The big wikileaks, er, leak!
Internet lols probably ensue
You assume that everyone always buys the latest console straight away. The Master System was still on sale well into the 90s. I reckon a few thrifty parents might have picked up a late model in *checks* 1996 (jiminny cricket, 1996!) for a younger kid. The first console I ever owned was an XBOX1. Mainly because my parents were poor (and tight).

*has teenage strop over never owning a Nintendo*
Related: Did everyone know that Sega made a few computers in Japan?

This baby grew up to be the Master System
Someone born in the early 90s could quite possibly have a dad who is into console games. My daughter was born in 1993. I don't think there's been a console released since then she hasn't had full access to, many of which I still have.
DBCrakka wrote:
Someone born in the early 90s could quite possibly have a dad who is into console games. My daughter was born in 1993. I don't think there's been a console released since then she hasn't had full access to, many of which I still have.

I'm sure there are a few who genuinely remember what it is that they are professing a fondness for, however I suspect they are a small in number compared to the number of hipster douchebags who blabber on about it because it's seen as trendy.
Decca wrote:
Speaking of TVs, you only got to play any console when parents were not about because unless you had trendy parents a house would only have one TV (and possibly a tiny black and white one in the kitchen and after half an hour squinting at sonic on that you would give up, or your mum would want to put her soaps on.)

I had a tv in my room plugged into various spectrums and megadrives over the years, starting from the late eighties. My parents were in no way trendy or rich! :D
Trooper wrote:
Decca wrote:
Speaking of TVs, you only got to play any console when parents were not about because unless you had trendy parents a house would only have one TV (and possibly a tiny black and white one in the kitchen and after half an hour squinting at sonic on that you would give up, or your mum would want to put her soaps on.)

I had a tv in my room plugged into various spectrums and megadrives over the years, starting from the late eighties. My parents were in no way trendy or rich! :D

Late 80s, eh? Dad had a BBC Micro which I played on a lot, and then he got a CGA 286. My younger brother got a SNES at some point (must have been a while after it was released...), and then I got a second hand N64 which was solely used for Goldeneye. I think I still have it.
I had a speccy 48k, a +2 and a +3. From the very first of them we had a tv to go with it, which was in my room. So it may well have been mid eighties, rather than late eighties, I was born in 76 :)
Dad brought home a 12Mhz 286 from work, which was awesome!
Then I had a Megadrive, none of that Nintendo crap in my gaff :D

My cousin had a BBC, we used to play some sort of top down driving game for hours on end.
Trooper wrote:
I had a speccy 48k, a +2 and a +3. From the very first of them we had a tv to go with it, which was in my room. So it may well have been mid eighties, rather than late eighties, I was born in 76 :)
Dad brought home a 12Mhz 286 from work, which was awesome!
Then I had a Megadrive, none of that Nintendo crap in my gaff :D

My cousin had a BBC, we used to play some sort of top down driving game for hours on end.

I begged my parents for a Speccy, as a mate had one and it looked better than the BBC. Then I asked for SAM Coupe after Cras got one (lucky escape) and then an Amiga. Still didn't get one. Still, it meant I spent more time on the PC and ultimately spent many a happy hour fiddling with autoexec.bat and config.sys to get Falcon 3 to work (needed 604k of basic RAM free, FFS).
markg wrote:
DBCrakka wrote:

I'm sure there are a few who genuinely remember what it is that they are professing a fondness for, however I suspect they are a small in number compared to the number of hipster douchebags who blabber on about it because it's seen as trendy.

I heard some comedian talking about this. He said something along the lines of "When I see some young kid walking down the street with a T-Shirt with SEGA on the front, I want to run up, grab him and shout 'I SUFFERED FOR YOU, YOU CUNT!'".

Which amused me.
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

You couldn’t make this up. (Bronwyn Bishop is MP for the Division of Mackellar, New South Wales, Australia, and is a member of the shadow (opposition) cabinet for the Liberal Party.)

