MORE pics what I have taken with my camera
Your portraits are great, Pete. Excellent how the light points down to the hands of the guy at the table.
I hope you don't mind me saying but I think the lake shot would be improved by cropping out the foreground, Craster. It would enhance the mirror image of the reflection. IMHO, obv.
Wullie wrote:
You sure there's enough dugs there?

Attachment:
dugs.jpg

I was going to go daft with this but I got bored & hungry ;)

Please go daft with it. :D
Decca wrote:

Would make a great "spot the ball" competition.
Ramsea wrote:
Decca wrote:

Would make a great "spot the ball" competition.

I dunno man, I'm pretty sure I can get it.
I wouldnt be so sure, they're never as easy as you think. :DD
Zardoz wrote:
I hope you don't mind me saying but I think the lake shot would be improved by cropping out the foreground, Craster. It would enhance the mirror image of the reflection. IMHO, obv.

Yeah, I was thinking that, I dunno. I like having foreground in those sort of shots, it sort of 'anchors you'. Plus I'd lose some of the reflection on the right if I cropped it all out. Not sure, may have a fiddle.
Zardoz wrote:

I disagree. I think foreground is all important in landscape shots, the provide the necessary context for scale and distance.
More often than not, yes. My suggestion was to enhance the mirror like quality of the reflection.

Also: The sense of scale and distance would be maintained by the pines in the middle ground.

Also also: The shot would really need to be set up like that from the outset to get the horizon bang in the centre and the waters edge out of view from the bottom. Can't crop that shot as is to get the effect I'm talking about.

Also also also: It's really bloody nice anyway.
Pete - I love that laptop cafe one.

Craster, they are some amazing shots, can't wait till you get back and tell us all about it.

Zardoz - I love that one of your little girl, it's gorgeous.
Thanks GJ, I had to rescue the batch of shots they were taken from as I stupidly formatted the card in my camera.

Great freeware (through Terminal but easy peasy) for Mac users if you ever lose anything that way here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
Not had time to edit all the photos from today yet, two I quite like so far

ducks on lake by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

sheffield fountain by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr
One more, to annoy Zardoz.

No that works brilliantly. Better texture/interest in the foreground.

Brilliant again mate. Looks like a beautiful place to visit.
You should get out on the ice and take a shot of the shore.
Awww man I'm envious :S

fountain B&W by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

ducks by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

group fountain by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr
That b&w pic is great, Decca.
DavPaz wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I disagree. I think foreground is all important in landscape shots, the provide the necessary context for scale and distance.

I agree with Zardoz :P It doesn't need a whole lot of cropping, when I was scrolling up and down the page I found that just taking the longer bits of grass off the bottom improved the shot greatly. You still need some of the shoreline in there.

I am just very jealous, Craster. I would love to go to west coast Canada and up to Alaska.
Excellent ducks there, Decca!

And like everyone else said: "woah" at Craster.
My first good pic from my D5000...

Daiy by PenLlawen, on Flickr
Craster those Canada pictures are incredible. Gaywood, your dogs have such expressive faces and thats a wonderful picture :)
I love the Daisy picture, and require another full shot so we can get an idea of the size of her. :D
Lovely dog shot there Gaywood, massive snout. It works fine for dogs but be warned of facial distortion using wide-angle on humans. Took me ages to realise that. This pic is fine, though!

Craster, those Canada shots are beautiful. Foreground works for the second lake shot, not as much for the first. I'd love to have a look at the big versions. Have you got a Flickr link you could put as a sig?

Good colourful waterfall shot with the kids there. And lovely B&W portrait, shame about the bit of clutter behind his head though.

New one - view big for best effect:

Knife
Two more pics:

Gold Jacket of Awesome

Bridge Coffee Owner

This man is the owner of The Bridge, a Coffee House & Bar in Shoreditch, at 15 Kingsland Road. He's great fun, and the coffee's wonderful.
Lovely as usual m'dear, I like that the chap is just so damn happy to be photographed and next time I'm in london I most certainly will go to his shop.

