Game Of Thrones (TV)
Spoilers after the 9pm show!

Has this been posted already? It's rather cool. Spoilers for season / book one.
Man, that's awesome. (I stopped watching when I got to where I'm up to.) I want it to exist as a real game!
Has anyone been watching the "Thronecast" thing that's on Sky? I tried watching one the other day, as it looked quite interesting - kinda of like a DVD extra! Interviews! Behind the scenes! Insights and explanations! - but turned it off after five minutes of awful "jokes" and nothing else. Is it worth labouring on with, and does that dick shut up with his sub-sixth-form "stand up" and actually talk about interesting stuff?
I approve of the Ygritte casting

DavPaz wrote:
Series 2 is showing some serious signs of deviation from the book, so far.

Been ages since I read them. What are the differences so far?

Also, it still amuses me all the time that the guy who shags all his daughters and marries them is called Craster.
And his daughterwife is called Gilly.
I'll retract 'deviation' and substitute 'explicitly showing things that were merely hinted at' such as Stannis' relationship with the red priestess. The books have the luxury of being inside the heads of numerous characters with differing viewpoints. It must be difficult for the screenwriter to translate that to a straightforward narrative
Second episode was a lot better than the first. Actually vaguely engaged with the story again.
DavPaz wrote:
I'll retract 'deviation' and substitute 'explicitly showing things that were merely hinted at' such as Stannis' relationship with the red priestess. The books have the luxury of being inside the heads of numerous characters with differing viewpoints. It must be difficult for the screenwriter to translate that to a straightforward narrative

Aha. I read the first three books when they came out, and as such have forgotten most of the plot, other than the really major points.

Very much enjoying the series, though I forget the names of half the characters.
We've been watching Spartacus at the same time and I keep getting characters confused between the two shows.
Curiosity wrote:
Also, it still amuses me all the time that the guy who shags all his daughters and marries them is called Craster.

I'm doing well out of Twitter followers as a result.
Craster wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I'm doing well out of Twitter followers as a result.

Ha!
Just started on book 4. Slow start. Not sure I like the new approach to viewpoint
Fear not, I'm 3k+ pages in and not giving up now.
So, the TV show. I've heard people grumbling that it's "too slow", but fuck them, they're idiots who think they're watching Spartacus.

I'm liking it, although I miss Ned.
Ned Stark/Al Gore made me L-LOL.
That is superb.

Also, I'd entirely forgotten about the end of the latest episode. Bloody hell!
Dammit, now I'm hopelessly in love with Ygritte.

Also, extra dramatic turn for Dany!
Huge departures from the books, now. Necessary, of course. Martin left some major characters without much to do in this or that book.

Also, Ygritte has been perfectly cast. Absolutely brilliant, the actress is. See also: lovely.
Ah yes, the change of love interest for Robb is an interesting turn.
I like the bit where there's tits in every episode.

I don't think I'll read the books. I'll just get upset when it fails to follow the plot of the show, as I did with Dexter. In that case though the TV show far surpasses the badly-written shite the author churned out after the first Dexter book.
*dashes in to avoid spoilers*

Just up to the end of Season 1, episode 6.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Golden Crown. Ouchie.

Fuck me, this is brilliant stuff. Also:

The Imp is awesome. And he got saved by Jerome out of Robson and Jerome. Who is also awesome. And given the way this series is going, probably very dead, very soon.
ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I like the bit where there's tits in every episode.

Including, this week, Bird From Harry Potter's tits (and the rest)!
Plenty of budding young actresses in this getting them out, although I can't help but think that won't do much for their careers in the long run. You either get famous and never go nude to the angst of horny fans, or you get famous and go nude for riduculous sums of money. I don't think starting your career with 20% dialogue and 80% breast exposure is the typical route to acting fame.
ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
I don't think starting your career with 20% dialogue and 80% breast exposure is the typical route to acting fame.

Re-writes CV
We now have 2 seasons of TV and maybe 4 or 5 books?

How does the TV seasons map to the books?

Are the first 2 seasons just from the 1st book or is it a season per book?

Would like to know how many seasons they could do as I love the show
asfish wrote:
We now have 2 seasons of TV and maybe 4 or 5 books?

How does the TV seasons map to the books?

Are the first 2 seasons just from the 1st book or is it a season per book?

Would like to know how many seasons they could do as I love the show

One season per book.

Book three is massive though (split into two books for paperback release), so they've either got to hack chunks from it, make a longer series, or deviate from 1 book = 1 series.