Edit -- Curio has pointed out via Facebook that this is a fake account, albeit a really, really real-looking one. As you were.
Brilliant - "he should just be tortured".
Hmm, does she think he's got a big box of letters somewhere, presumably all on Embassy notepaper and sealed up with wax, or that he's swiped some actual cables, like those people you hear about getting electrocuted steal power lines for scrap?
Well, Assange is out on bail, subject to handing in his passport, wearing a tag, and obeying a curfew. Not sure when the extradition hearing is.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
Well, Assange is out on bail, subject to handing in his passport, wearing a tag, and obeying a curfew. Not sure when the extradition hearing is.
11th apparently.
DBCrakka wrote:
Someone born in the early 90s could quite possibly have a dad who is into console games.
Swap "90s" for "80s", and leave out "console", and that's just as true for me. My dad owned computers before I was even born. :hug: His interests in technology and games kept me in computers and consoles all my childrenhood, for which I was very fortunate and still grateful. My g.f. OTOH only had a hand-me-down Master System II and nothing else until she got her DS Lite. :( (No chance to play computer games in the '80s either, living in East Germany.)
Doctor Nadolig wrote:
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

You couldn’t make this up. (Bronwyn Bishop is MP for the Division of Mackellar, New South Wales, Australia, and is a member of the shadow (opposition) cabinet for the Liberal Party.)

Edit -- Curio has pointed out via Facebook that this is a fake account, albeit a really, really real-looking one. As you were.

I love the Ozzies! I was told a joke at lunch today referring to a an Australian parliament debate which was about something to do with legislation about a group called Country Members or something or other. Yes, it's going to get lost in the retelling, but the response apparently went something like this.

Country Member: Objection! I'm a Country Member!
Parliament: Yes. We remember
DBCrakka wrote:
Doctor Nadolig wrote:
Attachment:
Capture.PNG

I love the Ozzies! I was told a joke at lunch today referring to a an Australian parliament debate which was about something to do with legislation about a group called Country Members or something or other. Yes, it's going to get lost in the retelling, but the response apparently went something like this.

Country Member: Objection! I'm a Country Member!
Parliament: Yes. We remember

I originally heard that joke on Never Mind the Buzzcocks ages ago! About a member of the group "Big Country" :)
A second year student would only be 7 years younger than me. Some of my earliest memories are of the spectrum and the brand new, dead exciting Amiga 500. I was still playing my A1200 until its demise in 1999.

It's not that unlikely at all for students to really remember consoles and ting. Having it be some of your earliest memories would make a pretty big impression.
so not out yet then

His very very creepy online dating profile
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... htung.html

got to give comedy timing props it to whoever wrote that

Quote:
A section of Mr Assange’s profile detailing online quizzes he had completed showed he had been ranked strongly Left-wing and atheist, as well as “87 per cent slut".

Mr Assange, 39, is currently being held in Wandsworth prison
awaiting potential extradition to Sweden. He is accused of rape and sexual molestation, which he denies.
Decca wrote:
so not out yet then

Quote:
A section of Mr Assange’s profile detailing online quizzes he had completed showed he had been ranked strongly Left-wing and atheist, as well as “87 per cent slut".

awaiting potential extradition to Sweden. He is accused of rape and sexual molestation, which he denies.

Quote:
He ... and added enigmatically: "I am DANGER, ACHTUNG".

Poor research or simple misleading, there - that "I am [WORD], [WORD], and [WORD]" part is a vestige of a previously obligatory feature where users had to use three words to describe themselves. When it was dropped (presumably because most people found it tedious and put in any old gibberish), the text was dropped from the header and automatically copied into the body text of the profile. They didn't tell people this, so a lot of people still have it there, having presumably never noticed it.

Quote:
Among Mr Assange's listed interests were the "structure of reality" and "chopping up human brains" – although he added the caveat "(neuroscience background)" lest the latter put off potential admirers.

