General Purpose UK TV thread
Worth a download
One of the best shows of the year finished last night :(

The Great British Bake-off!
Spy looks like it could be entertaining.
Just watched an interesting BBC4 documentary on the history of electricity ('Shock and Awe'). I think most of the experiments they show are proper re-creations rather than just CGI - although I've read about the famous twitching frog's legs I don't think I'd ever seen it performed until now.

How I'd have enjoyed being a wealthy late 18th century Enlightenment polymath. :)
Tell you what I love on TV at the moment, that "To Fly, To Serve" BA advert. The bit at the end when the two jumbos are banking off and Concorde fucking tears past them is epic.
Just watched a fun BBC4 documentary on the life and times of the Devil, presented by Andy Hamilton ('Satan' in Radio 4's 'Old Harry's Game'). Very interesting - takes on Christian, Jewish, and Islamic views of Old Nick as well as considering some of the big questions such as the problem of evil. Has a good precis of the Book of Job, too.
Kern wrote:
Just watched a fun BBC4 documentary on the life and times of the Devil, presented by Andy Hamilton ('Satan' in Radio 4's 'Old Harry's Game'). Very interesting - takes on Christian, Jewish, and Islamic views of Old Nick as well as considering some of the big questions such as the problem of evil. Has a good precis of the Book of Job, too.

Good-oh, I recorded this.
Top Boy was good last night. If you like programs about the vagaries of the drug dealing food chain on a London estate. If not, it probably isn't for you. It's on all week.
Top Dog is still good, but getting bleaker each episode.
MaliA wrote:

If he's been dehumanised that far in only two days, I'd say so!
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Heh. It's of the "everything goes to shit, quickly" genre. And watching how the characters deal with it isn't pretty.
Misfits Season 3 started yesterday

(4OD link) : http://www.channel4.com/programmes/misfits/4od

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Quote:
I'm a fucking rocket scientist !
MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Heh. It's of the "everything goes to shit, quickly" genre. And watching how the characters deal with it isn't pretty.

*watches awesome joke sail over MaliA's head*
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
MaliA wrote:

*watches awesome joke sail over MaliA's head*

*looks at Curio blankly*
You said it was called 'Top Man', and then two days later said it was called 'Top Dog'. Hence the dehumanising.
Curiosity wrote:
You said it was called 'Top Man', and then two days later said it was called 'Top Dog'. Hence the dehumanising.

Oops. yeah. Heh. It's called Top Boy.
MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Oops. yeah. Heh. It's called Top Boy.

:DD
Is he the 'indisputable leader of the gang'?
Watching a merry Tony Robinson show on Channel 4 about corpse mutilation in Britain through the ages. 1st advert break, very interesting so far.

EDIT This one: 'Tony Robinson's Gods & Monsters'
Awesome PC world ad, not sure they should really be associating themselves with the Dark Side though 'cos they are very nasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXcoIN6tqXY
Riding Giants, a documentary about big wave surfing is on BBC Four now. It's good, watch it.
MaliA wrote:
Riding Giants, a documentary about big wave surfing is on BBC Four now. It's good, watch it.

I'm in the bath, I'll have to make my own waves.

*splashes a bit*
A bit so-so for this weeks Misfits after the excellent Nazi episode last week - the best line was actually the continuity announcer over the credits saying

I was begining to think they had forgotten how to kill probation officers
Anyone else watch Charlie Brooker's new thing last night? I thought it was pretty good, I like dark little tales like that.
markg wrote:
Anyone else watch Charlie Brooker's new thing last night? I thought it was pretty good, I like dark little tales like that.

We watched it. Didn't think too much of it at all.
Grim... wrote:
Tell you what I love on TV at the moment, that "To Fly, To Serve" BA advert. The bit at the end when the two jumbos are banking off and Concorde fucking tears past them is epic.

Yes I like it too. The line I think is "to skate the edge of heaven" is great.
Another meh-ish episode of Misfits this week but the trailer for next weeks looks great

ZOMBIES !
markg wrote:

I liked it. Very nicely done, and yeah, quite dark but still funny and kept you hooked. Looking forward to the next one.
I really enjoyed this week's Misfits and the trailer for next weeks looks good but it'll be the final episode of the season :-(

Nice intro for the new probation worker and some nice (sic) lines "No get a puppy it'll be bigger"
Black Mirror episode 2 was excellent. Really good story and spot-on observations.
kalmar wrote:
Black Mirror episode 2 was excellent. Really good story and spot-on observations.
And an outstanding rage-filled monologue from Daniel Kaluuya. I thought it was excellent.
And a good final episode of Misfits although

Given the "i'm going to need more powers" clip from the end of last week I guessed the twist before it came about

Very interested in what they will do for Season 4 which seems to have been confirmed

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s145/mis ... eries.html

Quote:
Misfits has reportedly been renewed for a fourth series.

The E4 drama has been given the go-ahead to begin work on new episodes, according to Broadcast.

Misfits follows a group of young people in community service who are coping with the problems which come with having superpowers.

The third series - which saw Joe Gilgun join the show to replace departing cast member Robert Sheehan - will conclude on Sunday night.

Matthew McNulty, who first appeared in last year's Christmas special as Seth, has also become a recurring star in the show.

The news comes after reports in October that Gossip Girl and The O.C. creator Josh Schwartz is developing an American remake of Misfits.

The third series of Misfits will conclude on Sunday at 10pm on E4.

Oh and my idea :

bring back the iguana as a zombie , then take its power , then kill it so the power can be used to go back in time and reset things - although this season has been good without Nathan i'd hate to lose Barry
Bugger :-(

[misfits end of S3 spoilers below]

http://channelhopping.onthebox.com/2011/12/20/second-misfits-star-confirms-exit-spoiler-warning/

It’s been a mixed week for Misfits fans. Last week the show was confirmed for a fourth series (hurrah!) but earlier this week Antonia Thomas (Alisha) confirmed that she wouldn’t be returning and this morning Iwan Rheon also announced that he would be leaving the show (Boo!).

Rheon – who plays Simon Bellamy – thanked fans for their support and wished the rest of the cast luck with the new series.

“Thanks for all the comments and support,” he said. “I’m so grateful for the opportunity that Misfits gave me and all the fun I had doing it. But I have left now and look forward to doing exciting new things. The show must go on! X”

Robert Sheehan became the first cast member to leave the E4 show last year, but ratings remained healthy and critics and fans alike have praised his replacement Joe Gilgun.
I found the 3rd Black Mirror story to be most excellent, a awesome tech idea put into a real life setting like that is just my cup of tea.
So it appears that the poison dwarf is not going to be in series 4 of Being Human. Oh what a shame.
Trooper wrote:
So it appears that the poison dwarf is not going to be in series 4 of Being Human. Oh what a shame.

Err ... but George is not going to be either ?

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... MyRPEUB6_A

So its just Annie that stays on (and she's not even the 'real' Annie)
Yup, no George either, but that sacrifice had to be made to get rid of Nina...
Anyone see Birdsong on the Beeb tonight? Bootifully shot, but a bit rude and graphic in places. (That man kissed that lady's front bottom and that other man had all his innards on show after he got blown up. And all this ON THE BBC, if you don't mind!!!)
I did. It was both good, and boring at the same time, which was a bit weird.
Very very slow, but worth watching.
Trooper wrote:
I did. It was both good, and boring at the same time, which was a bit weird.
Very very slow, but worth watching.

:this:

A bit like the pace of The French Lieutenant's Woman.

But some wonderful camera/lighting work. That bit early on, where he was sitting in a cafe with the huge window in the background, which looked just like a fine painting of a street scene. It's the first thing I've seen in HD that really seemed to benefit from it.
Thread Fax!

1.) Joseph Mawle, the actor who played Jack Firebrace, used to live in the flat downstairs from me. I knew him before he was famous!

2.) I also used to live in Lyme Regis, where The French Lieutenant's Woman was filmed!

However, I have seen neither Birdsong nor The French Lieutenant's Woman, so I can add nothing more useful to this conversation.
Got around to watching 'This Is England '88' a few weeks ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it, just like all the previous mini series and film. Love the realism of the characters and locations and the sense of involvement I get from watching these.

Looks like the series will end with 'This Is England '90' looking at the Wiki. Shame to see it has to come to an end but I think it's right to stop there.
Squirt wrote:
Thread Fax!

1.) Joseph Mawle, the actor who played Jack Firebrace, used to live in the flat downstairs from me. I knew him before he was famous!

Presumably he wants fuck all to do with you now.
:'( Yup, he's too busy drinking champagne from gold goblets and snorting coke from the breasts of models in a Hollywood mansion to talk with me now.
Toughest Place to Be a Train Driver on Beeb 2 at 9 tonight looks like it might be interesting.
Quite a hard programme for me and Mrs AE to watch, but we both agreed, well made and sensitively done:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ve_Autism/
Warhead wrote:
Toughest Place to Be a Train Driver on Beeb 2 at 9 tonight looks like it might be interesting.

Sounds like a high-brow version of Ice Road Truckers: Deadliest Roads. Count me in.
Harry Potter's History of English Law, as a current BBC 4 series sadly isn't titled, is an interesting romp across 1200 or so years of our history.

Iplayer links to the first two parts - third and final episode next Wednesday.
Episode 1

Episode 2
Started to catch up on the BBC's recent cycle of Shakespeare's history plays last night (going under the banner of 'The Hollow Crown'. Enjoyed 'Richard II', going to move on to the Henry 4s next.
Vexed.

First series was only three episodes long, but lots of fun.

Series two has started, you can catch the first episode on iPlayer.

Not as funny, though a couple of very good bits. There's a new female lead who I think was in Spooks, and who is gorgeous.

Toby Stephens is still ace, but a little more buffoon and a little less cool than before, which saddens me. I've still set the series link; fingers crossed it returns to form.
Page 7 of 47 [ 2348 posts ]