cheap flights
arent, actually.
I am looking at booking a little suprise break type thing.
Jet2 are ok, ive used them before.

However, they are currently advertising cheap flights inclusive of all taxes and charges. great! £15 return to amsterdam, awesome. only. not. its £128 once they add the tax.

it says in black and white ALL TAXES AND CHARGES INCLUDED

whats going on here?

edit - just found the * and its says this:
* Payment card fees and fuel supplement may apply. Also individual bag charges (if you are travelling with checked/hold baggage)

thats fine...but surely they dont add up to £90+ of TAX that it says Is NOT APPLICABLE cos its INCLUDED

AAARGH cunts
just as I was getting excited :droool:
Gimme your dates and departure/destination airports.
LaceSensor wrote:
I am looking at booking a little suprise break type thing.
Jet2 are ok, ive used them before.

However, they are currently advertising cheap flights inclusive of all taxes and charges. great! £15 return to amsterdam, awesome. only. not. its £128 once they add the tax.

it says in black and white ALL TAXES AND CHARGES INCLUDED

whats going on here?

edit - just found the * and its says this:
* Payment card fees and fuel supplement may apply. Also individual bag charges (if you are travelling with checked/hold baggage)

thats fine...but surely they dont add up to £90+ of TAX that it says Is NOT APPLICABLE cos its INCLUDED

AAARGH cunts
just as I was getting excited :droool:

What a bunch of bastards.
details are here Richard

May 31st Leeds Bradford to Paris CDG T3
June 4th the return flight

think the flights were £4.99 and £9.99 or something silly
I'll run a search through my S00per Seekrit Uber Search Engine tomorrow on those dates, see if there is something cheaper.
just dont understand why they add taxes when it says its included. silly.
It boils down to the industry jargon. "Taxes" in this context specifically means airport taxes, whereas the fuel surcharge is much newer, introduced a few years ago by the government as a green initiative. It's a tax, yeah, but a different kind of one and it's not what most people in the trade refer to as a "tax" in the context of a flight.
Heh, Paris in the spring, eh? Jet2 are the only operator that fly LBA-CDG on those dates, and I'm showing the fare as £67.80 per person, which ties in to your numbers. Our systems combine in taxes and surcharges. I'm afraid these kind of shenanigans are not uncommon from the low cost operators.

I checked out flights from Manchester but they are more expensive, just FlyBe at £101 per person. No flights from Doncaster either. I'm afraid you're pretty much stuck with the Jet2 fare. I think CDG is an expensive airport to fly into, so there aren't really any really cheap flights there (the airline always has to pay the airport taxes, even if they claim there are no taxes on the price you pay; it's a bit like those "VAT free" promotions you see in shops where the retailer is eating the cost).

Sorry feller.
Thanks for that mate.

ITs not atrocious, but not exactly the £15 it quotes (£4.99 there a tenner back)

IF it says includes and taxes and charges, why do they then add £90 of airport taxes? then £10 each bag? its false advertising.

I am not being totally naive, I know low cost airlines do this, but this particular offer blatantly states that (apart from CC charges and fuel supp) that there are no other taxes.

lying fucks.
The bags thing is fine, that's an optional service.
Dudley wrote:

If a tad annoying.

Ryanair bug me too. They added a fee for using a credit card. I thought that was fair enough, as CC companies do charge a big wedge for their use. Then they extended it to cover ALL cards.

So I have an 'optional' 3 quid charge as long as I want to pay by... any means (other than the super duper new Ryanair credit card!).

I know it's only three quid... but I'd rather they just add it to the flight cost.
Dudley wrote:

ok ok the bags is fine

but what about this fucking unexplained tax
128 quid to get to the 'dam and back seems very reasonable to me.
BA will do it for 98 quid.
Curiosity wrote:
Ryanair bug me too. They added a fee for using a credit card. I thought that was fair enough, as CC companies do charge a big wedge for their use. Then they extended it to cover ALL cards.
I was debating this in a client meeting the other week (what a fabulous work life I lead!). We think they may be breaking the terms and conditions by putting a surcharge on debit card charges. Even if they are though, it took the Office of Fair Trading years to get the new accurate pricing legislation in place[*] and even now not all the firms are compliant. Having looked at the Jet2 site just now, I doubt they are totally in alignment with the new rules. However, I can't see anywhere where they claim that all taxes are included in the £5/£10 they are claiming upfront for the fare, either.

[*] Basically they have to be much more upfront about the taxes, and should only ever really display a final sale price from the earliest stage of the passenger journey. This made a shitload of work for us.
Ah, I think I understand. LaceSensor, the second page (this one) says "all flights are one-way inc. taxes", yes? But then it says "from" and gives a price. I suspect you'll find that some very unpopular dates really do cost £4.99 after taxes, which in this case can only be explained if Jet2 are paying the taxes themselves and letting you fly at a loss[*]. However, the vast majority of the prices accrue tax. Hence when you click through to the actual reservation system you suddenly see £50 or so as the typical sort of price.

It's somewhat weaselish, I agree, but it's no worse than most firms do. I'd also counterbalance all this by pointing out Jet2 are easily your cheapest way of getting to your destination, taxes or no taxes.

[*]there are a number of complicated reasons that this would make sense. For example, airlines usually sign agreements with airports that they will fly X routes per year into it, which the airports in turn can use to sell commercial shop space inside the airport to businesses on the grounds there will likely be Y passengers per year passing through it. This can result in craziness like airlines flying empty planes or flying ringers into airports.
And one final note, in general the easiest price comparison site I've used is SkyScanner which isn't actually one of ours. Our internal tool probably beats it, and is what I used to produce the quotes above, but we don't have any websites that expose that level of detail in the data because it's quite an intensive search.
decided to go to the lake district instead.

can stay in a nice guesthouse for a bit more than the flights, cheap as they are(nt) regardless.
Whatever, dick.
myoptika wrote:
Whatever, dick.

:'(
LaceSensor wrote:
myoptika wrote:
Whatever, dick.

That is the best Dimlie, though it is sooooo sad.

I also think :( looks appropriately distressed.
I thought :( was a gurning dimlie for clubbers.
Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ]