Metaaaal!
Metul and metulurs, rejoice!
Never liked Pantera. To me they were the Slipknot of the early 90s. Everything about them was retarded, from the image (altough that cowboys from hell cover gets points from me) to the lyrics. They're music never did it for me either.

It's always fun to say things like these in metal forums (speccially Portuguese ones) and see their fanboys overreacting in bouts of extreme retardation.
*overreacts in bouts of extreme retardation*

How was that?
I really, really like Slipknot.
Really, really?
Davydd Grimm wrote:
I really, really like Slipknot.

they're music isn't too bad. But their fanboys are a bit less than human. I had the misfortune of going to a festival where slipknot was playing.

Their fans pelted Nickelback with rocks. The concert lasted half of a song. there are videos of that on youtube.
Yep. I think they're sparkly.

Jon Chang is selling some of his record collection. Napalm Death/SOB split on red Flexidisc for $150. I'm having that, even if i means no Supersonic for Davydd...
If you don't turn up to supersonic now, well... DIMRILL SMASH!
Jon Chang wrote:
324 - Tokyo grinders
$15 "324" First ep x2
$10 "Soulwinter" (x2)
$50 split w/ Slight Slappers flexi (less than 200 made)

AC/DC
$02 "Jailbreak / Show Business"

Adrenalin OD - NJ classic thrash band
$20 "A Nice Song in the Key of D"

Anal Cunt/AC - love em or hate em...
$50 Split /w 7 Minutes of Nausea
$50 "Another EP"
$25 split w/ Psycho
$25 split w/ Meat Shits

Black Vomit - local NJ punk thrash
$03 "It's Only Fun and Games Until Someone Loses an Eye"

Borbetomagus - first noise band ever
$15 "Coelacanth"
$15 "The Original Chirping Chicken / Choking Olga"

Boredoms - before they went for a more Kraut rock sound
$35 "Public Bath" ep #932

Buzzkill
$03 "Meat is Dinner"

Confuse - one of the first noise bands, ever. Pricelss.

$150 "Nucelar Addicts / Violent Party" (red flexi)
$150 "Contempt for Authority and Take off the Lie"
$100 "Spending Loud Night"

Corrupted - you know who they are
$75 split w / Meat Slave (Niku Do Rei) flexi (x2)

Deathside - Japanese punk legends
$50 "The WIll Never Die"
$40 "All is Here Now"

Def Master - Fast and catchy industrial
$25 First EP (HG Fact)

Doom - Japanese Prog Heavy Metal
$15 "Go Mad Yourself"
$15 "Why / Last Stand to Hell" flexi
$15 "Freak Out" (x2)

Dystopia - one of their first releases (and my favorite)
$25 split w/ Grief

Gauze - Japanese HC legends
$35 6 song EP on Prank

The Gerogerigegege - Japanese noise legends
$50 "More Shit"
$50 "Senzuri Monkey Mtal Action"

Gore Beyond Necropsy
$10 split w/ Arse Destroyer
$10 split w/ Senseless Apocalypse
$10 split w/ Minch
$10 "Sounds like Shit"

Hot Toasters - eclectic part pop part thrash
$05 "Fish and Doctor"

In Sane'N The Brain - fucking sick psycho speed grind from Japan
$25 9 song ep (1st ep - untitled)

Intense Degree - old school brit hc
$10 "Released"

Jellyroll Rockheads - thrashing HC from Japan
$25 "Intense and Mild"
$25 "Kill Trend Thrash Demo 1999"
$25 split w/ Exclaim

Masonna - noise master
$50 "Dispersa / Susie's Gone" picture disk
$50 "Masonanie Viva Los Angeles"

Melt Banana - very rare, original pressing
$40 split ep w/ God is My Co-Pilot

Merzbow + Gore Beyond Necropsy
$10 "Rectal Grinder"

Mukilteo Fairies - Fast and pissed hc punk
$10 "Special Rites"

Multiplex - technical Japanese DM
$35 "Demo" (this is 2 songs from demo Uncanny Complex / Hypocritical Instinct)
$10 split w/ Exit 13
$25 split w/ Hellchild
$10 "Quest for the Clearness" (black vinyl)
$25 "Quest for the Clearness" (blue vinyl)

Napalm Death - classics
$20 "Live Somewhere in Europe 1988" (re-release on Guts Records)
$10 "You Suffer" ep
$50 "Live 1989" (Rise 001 -original pressing)
$45 "Mentally Murdered"
$150 Split with SOB flexi (Red - 100)
$75 Split with SOB flexi (Black - 1000)

Niku Do Rei - reigning Tokyo noisecore
$05 split w/ Anal Massaker

Null - ambient
$15 "Shooting Star Crash"

Ogreish Organism - Pill from Lip Cream's solo eps, these are sick fast hc
$30 2nd EP untitled (with silver cover on HG Fact)
$30 "4th Plill"

Pleasant Valley Children - super rare classic by Brit Punk unit
$40 "What the World Needs Now"

Pink Flamingos - insanely fast blast beat HC
$45 Live split w/MVD Live (ltd 200)

Post Mortem
$10 "Ring Around the Rectum"
$20 "Seasoned No Salt makes my beef stew taste like my beef stew" - with Seth from AC

Replusion - ultimate grind unit
$25 "Excruciation"

Revenant - NJ Death Metal legends
$50 "Distant Eyes / Degenration"

Ruins - avant garde and fast as hell
$30 "0'33"
$25 split w/ Dawson
$25 split w/ Schlong

Senseless Apocalypse - grand fathers of Japanese blur core
$50 split w/ Rupture
$50 First EP (untitled, 21 songs on Blurred Records)
$35 split w/ Cripple Bastards

Seven Minutes of Nausea - legends of noise
$30 "Our Culture is Boring" (red color ink/red vinyl)
$30 "Your Father Was a Poser"(blue vinly/blue cover)
$30 "Cancelled"
$30 "The Noise of the Rose"
$30 "XX" (Clear vinyl)
$20 "Disobedient Looser"
$20 Split with Eunuch

SM-70 - total speed out of control hard core from Germany
$50 "Krank"
$50 "Cabuk! Cabuk!"

Space Streakings
$20 "Big Echo" Comic Book and EP

Spine Wrench
$05 "Spite Junkie / Smokescreen"
$05 "Helldrag / Green as a Dying Whore"
$05 "Tapping the Vein / Barbed"
$15 split w/ Def Master

Sunshine Super Scum
$05 "Thrown into your Circle"

Toast - last "good" release by Japanese thrash and hardcore band
$75 "Overbug 9" CD EP

Zeni Geva
$15 "Disgraceland"
$15 "Autofuck" Comic Book and EP

Zone - hc punk like Death Side
$15 "Win Back to Sanity"

Perhaps I might not be eating for a while, man. I want all of those records.
I like Slipknot's first album. The one they don't talk about now, for whatever reason. It's full of boss jazz bits and funk pisstaking.
Mate Feed Kill Repeat? I likes that one. Have you heard Crows?
Hey, how do I get that Chang stuff?

Also, legit lol at ruy san.
Email [email protected]. The postage might be a bit steep, mind...
RuySan wrote:
Their fans pelted Nickelback with rocks. The concert lasted half of a song. there are videos of that on youtube.

Well, Nickelback started it! They were a band long before the fans threw rocks at them (wot? no bottles'o'piss? Shameful.)
To all the people that like Slipknot and do not like Pantera......I.....:(

CRY.
If it's any consolation, I don't really like either of them.

My Dying Bride is where it's at, if we're talking 90's.
SteONorDar wrote:
My Dying Bride is where it's at, if we're talking 90's.

Oh yes!
I'll tell you what does suck. Modern metal. I'm so very unfussed by metal these days as 99% of the stuff I hear is fucking terrible now. Mainly from watching Headbanger's Ball on the off-chance that I'll see at least something good.

The thing with this new metal shit is that it's not heavy. Take something like 'Trivium'. They start their songs with the usual lightening fast kickdrums and guitars that are crunchy and loud... but it just doesn't move you at all. Then it usually descends into a bent-as-fuck melodic chorus that sounds like 80s hair metal before going into a very techy guitar solo with the emphasis on cheesy harmonised sections.

