Breaking Bad
NEW AWESOME TV SHOW!*
:luv:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
:luv:

I don't get it.
I was being nice. x
Working my way further through Season 2 (had to take a few nights off as AE Jnr WILL NOT GO TO SLEEP at a reasonable time), anyway, this is just so, so good.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It's almost painful at times, watching the arc of the characters, there are none of the main protagonists who I think of disposable, it's actually got me caring about all of them, so when I see things fucking up I'm properly on the edge of my seat, I want the 'Walt Family' to work out OK and for it all to finish up with a happy ending - and on top of that I'm really wanting Jesse to come out alright.

There was a moment in an episode where Skyler was beseeching Walt to tell the truth, and I was like TELL HER TELL HER JUST FUCKING TELL HER WHAT YOU'RE DOING IT'S GOT TO BE BETTER THAN THIS LIE WHICH IS GOING TO DESTROY YOU but he didn't. I understood why he didn't and it made sense, but it was still painful to watch.

Stellar show in every single regard, scripting, acting, setting, filming, the whole thing - it's damn near fucking perfect.
Great to hear that you're still loving it. :)

How about season 3 - do you have that on order or will you watch it on Netflix?
Four_Candles wrote:

Already ordered Seasons 3 and 4 boxsets from Amazon, should be here tomorrow :)
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
Stellar show in every single regard, scripting, acting, setting, filming, the whole thing - it's damn near fucking perfect.

Pfft, you've not even started yet if you're halfway through season two :)
Four_Candles wrote:

Already ordered Seasons 3 and 4 boxsets from Amazon, should be here tomorrow :)

Nice - you're all set then.

But don't forget season 5 ............ ;)
Zen-Chan wrote:

NO SPOILS PLEASE!!! But please just tell me that it maintains its quality through 3, 4 and what's out there of 5?

It's so sad when a TV series or film 'franchise' overstays its welcome for purely commercial gain, I see they're finishing at the end of Season 5, does that seem about right?
I've found it to be consistently enjoyable. The emphasis shifts somewhat and other elements have changed as the story has progressed but that's hardly surprising since it's TV and there's always an amount of adjusting things as they go. But yeah, it's probably displaced The Wire as being my all time favourite.
markg wrote:
But yeah, it's probably displaced The Wire as being my all time favourite.

I think this will happen to me, too (although I guess it depends on how the last 8 episodes play out... Right now it's neck-and-neck.)
I think it actually gets better. Certainly several of my favourite moments have been in series 5.

SAY MY NAME
When we went to see Looper last week, they showed an advert for the S4 DVD that reminded me of how amazing S4 was. And probably prompted the massive word-spew upthread.

I AM the one who knocks.
Zen-Chan wrote:

NO SPOILS PLEASE!!! But please just tell me that it maintains its quality through 3, 4 and what's out there of 5?

It's so sad when a TV series or film 'franchise' overstays its welcome for purely commercial gain, I see they're finishing at the end of Season 5, does that seem about right?

Yes, Yes, and Yes. :D

Oh, and Yes. :)
Blimey, some episodes are unremittingly grim, aren't they?

(Peekaboo - where Jesse goes to the house of the deadbeats who robbed Skinny Pete. I was really, really willing him to just shoot the fuckers. Also, I did feel that Walt was a bit of an asshole in that episode. I can well imagine him and Skyler not staying together for an awful lot longer. I'm not even convinced he'll be around for the birth of his child.)
Up to S1e5 now. Loving it.
Blimey, some episodes are unremittingly grim, aren't they?

(Peekaboo - where Jesse goes to the house of the deadbeats who robbed Skinny Pete. I was really, really willing him to just shoot the fuckers. Also, I did feel that Walt was a bit of an asshole in that episode. I can well imagine him and Skyler not staying together for an awful lot longer. I'm not even convinced he'll be around for the birth of his child.)

Yeah, that was a pretty grim episode - you couldn't help but feel heartbroken for their poor kid. Sad thing is that such family situations are all too real - it put a humbling perspective on the destruction caused by crystal meth, and managed to do so without being preachy.
Just noticed that Season 5 is coming to Netflix UK and US on November 1st:

http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/10/16/ ... ovember-1/
Just watched the Season 2 episode 'Better Call Saul'.

