The 'Yay!' thread
post about good things
kalmar wrote:
And there's going to be an Alien sex predator film set in the highlands of Scotland starring Scarlett Johansson as the Alien sex predator!!!11111

Say no more.
Yays all round!
Good news this week, Newcastle still playing awesomely and also Pulp have got back together for festival gigs.
Reminds me: Boro only fucking went and won a bloody game!
I read on Twitter than Pulp are to reform. I hope they record a new album, which Blur didn't and Suede haven't announced plans to do so. Now bring back Terrorvision and Gay Dad and I'll be even happier.
There was something about Suede on Radio 4 (!) a few days ago. Reforming or touring or something.
Suede are utterly hateful.
Well, yes, that's why I wasn't really paying attention.

Still though, yay!
I received an early Christmas present today, a rather nerd-themed (and '80s nostalgia) present too. Err, yay!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Alarm wrote:
I read on Twitter than Pulp are to reform. I hope they record a new album, which Blur didn't and Suede haven't announced plans to do so. Now bring back Terrorvision and Gay Dad and I'll be even happier.

Terrorvision came back.

See?
kalmar wrote:
There was something about Suede on Radio 4 (!) a few days ago. Reforming or touring or something.

Quite. Greatest hits album out too, but no news of a new album.
throughsilver wrote:
Alarm wrote:

Terrorvision came back.

See?

They've reformed quite a few times but sadly haven't recorded any new material.
Zardoz wrote:
Suede are utterly hateful.

I loved their first two albums and the third wasn't bad, but they kind of lost it after that. Shame that Butler is concentrating more on production these days.
I have finally managed to get some sense out of HR about the proposed new pension and redundancy arrangements and it seems that the deduction I thought they intended to take from my pension lump sum would actually be from the redundancy compensation lump sum. So it looks like I'll lose £50k that I never expected to receive in the first place.

Confused? So was I. But I think I've a) now got the right story, and b) need to write to the Plain English Campaign about the woeful state of the pensions guidance we were issued.
I just got a free ticket (along with 2 of my coworkers) to go see the FC Barcelona game tomorrow night in Camp Nou, with VIP pass and everything. Yay!
I have a lead on a job! Yay! More after the weekend.
nickachu wrote:
I have a lead on a job! Yay! More after the weekend.

Get a map pack.
You're all playing BLOPS now
So's your mum.

Paperwork will come through from new employer a bit quicker than expected, so can resign this week! Woot! Need an interesting way of doing it.... I certainly have no intention of sticking with their usual idiotic request of people leaving that they don't tell anyone.
Carve "IM LEVIN" into the face of the Boss with a cheap, blunt knife.
Cockslap everyone you know.
Be dragged out of the office on your swivel chair by a can-can dancer pulling your tie.
You could do worse than basing your letter on Stewart Butterfield's letter to Yahoo when he resigned from Flickr.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Paperwork will come through from new employer a bit quicker than expected, so can resign this week! Woot! Need an interesting way of doing it.... I certainly have no intention of sticking with their usual idiotic request of people leaving that they don't tell anyone.

On your last day, leave a trail of petrol on the way out and spark up when you're out the door.
Wow. That man's a bit, er, mentally touched. Or just unfunny. I prefer to think he's dotty, though, as it's better that way.
devilman wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

On your last day, leave a trail of petrol on the way out and spark up when you're out the door.

Do this! But make sure you make a witty, lawyer-based quip as you nonchalantly toss your match onto the petrol stream. Like "Contract breached", but better.
You could use the DavPaz method:

When confronted with a rat faced supervisor saying the words - 'You should consider if you still want this job or not, David', answer 'Actually, no', stand up, walk out without a word and drop your security pass on the front desk on the way.

That felt good.
DavPaz wrote:
You could use the DavPaz method:

When confronted with a rat faced supervisor saying the words - 'You should consider if you still want this job or not, David', answer 'Actually, no', stand up, walk out without a word and drop your security pass on the front desk on the way.

That felt good.

