Dungeons and Dragons
Can we tear out his eyes and replace them with the minor irritant's?
Gets Darkvision at level 10 so that’s a fair way off. Not looked through spell list properly though.
Hang on Darkvision is a level 2 spell, so not too far off. I can even get it later and bestow it upon his face.
I'm still in favour of surgical experimentation on him.
I’m willing to...

...turn a blind eye.
When I say the code word, you lot hold him down.
Sale on D&D Beyond today means you can get the PHB for $16 which gives your account access to all of the classes, backgrounds, archetypes etc from this book when building and levelling characters as well as giving access to a full electronic copy of the book for reading at your leisure.
hmm. says 19.99 for me
sdg wrote:
Sale on D&D Beyond today means you can get the PHB for $16 which gives your account access to all of the classes, backgrounds, archetypes etc from this book when building and levelling characters as well as giving access to a full electronic copy of the book for reading at your leisure.

Yeah I was considering that. Do they give you files to use on your e-reader or is it through their website only? I couldn’t find that info.

I am, sadly, out for tonight. :(
Dimrill wrote:
hmm. says 19.99 for me

That’s weird, I just bought it for $16.
Mr Chonks wrote:
sdg wrote:

Yeah I was considering that. Do they give you files to use on your e-reader or is it through their website only? I couldn’t find that info.

I am, sadly, out for tonight. :(

I haven’t checked the format.

Sorry you can’t join tonight :(
Gilly! What books are "safe" for us Noobs to purchase? Obviously I don't want anything that'll potentially ruin any adventures for us. I have the Phhhhhhb and the Guide to Everything at the mo.
Dimrill wrote:
Gilly! What books are "safe" for us Noobs to purchase? Obviously I don't want anything that'll potentially ruin any adventures for us. I have the Phhhhhhb and the Guide to Everything at the mo.

Any of the lore books are fine, so things like Tasha's, Xanathar's, Volo's. These books expand on lore, settings and additional player options.

I'd avoid the Monster Manual unless you were really eager because it's basically just monster stat blocks and you don't want to spoil the surprise of some of the monsters you could come up against. I'd also avoid the hardback adventures, so any book that describes itself as a campaign rather than lore. That includes things like: Curse of Strahd, Storm Kings Thunder, Tyranny of Dragons, Icewind Dale etc. These books contain the story for a DM to run - I'm using one of these right now with some minor modifications and will likely transition into one of these other ones when we finish this, if you all still want to play.

You could get the Dungeon Masters Guide without spoiling any story elements for yourself. This book is the guide to how to run hardback adventures, how to create your own adventures, how to build and roleplay NPCs, creating encounters balanced to your party, magic items etc. It's a great book for understanding the mechanics of D&D.

If you really want to treat yourself, check out the Art and Arcana book. It's a gorgeous collection of D&D related stuff from over the years.

There is a lot of good unofficial content as well but probably more relevant to the DM. Things like The Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master which helps streamline prep before sessions. Or The Monsters Know What They're Doing which is a tactics guide for the DM roleplaying the monsters. I don't own that one yet but it's probably next on my list after Christmas.
Trying to figure out right now if I sub to D&D Beyond if I can share my unlocked content with you. I think I can, so I'll probably do that then you can share your character sheets with my account as the DM and you'll get access to the content I own, like archetypes etc from the PHB.
sdg wrote:
I'd avoid the Monster Manual unless you were really eager because it's basically just monster stat blocks and you don't want to spoil the surprise of some of the monsters you could come up against.

I thought that would be so.

Quote:
if you all still want to play.

Very very much so.

Quote:
If you really want to treat yourself, check out the Art and Arcana book. It's a gorgeous collection of D&D related stuff from over the years.

I think it was the old art that made me avoid DnD for the last 30 years. I mean, look at the state of this!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Advanced-Dun ... 4589100442
I say we all buy these and use them to create our next character!
Players!

Can you follow this link and add your character sheet to the campaign? This should enable content sharing, so any content any of us own in D&D Beyond will be accessible to everyone else.

https://ddb.ac/campaigns/join/15729533009189515
Dimrill wrote:
sdg wrote:
I'd avoid the Monster Manual unless you were really eager because it's basically just monster stat blocks and you don't want to spoil the surprise of some of the monsters you could come up against.

I thought that would be so.

Quote:
if you all still want to play.

Very very much so.

I hope so, I'm having fun and I think I'll enjoy finishing out a complete campaign and also having a chance to take players to higher levels!

Dimrill wrote:
sdg wrote:

I think it was the old art that made me avoid DnD for the last 30 years. I mean, look at the state of this!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Advanced-Dun ... 4589100442

Some of the art is amazingly bad but this book talks about the history and evolution of some of the art and some of the character/monster concepts so it's an interesting read in places.
sdg wrote:
... if you all still want to play.

I'd imagine this is forever now.
Dimrill wrote:
I mean, look at the state of this!

I think I just levelled up by looking at that.
Squirt wrote:
I say we all buy these and use them to create our next character!

I think that shifty wizard has already done so.
Zardoz wrote:
sdg wrote:

:this:

We might even need a new DM if we have increased interest. I already have a friend who wants to play.
I think Gill needs a Zardoodle character for her avatar. Master of Puppets style.
Mr Chonks wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
sdg wrote:

We might even need a new DM if we have increased interest. I already have a friend who wants to play.

I think Jazzy had first dibs on the 6th character slot. Oo er.
Dimrill wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
sdg wrote:

I think Jazzy had first dibs on the 6th character slot. Oo er.