Or bands just do that Dillenger Escape Plan thing but by the numbers. Spazzed out sections, the usual chromatic bits and silly jazz things that sound contrived.

Eesh.

I certainly don't like where lead guitar is going these days.

Anyway, for what it's worth.

Best metal album = Carcass: Necrotism
Everyone knows Trivium are crap. But there's a lot of good stuff around now. If you like early Carcass, Davydd or Dimrill can give you more grind than any sane man could ever want.

Me, I prefer the slower stuff mainly, and there'sa hell of a lot of great doom about now. Headbanger's ball may not be the place to find it though...
Necroticism isn't grindcore, you crazy fool!
Yeah! Quit your jibba jabba!
Davydd Grimm wrote:
Necroticism isn't grindcore, you crazy fool!

And yet whenever I say something isn't grind, you tell me it is - are you messing with my head?

Bah, I'm off to listen to Khanate - that makes sense. To me, anyway...
Bluce_Ree wrote:

I'm a big fan of Bill Steer. I remember watching Red Dwarf one evening when Carcass were on as some sort of bar band and so was jumping up and down pointing at the telly. Napalm Death were funny live, I think I saw them with The Stupids in 1988 at the Clarendon Ballroom in London. Now *that* was a venue. Probably the best in Europe, every time I saw a band there I thought I was going to die.

I saw Death Angel, Holy Terror, DRI (most violent, loudest, nastiest gig I ever saw), Nasty Savage and a whole range of classic American thrash there in the 80s. Amazing shit. God I'm old.

Hmmm Khanate, great band.
I agree with you. But i don't mind Trivium. At least they just try to make good songs and have a good time. I prefer that than Dillinger copycats that just want to look all technical and cool.

And another :worship: for early my dying bride. Songs of darkness was an awful album tough. To me they're dead since then.

Bluce_Ree wrote:
I'll tell you what does suck. Modern metal. I'm so very unfussed by metal these days as 99% of the stuff I hear is fucking terrible now. Mainly from watching Headbanger's Ball on the off-chance that I'll see at least something good.

The thing with this new metal shit is that it's not heavy. Take something like 'Trivium'. They start their songs with the usual lightening fast kickdrums and guitars that are crunchy and loud... but it just doesn't move you at all. Then it usually descends into a bent-as-fuck melodic chorus that sounds like 80s hair metal before going into a very techy guitar solo with the emphasis on cheesy harmonised sections.

Or bands just do that Dillenger Escape Plan thing but by the numbers. Spazzed out sections, the usual chromatic bits and silly jazz things that sound contrived.

Eesh.

I certainly don't like where lead guitar is going these days.

Anyway, for what it's worth.

RuySan wrote:
And another :worship: for early my dying bride. Songs of darkness was an awful album tough. To me they're dead since then.

I don't mind that one, there's some good tracks on it. A Line of Deathless Kings, now that's poor. But they'll have to do a lot more than that for me to stop liking them - hell, I still like Paradise lost!
A Line Of Deathless Kings isn't that bad, man! But then, Like Gods Of The Sun is my favourite of theirs.
I wish Paradise Lost had continued on with the Host and Believe in Nothing sound, personally. Although Symbol of Life was an amazing album, I can't get in to the last 2.
GeeZa wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:

I'm a big fan of Bill Steer. I remember watching Red Dwarf one evening when Carcass were on as some sort of bar band and so was jumping up and down pointing at the telly. Napalm Death were funny live, I think I saw them with The Stupids in 1988 at the Clarendon Ballroom in London. Now *that* was a venue. Probably the best in Europe, every time I saw a band there I thought I was going to die.

yes!

Bill's one of my guitar heroes. His stuff with Carcass was amazing and he was phenomenal live when I saw them supporting Bodycount, who were terrible.

There were only a handful of us getting into Carcass that night. Everyone else was booing them. Cunts.

I love The Stupids as well. For a UK hardcore band they had some really tasty riffs.

Currently I'm struggling. The last thing I've really liked was Poison The Well. I don't what they are classified as but musically they are really interesting and the singer has a great shouty voice. I think they have a touch of the emo about them but not offensively so.

I sort of like one song by a band called Devildriver. But past that they seem shit.

