Metaaaal!
Metul and metulurs, rejoice!
I like a good bit of metal stuff. I've been getting back into Meshuggah and Norma Jean recently.
I've rediscovered cLOUDDEAD. Oh, it's good. Next, I'll be digging out The Bug and Four Tet. Not metal, but who cares?
Davydd Grimm wrote:
I've rediscovered cLOUDDEAD. Oh, it's good. Next, I'll be digging out The Bug and Four Tet. Not metal, but who cares?

I CAST YE OUT, YE TRAITOROUS SCUM!

Oh wait... you downloaded Clouddead off my soulseek last night didn't you? .... errr, nevermind. As you were.

The Razor X Productions, Bug vs Rootsman 2CD is by FAR the best Bug stuff. That and his new 12" on Planet Mu, Skeng. Download the Maida Vale Bug vs Soundmurderer live set that's widely available on slsk. Probably the best ragga vs jungle set ever! Soundmurderer is the MAN!
RuySan wrote:
the problem is that if i try to listen to the last 2, i think to myself that i should be listening to draconian times instead

True for the self-titled, I think In Requiem has a character of it's own, rather than being a step backwards. Anyway, you should be listening to Gothic ;)
pupil wrote:
Davydd Grimm wrote:

I CAST YE OUT, YE TRAITOROUS SCUM!

Oh wait... you downloaded Clouddead off my soulseek last night didn't you? .... errr, nevermind. As you were.

That first album was absolutely amazing (but one of those albums you love but rarely listen to, if you know what I mean). Second album not so much, but the Boards of Canada remix on the 'Dead Dogs Two' 12" was sublime.
Agreed, Gothic is definitely my favourtie. I stopped listening after Icon, way too Metallica-ey after that. I haven't listened to Paradise Lost in about ten years though, I may have to download Shades Of God for nostalgia sakes now.

How's about old Cathedral, anyone? The Ethereal Mirror is brilliant.

Let's Groove, Sonic MotherFucker!
throughsilver wrote:
That first album was absolutely amazing (but one of those albums you love but rarely listen to, if you know what I mean). Second album not so much, but the Boards of Canada remix on the 'Dead Dogs Two' 12" was sublime.

Absolutely THIS. Agree with everything you say here. Best Clouddead thing has got to be their remix of Closed Shoulders on the Boom Bip, Corymb record, that is just incredible. Why more people aren't making gushing/droning/ethereal downbeat hip hop like that, I have no idea. Incredible track, big inspiration to some of my more recent stuff.
pupil wrote:
Agreed, Gothic is definitely my favourtie. I stopped listening after Icon, way too Metallica-ey after that. I haven't listened to Paradise Lost in about ten years though, I may have to download Shades Of God for nostalgia sakes now.

How's about old Cathedral, anyone? The Ethereal Mirror is brilliant.

Let's Groove, Sonic MotherFucker!

gothic after Draconian Times. Gothic gets double points for having one of the best guitar sound ever.

Both are my favorite PL records anyway.
pupil wrote:
throughsilver wrote:

Absolutely THIS. Agree with everything you say here. Best Clouddead thing has got to be their remix of Closed Shoulders on the Boom Bip, Corymb record, that is just incredible. Why more people aren't making gushing/droning/ethereal downbeat hip hop like that, I have no idea. Incredible track, big inspiration to some of my more recent stuff.

There was a big thing back in the day, 2001-3, about the 'Undie' movement. There was cool stuff going on, like Boom Bip & Doseone, Hood, or Fog's Ether Teeth... and that could be extended to stuff like Cannibal Ox or Dälek (the two hiphop crews I would wholeheartedly recommend to a metal fan, as I desperately try to steer back on-topic), who were crushing, bleak and smart.

Interesting times.
I quite like Maiden - can I play in your thread?
No! You may only play in Maaaaaaaaaadness! (duggaWOW).

Maiden used to be my faaaaaav band. Infact, the Maiden hoody I bought at the MEN (for £45 bloody quid!) is the only outer garment I wear these days. I had, at my peak, 7 Iron Maiden branded tops. One of them is currently bears the signature of Nicko McBrain, so I don't wear that any more, one was a massive mistake to buy (gaudy, a 'full' print one, ie not just a logo or a little square of picture - it was heavy and full of 'paint' and looked crap upclose. You could literally see the pixels. It was like that dutch art movement).... and the rest are just full of holes :D

edit: I cut the sleeves off one to give me a broooootal sleeveless. I need more meat on me though.
devilman wrote:
Pantera to me are like Slayer and Fear Factory - some great tracks but if you listen to too much of it, it all becomes much of a muchness.