Hence I said we will need another DM to run a second game. Keep up
Zardoz wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

I sometimes think the early editions just got someone's nephew who was "really good at art" in to do some of the images.
Mr Chonks wrote:
We might even need a new DM if we have increased interest.

MUTINY!!!
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

MUTINY!!!

Assistant DM then. Still under Gilly’s jurisdiction
Dimrill wrote:
I think Gill needs a Zardoodle character for her avatar. Master of Puppets style.

SDG, PM me some words about how you picture yourself as a DM x
Squirt wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

I sometimes think the early editions just got someone's nephew who was "really good at art" in to do some of the images.

We need a sidequest to find Ermintrude those White Boots of Sexy.

Also <Gauntlet Arcade Voice>Yellow Elf needs a piss, badly.<Gauntlet Arcade Voice>
Zardoz wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

SDG, PM me some words about how you picture yourself as a DM x

Lit from below, looking sinister and an evil grin, with threads descending to puppet us around.
Mr Chonks wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

MUTINY!!!

If you're looking at another DM to run a separate game, surely joining a random game would be better? I'm sure there's plenty of people on a forum somewhere willing to run one.
You... you can speak through Dimrill in real life?!

*Shakes twigs at the sky*
Still waiting for a profile for Kruung. I want to rummage in his head.
Dimrill wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

MUTINY!!!

If you're looking at another DM to run a separate game, surely joining a random game would be better? I'm sure there's plenty of people on a forum somewhere willing to run one.

Or a huge, endless, multi-DM, multi-party West Marches style game.
The evergreen problem in D&D is finding a DM because there are always more people who want to play a game than want to run a game. I was in the same boat but agreed to give DMing a shot at the games shop and actually enjoyed it. It's a lot more work because you need to read the adventure, prep encounters, make notes on all the important locations and NPCs and try to find interesting hooks for players but in trade off you get to play lots of different characters through the NPCs, watch your party as they start to piece the story together and bring the world to life around them.

If someone wanted to learn to DM I'd be happy to have them as a co-DM for a few weeks to get a feel for it but I wouldn't ask or expect that of anyone. It's a big commitment and can feel pretty nerve wracking at times, especially when your new to it, or just starting a new campaign or group, or coming up to a climatic part of the story.
My evergreen problem with anything to do with D&D / WH40k / etc gaming is non of my real life friends are into it so this is a beautiful thing for me.

Appreciate the effort you're putting into this for us x
Zardoz wrote:
My evergreen problem with anything to do with D&D / WH40k / etc gaming is non of my real life friends are into it so this is a beautiful thing for me.

Appreciate the effort you're putting into this for us x

Same here. Plus it's nice to see Dave's, Zardoz's, Squirt's and Gilly's faces. I don't join in with things if I'm not invited due to my social anxiety and mad face, accent, grotesque physical appearance, and mad brain. So very many thanks for doing so Gill. xx
I was just trying to solve the issue of oversubscription. I have no interest in joining a game with randos
Yeah, it's great seeing you all again (especially Wullie :D - Nice to actually E-See you Squirt). You're all looking well btw. Certainly no worse than when I saw you in real life x
Mr Chonks wrote:
I was just trying to solve the issue of oversubscription.

By turning up every other week? :attitude:
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
I was just trying to solve the issue of oversubscription.

By turning up every other week? :attitude:

I’m a man of principle. If I commit to something prior then I see it through.
And I, sir, am committed to the safe return of Gundren and Sildar!
Thanks guys! I genuinely enjoy DMing even more than I enjoy playing so don’t think it’s a chore. I feel very very lucky that after wanting to play with a regular group in an ongoing campaign for so long, I’ve found a group of great players from people I count as friends and who are participating in the campaign so enthusiastically :luv:
Zardoz wrote:
And I, sir, am committed to the safe return of Gundren and Sildar!

I will be fully committed after next Monday. I’ve already told my driver I won’t be able to be race engineer for him next season.
sdg wrote:
Thanks guys! I genuinely enjoy DMing even more than I enjoy playing so don’t think it’s a chore. I feel very very lucky that after wanting to play with a regular group in an ongoing campaign for so long, I’ve found a group of great players from people I count as friends and who are participating in the campaign so enthusiastically :luv:

Ah, well if you'd rather go DM for that group rather than us bunch of reprobates, we'd understand. They sound pretty awesome, to be honest.
Squirt wrote:
sdg wrote:

Ah, well if you'd rather go DM for that group rather than us bunch of reprobates, we'd understand. They sound pretty awesome, to be honest.

:DD
Your terrible rolls are a blessing to any DM :hug:
Squirt wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
I reckon we've all been cooperating in taking these things to death. Except for Ivo, natch.

:'( :'( :'(

Ol' Ivo now has :

Agonizing blast! Makes Eldritch blast 40% more agonizing!

Eldritch Sight! Can detect magic at will. Soooo much magic is going to be detected!

Unseen Servant! Invisible, mindless, shapeless ghost butler!

Also, I should have used my "Create Bonfire" spell to block the wolf inside the other cavern where we could have sniped him risk-free, and then all ganged up on Clark.

I've rejigged this a bit - no more Unseen Servant, extra Hellish Rebuke. My thinking is that Ivo shouldn't have spells that make you go "Oh, that's handy" but rather ones that make you slowly back away whilst avoiding eye contact
What did the butler do?
Dimrill wrote:
What did the butler do?

Smashed in Colonel Mustards head in the library with a lead pipe.
Page 19 of 69 [ 3449 posts ]