Game Of Thrones (TV)
Spoilers after the 9pm show!
MaliA wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Going back to talking about the show

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
How friggin' convenient is it that Arya Stark happened to coincidentally rescue some sort of ultimate badass ninja assassin who was just slightly insufficiently badass to have been captured in the first place?
(Spoilers to S03E08)

I like to think it's
her sword teacher

I also had this theory, but I think the show's put a stop to that. If it _was_ the truth, I might have expected them to reuse the Syrio actor in a different wig or something.

ALSO: We didn't get to see him change his face by doing that stage magician trick of sliding your hand down your face and turning a frown into a smile, giving Arya the coin, or Arya throw soup everywhere :'(

DR.G: He was captured by the guard in Kings Landing and had been in the dungeons a while, so who knows when he was captured and by how many guards? :) Especially as he was in the ultra-dungeon, or whatever it was called, as Ned gave Yoren access to it.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Game of Thrones, bitch
Game of Thrones, bitch
Game of Thrones, bitch
GAME OF THRONES, BITCH

(Spoilers for end of season 1)

Warning: once you listen to this, you will probably never not hear this when watching the show.

As an antidote to that... try this:

Or, if you don't like the three kids doing their singing, how about the most badass kid looking a bit silly whilst dancing in the middle of a pedestrianised shopping area? For some reason.
The latest episode of Game of Thrones is so fucking epic that if you haven't seen it, you should induce spontaneous illness at work so you can go home and watch it, immediately.

Fuck me.
ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
The latest episode of Game of Thrones is so fucking epic that if you haven't seen it, you should induce spontaneous illness at work so you can go home and watch it, immediately.

Fuck me.

Is that the one that is going to be on tonight?
Buggered if I know, I download it and I don't know if UK airings keeping up with U.S.

2x09, anyway.
Yes. UK airings are about 18 hours behind the US.

This week's episode was directed by Neil Marshall, who did Dog Soldiers and The Descent.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
This week's episode was directed by Neil Marshall, who did Dog Soldiers and The Descent.

/meerkats
...and written by George RR Martin, iirc.
GovernmentYard wrote:

Is he a famous writer?

"Yeah, he wrote the Wild Cards series - funny people"
True enough episode 9 was quite decent.
Grim... wrote:
GovernmentYard wrote:

Is he a famous writer?

He wrote (and is still writing) the books that Game of Thrones is an adaptation of.
That was pretty Epic!

Malc
God damn it I need to read the second book so I can catch up on this.
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:
GovernmentYard wrote:

Is he a famous writer?

He wrote (and is still writing) the books that Game of Thrones is an adaptation of.

I... I what...

Are there stampy boots big enough? I even put in the line about the other books... I mean...
See, I figured I was risking it, but I figured if it wasn't, it's kinda rude to leave the question unanswered.
Slightly extended episode for the final episode next week, around 10 minutes extra from the reports.
Stannis in the TV show : Warrior Hero who is first into every breach.
Stannis in the books: Not this.

Apart from that, episode 9 was quite good. Well, except for the bit
where Tyrion and co jump out of the sewers and chop up some enemies. There's only about 10 people for them to attack, by the looks of it. It didn't feel very threatening. The earlier scenes looks more 'packed'. And then the ram suddenly ignites -- what did they make it out of, petrol?

In general the shows feel really rushed, and they're already chopping huge amounts out of it. But that's my impression as someone who read-ed the books. What do people who HAVN'T read the books think? Does the show feel like it's going to fast? can you keep up? I can't imagine you can remember who all the characters are. I hardly can and I only read the last one 6 months ago.
Pod wrote:
In general the shows feel really rushed, and they're already chopping huge amounts out of it. But that's my impression as someone who read-ed the books. What do people who HAVN'T read the books think? Does the show feel like it's going to fast? can you keep up? I can't imagine you can remember who all the characters are. I hardly can and I only read the last one 6 months ago.
I haven't read the books and I don't feel that way. Occasionally when some random character appears from some far-flung episode ago (without a "Previously on..." hint), I get lost and have to look at a recap later to remind myself who it was (I belmingly failed to recognise

Remly

this week.) But it's no worse than, say, The Sopranos. Probably a bit easier even.

Can you make stuff from frozen petrol? It might explain how every car in 70s TV shows that crashes off a ravine immediately bursts into flames.

My bugbear with this week's episode was;

King's Landing, that has never been taken in siege! Defended by a, uhh, wooden door and a fairly short wall. And apparently riddled with hidden tunnels that, uhh, probably work both ways.

Also: there are enemies! Let us immediately sortie out from behind our defences and meet them on the open beach, because that's much more likely to work than pouring boiling oil over them from behind our fairly short wall.

