The big wikileaks, er, leak!
Internet lols probably ensue
Fucking students.
Wait, hang on. Thousands of people have downloaded an encrypted file with more stuffs in it, but no-one can yet open it, because the decryption key hasn't been found, right?

Does this remind anyone of anything that happened recently?

And this Swedish fella... hasn't broken any laws at all? And even if he was a perv, so what? I'm not entirely sure why anyone can hold him at all. Is he now classed as a TRRZT?
DavPaz wrote:
Wait, hang on. Thousands of people have downloaded an encrypted file with more stuffs in it, but no-one can yet open it, because the decryption key hasn't been found, right?

Does this remind anyone of anything that happened recently?

You're not talking about me and that fake episode 6 of Walking Dead, are you?
I haven't read the Walking Dead thread so as to avoid spoilz, but did I miss a belmer?
It's not that it hasn't been found, it hasn't been released. The encryption is effectively unbreakable, and people at Wikileaks have the key to release as and when they wish.

He may have broken Swedish rape laws. He may have broken some laws the US are hurredly writing. But no charges have been filed.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
It's not that it hasn't been found, it hasn't been released. The encryption is effectively unbreakable, and people at Wikileaks have the key to release as and when they wish.
Note to mention the file is intriguingly called "insurance.aes256" and big enough to store all the leaks we know wikileaks have about twice over.
Yep. Could be incredibly damaging and juicy stuff, could be a massive fuck-off bluff. If the latter, it's exceedingly clever.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
But no charges have been filed.

I think they have been - you can't issue a valid EAW without charges having been made in the requesting jurisdiction.
According to his lawyer:

Quote:
Assange's lawyer, renowned British advocate Mark Stephens, told CBS News Thursday that prosecutor Marianne Ny is staging a "show trial," in reference to the politically motivated prosecutions of the Stalin-era Soviet Union.

Stephens said not only have formal charges not been filed against Assange, but the prosecution has failed to provide him with any documentation relating to the investigation. As a result, he says it's impossible for him to begin crafting a defense.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
According to his lawyer:

Quote:
Assange's lawyer, renowned British advocate Mark Stephens, told CBS News Thursday that prosecutor Marianne Ny is staging a "show trial," in reference to the politically motivated prosecutions of the Stalin-era Soviet Union.

Stephens said not only have formal charges not been filed against Assange, but the prosecution has failed to provide him with any documentation relating to the investigation. As a result, he says it's impossible for him to begin crafting a defense.

Presuming that quote is not from before the day he got arrested - I had thought they'd issued charges and the EAW that day?

Hang on - I'm pretty sure I'm right. The reports on the court day talk about the EAW referring to four charges the Swedish prosecutor had made. I'm very sure I heard that Stephens quote from a few days beforehand.

If it was an invalid EAW (which it would be were there no formal charges made in Sweden) the judge would have chucked it out.
I read a few US pundits claim he broke same US WWI Espionage Act, but that looked pretty flaky, to be honest. The guy that passed the details to him almost certainly broke some laws, but he was in the army and is probably under laws and regulations. A US colonel was recently convicted of "unauthorized disclosure of classified information" which might be roughly parallel, and eneded up with 10 months house arrest.
The article dates that quote as yesterday, so he was most certainly arrested at that point. I can't really tell from the sources available.
Squirt wrote:
A US colonel was recently convicted of "unauthorized disclosure of classified information" which might be roughly parallel, and eneded up with 10 months house arrest.

That US Colonel would have signed an agreement covering his access to that information though and covering penalties for disclosure. Wikileaks never did, and Assange isn't even a US citizen, let alone a member of the US military.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
The article dates that quote as yesterday, so he was most certainly arrested at that point. I can't really tell from the sources available.

It sounds as if youre right.

If that's the case, what the fuck was the judge doing remanding him in custody when there's no valid EAW and therefore no basis for an extradition hearing?
True! So Assange isn't even as guilty as a guy who got 10 months house arrest, assuming he's guilty at all! He should probably just go to the US and let them charge him - I'd be astounded if they could get anything to stick.
Squirt wrote:
True! So Assange isn't even as guilty as a guy who got 10 months house arrest, assuming he's guilty at all! He should probably just go to the US and let them charge him - I'd be astounded if they could get anything to stick.

If he steps foot in the US he'll end up in Gitmo, real laws bedamned.
GoodKingWrongceslas wrote:
If that's the case, what the fuck was the judge doing remanding him in custody when there's no valid EAW and therefore no basis for an extradition hearing?

Running around trying to work out how quadri-partite internation law works, I suspect.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:

Running around trying to work out how quadri-partite internation law works, I suspect.

It wasn't, though. It was a straight request from Sweden to UK for an extradition under an EAW.
But he's not being extradited. They asked him if he would consent to extradition, and he said no.
Squirt wrote:
He should probably just go to the US and let them charge him
I initially rejected this as a daft idea, but then if you think about the last six weeks it's more or less proven that Assange has the biggest pair of balls on the planet. So, maybe he will.

Ooh, just remembered where I stole that from, this piece by Scott Adams from a few days ago: http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/sweden/
Quote:
Here's a list of three things that you are unlikely to do, at least in this order:

1. Watch a Swedish movie called The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
2. Read about the Swedish sex charges against Julian Assange
3. Book a vacation to Sweden

I am always amused by the strange impact of unintended consequences. Julian Assange simply wanted to release some embarrassing information, have hot sex with a Swedish babe then have hot sex with an acquaintance of that same babe one day later. That's just one example of why the Swedish language has 400 words that all mean "and your cute friend is next."

