Portal 2
JC left because he was constantly bullied, basically.
WTB wrote:

He'll be back!
He won't. He left months ago. I've subsequently spoken to him on Steam, trying to get him to come back - he's pretty much fully moved on now and won't be returning. :(
He's on STAG. Obv.
WTB wrote:

Constantly. Bullied.
Christ, don't bring this up again.
DavPaz wrote:
He's on STAG. Obv.

STAG has aids
LaceSensor wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
He's on STAG. Obv.

STAG has aids

Attachment:
5144861841_e373465271_z.jpg

"...on the streets of Philadelphia, na na na na na!"
Downloading via Steam.

Yes I am weak.
I want to play portal 2. Maybe when MiniPaz starts school
Holy crap: http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

By spending time playing the indie games in the Potato Sack bundle that launched on Steam a few weeks ago, people are building towards an early unlock of Portal 2 by contributing CPU units to emergency reboot GLaDOS. What a genius idea. Note that the games that count are not Valve games -- they are all from tiny little indie devs.
That's a cool gimmick.
The whole ARG has been pretty fascinating
Valve are so fucking great.
I'm not that big a fan of Stephen Merchant, so I was a little boo-urns over him being a voice acting choice, but then I found out that that J. Jonah. Jameson guy plays a big part in it as some chap called Cave Johnson, and as the man is a living laugh legend I am mighty reassured.

Really want this game now. Art design is lush. Pay more attention to art design, developers! Write better scripts! Like Valve do!
Also, a song or two by The National.
Pre-ordered for PS3, after some internal debate. I feel that Sony's willingness to work with Valve, contrasted with Microsoft's cuntiness around mod support for previous Valve titles (and UT3) should probably be rewarded with some of my money. Plus, getting the PC/Mac version for free ain't half bad.
Having been out of the loop of PC Gaming for a while, Imma ask a noob question.

If I want to play a steam game offline, do I have to go into offline mode before I disconnect?
I've never messed around with that jazz because I'm always plugged in, but I'm 90% certain that's how it works DavSpaz!
Thanks, Jahonny!
The Glados@home project is complete, so the game is live on Steam now; and the reviews are appearing. Eurogamer gave it 10/10:

Quote:
It's impossible to completely allay Portal fans' fears that this sequel might sully its pristine beauty. Although it's certainly no pushover, it's definitely more eager to please, and sometimes it's guilty of playing to the gallery. If you hate the idea that Stephen Merchant, comedy robots and tart fat jokes can exist in the same universe as Half-Life's Combine and Black Mesa, Portal 2 might offend you.

There's simply too much game here for it never to falter – but it hardly ever does. It's so generous and complete, so satisfying in each moment and in the whole, that a momentary lull, an overused mechanic or a cheap gag seem like trivial flaws.

Portal is perfect. Portal 2 is not. It's something better than that. It's human: hot-blooded, silly, poignant, irreverent, base, ingenious and loving. It's never less than a pure video game, but it's often more, and it will no doubt stand as one of the best entertainments in any medium at the end of this year. It's a masterpiece.

Edit -- worth pointing out the console versions offer split-screen co-op, too.
Well that's me sold.

360 version for me I think.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Edit -- worth pointing out the console versions offer split-screen co-op, too.

Hooray!
My strategic return of a lovefilm game on saturday and putting portal 2 at the top of my priority list has masterfully gave me need for speed hot pursuit to enjoy this week.
Just played the first 5 minutes (the intro sequence basically) Runs great on my i7 iMac and is very funny :D
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Pre-ordered for PS3, after some internal debate. I feel that Sony's willingness to work with Valve, contrasted with Microsoft's cuntiness around mod support for previous Valve titles (and UT3) should probably be rewarded with some of my money. Plus, getting the PC/Mac version for free ain't half bad.

Now really regretting not doing the same, after realising the PC version doesn't have the co-op bit. :(
Do you have to actually have a PS3 and play the game on it for it to become available in Steam, or is there simply a steam code included in the box or something?
I'd like to know this - are you getting the full and proper version with the PS3 version? It'd make sense even if you didn't have a PS3 to buy that version, use the code then trade it back in, wouldn't it?
Nik wrote:
Now really regretting not doing the same, after realising the PC version doesn't have the co-op bit. :(

Uh? What am I missing? From the Amazon page for the PC version:

Product Features
Platform: PC
Extensive single player game featuring next generation gameplay and a wildly-engrossing story
Complete two-person co-operative multiplayer game featuring its own dedicated story, characters, and gameplay
WTB wrote:
I'd like to know this - are you getting the full and proper version with the PS3 version? It'd make sense even if you didn't have a PS3 to buy that version, use the code then trade it back in, wouldn't it?

