Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Reply
Keeping up with the kids as usual, I have started watching Buffy. I have, in fact, watched the first two episodes.

It's funny, isn't it? Willow makes me laugh quite a lot.

Willow: I need to sit down.
Buffy: You are sitting down.
Willow: Oh. Good for me.

It's clearly done on a budget of £100 per episode and in the ("DVD" - Ed) I've got the background goes wonky sometimes when the camera pans, but yes, I think I might like this.

I understand that I should watch Angel at certain points as the two tie together. When should I do that?

Also - Cordilia is hot.
I never got into Angel..

I did like Buffy, well the first few series at least..
Angel didn't start until Buffy season four so don't start with Angel until then. The crossovers are quite well done though, with Buffy maybe going away for an episode then later on seeing the corresponding episode in Angel where she appears, and then back in Buffy her referencing it.

The production values get much better as it goes on but the writing is brilliant from the start. Season four is my favourite but that's because I'm a big gayer.
Er - I'm sure there is a chronology somewhere that tells you when the Angel serieses fit into Buffy. That was helpful, wasn't it?

Angel is mostly shite until the last series. Because Spike.
I can't believe we don't have a Buffy thread already!
Anyway, yes. I was going to give recommendations but realise that I can hardly remember any of it, and that's a cue to watch it again.
OTOH that means digging out the entire thing on VHS tape.. Maybe I should "legally re-purchase it on DVD" instead.
I stopped watching Buffy after season erm... 5 (? The one with the Army Base thingy) due to MrsP not being a fan (and me being a fan of the sexing). I wouldn't mind watching it again.
I really like Angel. All of it. (Except season one, obviously, which is patchy as hell as they tried to work out what the show actually was.) Angel also probably has my favourite long-term character arc in all of television.

David Boreanaz is a fantastic comic actor and very, very good at looking slightly bewildered. I think the writers realised that, as although he's perfectly decent at being I ARE SERIOUS ANGEL in later seasons he gets a lot more chances to be funny. (Which, of course, reaches a glorious crescendo during the episode Smile Time.)

Luckily, he's pretty much doing the same thing in the fucking fantastic Bones these days.

There were times when Angel was a lot better than Buffy. (Especially during season six of Buffy, which was pretty dire compared to the rest.)

Peering through the horrible grain at early seasons of Buffy is something of a trial in this HD age, but it's worth it for the writing and performances.

Overall, I couldn't choose between the two shows. Angel does have an advantage in that it once it gets going it never really goes wrong, whereas Buffy starts well and then wobbles later on. Also, Angel doesn't have Buffy in it, which is a plus, as Buffy is comfortably the worst thing about Buffy.
Dont like Buffy but I used to watch it a bit, mainly for Faith (Eliza Dushku)
Also the blonde male vampire Spike was funny.
LaceSensor wrote:
Dont like Buffy but I used to watch it a bit, mainly for Faith (Eliza Dushku)


Oh my god she's annoying.

Quote:
Also the blonde male vampire Spike was funny.


Trufax.
The Rev Owen wrote:
Also, Angel doesn't have Buffy in it, which is a plus, as Buffy is comfortably the worst thing about Buffy.


:D

Much as I hate to agree, you might be on to something there.

Angel does start well and get better though. I wouldn't watch it at the same necessarily, watch Buffy first then Angel.
One obvious episode recommendation is Hush, in season four. I think that one either was, or almost was nominated for an emmy. Body in season five is superb as well. Oh and Becoming Part one and two in season two. New Moon Rising is season four. Passion is season three.
I'll just stop actually because the best way to watch Buffy is in order. The episodes I've mentioned are memorable for being influential to the season arc but there are so many brilliant monster of the week episodes as well. Buffy is probably still my most favouritest tv series ever and although it sounds a bit sad, it was also hugely influential on the latter half of my teenage years.
What about that bit when everyone died? And Arnie's cameo? And the bit with the UFO? And the True Blood crossover?
Oh, Doublemeat Palace is a good one.
I used to watch it occasionally on BBC 2. Could never get into it.
The Rev Owen wrote:
Overall, I couldn't choose between the two shows. Angel does have an advantage in that it once it gets going it never really goes wrong, whereas Buffy starts well and then wobbles later on.


Quite. S5 onwards are much weaker than the others. Because that's where it goes emo.

Quote:
Also, Angel doesn't have Buffy in it, which is a plus, as Buffy is comfortably the worst thing about Buffy.


