This forum
Likewise—isn't showing on Firefox/Mac.
I consider this move unnecessary as the invision forum was perfectly adequate. Still I have been FORCED to sign up for this one against my will. Obviously.
I think the last one was indeed adequate, but it's nice being able to lose some of the sillier threads at the beginning and start afresh. It's nice to have a proper URL as well, but that's only because I like that sort of thing, and it's such a nice, friendly name, I feel quite welcome here.
I miss the blue. I visit two forums, one's grey and the other's blue. If they're both grey, I don't know what I'll do. :(

S'pose I should return to my original member title...
Pod wrote:
Does your mouse not have a middle button? If not, use the ctrl-key when clicking links.

I have used web browsers for over a decade. I can count the number of times that I've middle clicked on a link on the fingers of my RSI-ed hand.
I miss the blue, too, to be honest, but maybe they'll get some user-selected themes up here once Grim... and the lads have sorted out any more important issues.
gravy wrote:
Now I =know= I did say you need to be prepared to ignore all of the whinging when swapping forum software but is there any chance you can re-enable the prosilver theme? No need to make make it the default theme or anything but it'd be nice to have the option to skip thus subsilver2 much ;) :D

Because of lots of people wanting lots of different things this forum will only (currently) work with SubSilver. I'll work on other themes when I get a chance.
Is this prosilver?

Why is it called prosilver when it's not silver, and not particularly pro?
S'GHASTLY, I SAY.
Plissken wrote:
Pod wrote:
Does your mouse not have a middle button? If not, use the ctrl-key when clicking links.

I have used web browsers for over a decade. I can count the number of times that I've middle clicked on a link on the fingers of my RSI-ed hand.

Get a track-ball or use the ctrl key then! Links opening in new tabs by default is completely counter-intuitive!
I like this frrmmm how it is Grim... don't listen to the whingers :P Can I has pat on head?
The name is too long as well. Grr. Moan. Complain. Grumble.
Grim... wrote:
gravy wrote:
Now I =know= I did say you need to be prepared to ignore all of the whinging when swapping forum software but is there any chance you can re-enable the prosilver theme? No need to make make it the default theme or anything but it'd be nice to have the option to skip thus subsilver2 much ;) :D

Because of lots of people wanting lots of different things this forum will only (currently) work with SubSilver. I'll work on other themes when I get a chance.

No probs man :)
"This telephone isn't exactly the same as my old telephone. I shall never speak to you again, BYE!"
Dimrill wrote:
"This telephone isn't exactly the same as my old telephone. I shall never speak to you again, BYE!"

Bahahaha!
Pod wrote:
Links opening in new tabs by default is completely counter-intuitive!
This.
Can anyone else now not read the 2nd page of the wrestling thread?
Yeah it appears to be b0rked. I, for one, am glad.
Dimrill wrote:
Can anyone else now not read the 2nd page of the wrestling thread?

Blank page here.
A vast expanse of white greets me upon attempting to read it.
I think I broked it :cry:
Indeed I just tried accessing it and.. nothing.
Pod wrote:
Get a track-ball or use the ctrl key then! Links opening in new tabs by default is completely counter-intuitive!

I know. But I like having links posted in threads opening new tabs, so I can stay in the thread and comment.
Grim... wrote:
Pod wrote:
This.

Just not true. If you browse links from a forum, they are almost always side things, and you always want to go back to the forum afterwards. New tab is exactly what you want. Phules.
I think I fixed it! :D The Wrestling Thread, I mean.

um, I think Spoiler tags kinda break the Forum, Grim...
romanista wrote:
i think we are in need of an online gaming subforum.. so many threads going on about this..

Mm. This, or something like it. I'm all for 'em, but as more and more decent online games come out, and people discover older ones now reduced in price, it's just going to get messier. Unless XBL suddenly becomes poo, which I doubt.
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
They didn't when we tested them before.
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Pod wrote:
This.

Just not true. If you browse links from a forum, they are almost always side things, and you always want to go back to the forum afterwards. New tab is exactly what you want. Phules.

Unless a link has some kind of "offsite" icon on it most people won't expect it to open a new thing. A left click should follow a link in the same window unless it's clearly marked. I don't think years worth of 'web standards' should be broken because one person can't be arsed to use his tab functions properly. Here's something interesting; what happens if I wasn't using a tabbed browser? Imagine how annoying it would be to have a billion windows open. Or even worse if I'm on a cmd-client or something? I see no point in it. None at all.
'Web Standards' can fuck right off.
Plissken wrote:
I know. But I like having links posted in threads opening new tabs, so I can stay in the thread and comment.

Either right-click > Open in New Window or Ctrl-click the link (or Command-click if you're using a Mac).
Or just click it with the middle button of your mouse in Firefox to open it in a new tab.
Dimrill wrote:
Or just click it with the middle button of your mouse in Firefox to open it in a new tab.

Works for Safari too.
People get used to forum software opening links in new windows. I just use the 'right-click>open in new tab' option although I might try and reprogram myself to middle-click.
I pretty much middle click everything anyway.
Pod wrote:

Moi aussi.

Non-middle-clicking is for fools.
I did suggest an online gaming section (along with a naff title) while playing burnout/halo/something last week

I still think it's a sensible idea.
Curiosity wrote:
Pod wrote:

Moi aussi.

Non-middle-clicking is for fools.

I don't have a middle button on my mouse.

Actually, I don't have a mouse (or I do, but I have no idea where it is).
Is this your computer?

Oh look! I want this

If I had any money, that's where it would be going
ImageImageImage
No, but have a macbook with a trackpad. I do own a mouse, it has just 'gone the way of the biscuit'.
Is that like the Way of the Samurai, but crumblier?
I actually find I have to replace mice quite often because I wear out the middle mouse button before anything else on the mouse goes, due to all the middle clicking I do - I use both Opera and Firefox and middle click practically everything. My style of forum reading involves going to the front page, and middle clicking down the list of topics then reading each tab individually and I'd cry if if I had to do it any other way.
This thread has made me realise that I should should left click to open in a new tab rather than use a tiny scroll wheel as my main mouse button.
Given how many other usability problems web forums tend to have, I don't mind the "links open in new window" features.

Just as an example: the tickboxes on the "post reply" page don't respond to clicks on their labels.
Pundabaya wrote:

:roll:
Why, what's she done?
Grim... wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:

:roll:

If 'left click=open in same window' was a web standard, the target attribute wouldn't exist.
Craster wrote:
If 'left click=open in same window' was a web standard, the target attribute wouldn't exist.

The target attribute that's deprecated and marked for deletion from the specs.
I will not debate HTML with people who know what they're talking about.
Craster wrote:

Y'see now, what you should have done there is:

for ($i = 0; $i <= 4; $i++) {
print "I will not debate HTML with people who know what they're talking about.<br />";
}

Much less effort :D
C-style for-loops? Shame!
Code:
for (1..4) {
    print "I will not debate HTML with people who know what they're talking about.<br />";
}

surely.
Page 2 of 4 [ 155 posts ]