Possibly one of the sharpest, best episodes yet, some proper laughs in there and almost had me aghast at the sheer audacity of it all.

Have to say I've found the last two episodes a little bit of a downer, so this was a nice change of pace.

Saul himself is just a genius character, I hope he's not a one episode wonder, certainly the end of the episode suggests he'll be around for a bit.
Saul is around. For a long time. Don't worry. I love him too
nickachu wrote:

Excellent news.

He comes across as a real 'evil genius' sort of type, I'm genuinely relishing finding out how him and Walt get along......

A brilliantly written character though, and played absolutely pitch-perfect by whoever the actor dude is who does the part.
nickachu wrote:

Excellent news.

He comes across as a real 'evil genius' sort of type, I'm genuinely relishing finding out how him and Walt get along......

A brilliantly written character though, and played absolutely pitch-perfect by whoever the actor dude is who does the part.

Bob Odenkirk
Four_Candles wrote:

Bob Odenkirk

Yes!
Check out 'Mr Show with Bob and David'

The guy's a genius, and David Cross ain't too shabby either.
Finished Season 2 now.

It did have a bit of a lull for me around Episodes 6 and 7, which were a bit down and I felt didn't add much to the story in a lot of ways. Peekaboo was a good episode of a TV programme, but not a great episode of Breaking Bad IMO, I didn't really need a 'meth is bad mmmm'kay' episode, which is all it seemed to be.

It all got much better from then on in, Better Call Saul and the last three episodes of the Season in particular were superb.

HOWEVER, I couldn't help but feel a teeny bit cheated that the eyeball and fluffy toy in the swimming pool and the evidence/crime scene outside Walt's house were the result of a plane crash (given that the Season opens up with that imagery). Yes I get that it was caused by Jane's dad losing it at air traffic control and that's a result of Walt's actions if you trace it back far enough. Just seemed a bit contrived for my taste.

The Jesse/Jane thing worked a lot better, Walt letting Jane die was a horrible thing to do, but I can see why he did it (she threatened him and therefore threatened his family). Walt is clearly still human as he can see what he's done to Jesse, if anything you get the feeling that Walt thinks he owes Jesse now.

And as for the 'Which cellphone' line as Walt was going under with the meds before surgery, it was pretty obvious Skyler would want out after that.

Really looking forward to making a start on Season 3.
The pre-title opening to Season 3 is a wonderful introduction to the previously unseen widespread reach that Walter's actions are having. Trouble is coming his way from far beyond Albuquerque.
First episode of Season 3.

Oooohhhh it's just so so good.

I have so many, seriously, SO FUCKING MANY series boxsets I've bought over the years and/or obtained a Grim... style 'extended demo' of such boxsets, and I never get to the end of them, or in some cases, get much past started on them.

Breaking Bad has absolutely grabbed me though, my only concern is it ending at Season 4 and having to wait for the Season 5 boxset to become available.

I don't resent one single penny of what the boxsets of Breaking Bad have cost me - my old rule still applies, always pay for the good stuff.
Breaking Bad has absolutely grabbed me though, my only concern is it ending at Season 4 and having to wait for the Season 5 boxset to become available.

Why wait? Season 5 will be on Netflix in a few days. :)

It's worth subscribing for. :)
Four_Candles wrote:

I'll want the Season 5 boxset anyway, since I've got the other four, so I'll just be patient and hang on :) (It is a fucking long time to wait though, what kind of insanity splits a programme season across such a protracted timeframe?)
Four_Candles wrote:

I'll want the Season 5 boxset anyway, since I've got the other four, so I'll just be patient and hang on :) (It is a fucking long time to wait though, what kind of insanity splits a programme season across such a protracted timeframe?)

Why don't you use the free month of Netflix trial, cancel it after you've watched breaking bad then buy it when it's out?
Runcle wrote:
Why don't you use the free month of Netflix trial, cancel it after you've watched breaking bad then buy it when it's out?

Well it doesn't solve the problem of the second half of Season 5 not being broadcast until the middle of next year, so if I'm waiting that long I may as well just get the boxset when it's released.