Oh please. If you were that easily put off, you would have left OKCupid after about an hour. Pretty much every profile on there is either ageingly dull ("I LYK POPULAR FILM #11, POPULAR BAND #223, INOFFENSIVE INTEREST #55b LOL") or is deliberately obscure and/or dark.

Quote:
Asked for the "most private thing" he was willing to admit, Mr Assange said he had "Asian teengirl stalkers".

Again, misleading - loads of people put silly gibberish in there. Mine is "I'm sleeping with your wife". Doesn't mean anything as this is obviously trying to make out.

Quote:

pfft, half the point of that site is the quizzes, most of which are rubbish about how much of a bummer or serial killer you "are", or WOULD I BONE U!!! quizzesesszesz.

In conclusion, the only story here is that, four years ago, he had a silly profile on a silly site where most people say silly things. Silly.
sinister agent wrote:
Decca wrote:
so not out yet then

Quote:

Your Face is silly.

Malc

Quote:
He ... and added enigmatically: "I am DANGER, ACHTUNG".

Poor research or simple misleading, there - that "I am [WORD], [WORD], and [WORD]" part is a vestige of a previously obligatory feature where users had to use three words to describe themselves. When it was dropped (presumably because most people found it tedious and put in any old gibberish), the text was dropped from the header and automatically copied into the body text of the profile. They didn't tell people this, so a lot of people still have it there, having presumably never noticed it.

Quote:
Among Mr Assange's listed interests were the "structure of reality" and "chopping up human brains" – although he added the caveat "(neuroscience background)" lest the latter put off potential admirers.

Oh please. If you were that easily put off, you would have left OKCupid after about an hour. Pretty much every profile on there is either ageingly dull ("I LYK POPULAR FILM #11, POPULAR BAND #223, INOFFENSIVE INTEREST #55b LOL") or is deliberately obscure and/or dark.

Quote:
Asked for the "most private thing" he was willing to admit, Mr Assange said he had "Asian teengirl stalkers".

Again, misleading - loads of people put silly gibberish in there. Mine is "I'm sleeping with your wife". Doesn't mean anything as this is obviously trying to make out.

Quote:

pfft, half the point of that site is the quizzes, most of which are rubbish about how much of a bummer or serial killer you "are", or WOULD I BONE U!!! quizzesesszesz.

In conclusion, the only story here is that, four years ago, he had a silly profile on a silly site where most people say silly things. Silly.
I like the way that article starts off with "Using the name Harry Harrison", like he's deliberately created an entire fake identity just for stalking women online or something.
The Stainless Steel Rapist, clearly.
It's the torygraph, few months back they did a list of recommended PC programs and put norton at the top of it. I would switch to the times but they make you pay, grundran is too left wing as is the BBC ?:|

He's still a very very creepy fucker though, not saying that "Decca thinks you are creepy Mr Assange" or even the charges he is on are any reason for him to be behind bars, yanks want to do him for something then they need to find something legal and make it stick.
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.co ... n-assange/

Read it all, but here's a taster:

Quote:
The initial warrant in the case against Mr. Assange had been issued in August. But it was revoked the next day, due to what the lead prosecutor cited as a lack of evidence. It was only last month – just as WikiLeaks was preparing to release a set of confidential diplomatic cables – that Sweden again issued a warrant to detain him.

After turning himself in to the authorities in London, Mr. Assange was initially denied bail (although he has since been awarded it) — which is particularly unusual given that Swedish authorities have still not formally charged him with a crime, but merely want to bring him in for questioning. Most unusually still, Sweden had issued an Interpol red alert for Mr. Assange’s arrest, something they have done for only one other person this year accused of a sex crime: Jan Christer Wallenkurtz, who is suspected of multiple cases of sexual assault against children.
Stephen Colbert wrote:
TIME's Person of the Year is Mark Zuckerberg. Sorry, Julian Assange, I guess you didn't violate enough people's privacy.
Doctor Nadolig wrote:
Stephen Colbert wrote:
TIME's Person of the Year is Mark Zuckerberg. Sorry, Julian Assange, I guess you didn't violate enough people's privacy.