Of course, if you're listening to Transgression "too much" becomes "more than two songs", and I'm the kind of person who thinks the reaction to Digimortal was a bit harsh (though not totally unjustified).

I recently dragged one of my flatmates along to a gig I had a spare ticket for, because he was the only person about and was wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt. I don't think he was quite prepared for Blood Red Throne, but he seemed to enjoy it anyway.
Craster wrote:
I quite like Maiden - can I play in your thread?

Looking at your avatar, you're metal enough!
Maiden have been the highlight of the past two Grand Prix.

(Longshot) Anyone listen to Manowar?
Grim... wrote:

Oh hell yeah! Not the last album though...
Grim... wrote:

I don't have any albums and it propppppa pisses me off when they play battle-fucking-hymns in clubs, but yeah, I quite like them. FIGHT UNTIL WE DIE! TRUE METAL! etc
Grim... wrote:

I will always think of Manowar for the coach trip back to England after Dynamo '98 Festival in Eindhoven, some proper hairy biker guy put Manowar on the stereo and the whole coach was singing and rocking out, it was well funny. TRUE METAAAAAAHHHHHLLLL!!!

Damn, Dynamo Festival was ace, I went in '96 and '98 and they were the two most metal experiences of my life. I keep toying with the idea of going to Wacken, looks a lot of fun too.
I've got a couple of Manowar albums. Fighting the World's my fave, the album where they almost went mainstream.
Fighting the world is my favourite too, but I have a special kind of love for the latest one. It's just so... Odd!
Grim... wrote:
Fighting the world is my favourite too, but I have a special kind of love for the latest one. It's just so... Odd!

The problem with the latest one is that it sounds like a bad Rhapsody album. Don't get me wrong, I love Rhapsody, but from Manowar I want METAL!!!!, not one song followed by two classical pieces and one spoken word section...
Grim... wrote:

Manowar should only ever be listened to in an ironic way...you know with an ironic look on your face. "Black Arrow" is the height of silliness (and therefore splendid).

They are however incredibly popular over here, you can hear them on the radio and everything.
Only current METUL band I enjoy are QotSA, apart from their last album. To be honest though I'm MUCH more partial to a slice of 80's Goth, especially Sisters of Mercy, Siouxie and the Banshees and The Cure.

No point in having dark, broody lyrics if you can't make out what they're singing IMHO.
I've got "Pissing Razors - Dodging Bullets" as my Alarm clock! Sweet!

Also what about Slayer and Sepultura... some greats there.
Why not? It adds to the depression! "I'm so shit I can't even hear what they're saying! BOOhoohoo!! *slices arms*"
Anyone know much Virgin Steele? They're supposed to almost out-Manowar Manowar, but from what little snippets I've actually heard, they're utter crap. Spoken sections in albums should be banned. Only Maiden knew how to do it properly - a few lines at most, right at the start of the song and then away we go.
Tmuk wrote:
Anyone know much Virgin Steele? They're supposed to almost out-Manowar Manowar, but from what little snippets I've actually heard, they're utter crap. Spoken sections in albums should be banned. Only Maiden knew how to do it properly - a few lines at most, right at the start of the song and then away we go.

I went to a Maiden concert where they started with the full Churchill speech before Aces High. It was about ten minutes long, and it was great :)
Grim... wrote:
Tmuk wrote:

I went to a Maiden concert where they started with the full Churchill speech before Aces High. It was about ten minutes long, and it was great :)

OK, well they kept it short on the albums at least. 'My son, ask for thyself another kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.' always sends a shiver down my spine. It's so cheesy but it introduces the song (Alexander the Great)so well :D
I got asked by my mates in Unicorn Love last night if I wanted to jump in the van and go to this on Saturday, WAHEY! :D

http://www.skiddle.com/whatson/guide.php/skiddle/Glasgow/13th_Note_Cafe/GLASGOW_IMPLODES_III/11222432/

Bong and Wraiths are awesome and listening to Black Sun on myspace last night, they sound reet good also!

FUNFUNFUN!
Maiden are my all time fav band. No contest. Seen them three times so far always a stunning gig.
Up the irons!

I like such a mix of gothrock metal, and whatever the hell other names people like to make up these days that they all kinda merge into rock/metal for me.

Hm.. I love Wolfmother, Lamb of God, Motorhead, Velvet Revolver, old, true, Guns n Roses, Incubus, Devildriver, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Marylin Manson,My Ruin Nirvana, some Soil, some Buckcherry..hm if I get into 'some of' I could be here all day with random shit.
I like a lot of older stuff. I do like to find new bands, so suggest away...although I'm not into 'screaming' I consider most of it noise...except My Ruin, who rock.
Shewolf wrote:
Maiden are my all time fav band. No contest. Seen them three times so far always an identical gig.
Up the irons!