And: The Mud Gate! That's where they'll attack. Let's certainly not spend the next week before they land bricking it up or anything. That would be unsporting.
I'm really enjoying Tyrion's clearly growing frustration with, well, pretty much everybody. His taking on of mantles has been very well done, and well acted.
Tyrion is the best character of the show, and the actor does it fantastically. By comparison I find the Queen very dull.
They really need to hire more extras for the fight scenes.

Also, @the Doc
are you *sure* it was Renly?
Oh, yeah, it was

Loras Tyrrell, wearing Renly's armour, of course.

This from gameofthrones.wikia.com, which is mostly only about the TV show and not the books and hence spoiler-free if you're up to date with the show and avoid the clearly marked "in the books" sections. Handy.

On that note, why did:

Ser Mandon Moore suddenly turn on Tyrion? Was there some foreshadowing or setup for that I missed?
ETA: Ignore me, Davpaz got there before me.
Just jumping in here, but I find Tower of the Hand to be the best Ice and Fire Wiki by far. They have a really cool feature (called "Scope") that allows you to check a box next to each book you've read/season you've watched, and the site only displays spoilerific information up to and including that book/season. Quite brilliant!
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Ser Mandon Moore suddenly turn on Tyrion? Was there some foreshadowing or setup for that I missed?

I wondered about this as well, it was totally out of the blue as far as I could see.
Kingsguard = Queensguard, remember
DavPaz wrote:
Kingsguard = Queensguard, remember

Cersei thinks she's already got Tyrion by the balls as she's got (what she thinks is) his girlfriend captive, I wouldn't have thought she'd go as far as actually trying to have him killed. I suppose she might just have seen the opportunity of the battle and went for it though.
ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Tyrion is the best character of the show, and the actor does it fantastically.

This is why:

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
King's Landing, that has never been taken in siege! Defended by a, uhh, wooden door and a fairly short wall. And apparently riddled with hidden tunnels that, uhh, probably work both ways.

Also: there are enemies! Let us immediately sortie out from behind our defences and meet them on the open beach, because that's much more likely to work than pouring boiling oil over them from behind our fairly short wall.

And: The Mud Gate! That's where they'll attack. Let's certainly not spend the next week before they land bricking it up or anything. That would be unsporting.

In the books they did spend a week or so on preparation, doing exactly that sort of thing. The "mud gate" wasn't really a "proper" gate, but the hole in the wall with bits of wood infront of it that the poor scum who lived by the docklands used. So they sent Bronn to burn down all the shacks and clear out the ghetto that had built up around there, to stop enemy soldiers being able to climb up them or set fire to them, etc.

Also, they had a massive chain across the river that they hoisted up shortly before all the explosions began, blocking in the fleet. And then they continued to pour wildfire onto the invaders and catapulted it at the ships. I imagine the TV show didn't depict this because it'd be insanely expensive.

As WTB says, check out TowerOfTheHand for spoiler-free info. It's such a cool feature.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
On that note, why did:

It's a bona-fide mystery that's never solved. Main opinions are: Cercsei paid/told him. Joffery told/paid him. Varys told/paid him. Littlefinger told/paid him (this one I only read today, which is interesting and requires knowledge of the Littlefinger and Vale/Arryn backstory). He just didn't like Tyrion and thought he could get a cheap shot in there and murder him. Choose one :)

edit: linked to a reddit thread with the LF theory, but then realised the conversation spoiled some major events later one.

erkajihadHeh 3 points 6 hours ago
Tyrion has been a thorn in Littlefinger's side for a while. LF could have accused anyone with the dagger, yet he chose Tyrion. Mandon Moore is from the vale and came to Kings Landing along with Jon Arryn, just like LF.

You'll need to wait about 3 TV shows before you can read the rest :P
Zombie Army :DD

Coolio

Even Queen Whingey was cracking in the episode.
I think the Queen has been excellent. Her role is as someone who is spectacularly frustrated with the world for treating her differently to her brother. Her talks with Sansa about her upbringing and then her scene with her son were both really good.

Series two was fun. Can't wait for the third. I figure they can either:

1) Split the third book into two series, like they split it into two paperbacks
2) Make the series longer (10 episodes? WTF?)
3) Butcher it to hell and back

In other news, my favourite characters:

French assassin dude
Arya
Tyrion
Jamie
Cersei
Tywin
Varys

Least favourites:

Bran
E9/10 spoiler question

What happened to Winterfell? Theon's men were inside the camp, and there was a Stark army outside. Theon's men knock him out, and decide to fuck off quietly. Next thing, the army outside the gate has vanished, Winterfell's on fire, and everyone except Bran & co is dead?
Also

One minute Stannis is on the walls of King's Landing, about to be overwhelmed and captured, then the next minute he's free and safe back home throttling his witch. WTF?