This only works if you know that Zuckerberg('s roomate, right, conspiricy theory chums?) created Facebook.
I rather assume most people do.
Jesus.

Quote:
Bradley Manning, the 22-year-old U.S. Army Private accused of leaking classified documents to WikiLeaks, has never been convicted of that crime, nor of any other crime. Despite that, he has been detained at the U.S. Marine brig in Quantico, Virginia for five months -- and for two months before that in a military jail in Kuwait -- under conditions that constitute cruel and inhumane treatment and, by the standards of many nations, even torture. Interviews with several people directly familiar with the conditions of Manning's detention, ultimately including a Quantico brig official (Lt. Brian Villiard) who confirmed much of what they conveyed, establishes that the accused leaker is subjected to detention conditions likely to create long-term psychological injuries.

Since his arrest in May, Manning has been a model detainee, without any episodes of violence or disciplinary problems. He nonetheless was declared from the start to be a "Maximum Custody Detainee," the highest and most repressive level of military detention, which then became the basis for the series of inhumane measures imposed on him.

From the beginning of his detention, Manning has been held in intensive solitary confinement. For 23 out of 24 hours every day -- for seven straight months and counting -- he sits completely alone in his cell. Even inside his cell, his activities are heavily restricted; he's barred even from exercising and is under constant surveillance to enforce those restrictions. For reasons that appear completely punitive, he's being denied many of the most basic attributes of civilized imprisonment, including even a pillow or sheets for his bed (he is not and never has been on suicide watch). For the one hour per day when he is freed from this isolation, he is barred from accessing any news or current events programs. Lt. Villiard protested that the conditions are not "like jail movies where someone gets thrown into the hole," but confirmed that he is in solitary confinement, entirely alone in his cell except for the one hour per day he is taken out.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn ... 14/manning
That's some scary shit. Fuck me.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
I rather assume most people do.

Not ordinary people.
I don't care what fag wrote emobook.
I like England being portrayed as 'The Daddy'
that's properly awesome.
Oh look, he's out of jail. Good.
Pvt Manning isn't.
Kern wrote:
Pvt Manning isn't.

Bastards.
So has anyone resolved who actually caused his bail to be appealed for Sweden? Sweden are still maintaining they didn't ask for it, and the DPP says it never came across his desk. It's looking increasingly like the prosecution barrister went off on one on her own (which, from what I know of her, wouldn't surprise me at all). I wonder how the costs ramifications will be worked out?
Quietly, masked by kerfuffle surrounding the drug-fuelled prossie-hiring of some nobody or politician?
That first one is pretty pro.
He does seem a bit rapey.
It's probably just as well we didn't see these when Sinister was asking for dating advice
Gawker should clearly have sent the emails to Wikileaks and got them to release them.
The validity of the charges is of course a separate point to quite how cynically cold he appears in the emails (and quite how badly he writes). I still approve of the leaks, but I wouldn't want the fellow sniffing around the daughters I don't have.

Nor would I want him sniffing round my daughters, if I had any.

I think Mr Assange will be sobered to learn that if something which isn't the case, were the case, I would still have the same attitude that I do actually have with respect to that which isn't the case (I mean, the attitude is the case, in that it does exist, but it relates to the hypothetical positing of an ontology which does not exist). As I say, the man just can't write.
Kern wrote:
It's probably just as well we didn't see these when Sinister was asking for dating advice

Pfft. Amateur. If your stalkey emails don't rhyme, you're doing it wrong.
sinister agent wrote:
Kern wrote:

Pfft. Amateur. If your stalkey emails don't rhyme, you're doing it wrong.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Open your curtains
So I can see you
Violets are blue
And roses are red
I've got a webcam
Pointed at your bed
Page 4 of 8 [ 372 posts ]