But things didn't turn out as Assange hoped. The unintended consequence of his actions is that he managed to make Sweden look like a country that's governed by congenital idiots and populated with nothing but crazy sluts and lawyers. And don't get me started about the quality of their condoms.

To be fair, I don't know if Assange's alleged broken condom is because the product was defective. We have good evidence that Assange has the world's biggest set of nuts, so assuming some degree of proportionality, he'd put a strain on any brand of condom that didn't have rebar ribs.

Assange had a lot of help making Sweden look like the last place on Earth that you would want to take your penis. The aforementioned megahit movie, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, makes the place look like a snow-filled ass cave that Jeffrey Dahmer lived in before he got a raise. (It's a good movie otherwise.)

If you haven't read any background about the so-called rape charges against Assange, you really should. Apparently Swedish laws are unique. If you have a penis, you're half a rapist before you even get through customs. And if your condom breaks, that's jail time. What I'm saying is that the Club Med in Sweden is a nervous place.

I was having a hard time making up my mind about Assange. On one hand, he might be hurting the interests of my country and putting people in danger. Death to him! On the other hand, a little extra government transparency might prevent more problems than it causes. Hero! It was a toss-up. Then Sweden turned Assange from a man-whore publicity hound into Gandhi. Advantage: Assange.

The one thing I know for sure is that I'm a fan of the hackers who are dispensing vigilante justice. Here's another unintended consequence: The hackers could end up organizing over this issue and ultimately forming a shadow government of their own, if they haven't already. I welcome my hacker overlords.

Prediction: The governments of the world can't let Assange become a martyr. He would be too powerful. They'll pressure Sweden to release him on some sort of technicality.

(I started out quoting just part of it, but dammit, it's all fried gold.)
Quote:
We have good evidence that Assange has the world's biggest set of nuts, so assuming some degree of proportionality, he'd put a strain on any brand of condom that didn't have rebar ribs

:DD
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
:DD
I KNO RITE?!
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
But he's not being extradited.

Not yet, no - the hearing was in relation to an extradition. They don't get to ask him to turn up at court for no reason. The reason is the EAW. If the EAW is invalid the result of the hearing should be "fuck off Sweden"
Ah right - so they asked him to go voluntarily to save bothering with a hearing. Gotcha.
Maybe we can arrange some sort of swap with them - We send over Assange, they send back the Swedish Bikini Team.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
Ah right - so they asked him to go voluntarily to save bothering with a hearing. Gotcha.

Yup. As if anyone ever says "yeah, ok".
Crasmas Pudding wrote:

So if he hasn't been charged with anything in the UK, does that mean if the extradition request is rejected, he's free to go?
Squirt wrote:
Crasmas Pudding wrote:

So if he hasn't been charged with anything in the UK, does that mean if the extradition request is rejected, he's free to go?

Yup. He's not accused of anything here.

It's not immediately obvious on what basis the judge has had him remanded in custody, under the circumstances. I'm sure legal keyboard warrior MaliA may be able to tell us.
ALSO!

Fit Sarah Beeny?
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
Fit Sarah Beeny?

Nah, she takes a bigger collar
I'm not sure she's hot enough to put up with being prosecuted for rape afterwards.
Don't shag her mate the next day then.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
Wise words for all Beexers currently living in Sweden, there.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
her mate

Pic pls.
Doctor Nadolig wrote:
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
Wise words for all Beexers currently living in Sweden, there.

Like who?
"when she said did I fancy joining her for some midnight fishing I thought she meant something else, officer"
"Everything was going fine until the hook wen't through the condom..."
Also, looks like the US are going for Espionage as the charge. Interesting choice, as it's not covered under their extradition treaties with either us or Sweden.
Crasmas Pudding wrote:
"show trial," in reference to the politically motivated prosecutions of the Stalin-era Soviet Union.
[/quote]

The fact that they feel the need to explain what a show trial is saddens and depresses me.
Remember, a first year uni student would be born in 1992
DavPaz wrote:

Labour didn't start burning the history books until 2001, so that's no excuse.
DavPaz wrote:

Fuck sake.
The stuff about the release of Megrahi* is a bit interesting.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/de ... bie-bomber
*The man who may or may not have been the Lockerbie bomber.
kalmyrrh wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Fuck sake.

I know!

"Uni". Bleurgh.
DavPaz wrote:

Jesus, not old enough to remember Dr Alban or 2 Unlimited.

I weep for the future of this country.
Amazing how so many students talk about how they had an atari/nes/snes/megadrive/master system/meaga drive though isn't it.*

I remember back in the day (1995) how there would be 15 kids all gathered round the one playstation 1 belonging to the only kid we knew lucky enough to own one - much like those pictures you see of a room full of people all watching the queen's coronation. Speaking of TVs, you only got to play any console when parents were not about because unless you had trendy parents a house would only have one TV (and possibly a tiny black and white one in the kitchen and after half an hour squinting at sonic on that you would give up, or your mum would want to put her soaps on.)

*No, no you didn't, in fact I'm in my 30s and I'm just about old enough to have been randomly bashing buttons on a NES, first console I was old enough for was the master system 2 my gran won at bingo.

/I hate teenagers rant
True, but a lot of the youngsters would've had a hand-me-down console from an older sibling or uncle or similar. That's why I was still a speccy user until 1992.
ah but the oh god I feel old truth is someone born in 1992 would have been 8 years old when the playstation 2 came out and the big brother hand me down console for that generation was the N64. This is console gaming of course, I have no clue about the PC timeline.
Page 3 of 8 [ 372 posts ]