I've struggled with Doom/Black metal stuff because I need some sort of hook behind it rather than Black Sabbath style sludgery or incessant blast beats. Interesting discordant guitar is what I'm looking for.

Still can't get better than Killing Joke's 1982 'Revelations' album. It's still the heaviest most unsettling piece of work ever. But in a subtle kind of way.
Davydd Grimm wrote:
A Line Of Deathless Kings isn't that bad, man! But then, Like Gods Of The Sun is my favourite of theirs.

You liked 34.788% Complete best last time, you fickle fellow!
Bluce_Ree wrote:
I've struggled with Doom/Black metal stuff because I need some sort of hook behind it rather than Black Sabbath style sludgery or incessant blast beats. Interesting discordant guitar is what I'm looking for.

Burzum's Filosofem album is for you. Even though he's politically dubious.
Dimrill wrote:

One of my favourite all time albums. He doesn't refer to politics in the lyrics, you have to find that in interviews.
SteONorDar wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

One of my favourite all time albums. He doesn't refer to hilariously ill-informed naziism in the lyrics, you have to find that in interviews.

Amusingly-naive-'I'm not a Nazi, I'm ODINIST!' FTFY
I'll check it out - although I read a book about them blackmetal fellas from Norway (all about the church burnings) and whilst it was quite entertaining I'm not sure how much I can get into their music.

parallel: I've been told that 'The Thick of It' is hilarious but I can't make that leap because... well... you know... Langham...

where's death metal up to these days? I was a huge fan of Death and the like. I'd be surprised if anyone's made anything more amazing than Cynic's 'Focus' album or as groovy as Obituary's 'Cause of Death' but again I'm open to suggestions!
Emptydemic Degree are pretty good, scarily brutal French death metal. No too tech, there's some groove in there.
Nile "Sacrifice Unto Sebek" = bostin. DON'T LISTEN TO DAVYDD! Terribly compressed there, though.
SACRIFICE UNTO SEBEK CAN FUCK OFF

Nile, except not shit.
And Death Breath again to even up the old school Swedish quota.
Bluce_Ree wrote:
where's death metal up to these days? I was a huge fan of Death and the like. I'd be surprised if anyone's made anything more amazing than Cynic's 'Focus' album or as groovy as Obituary's 'Cause of Death' but again I'm open to suggestions!

Your death metal faves are the exact same as mine. good stuff! Human by Death is just so utterly perfect, and Focus still sounds like nothing else on earth 15 years on.

I too have not followed Death Metal at all since the 90's (cos it went really shit and I got very bored of it all) but this last year I have REALLY enjoyed the new Blood Red Throne album on (surprisingly) Earache. Like classic era Carcass/Death/At The Gates/Deicide all mixed together, superb record. That and the new Obituary album (no, seriously, check it out, its brilliant) is all I've got into in the last couple years. Other than that, best death metal I heard this millennium is Creation is Crucifixion. Morbid Angel on crack with filthy production, YES!
I really don't get on with all this BROOOOTAAALLL Death Metal stuff. All a bit too macho steroid skinhead mosher for me. Give me heart wrenching Chuck Schuldiner guitar solos and At the Gates melodic ferocity any day, ta.
I likes a bit of BROOTALITY, I do, despite being a wussy, terrified girly-man. It's all abiut the music, not the grunting idiots making it.

Anyway, grind is better.
Hmmm, dunno, just doesn't really work for me. I know my biggest preference with music is more the production style than the actual musical style. Hence why I completely went off Black Metal in the mid 90's when they all started signing to big labels and having nice polished production. After In The Nightside Eclipse, I have no interest in Emperor at all, just far too polished, took all the beautiful character out of the music. Hence my total love for Filosofem since it just has so much incredible depth to its really stripped and minimal music. The Vocals are perfect. Only when I started hearing bands going down that road in the last few years did I get interested again.

Same with Death Metal, I really hate most post 95 Death Metal productions, just sounds so utterly over-produced, especially the BROOTALL stuff, just has no character left in the sound, toooooooo much compression, so totally one dimensional. It does take a lot to please me though when it comes to music as I have pretty damn eclectic tastes, rarely does a band doing the standard whatever thing interest me these days, probably why the Mosh1-100 Earache releases were so life changing for me since you had bands covering every conceivable type of Extreme music at the time. Bands like Old were just incredible and so utterly unique.

