Eurovision Song Contest
Laughing at forrins
Ian Fairies wrote:
Was just about to turn off Eurovision when twins came on...

... might just watch a bit longer. With mute on.

This amuses me:

vs

I genuinely love Estonia's entry from 2003:

Also, Lynsey de Paul :luv::

Haven't watched Eurovision in years, but I've just drawn the UK in the sweepstake at work. Do I have a chance?
devilman wrote:
Haven't watched Eurovision in years, but I've just drawn the UK in the sweepstake at work. Do I have a chance?

I refer the right honourable member to the following post

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7126&p=551888#p551888
If I was a gambling man (actually, I am), I'd put my money on Sweden. They've got some pretty boy doing some established Boy band nonsense and will garner tons of votes from 14 year old girls.

Having said that, I'll probably still bet on Jedward and that ridiculous Moldovan entry for shits and giggles.
The goatee bloke is Stephan Raab, the world's most famous German. Yes", he does looks like he could be Simon Pegg's long lost twin...
Some surprising things:

Thing the First: Blue were actually pretty good, Given their reception in the stadium, I'd be very very very surprised if we get hit with another sub 10 points effort.

Thing the Second: Italians doing jazz are brilliant. I'm voting for Italy.

Thing the Third: Actually, Moldova were fucking awesome. I've just voted for them instead.

Thing the Fourth: Are the ladies in Azerbaijan all so pretty?
Moldova Douze Points!

Nothing beats a unicycling fairy playing trumpet.

Blue were dreadful. I hated them.
Nirejhenge wrote:
Blue were dreadful. I hated them.

They're bound to do well, then.
MOLDOVA FTW!!!!

Germany were pretty good though. Still would her even with her new big hair.
Blimey, I forgot that Black Lace represented the UK in 1979:

7th. Which is still higher than Blue.
I quite like our 1983 entry in a Fame rip off kind of way:

Possibly features the only synchronised falling off of stools ever seen in Eurovision history.
I thought Blue were good. It was big and fun - started off a bit shakey, but once they got into it, it was fun! They wrote their own song, and I thought they did it well. The song cheered me up :)

We don't usually bother with even entering anything other than rubbish, but I thought they made an effort. Made 100 points + which though only mid table, is good considering everyone hates us.

I think we should be pruon of Blue.
Mimi wrote:
We don't usually bother with even entering anything other than rubbish,

Do not mock Sweet Dreams. They can do things with a stool Blue can only dream of.
Nirejhenge wrote:
MOLDOVA FTW!!!!

Germany were pretty good though. Still would her even with her new big hair.

Wasn't a bad bit of synth-pop, but more of an album track than a Eurovision entry. Bit too subtle for its own good as a song, really.

Moldova's act was the only memorable act for me, and that's more to do with the on-stage antics than the song. Bit of a meh Eurovision contest this year, IMO.
Anonymous X wrote:
Moldova's act was the only memorable act for me, and that's more to do with the on-stage antics than the song. Bit of a meh Eurovision contest this year, IMO.

Very true, but the voting was as close and exciting as I can remember. France were the red-hot favourites going in and they finished in the bottom half. Jedward were second favourites and were threatening to win at the half way point before they dropped off a bit. Even the UK were top of the leaderboard after four countries gave their votes.

Personally, I thought the winners were as bland as possible. Ukraine should have won for that incredible Mystic Meg / sand artist genius thing they had.
The voting was designed that way though, rather than have a draw to determine the order countries give their votes, this year it was decided to have a dynamic voting system. Basically, the national juries all did their voting on the Friday dress rehersals and using that they worked out the most likely order to create an exciting voting sequence.

It seemed to work very well, but doubtless it was helped by the fact it was quite a close contest anyway.
BrigBother wrote:
The voting was designed that way though, rather than have a draw to determine the order countries give their votes, this year it was decided to have a dynamic voting system. Basically, the national juries all did their voting on the Friday dress rehersals and using that they worked out the most likely order to create an exciting voting sequence.

It seemed to work very well, but doubtless it was helped by the fact it was quite a close contest anyway.

Errr... wasn't it all done by phone voting this year?
According to the BBC website, 50% of the vote comes from a panel of judges.
Trooper wrote:
BrigBother wrote:

Errr... wasn't it all done by phone voting this year?

No it's been 50% jury/televote since 2009 I think.
A week late but I thought I'd repost this. It's the audio from the production gallery of the 1977 Eurovision Contest hosted in the UK.

As you can hear the director is a calm and relaxed man who takes it all in his stride. Incedently although he sounds like a bastard the crews liked him and away from the pressure of the gallery he was said to be a lovely man. Indeed as soon as it's all over it's almost like someone flicks a switch and he's all nice.

I tried to do a poll earlier to see what would have been the Beex list of bestest Eurovision songs in Eurovision style voting but couldn't seem to get it to work. I doubt it would have interested more than 3 people anyway.
Well, well, it's that funny time of year when people turn on BBC1 to laugh at foreign people gyrating in bacofoil and then get Daily Mail angry when no-one votes for the UK for historical reasons. Inexplicably, the UK shall be represented by the legendary crooner, Englebert "I thought he died in the 90s" Humperdinck. There can be no doubt that his song will be a complete dirge, but fear not - silliness will no doubt be abound.

Ireland will again be providing fun in the form of the Jedwards, who entertained us with the following last year...

First Semi final will be on Tuesday, second Semi on Thursday and the main event will be on Saturday. Can't wait.
Yay Eurovision Semi Final 1 is on NOW.

Montenegro first up and I've found my fave, who can't help to love jazz funk bass and rapping from a greasy long haired fat middle aged bloke...I know I can't.
Latvia seemed to have sent the typing pool of a small distribution company.
Albania's a bit yelly. Also she has a ball of twine on her bonce.
Very shouty...I assumed it to be the cat stuck in her hair do trying to get out.
I shall also be changing my name to Rambo Amadeus in the morning.
Romania's Manjina is probably the most European things I've ever seen.
JESUS FUCKING GOD THAT MAN IS FUCKING ANNOYING!

"I kill puppies in the crowd!"
What in god's name is wrong with the Swiss blokes accent? It's like a really bad Billy Idol impression on the pub's kareoke.

...also With all that nazi gold you couldn't get better haircuts?
It's like Billy Idol and Bonio had a baby.
I don't know what a woldest dream is.
Is this a stalking song?
Belgium: Would You?

Nah love...wouldn't

Yep...these are some creepy lyrics.
If you're not following @johnshuttlewrth and @KenWorthingtn, you really should be.
Done and done.

Not interesting fact #1360: I once sat behind Sean Bean and his first wife at a John Shuttleworth gig at the Crucible.
:DD

Quote:
@KenWorthingtn she's like a woodland sprite, Ken.
Oh my fucking..... just....
Israel = GENIUS
The Social Network Song.....
Could a win by Greece completely bankrupt the nation?
Man, I wish there'd've been a texting song.
Pretty much so I would've thought.

Also, nicve to see that the San marino entry brought their dad out to be a backing singer.

...sorry did I hear that right "Powered by the Little Chef"?
Struggling to see the point of the Danish entry...please do better next time.

They also seem to be 'chemically' smiley.
The "drummer" is incredibly annoying.

I think they think by jumping around they add energy to the song.
Oh yes, now this is what we want...hot Russian girl group, phwoaaarr.
Right I'm off down to the bookies to get a tenner on the Russians.
Yeah, this abomination will win for sure.
Page 2 of 29 [ 1437 posts ]