FTFY!

as for your tastes, try Black Stone Cherry and Silvertide. Two smallish bands but I think they might suit you.
No. Listen to Merzbow vs. Gore Beyond Necropsy.
Speaking of whom, have you heard the Boris & Merzbow record yet, I was reading about it in Terrorizer in Borders, sounds really interesting. Boris are tops.
Which one? Rock Dream, Megatone or 04092001? They've done 3 with him.
Walrus And Groon is aceness.
Dimrill wrote:
Which one? Rock Dream, Megatone or 04092001? They've done 3 with him.

Oh fucking hell, I can't keep up! The new one that they talked about in Terrorizer. I'll slsk it tonight anyway.
Oops, forgot Sun Baked Snow Cave, so that's 4 they've done with him.
And Walrus and Groon.

Rainbow with Michio Kurihara is really good.
What do you all think of this song by the 'Meat'?

Attachment:
01 - The Monster Is Loose - Bat out of Hell III- The Monster Is Loose.mp3

Before you all laugh at me, have a listen. It was quite good, I thought. Not what I was expecting, certainly.
Actually, Maiden were not identical at all the three times I've seen them :)

I'll take a look at Recommendations :)
Shewolf wrote:
Actually, Maiden were not identical at all the three times I've seen them :)

I'll take a look at Recommendations :)

i went to see maiden during their "back to the old days" tour (or something like that). I had no idea of what was the tour about and came back very disappointed. For me Maiden was best between Powerslave and Seventh Son, so it felt like a waste.
Grim... wrote:

Attachment:

Before you all laugh at me, have a listen. It was quite good, I thought. Not what I was expecting, certainly.

Paradise By the Dashboard Light is one of the best songs ever. EVER.
Grim... wrote:

Attachment:

That whole album was a disappointment - not a patch on Bat 1, Deadringer, or Bad Attitude. Not even as good as Bat 2... He's just trading on past glories now, although supposedly still fantastic live.
Davydd Grimm wrote:
And Walrus and Groon.

Rainbow with Michio Kurihara is really good.

OK. Here's a question:

What do people reckon is the best Boris album and why? Also: have they made their 'classic' yet?

I can't decide what I think their best non-collab album is, and I reckon there is an epoch-defining record in them. At some point.
I've never been overly keen on them, personally. So far Flood has moved me more than their others, but it's very much a "flashes of brilliance" affair.
They're far too disparate; maybe when they decide who Boris actually is then they'll release a genuine classic.

I fucking love Heavy Rocks, mind.
Bother. eBay misadventures. I spotted a copy of the sunnO)))/Earth tour 12" and my stupid snipe programme failed on me. BTW, I'd just like to clarify that I don't use the programme for evil means; I just have relatively slow internet so I watch while it does its auto thing. I proper wanted this record, but the bid failed - and the item went for way less than my highest bid. Gutted.

Still, at least I got Earth's HEX on picture disc.

re: Boris. I specified non-collab because I think Altar is absolutely where it, to paraphrase Beck, is at. Love it dearly, and it's one of my big fave albums of the decade. In terms of their stuff on their own, there is a hell of a lot of really good stuff, but I dunno. Nothing I'd shout from the rooftops about. Flood is well good, but obv a bit heavy going. Heavy Rocks is fantastic, but I get fatigued by it. Pink might be the closest for me, certainly in CD form (the vinyl release is differently sequenced, with longer songs for those who don't know). Maybe Dronevil -final- would make podium, if only it didn't require two stereos to get the fullness.

They're a great band, but frustrating with it.
Flood, maybe. Although, what I can only assume is some kind of bootleg stereo version of Dronevil, is my actual favourite so far.
Pod wrote:
as for your tastes, try Black Stone Cherry and Silvertide. Two smallish bands but I think they might suit you.

I'm listening to Black Stone Cherry right now, apparently I'm going to see them this summer when they are a support band for a big gig*.

*knows loads about it - honest!
CUS wrote:
Although, what I can only assume is some kind of bootleg stereo version of Dronevil, is my actual favourite so far.

I'm intrigued.

Though to clarify, the offish one is stereo, there's just one disc for the 'drone' and one for the 'evil' (i.e. a guitars disc and a feedback/noise disc a la Neurosis and their Times of Grace / Grace set).
Oh. *looks* Sorry, I appear to have gone completely mad. I don't have any kind of bootleg of Dronevil, and the thing that's my favourite is er, "Boris At Last" or "Feedbacker" as I know it. I'm not familiar with Boris, I just have lots of their stuff from er, somewhere.

Feedbacker, anyway, is my fave.
Page 3 of 47 [ 2343 posts ]