Boardgame Thread: Let's organise a beexordgame night.
Hmm, I'm more than happy to do that.
Can I get it delivered to your house, Cras?
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I hope you have bought this to play on Sunday night at midnight.

This could be a clincher.
Grim... wrote:
Hmm, I'm more than happy to do that.
Can I get it delivered to your house, Cras?

Hrm. You can, but there's a fair chance there won't be anyone there to receive it.
Huh. I don't really want to lug it around London, as you can probably imagine.

Suggestions?
Grim... wrote:
Huh. I don't really want to lug it around London, as you can probably imagine.

Suggestions?

Deliver to Craster's work, and he can carry it home during the week. Or to yourself of you think you can get it by Wednesday to take to the quiz.
Curiosity wrote:
Or to yourself of you think you can get it by Wednesday to take to the quiz.

This would work better if I was going to the quiz.
Grim... wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Or to yourself of you think you can get it by Wednesday to take to the quiz.

This would work better if I was going to the quiz.

Come to the quiz.
Great write-up! Sounds excellent fun.

Re-reading this thread, we really ought to sort put a board games meet this year. Just so I can thrash you all at 'Ticket to Ride'.
Kern wrote:
Great write-up! Sounds excellent fun.

Re-reading this thread, we really ought to sort put a board games meet this year. Just so I can thrash you all at 'Ticket to Ride'.

I have a 'Played: 1, Won: 1' record at this game. I should probably quit while I'm ahead.
I'd love to make a boardgame, But On The Internet. I'd really like to make a copy of the Zombies! game - it's pretty much perfect because there's no need for AI, the rules and things like movement are simple, but that's not fair on the makers.
There are many disadvantages of doing it online, but there are some advantages too (no need to all be in one place, as many pieces as you like without it costing more, play over a few weeks without worrying about tidying the game away, keep track of scores). So, er, if anyone has a great idea (and ruleset) for a game, let me know :)
As in make up our own game, rather than copy one out there?
Trooper wrote:

Yeah.
How about some kind of Chaos type battling game?
I must confess I don't know what they are, but if it's anything to do with GW I'd be avoiding it like the plague. They go after their IP very aggressively.
Grim... wrote:
I must confess I don't know what they are, but if it's anything to do with GW I'd be avoiding it like the plague. They go after their IP very aggressively.

Ah, that's a point. I forgot it was a GW thing. Maybe you could just take the idea and have a different setting like Greek Mythology or something.
devilman wrote:
Ah, that's a point. I forgot it was a GW thing.

Ha - a certain special someone is mentioned on that page :attitude:
Grim... wrote:
I'd love to make a boardgame, But On The Internet. I'd really like to make a copy of the Zombies! game - it's pretty much perfect because there's no need for AI, the rules and things like movement are simple, but that's not fair on the makers.
There are many disadvantages of doing it online, but there are some advantages too (no need to all be in one place, as many pieces as you like without it costing more, play over a few weeks without worrying about tidying the game away, keep track of scores). So, er, if anyone has a great idea (and ruleset) for a game, let me know :)

That's pretty much precisely what I've been trying to recreate as a forum game - though as a team effort, rather than adversarial as Zombies! currently is. What I've been struggling with is replacing the random chance that currently governs combat.
devilman wrote:
How about some kind of Chaos type battling game?

Utter bastard to get balancing correct.
If you want the forum to roll a die I could happily do that for you.
I think it'd be quite simple to make Ludo. Do Ludo.
Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Yeah.

Challenge accepted!
Grim... wrote:

Nah. I want consequences to be based on decisions, not dice.
Dimrill wrote:
Do Ludo

I suspect I wouldn't be the first.
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You could have combat nearly always hurt to attacker as well as the defender, like in Advance Wars. Or Space Cows.
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Yeah.

Challenge accepted!

Hurrah!

Ahem: I wish I could draw pictures to go with my online board game... ;)
Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You could have combat nearly always hurt to attacker as well as the defender, like in Advance Wars. Or Space Cows.

Or have a fixed attack (due to weapons or whatever) + a bonus that comes from a card the player plays.

The card comes from their hand of 6 or whatever, and the hand doesnt get replenished until they are all used up.

Therefore players need to size up when they think they can get away with playing weaker cards or something.

Or something.
Dr Lave wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Or have a fixed attack (due to weapons or whatever) + a bonus that comes from a card the player plays.

The card comes from their hand of 6 or whatever, and the hand doesnt get replenished until they are all used up.

Therefore players need to size up when they think they can get away with playing weaker cards or something.

Or something.

This is intended to be a forum game though, from my side - so I want consequences to be based on decisions, not numbers so much.
Could I put another player on top of my head when I get to the other side of the board?
Hmm, how about a system where each player (hidden from others, via pm or some code magic) commit to helping the "gang" in the battle or "look after themselves". The former let's the group win but you may get bit, and the latter keeps you safe, but you appear to be helping.

Different challenges need greater commit numbers.

A coop game where you are out for yourself.
Dimrill wrote:
Could I put another player on top of my head when I get to the other side of the board?

Only if he is small, like Gaywood and Alberto.
Damn. I was wanting a proper kingly hat. A Mr Russ maybe.
Curiosity wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Only if he is small, like Gaywood and Alberto.

What about a light character (Mr Dave)

And do you not need to pick up the ceremonial headress beforehand (and is that possibly a couch which would be designed to fit an unusual edge of a room?)
Curiosity wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Yeah.

Challenge accepted!

Can you make it about zombies and superheroes so I can call it Zomgbies?
Grim... wrote:

Can we make trooper in charge of design, and not rules? ;-)
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Can we make trooper in charge of design, and not rules? ;-)

I fear my server would run out of RAMS almost instantly.
OH NOES! HE'S HERE! MORE RAMS!

So Craster, Riles, Curio and I tried Pandemic.

It was... Okay. It would have been better if we'd got the rules right. We need to try again - and we'll have to have Roda there to tell us how to play properly.

As it was, we "won" in about twenty turns.
Hadn't spotted this. Yeah, played Pandemic before, Nice idea, but somewhat lacking in execution. Generally all seems a bit easy
It's a lot less easy if you read the rules.
Grim... wrote:
So Craster, Riles, Curio and I tried Pandemic.

It was... Okay. It would have been better if we'd got the rules right. We need to try again - and we'll have to have Roda there to tell us how to play properly.

As it was, we "won" in about twenty turns.

Or, we could try not being shredded when we start playing.
Craster wrote:
It's a lot less easy if you read the rules.

I did read the rules. Maybe I've just been lucky whenever I've played.
The errors we made we insufficient shuffling of the deck, Riles shitting out research stations every turn, and you don't discard cured disease cards until it is eradicated.

That said, I still think you should win without too much trouble most of the time.
Playing with 4 epidemics in the deck, depending on the number of players I'd expect to win somewhere between half and two-thirds of the time. You can, of course, play with anything up to 6 epidemics.

Of course it lacks a bit of atmosphere and tension if you're not in any danger of losing! :D
Played again last night. Thought it was going quite well, two diseases cured, then we ran out of player cards. Game over, world dies in a hell of rot and filth.
Attachment:
IMG_0300.JPG

GET TO DAH CHOOPAH!
That fluffy pink dressing gown totally suits you.
Zombies! is out on WP7. Were you aware, MS phone owners?
Yes. No online multiplayer. Which is the most mental thing I've ever heard of.
Craster wrote:
Yes. No online multiplayer. Which is the most mental thing I've ever heard of.

Page 3 of 32 [ 1600 posts ]