Maroon? It's gold. if you see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon_%28color%29 and that jacket as the same then you might look at colour blindness tests.
Yeah I was going to say, it is awesome, but it's the opposite of maroon.
Still a nice jacket though, it certainly fits her well (there was a pun, I didn't go there.)
kalmar wrote:
Yeah I was going to say, it is awesome, but it's the opposite of maroon.

I think you both need your eyes checked. It always said 'Gold'. *Cough*
DavPaz wrote:
It's orange.

*ARGH!* (Hurls self out of window)

Anyway, enough about the colour. It's the photo as a whole that counts. I particularily like the way the red grass in the background offsets the pink sky.
I love the Coffee Guy picture. Great background with just the right amount of detail. Did he pose?
No, he tried to pose but he was just too full of beans to do it properly, which I think makes the pic actually. The preceding evening I went round and he was complaining about how long he'd been behind the bar that day, and how he was tired and cranky - and then in telling me and another couple of customers this he begins talking faster and more animatedly, and next thing we know he's jesting, laughing, talking about boxing, asking us to dance for our coffee... the guy's a legend and really rakes up the laughs. He's good for some serious chat too. Anyway, he moves constantly - I shot off five shots of him, this was the least blurred. I like the blur on his right arm though, it hints at his restlessness.

Anyway,well worth going there. Lots of boxing memorabilia and a 'Best of K.O's' video on an old-skool TV above the door.
NervousPete wrote:
I like the blur on his right arm though
Your ability to tell left from right is apparently no better than your ability to differentiate orange and maroon :)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
NervousPete wrote:
I like the blur on his right arm though
Your ability to tell left from right is apparently no better than your ability to differentiate orange and maroon :)

*Picks self up off of pavement outside, runs back indoors, hurls self out of window again.* "ARGH!"
At least he knows the difference between Nikon and Canon.

The Coffee Man shot is great, love the lighting, the polished chrome shining away and his expression. Shame about his purple shirt though.
You need to write the bloke from the coffee shop's 'story', Pete. And then publish it somewhere with that eggshellent photo.
I couldn't see these at work, but I love the coffee shop man photo, I couldn't tell you exactly why, but it is just really good.
I need to start taking a better camera with me on walks... crappy phone pic, ahoy!

Mersey Wave by MrDavPaz, on Flickr
Decca wrote:

That *was* a Reliant Robin. Oh dear.
I agree that the coffee shop man picture is great, I think the colour is lovely. Really bright and cheerful made even more so by his expression :)
Gilly, get busy with your camera!* You did get your battery back, didn't you? ;)

*And everyone else too!
kalmar wrote:
That *was* a Reliant Robin. Oh dear.

I never knew they had a centre mounted canon.
Zardoz wrote:
Gilly, get busy with your camera!* You did get your battery back, didn't you? ;)

*And everyone else too!

Yeah, I've been meaning to put some picture up but our PC wasn't set up for ages after we moved and then we didn't have internet for ages...
I will take some more soon, most of my recent ones have been of Willow and I'm sure that people must be getting sick of the sight of her :p
I really hope that that shell buggy thing's horn goes "mun un na na na mu nu naa naa naaaa"
Nah, post away, Gilly. The subject may be the same but the technique and surroundings are always different*. Get out and take pictures of Bonnie Scotchland too.

*I mean, everyone likes looking at my bug pics, dont they? :'(
Hah, I just loaded this thread and saw your picture at the top of the page Gaywood. every other time I've viewed it, it's been on my phone. Made me chuckle to see it on the screen like that. You should get that printed and hung in the porch :)

Anyway...a wee quick phone pic of Willow :luv: we were in the car with her sitting at my feet, feeling sleepy after a walk. So she made herself comfy :)

Attachment:
willow.jpg
That's excellent. I guess Willow must be pretty big then now eh?
Page 3 of 50 [ 2487 posts ]