No, that would be Dawn.
I don't think this a spoiler but in the interest of being careful, RE: Doublemeat Palace:-
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
That is a good one and I really enjoyed it at the time however I think a part of that is because it was a return to the fun of the monster of the week style of episode and a welcome break from the angst and stress of Buffy moaning her face off about previous events.
The Rev Owen wrote:
I really like Angel. All of it. (Except season one, obviously, which is patchy as hell as they tried to work out what the show actually was.) Angel also probably has my favourite long-term character arc in all of television.

David Boreanaz is a fantastic comic actor and very, very good at looking slightly bewildered. I think the writers realised that, as although he's perfectly decent at being I ARE SERIOUS ANGEL in later seasons he gets a lot more chances to be funny. (Which, of course, reaches a glorious crescendo during the episode Smile Time.)

Luckily, he's pretty much doing the same thing in the fucking fantastic Bones these days.


Agree with this very much.

I bought my wife the Smile Time vampire Angel puppet. Offspring was terrified by it so it had to go.
You'll know when it's time to start watching Angel because the show tells you.
Grim... wrote:
Also - Cordilia is hot.

Yes.

You do know she got her baps oot for Playboy, yes?
One of my favourite lines from Buffy was Buffy, getting frustrated about beating up demons or not beating up demons or something. Again not a spoiler really but a lot of the humour is in the delivery so i don't want to ruin it!
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
"I could beat up demons 'til the cows came home. Then I could beat up the cows."
superdupergill wrote:
I don't think this a spoiler but in the interest of being careful, RE: Doublemeat Palace:-
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
That is a good one and I really enjoyed it at the time however I think a part of that is because it was a return to the fun of the monster of the week style of episode and a welcome break from the angst and stress of Buffy moaning her face off about previous events.


:this: times 100.
We actually studied Hush in the Film & TV Studies part of my media degree. Without going into spoilz, it's a very brave concept for a popular TV series and quite amazing the network were happy for it to go ahead.
Zio wrote:
We actually studied Hush in the Film & TV Studies part of my media degree. Without going into spoilz, it's a very brave concept for a popular TV series and quite amazing the network were happy for it to go ahead.


ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It was fantastically done and still freaks me out even now. From the start where Buffy dreams she is in a Professor Walsh lecture and Riley kisses her then she starts hearing the nursery rhyme. Then the horror of the gentlemens appearance and their freaky straightjacket wearing assistants. The humour of the eye rolling at the salesman cashing in with whiteboards to the next shot of the group standing with whiteboards, then Giles' frankly superb slideshow. The blood chilling horror of the gentlemen floating through town in the background then the jump of fright as one suddenly drifts past a window in the foreground and turns a smiling face to the camera *shiver* and the excitement and small seed of something when Tara makes the decision to go to Willow for help and they join hands in the laundry room. I think it is probably my all time favourite episode, with New Moon Rising another standout one for me from that series simply because it concludes the Willow/Tara dilemma.
I really likes Buffy, but I've seen the first three series and some of four. I hear it goes off the boil a bit after that, and to be honest I hate watching series when they become less awesome, even if they still are pretty good. Because I remember the awesome too well, and feel slightly disappointed.

I like the fresh, fun feel of series one. True the effects are hokey but its got immense charm. Good baddy in 'The Master' too. Series two is even better, as is three, but the first still cuts the mustard. Of series one, I think I like the episode where they're all having nightmares come true best. Willow is lovely.

Wasn't Hush in my top eleven? Or was it 13?

Most amusingly annoying character in Buffy history was Kendra. My God, that accent!
Heh, yes, she was the equivalent of JarJar Binks.

The later seasons aren't too bad. I like Xander's story arc there especially.
superdupergill wrote:
Zio wrote:
We actually studied Hush in the Film & TV Studies part of my media degree. Without going into spoilz, it's a very brave concept for a popular TV series and quite amazing the network were happy for it to go ahead.


ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It was fantastically done and still freaks me out even now. From the start where Buffy dreams she is in a Professor Walsh lecture and Riley kisses her then she starts hearing the nursery rhyme. Then the horror of the gentlemens appearance and their freaky straightjacket wearing assistants. The humour of the eye rolling at the salesman cashing in with whiteboards to the next shot of the group standing with whiteboards, then Giles' frankly superb slideshow. The blood chilling horror of the gentlemen floating through town in the background then the jump of fright as one suddenly drifts past a window in the foreground and turns a smiling face to the camera *shiver* and the excitement and small seed of something when Tara makes the decision to go to Willow for help and they join hands in the laundry room. I think it is probably my all time favourite episode, with New Moon Rising another standout one for me from that series simply because it concludes the Willow/Tara dilemma.


It's a brilliant episode to be sure, but the really brave part of the concept is that
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
there's so little spoken dialogue in it. Virtually the entire episode is played out in silence. Anyone channel-hopping that landed on it halfway through the episode would've been checking the volume control on their telly.