That said, others have read them far more recently than I, so may be better informed.
1st season is first book.
2nd Season isn't grabbing me as much as the third.
(old drum) Books go downhill rapidly somewhere towards the middle of book 3. MrsA, with her publisher hat on, says this is often a problem. Different editors are stronger or weaker in dealing with the authors so more shit gets left in or comes out, commissioning series of books and stuff leads to the author writing more filler and so on. We have this conversation every week.
The plan for this season was to wait until it was done and then blitz it, but i'm not sure I can continue waiting.
Trooper wrote:
The plan for this season was to wait until it was done and then blitz it, but i'm not sure I can continue waiting.

I'd cut out
everything apart from the Wall stuff, Jaime L and Araryarr Stark
from book 3.5 onwards.
MaliA wrote:
Trooper wrote:

I'd cut out
everything apart from the Wall stuff, Jaime L and Araryarr Stark
from book 3.5 onwards.

I was talking about the TV show rather than the books :)
I've already read the books, but not the latest. I've literally just started from book 1 again, as I can't really remember what happens at the end of book 4 anyway, so didn't want to jump into 5 straight away.
I read the first three when they originally came out. After waiting the best part of ten years for the fourth, I realised I had no bloody idea what was going on any more. To be honest, halfway through the second series on telly, and half of the characters are roughly where I remember them being (apart from the ones that die), so I'm buggered if I know what happens to most of them for the next book and a half.
I have to admit, (book 5 spoils)

the Danerys bits are really dragging for me (40% through Dance with Dragons). Just shut up and invade already!

But other than that, the slow burn is ok by me. I doubt it would be if I was waiting 5 years between books, though.
Curiosity wrote:
One season per book.

For pacing reasons, I believe some content from book 3 is in season 2, and some stuff from book 2 deferred to season 3.
If it goes well, they'll end up running out of books before the next book is published. I can see them breaking the book structure down completely, and just chopping it up into correctly sized and paced chunks with the right characters in.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
One season per book.

For pacing reasons, I believe some content from book 3 is in season 2, and some stuff from book 2 deferred to season 3.

I read somewhere, that they didn't want to introduce too many actors only not to really use them until they were central characters.

Malc
By the end, the child actors are going to be looking a bit old! Or do the last few books last longer?
You can see the difference in Arya already.
DavPaz wrote:
I have to admit, (book 5 spoils)

the Danerys bits are really dragging for me (40% through Dance with Dragons). Just shut up and invade already!

spoils anything before book3 or 4?
If I was one of the directors for the TV show, I would just cut anything and everything to do with Danerys out, simply to avoid having to show all that Mereem stuff. They're the dullest things in the book. I imagine that if it were all extracted and placed in it's own, seperate, book I would give it 0.5 stars on Amazon.

Game of Thrones, bitch
Game of Thrones, bitch
Game of Thrones, bitch
GAME OF THRONES, BITCH

(Spoilers for end of season 1)

Warning: once you listen to this, you will probably never not hear this when watching the show.
Going back to talking about the show

How friggin' convenient is it that Arya Stark happened to coincidentally rescue some sort of ultimate badass ninja assassin who was just slightly insufficiently badass to have been captured in the first place?
(Spoilers to S03E08)
Game of Thrones, Bitch!

haha awesome
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

How friggin' convenient is it that Arya Stark happened to coincidentally rescue some sort of ultimate badass ninja assassin who was just slightly insufficiently badass to have been captured in the first place?
(Spoilers to S03E08)

I like to think it's
her sword teacher
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

(Spoilers to S03E08)

hmmm, the way i remember thinking of it when reading the book the first time was that it may be Syrio her sword master, who disappeared after the nastiness in Kings Landing

If you haven't read the books don't click on the below spoiler
Arya's story arc is by far my favourite of the whole series, and her travelling to Braavosi and becoming Cat is rather cool. I can't wait to see what GRRMart finally does with this epic. My sneaky feeling is that Rob Stark is acctualy the Bastard son of Robert and Neds sister, Daenerys has her Dragons stolen via the Horn but Rob ends up saving her and them, then Targaryen and Stark/Baratheon marry after fighting off the others from North of the wall. The Red Priestess will get eaten by a Dragon, and Tyrion will be the only Lannister left and will end up sorted ruleing over Casterly Rock. Obviously i am going to be proven massively wrong :DD
As the books progress, Tyrion's becomes a complete fucking waste of time as a character.
In the earlier books I used to really look forward to
his chapters
but now it's
stupid, riding about on a pig and having him with the other dwarf lass
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
(Spoilers to S03E08)

GAYWOOD'S BEEN IN THE BOOTH, DUDE!
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Game of Thrones, bitch

Awesome.