A properly brilliant show, but it really feels like they left some pretty important stuff on the cutting room floor.
Yeah I wondered about that too, properly felt as though I must have missed some of it somehow.
Favourite characters:

Tyrion
All of the ones with tits.
I mentioned both of those things to the wife while watching.

Anyone who has read the books recently care to shed any light? Especially on the first one; it makes no sense no matter how you slice it.
Apparently:

The 500 men surrounding Winterfell were men belonging to Ramsay Snow, Roose Bolton's son, the bastard of Bolton. While they are northmen, the Bastard takes it upon himself to burn Winterfell. In the books you're confused about this as well, as his father remains with Robb down south and is seemingly loyal, but you learn more as Storm of Swords progresses as to why this happened.
Is there a lot of focus on shagging in the books?

HBO have added a fair bit to the TV show but they always do that with their shows these days.
BOOK 'SPOILERS'/BACKGROUND INFO RELEVANT TO YOUR QUESTIONS RE:THE TV SERIES.

Stannis escaping:
A) Stannis never 'led' any attack in the show. He just stayed on his boat and commanded like the commander he is, letting his loyal men get on with the assaut. His boat happened to be at the back of the pack so it didn't explode in any of the bomb-boats, nor get catapulted etc, nor get trapped by Tyrion's mega-chain[1]. So after the attack failed and Lannister reinforcements arrived he + the ragtag survivers are free to just sail off. The show essentially wrote him into a stupid position by making him be first up the ladder with no helmet or shield and then didn't explain how he got free. Stannis in the books is not the kind of man to risk everything leading a charge. He could easily have been rock-to-face'd or arrow'd-to-death. What use is the attack if the king you're trying to put on the throne is dead? He's also not the kind of man to choke a bitch, as he did in the last episode, at least not in my opinion. Both are interesting additions in the TV series.

In the books the Witch blames their lost on the fact that she wasn't at the battle, after Stannis and Davos decide to leave her on Dragonstone. Mostly because the people of Kings Landing might not be so receptive to a foreign sorcororor.

Spoiler if you've not seen past episode 7 or something.
(spoilered because I realise some people might think Brann dead. If you're reading this and you think he is dead, then I guess it was actually episode 6.. :P)
Brann is safe as they're hidden in the crypts that are very deep, dark and basically no one goes down, so most people don't realise they're there. Theon probably knew they were there as he grew up in Winterfell, but random invaders probably wouldn't. The entrance is near a crumbling tower (the one Brann was pushed off in episode 1), so it's not the kind of area pillagers would go looking for.

Some background that may or may not even come up in season 3, depending on how they do it. Other than telling you the personality of the Winterfell siegers, I don't think it spoils anything if you've seen the show. But it does answer/spoil the question of "who torched Winterfell"? So don't read if you don't want to know that one tiny detail that will most likely be revelaed in the first 10 minutes of S03E01.

b) Winterfell: Ramsay Bolton (The legitimised bastard Reese Bolton continually refers to in each episode) is basically a nut job. Probably because he's a bastard born of rape who was raised in a mill and never had a real daddy, etc. Anyway, he hears that some local lords died in the war, so he got some of his farthers men together and went on a random rape+pillage of their own lands for fun. Rodrick Cassel, the barrel-chested mutton chop guy in the show, was in charge of Winterfell whilst Robb was away, so he takes some winterfell men out and kicks his ass. I can't remember if that's in the TV show or not? I remember Rodrick leading some men in the TV show though, but that was probably just against Ironborn? Anyway, Ramsay avoids death from Rodrick's men by swapping clothes with his best-mate, a smelly peasent man-servent called 'Reek'. Rodrick kills the fake 'Ramsay' in the field and imprisons Reek + others in the Winterfell dungeons. He then goes off to fight other random Ironborn people, as by this time he's heard of their attacks.

Whilst Rocrick is away fighting the Ironborn invaders, Theon+Ironborn come and take Winterfell and they let out the prisoners and ask them to join them, or maybe Reek convinces them because he's a slimy git? No idea. But either way Theon+co (and also the reader) have no idea he's Ramsay Bolton at this point. Anyway, fake-Reek joins their possee and generally be's evil. He's the one who has the idea of stringing up the miller's boys when they can't find Brann and he mutilates the bodies because he's a psycho and to help make the bodies ambiguous.