I dunno, I'll see how I feel when I get to the end of Season 4, if I'm especially compelled to watch the first half of Season 5 and then wait months for the second half, I may do the Netflix thing.
If you don't feel the urge to watch season 5 (first half) straight after season 4, then I'll be VERY surprised. :)

Besides, why wait for season 5? If you do postpone it then you'll have to be extremely careful about spoilers until the box set is released. :)
Apologies for my plodding pace with this (eight year old daughter thinks 11pm is a good time to go to sleep), but only managed Season 3 Episode 2 this evening.

But it's just so breathtakingly good - the places it dares to go to. Maybe I've missed a load of programmes over the years that do what Breaking Bad does, but nothing's caught my interest like this for a loooooong time.

I so often get the feeling with films, let alone entire series, to just think 'yeah show me what happens at the end, you're boring me now', Breaking Bad I want to see every last frame of. It's practically story-telling at a Scorsese level, when he was at his best.

Truly compelling stuff.
There's no apologies needed, your watching it in your own possible free time and I bet you re-enacting points of the series is bringing great memories for other viewers, as it did to me when I've read back.

In your comparison with films and TV series, I believe some TV series have really outdone the best of films in series such as Breaking Bad, The Sopranos and The wire, mainly because of such great production and time length to develop stories and characters. I could go much more into detail and I would have if I wasn't half cut, I've spell checked this 3 times already, well Google chrome has, anyway, go at your ends with this series, there doesn't seem like another world beater going at the minute.
Runcle wrote:
I believe some TV series have really outdone the best of films in series such as Breaking Bad, The Sopranos and The wire, mainly because of such great production and time length to develop stories and characters

Absolutely this. And for my money I think Breaking Bad is going to outrank them all.
I'm slower than AE on this, as I have just finished watching Season 1

Malc
Reasonably interesting interview with Cranston in the Guardian today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... -interview
Finished series one. it's brilliant.
Should I watch this or The Sopranos next, TV fans?
Grim... wrote:

Watch the Sopranos and report back for me, please.
Grim... wrote:

They're both good but Breaking Bad is better. I thought The Sopranos lost its way a bit.
markg wrote:
Grim... wrote:

They're both good but Breaking Bad is better. I thought The Sopranos lost its way a bit.

I'd also say go for Breaking Bad first - it's just great all the way though. :D
Do I watch the pilot?
As far as I can tell the pilot is just S1E1 so yes, definitely. Unless there is some other pilot episode out there :shrug:
As you say, S1E1 IS the 'pilot' for Breaking Bad, so yes, it must be watched. :)
I watched it.

Pilots are tricky - with things like this and Firefly they need to be watched, but things like Two and a Half Men had different characters and actors in, and Dollhouse had not much to do with the actual story and actually had spoilers in for quite late into the series :S
CENSORSHIP ALERT!

Season 3, Episode 3 - Skyler telling Walt 'I fucked Ted' is missing the word 'fucked', completely dubbed out to silence, even though the subtitles read 'I fucked Ted'. IT'S A FUCKING CERTIFICATE 15 DVD, EARLIER ON IN THE SAME EPISODE I SAW A MAN GET HIS FUCKING HEAD CHOPPED OFF.

Yes I know it doesn't really matter, but how fucking stupid.

Grrrrrr.

I can only assume it's pre-censored or some sort of fucking American fucking television version, which has simply been submitted to the BBFC as-is.

This does not detract from the overall brilliance of the show and particularly just how fucking good the last couple of episodes have been, but seriously, THOSE THREE WORDS ARE THE ENTIRE POINT OF SKYLER'S REBUTTAL TO WALT AND THEY FUCKING CENSORED ONE OF THEM OUT.

Fucking puritanical motherfuckers.
So, I've watched the first, um... Three.

Er - when does it get good?
CENSORSHIP ALERT!

Season 3, Episode 3 - Skyler telling Walt 'I fucked Ted' is missing the word 'fucked', completely dubbed out to silence, even though the subtitles read 'I fucked Ted'. IT'S A FUCKING CERTIFICATE 15 DVD, EARLIER ON IN THE SAME EPISODE I SAW A MAN GET HIS FUCKING HEAD CHOPPED OFF.

Hmmm, the word is present and correct on my Region A Blu-ray set. :)
Page 3 of 11 [ 526 posts ]