Plus also: the Gentlemen are some of the creepiest monsters ever to appear on a TV show.
NervousPete wrote:
I really likes Buffy, but I've seen the first three series and some of four. I hear it goes off the boil a bit after that, and to be honest I hate watching series when they become less awesome, even if they still are pretty good. Because I remember the awesome too well, and feel slightly disappointed.


You should probably make a point of watching Once More With Feeling if you only got that far.
Zio wrote:

It's a brilliant episode to be sure, but the really brave part of the concept is that
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
there's so little spoken dialogue in it. Virtually the entire episode is played out in silence.


Heh, yes well I thought that went without saying!
Craster wrote:
NervousPete wrote:
I really likes Buffy, but I've seen the first three series and some of four. I hear it goes off the boil a bit after that, and to be honest I hate watching series when they become less awesome, even if they still are pretty good. Because I remember the awesome too well, and feel slightly disappointed.


You should probably make a point of watching Once More With Feeling if you only got that far.

Another episode with fantastic lines for Willow :D
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
including such classics as "I think this lines mostly filler"
I liked Buffy. Never expected to and managed to avoid it for ages until Mrs Blucey sat me down and made me watch Season 4 of Angel which was completely brilliant. I was completely blown away by the concept of

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Jasmine. The idea that people were devoted to her from sight alone was pretty scary.


I then started Buffy from s1 and it's good - although damn it looks dated now - and it got better for a while. Spike has all the best bits of course.

The only downside was the introduction of

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Dawn. The typical whiny, scuppering-everything brat character archetype that so often turns up in American shows. Angel's son was equally bad. Dawn literally ruined every scene she was in and made seasons 5 and 6 a chore. I couldn't have cared less about her and was hoping she'd come a cropper whenever I saw her.

She was gash in 7 also but Nathan Fillion more than balanced her out.


Faith was rubbish also "five by five, B". Shut up, Idiot!
I used to watch this religiously at Uni. My house mate and I used to unplug the phone when it was on! :nerd:

Sadly though the last few series grew increasingly self gratifying and I never actually got round to watching any of the final series.
Buffy season five+ and Angel stuff:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Dawn was a good character, I thought. I don't mind her at all and I liked the dynamic. Connor was a dick, but he worked too, for the most part. The actor's very good at brattish - see also: Mad Men.
I quite enjoyed season seven after it going downhill in season six.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Especially the episode with the football jacket. The scene where Wood is sitting in his office and in the background out the window you see Buffy marching past with a rocket launcher :DD
I had a wee soft spot for Kennedy as well. Caleb was a great character, Faith was hot and it ended pretty well. Except for Anya :'(


I've actually recently started reading Buffy Season Eight, the graphic novels written by Joss Whedon and his natural continuation of the story.
Anya.

:drool:

Also, the Homestar Runner reference in the last episode made me happier than I thought possible.
The Rev Owen wrote:
Buffy season five+ and Angel stuff:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Dawn was a good character, I thought. I don't mind her at all and I liked the dynamic. Connor was a dick, but he worked too, for the most part. The actor's very good at brattish - see also: Mad Men.


No. Also, no.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:
Dont like Buffy but I used to watch it a bit, mainly for Faith (Eliza Dushku)


Oh my god she's annoying.



Annoying in the sense that yes Ill likely never sleep with her.
But other than that I cant say I noticed anything annoying, was too busy checking her out.
Yeah I have to say I didn't find Faith annoying and rather spent most of the time wondering if she was going to take her clothes off.
superdupergill wrote:
Yeah I have to say I didn't find Faith annoying and rather spent most of the time wondering if she was going to take her clothes off.

Did you not watch Dollhouse?
DavPaz wrote:
superdupergill wrote:
Yeah I have to say I didn't find Faith annoying and rather spent most of the time wondering if she was going to take her clothes off.

Did you not watch Dollhouse?

No. Did I miss Eliza Dushku taking her clothes off?! Why was I not told!
The first episode is hanging around on the forum somewhere. Hang on.
It's a shame her body is attached to such an annoying face.

Anya, now...
She has an awesome body. Luckily, my girlfriend has a similar body. So I can always make do ;)
Grim... wrote:
The first episode is hanging around on the forum somewhere. Hang on.


I think I might have at least a few episodes on my hard drive at home, I just haven't ever started watching it. So many shows, so little time!
Dollhouse isn't very good :(
kalmar wrote:
Dollhouse isn't very good :(

You don't get to have an opinion of Whedon's stuff.
You know this.
Stop it.
You're the one that hasn't even watched Buffy yet!
Page 1 of 8 [ 393 posts ]