Until you had to go back to work the next day and serve out your notice period? ;)

I should hopefully have a little leeway on the notice period as I'm going to work for a client.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Until you had to go back to work the next day and serve out your notice period? ;)

No notice needed on 'STUFF YOUR JOB' style exits. I may have forfeited by owed wages though. Bah, I was 22! I didn't care!
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Wow. That man's a bit, er, mentally touched. Or just unfunny. I prefer to think he's dotty, though, as it's better that way.

Seriously? That letter is genius. Do it.
kalmar wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Seriously? That letter is genius. Do it.

It's a bit "Letters from a Nut", though, and I dislike Seinfeld.
Darryl has had his start date for the army today, 2nd Feb next year. It's been a long time coming so Yay, but :S at the same time.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Darryl has had his start date for the army today, 2nd Feb next year. It's been a long time coming so Yay, but :S at the same time.

Cor, I didn't know he was joining the Army- is he able to do something along the lines of what he wanted to do in the Navy, or is it quite a change? Which regiment is he going to go to (if you can say)?
Yikes, that's not very far away is it.
Well they do still have bomb disposal and divers, although I don't think in the same job. He needs to go into the Royal Engineers to do either of those, so that is where he is aiming. The army want him to be the equivalent of an EMT though. Right now all he knows is that's his start date, there are so many changes going on with so much money being withdrawn, he just wants to get in really, get his training under his belt, then he can apply for specialities (such as the diving/bomb disposal). It's looking like two years before he would get there though. It's all a bit wait and see which is a bit crap, but at least he will be doing something he loves, getting as much different training as possible and being paid for it. In this climate that is a huge bonus.
kalmar wrote:
Yikes, that's not very far away is it.

Well in summer they said September, so it's a relief to get a final date out of them. He's done an army prep course in the mean time (that finishes the end of Jan) to keep his fitness levels up, so that fits in nicely, and he should have his final hearing about Chloe early Jan. So hopefully everything will be wrapped up nicely before he goes in.

Just need to buy him the car I promised him now. :P
Well, big congratulations to Darryl are in order, then!
Thank you, he's certainly worked hard for it, I'll give him that! :)
If you merged this thread with the 'nay' and 'meh' threads, you could retire Bits and Bobs.
Give my congrats to your boy GJ! Hope he enjoys the beastings!
myoptikakaka wrote:
If you merged this thread with the 'nay' and 'meh' threads, you could retire Bits and Bobs.

Meh.
DBSnappa wrote:
Give my congrats to your boy GJ! Hope he enjoys the beastings!

Thank you. :)
Alarm wrote:
throughsilver wrote:
Alarm wrote:

Terrorvision came back.

See?

They've reformed quite a few times but sadly haven't recorded any new material.

They probably know something you don't. ;)

It's been many years since 'My House' and 'Discotheque Wreck'.
We ordered our sexy new kitchen yesterday. Yay! Just waiting for a call from the fitting company to sort out a date to install it. :D

Sexy kitchen will make my stupid Hobbit house on the 'hood better until we can afford to move. And it has a dish washer and a double oven so I can grill & oven cook AT THE SAME TIME!! Woo! Bacon & cakes for everyone :)
Yay indeed! Are you going for the umm, pink colour for the walls?
That's most excellent news Ange! :)
I can confirm that new kitchens are awesome. I still look at ours and marvel at the difference it makes to the house.

Also: Heating.
DavPaz wrote:
I can confirm that new kitchens are awesome. I still look at ours and marvel at the difference it makes to the house.

Two things which my house doesn't have yet :S
DavPaz wrote:

Yeah we got a new boiler last year, also have a new kitchen inbound. Not looking forward to transforming the house into a building site again, though.
kalmar wrote:
Yay indeed! Are you going for the umm, pink colour for the walls?

Yep. It's more dark pink/purple though. And I'm only painting 2 walls that colour which will mostly be covered by cabinets so it's not going to be too "in your face". And if I can't have a bit of a crazy coloured wall thing in my otherwise very sensible kitchen (black work tops, white units & grey slate flooring) when I'm still in my 20s when can I?
Page 4 of 206 [ 10273 posts ]