Then Rodrick Cassal returns, finds Winterfell under Theon's hands, and starts sieging it to take it back. Hopelessly outnumbered, fake-Reek convinces Theon that, because he used to be a Dreadfort soldier, he can probably go and round up some soliders and attack the rear. So he escapes off on a horse and does that. When he comes back he's dressed like a proper Dreadfort soldier with lots of Dreadfort men flying the Dreadfort banner, whom Rodrik believes are friendly as Roose Bolton is with Robb etc. They technically should be friendly, but these aren't really Dreadfort soldiers, they're Ramsay's psycho crew borring a bit of Daddy's uniforms. So fake-Reek just stabs Rodrik in the face when he's greeting them and his dreadfort men kill all the Winterfell men who are sieging Winterfell. They probably wee on the bodies or somethinga afterwards.

I'll end there as any further events won't be seen until Season3.

TL;DR: Reek/Ramsay, the bastard-born person who is sieging Winterfell in the TV show, is a bit of a psycho, and when they finally get into Winterfell they torch and rape the place because they're all mad and like a bit of rape and pillaging and so on.

I guess they left out any explaination of who did the torching to make you tune in to Season 3 to find out if Ironborn or the Siegers did it. But given the absoulte lack of information given in the show it's just plain confusing rather than tantilising.

[1] Tyrion's mega-chain (absent from the show), but they basically built a giant chain across the mouth of the bay, rested it on the sea-bed, then raised it up as they sent the first bomb boats out, trapping lots of ships inside the mega-death arena.)

edit: added spoiler tag around some episode 7+ stuff?
asfish wrote:
Is there a lot of focus on shagging in the books?

HBO have added a fair bit to the TV show but they always do that with their shows these days.

Ish. It's mostly just "and they start to bone" with a book-style fade out/end of chapter. Infact in the first 2 books there's very little of that anyway, except for the stroke-by-stroke description of Theon sexing the girl on the boat. The only other descrptions of sex I can think are much later in the book, and one of them is a lesbian sex scene, which makes me think it was just shoehorned in because he was feeling a bit randy.

There's no where near as much boob showage as in the show.
Ps, I don't remember it being in the show, but Theon's sister arrives at his request, but thinks he's nuts to try and hold Winterfell and so buggers off with her forces. I remember her arriving in the show but not leaving.
I think they're being quite clever with the perspective thing. Earlier in the series I was bemoaning the loss of the the viewpoint character system that the books employ in the move to the screen, but as it turns out, they are actually using it. Hence, we don't know what happened to Winterfell as the 2 viewpoint characters (Theon and Bran) didn't witness it.

They really need more extras though.
Pod wrote:
Ps, I don't remember it being in the show, but Theon's sister arrives at his request, but thinks he's nuts to try and hold Winterfell and so buggers off with her forces. I remember her arriving in the show but not leaving.

Yes, same here. I realise it's a tricky thing to turn into a TV show, but the last couple of episodes have some glaring holes in them.
DavPaz wrote:
Hence, we don't know what happened to Winterfell as the 2 viewpoint characters (Theon and Bran) didn't witness it.
The problem is the viewer is left to wonder if they missed some important piece of exposition. It's a jostling, busy plot, with many characters dropped back in without any reminder about who they are -- so when the show tries to confuse on purpose (oh my, who burned Winterfell...? Where did Theon's sister go? Why did blokey try to kill Tyrion?) for dramatic reasons, it mostly just makes me think I've forgotten some vital detail I was supposed to know that would make sense of what I just saw. Which means I'm experiencing mild concerns that I'm stupid, rather than the suspense I was presumably supposed to be feeling.
I agree. I'm watching the show with MrsPaz who in places has been completely mystified by a turn of events having not read the books. I have to fill her in with the details.
Craster wrote:
Pod wrote:

Yes, same here. I realise it's a tricky thing to turn into a TV show, but the last couple of episodes have some glaring holes in them.

She did leave on the TV show. She told him he was ordered home by his father, and when he refused to go home she told him she didn't want him to die, and he should follow her.
Curiosity wrote:
Craster wrote:
Pod wrote:

She did leave on the TV show. She told him he was ordered home by his father, and when he refused to go home she told him she didn't want him to die, and he should follow her.

A lot of infomation in a little screen time basically means every line of dialogue is important, so woe to those who miss a single one. (As I obviously did for this Theon's sister leaving).
I remember her saying he should leave, I just don't remember her actually going.
Craster wrote:
I remember her saying he should leave, I just don't remember her actually going.

She said it and then walked out. That's about all the screen time it got.

Maybe they should make more than 10 episodes for the series?
Page 6 of 46 [ 2266 posts ]