I'm guessing that would break the terms of the license and so would technically be piracy.
Rodafowa wrote:
Nik wrote:

Product Features
Extensive single player game featuring next generation gameplay and a wildly-engrossing story
Complete two-person co-operative multiplayer game featuring its own dedicated story, characters, and gameplay

This is confusing! I have heard that you can't play co-op on PC and PS3 with just the one copy of the game (PS3 and free PC version), but I don't understand how/why they'd disable co-op for the "free" PC version if you wanted to play it with other PC users or whatever.

Is the free version a different version of the game? We need answers!
Rodafowa wrote:
Nik wrote:

Product Features

Ah, interesting... I may have got the wrong end of the stick from the Eurogamer review.

If the PC version doesn't have co-op, presumably I can get a refund from Amzon (£5 cheaper than Steam).
WTB wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:
Nik wrote:

Product Features

This is confusing! I have heard that you can't play co-op on PC and PS3 with just the one copy of the game (PS3 and free PC version), but I don't understand how/why they'd disable co-op for the "free" PC version if you wanted to play it with other PC users or whatever.

Can someone who's bought it on Steam confirm the presence or absence of co-op?
A cute little kitten dies every time you pirate something.
could someone make me help undestand what's so fun about portal i kinda liked the demo of the first game, but 10/10?
Have you actually read the Eurogamer review? I thought it justified the score pretty well.
Nik wrote:
WTB wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:
Nik wrote:

Product Features

Can someone who's bought it on Steam confirm the presence or absence of co-op?

The PC version definitely has co-op - I was watching a playthrough on YouTube last night. However, I doubt it has split-screen co-op, and also, as I understand it, if you buy the PS3 version, it won't let you play co-op with the person using the "free" PC version without buying another copy of the game, even though proper full copies of the game support cross-platform co-op. I think that's where the confusion may lie.
romanista wrote:
could someone make me help undestand what's so fun about portal i kinda liked the demo of the first game, but 10/10?

It's a genuinely original bit of puzzling fun with an intriguing storyline and truly excellent writing. It's also tied-in to the Half Life storyline, but we're not entirely sure how yet.

Nik wrote:
WTB wrote:

:?:

It's a funny face in response to the piracy comment! :hat:
The PS3 version is also a Steam version. Steam won't let you be online and gaming in two places at once. Hence, you cannot co-op between the PS3 and the PC versions on the same Steam account. And yes, you need to take the PS3 version online and link your PSN account to your Steam account in order to claim the free linked PC version.

And the Eurogamer review specifically says that all versions have co-op but only the consoles have split-screen co-op.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
The PS3 version is also a Steam version. Steam won't let you be online and gaming in two places at once. Hence, you cannot co-op between the PS3 and the PC versions on the same Steam account. And yes, you need to take the PS3 version online and link your PSN account to your Steam account in order to claim the free linked PC version.

And the Eurogamer review specifically says that all versions have co-op but only the consoles have split-screen co-op.

Aha! Cheers, Rich!
WTB wrote:
romanista wrote:

It's a genuinely original bit of puzzling fun with an intriguing storyline and truly excellent writing. It's also tied-in to the Half Life storyline, but we're not entirely sure how yet.

Nik wrote:
WTB wrote:

It's this sort of cliquey in-joke that puts me off posting. :)
It's not a Beex in-joke. I didn't get it right away, but I gone done used my noggin to have a good guess.
Nik wrote:
WTB wrote:
romanista wrote:

Nik wrote:
WTB wrote:

It's this sort of cliquey in-joke that puts me off posting. :)

It's nothing cliquey. I've never seen it before.

Oh, a smiley face. As you were.
Thanks for clarification re split screen. I want split screen. :(

I'm assuming to play co op on a local network I'd need to buy two copies?
There's nothing in-jokey about it! It's a facial expression!

Nik wrote:
Thanks for clarification re split screen. I want split screen. :(

I'm assuming to play co op on a local network I'd need to buy two copies?

Yep - you'd both need to be logged into separate Steam accounts anyway, so you'd need a copy on each account!
WTB wrote:
There's nothing in-jokey about it! It's a facial expression!

Page 2 of 7 [ 317 posts ]