Eurovision Song Contest
Laughing at forrins
MaliA wrote:
Cras wrote:
That's the US constitutional definition anyway. Do we even have a right to free speech in the UK? Don't think we do.

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/ ... expression

Excuse the brevity

It has an exception in order to "protect morals" so I'm going to say no, we don't.
Remember folks, the non-competive "let's see what they would have won" run through of Eurovision 2020 entries will be on BBC 1 at 20:00 tomorrow.

In the best BeeX tradition I'll probably sit in front of the telly with my laptop writing pithy reactions to each act, and then awarding a winner. All so we can totally confuse future us.
Yup. We’re watching it with friends and whatsapp too. It was so hyped here, first time in Nl in ages, every little thing was news. And then it was cancelled...
And with the glorious EBU ident, we're off!
Impressive opening shots of empty streets.
We were crying within about 20 seconds. It’s been very nicely done.

This is a brilliant choice of song to start with. Perfect, really.
Mimi wrote:
This is a brilliant choice of song to start with. Perfect, really.

This. Very moving opening.
Ok, Russia win.
The length of the snippets makes its hard to do a play by play. But I think Russia would have been in for a very early lead in every category.
Azerbaijan's video looked awesome. Would it have beaten Russia? We'll never know.
Right Said Fred moved to Lithuania.
Sweden has good voice.
Mimi wrote:
Sweden has good voice.

That would have been a joyous performance. Hope they return next year.
I was saying that to Russell. I hope that for the most part the performers get chance to perform next year.
Well, our song has an awfully awkward title.
I actually think the UK might have done well with that Newman song, and not just due to the splits.
I've only just realised that the graphics are showing the outline of each country.
Serbia win "Best Costume"
This is quite difficult to watch in parts. Beautiful, but tough.
Ok, I missed the introduction toon, but what IS that song they are singing on the carpeted staircase? I know it in Wnglish but can’t get the words in my head.
Ein Bisschen Frieden (A little peace) - Germany's 1982 entry
Mimi wrote:

Moldova's is called "Prison"
Netta's performace was stunning.
Kern wrote:
Ein Bisschen Frieden (A little peace) - Germany's 1982 entry

Ah!! It was released in English too, and when I googled it, it turns out that I knew it from school assemblies! Thanks, Kern!

:luv: Netta.
Kern wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Moldova's is called "Prison"

Yeah, but ‘My Last Breath’ :s
Ah, Bjorn :’)

The bit about his grandson :luv:
Well, genuine tears quite a few times through that. Graham Norton has a wobble, and that made me have a wobble.
Mimi wrote:
This is quite difficult to watch in parts. Beautiful, but tough.

This. Sums it up perfectly.
A very strange and subdued evening, but I found it strangely comforting. Woul dhave liked to hear more of the songs, but the usual Eurofrolics just wouldn't have been appropriate. Might check out some of the songs over the next few days.

Bjorn's message was really touching.

Normal service resumes this time next year.
Kern wrote:
I actually think the UK might have done well with that Newman song, and not just due to the splits.

But evey other country hates us. It doesn't matter how good our entry is, we won't get many votes. We have to accept that a good result would for us not to be in the bottom half.
Mimi wrote:
Ok, I missed the introduction toon, but what IS that song they are singing on the carpeted staircase? I know it in Wnglish but can’t get the words in my head.

Never have entered the Peace Palace.. (builde as sort of proto united nations building in the hague in 1909), lovely to see the inside..and fitting for the song
Kern wrote:
The length of the snippets makes its hard to do a play by play. But I think Russia would have been in for a very early lead in every category.

Here the consensus was that Iceland had the best chance
Iceland was my other favourite of the night.
Iceland clear winner for us too.

Plus the song is not only awesome, and has a cool dance, but it’s being sung to his tiny kid about how much he is looking forwards to hearing the young one talk, and is super cute.
Curiosity wrote:
Iceland clear winner for us too.

Plus the song is not only awesome, and has a cool dance, but it’s being sung to his tiny kid about how much he is looking forwards to hearing the young one talk, and is super cute.

All of this plus he's a real life giant!
EURO KLAXON.

Just a remember to get snacks for Saturday. :D
Snacks for saturday? We’ve beenmin eurovision mood for at least three weeks now! It’s in rotterdam remember..

Dutch entry will finish 23 rd btw.

Today semi’s. Malta!
Snacks for saturday? We’ve beenmin eurovision mood for at least three weeks now! It’s in rotterdam remember..

Today semi’s. Malta!
romanista wrote:

So they'll still beat Britain, right? :)
Final preparations!

I have a lot of good beer in the fridge, a large pack of salt and vinegar, and an emergency cheesecake if I need a perk during the interval.

Britain did well against Russia at the ice hockey today (they didn't lose by as much as they could have done), so here's hoping for at least a left-hand placing on the final table.
The EBU ident always gives me the shivers, and with that awesomeness over, let's start Eurovisioning!
Got my first beer since Easter, to enjoy the fun and nonsense
That stage looks like an evil Timelord's Tardis.
Bad romance vibes from Cyprus
Cyprus:

The Devil! The Devil!

Very clever lightning.
FLAMES! FIREY WRITING!

This is one hell of a strong start. Only thing I'm not convinced by is the lyrics.
Albania:

More red. More sexy silver negligles.

She seems dwarfed by the stage. Feels like there should be extra dancers for the swingy bits. But there's wind. Lots and lots of wind. Come on silvery dress, you know what you need to do.
Israel has Dua Lipa in her head
Israel:

Oooo... retro-futurey.

Sparks. Neon! Lots and lots of Neon.

Please, please, do your braces it. You'll hurt someone if you just let them dangle. One of the dancers has a hell of a distracting ginger tache.
Flames!
Careful, you'll set fire to yourself if you don't put those braces on.
Belgium is my early favourite
Belgium:

Guest starring Cerys Matthews.

Very pleasing, late-night jazz club staging.

I'm enjoying this. Think it needs a little more oomph on the chorusy bits - they need to bring out the lyrics and use the music to help emphasise the message. But, my favourite so far.
Malc wrote:
Belgium is my early favourite

Great minds!
Page 14 of 29 [ 1437 posts ]