Horde camp in Northern Stranglethorn, same as always IIRC - Grom'Gol Base Camp or something?

STV has been split into two distinct zones now, with a big vortex thingy in the middle, but it's the same as it was before in that the top half is lower level and the bottom half is higher level, they've just made it less confused.

EDIT - Ahhh yes, you have heard of wowhead Trooper, haven't you? :DD http://www.wowhead.com/zones=1
I'm.... at a memorial service for Oslo in Stormwind Cathedral... it's like 'have your say' with Orcs.
GovernmentYard wrote:
I'm.... at a memorial service for Oslo in Stormwind Cathedral... it's like 'have your say' with Orcs.

Why are there orcs in Stormwind Catherdral?
Page 4 of 12 [ 566 posts ]