Eurovision Song Contest
Laughing at forrins
Yes, the acts we put up convey the impression that we don't take it seriously. and the audience sense that.
We put up Blue, Englebert Humperdink and Bonnie Tyler in three recent consecutive years, which I assume was an attempt at trying to prove that we’d send known, established names and were trying to take it seriously (though... Humperdink).
Didn't Blue finish 11th? That was a great song and a brilliant performance. Let's send them again!
I reckon if we sent Harry Styles with a power ballad, we'd do ok.
As with the London Marathon, we shouldn't enter expecting to win. We should aim for an acceptable score - something on the left hand screen, ideally equivalent points given by both by juries and the great unwashed.
Set a pace, show the continent that we're back, and create a platform for higher positions over several years.

Also, although without the BBC's cash the contest probably wouldn't be happening at all and automatic entry is a very nice thing to have, we should consider going into the semi-finals so the song can gain exposure early on. Would it be so bad if the UK was knocked out early on because the song wasn't up to it?
Can’t we just send Take That to do it? They can’t be overly busy, can they?

OR we need to do one of those things like Band aid, and just get everyone together to perform for one night, crowd the stage with every recognisable person we can think of AND a good song, and see what happens. If we don’t finish in the top half, throw toys out of the pram and storm off.
Is Tony Monopoly still available?
I like Mitch Benn's suggestion over on Twitter, especially this bit:

Mitch Benn wrote:
what we need is the closest thing possible to All You Need Is Love that doesn’t get us sued by Yoko
Eurovision week!
Won't be watching the Eurosemis as I'm saving myself for the big day itself.

Hoping that the UK can get on the left hand side of the screen for once.

Giphy "eurovision!":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/ienko7tUwlgz86igqU/giphy-loop.mp4
I haven't heard any of the competition, but the UK one this year seems like a really good, eurovision style tune. Maybe we'll get one or two votes this year. There's a new villain in Europe, after all
My kids have been invited to a birthday party this Saturday... 6:30 till 8:30pm.

I mean, honestly... The one day of the year I look forward to and this happens! It's the neighbours kids too so it's a difficult one to get out of. Annoying.
Who has a kids party in the evening? Disgrace
TheVision wrote:
My kids have been invited to a birthday party this Saturday... 6:30 till 8:30pm.

I mean, honestly... The one day of the year I look forward to and this happens! It's the neighbours kids too so it's a difficult one to get out of. Annoying.

You say that as if its not possible to make it a Eurovision themed birthday party ?

Dress up as Lordi and go
I'm.going to go out on a limb here and predict that Ukraine will win.
I reckon if Russia had been allowed to compete we might not have come last.

Actually, maybe they should have been allowed to compete. Because if they then aired it in Russia maybe the message of them coming last and Ukraine coming first would have Sent a message outside of the propaganda that the Russian state media pushes.

But then… wound they have been so bold to have doctored the results? They’ve shown more brazenly false things than that before.

Anyway, I’m really looking forwards to Saturday. I have special Eurovision snacks.
Yeah I'm pretty certain Ukraine is going to win...it's a good song, I love the vocal harmony bits, not so keen on the rapping parts though. The UK song is a grower, there is a real disconnect between the vocalists voice (quite feminine and almost falsetto) and the fact he looks like a Poundland Thor.

Unfortunately my stupid cousin's birthday is on Saturday and even more stupid Morte agreed to go to her birthday bash not realising it coincided with the best night of the year...bugger.
All of these missed opportunities for a Eurovision birthday party
I liked Sweden’s song tonight. And Georgia, who were cosplaying as The Mighty Boosh.
I thought the Sweden entry had echoes of 'Shallow' about it. The announcers were a bit snippy about Estonia but it was a catchy crowd pleaser and I'm glad they went through, likewise Belgium.
Give that Wolf a banana. End of.
Mimi wrote:
All of these missed opportunities for a Eurovision birthday party

Actually, I'm giving one tomorrow... just hanging the flags as we speak!

My favs: Romania, Spain

oh and this story
https://twitter.com/noselenanocrime/sta ... 9698561026

Mimi wrote:
I have special Eurovision snacks.

Bucks Fizz and Wurst?

I feel like I want to know more.
Kern wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I have special Eurovision snacks.

Bucks Fizz and Wurst?

I feel like I want to know more.

You don’t. They’re just some Quorn cocktail sausages and veggie sausage rolls. Some tortilla chips to mix it up a bit.
Mimi wrote:
You don’t. They’re just some Quorn cocktail sausages and veggie sausage rolls. Some tortilla chips to mix it up a bit.

Douze Points!
Zardoz wrote:
Give that Wolf a banana. End of.

Obv.
Just skimmed through our live comments on last year's acts. Delightfully, this was my hot take on the song that got the trophy:

Kern wrote:
Italy

The Queen comeback tour is going well.
Having listened a bit more, I do like the UK entry for once. Good work, Essex Thor.
Just started the obligatory Father Ted viewing to get in the mood.
The triumphal EBU Ident and we're off!
Was that Ben Stiller?
Quite moving Give peace a chance/we will rock you mash up to start. Not so sure about this next bit mind
Yes, really quite moving and I loved the move from the square to the arena.
DavPaz wrote:
Was that Ben Stiller?

My son thought so too
Wow! The stage has a fountain!
Well this is an unnecessary addition to an already bloated event
I wondered what had happened to the 90s Intel dancers.
Malc wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Was that Ben Stiller?

My son thought so too

Ha! It was Mika!
Mika is a lot taller than I’d imagined. I thought he was a little pixie guy.
I did not know he was a polyglot
This is alright, bit Titaniumy
Czech : dogshit song, impressive construction on the corset
It’s terrible, and the singer is out of tune.
Czechia

Where are you now, Mumford and Sons? This is way better than your dirge.

A strong start. Great tune and lyrics. No fussy additions.

No statues were harmed in the performance.
Quite liked this one too. Not quite as good as CZE. Not sure about the crop tops!
Romania

Utterly forgettable.
Didn't realise Romania was in Spain
Romania is great fun, though probably some kind of cultural appropriation.
Why did they choose the worst one to be the lead singer?

Inoffensive massage music
Portugal

Absolutely lovely. Getting a bit teary.
Page 19 of 29 [ 1437 posts ]