I dunno why I just typed all that, brain needed stimulation I guess...
I'm certainly not arguing that pristine production is a plus; I love Darkthrone and dislike Decapitated.
Have you guys seen Metalpocalypse? Bruuuuuuuuutal.
Davydd Grimm wrote:
I'm certainly not arguing that pristine production is a plus; I love Darkthrone and dislike Decapitated.

Oh yesyesyes, Transylvanian Hunger FTW. I think with BROOTALL death maetal, the whole emphasis is on it being really tight and heavy, so the way its always done is through the production being compressed to within an inch of its life. Meshuggah with a production like symphonies of sickness would just be a sloppy blurry mess, which is fair enough why they dont do it like that. But I just don't like everything sounding that tight and clinical, sounds soulless to me. Unless your Dream Theatre of course, then thats COMPLETELY different!
Bluce_Ree wrote:
[I've struggled with Doom/Black metal stuff because I need some sort of hook behind it rather than Black Sabbath style sludgery or incessant blast beats. Interesting discordant guitar is what I'm looking for.

My current faves are Furze (his "Necromanzee Cogent" album is one of the best of all time imo but a total head-fuck) and Deathspell Omega who are just complete post-rock genius. I would ignore both of those for now as they're very demanding if you're coming to it fresh.

If you want *seriously* hooky and commercial Black and/or Doom you cannot go wrong with Satyricon's last record which basically sounds like AC/DC in corpse paint:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQdsKH3Qt8

...or for more of a commercial Doom vibe check out Sahg's debut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7FRUTRhekk

Both from Norway but going down the commercial route. If you want older-school Black Metal then check out Israel's Tangorodrim. They're fabulous. Maybe Japan's Coffins but they might be a bit too sludgey for you. For hooky Doom there's a lot of excellent stuff, old-timers Pentagram and any of the Wino projects (esp. Spirit Caravan) being the obvious first points.
Dimrill wrote:
I wish Paradise Lost had continued on with the Host and Believe in Nothing sound, personally. Although Symbol of Life was an amazing album, I can't get in to the last 2.

agreed.

There are so many bands that would be better now if it were not for this "return-to-roots" bullshit. Dark Tranquillity for example.
SteONorDar wrote:
Davydd Grimm wrote:

You liked 34.788% Complete best last time, you fickle fellow!

"like gods of the sun" is teh ghey

"light at the end of the world" gets my vote, as the best mdb album no one cares about. "turn loose the swans" is better tough.
RuySan wrote:
. "Release the Geese" is better tough.

Comedy FTFY.

Oh, you're right about The Light at th End of the World, too.

As for Paradise Lost, much prefer the last two to anything since Draconian Times - couldn't get on with their "experimental" stuff...
SteONorDar wrote:
RuySan wrote:
. "Release the Geese" is better tough.

Comedy FTFY.

Oh, you're right about The Light at th End of the World, too.

As for Paradise Lost, much prefer the last two to anything since Draconian Times - couldn't get on with their "experimental" stuff...

the problem is that if i try to listen to the last 2, i think to myself that i should be listening to draconian times instead
Bluce_Ree wrote:
I'd be surprised if anyone's made anything more amazing than Cynic's 'Focus' album or as groovy as Obituary's 'Cause of Death' but again I'm open to suggestions!

Cynic fans would do well to check out Behold... the Arctopus. Not as ohmigodseminal, but there's a similar melodiovirtuosity to it.

In terms of general DM, I like the Black Dahlia Murder (though many here wouldn't) and loved Rune. There's not much going on at the moment. You had Mithras a few years ago, but that was more prog than anything else if you ask me. Actually, Coffins rules pretty hard.
RuySan wrote:
"light at the end of the world" gets my vote, as the best mdb album no one cares about. "turn loose the swans" is better tough.

turn loose the swans = ultimate sensitive teenage mosher album. your river is just perfect! MrMarsh will agree (where are you?)

I lost my virginity to The Angel And The Dark River. Wahey! :P
Page 2 of 47 [ 2343 posts ]