Buffy The Vampire Slayer
I know Tracey and one of the Blue Glove men have been in all three.
DavPaz wrote:
Badger?
Mark Sheppard was in neither Buffy nor Angel.
Grim... wrote:
I know Tracey
Ding ding ding.

Quote:
and one of the Blue Glove men have been in all three.
And again!

Two left.
Aha! I had forgotten about IMDb's crossover and overlap search.

Which found Andy Umberger. Can't see who the fifth is though.
Grim... wrote:
A quick Google suggests that Anya is an alternative spelling of 'Áine', which is indeed an Irish name.

Áine is pronounced Arn-yer. Not Anya, or anything close. Irish for Anna.

Apparently there was some Buffy around here.
I used to work for a guy called Ainle. That's all there is to the story.
Craster wrote:
I used to work for a guy called Ainle. That's all there is to the story.

GET TO THE CHOPPA, BEGORRA
Found the fifth, Michael Nagy. I know you'll all sleep easier now. (And yes, my job does suck, why do you ask?)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Badger?
Mark Sheppard was in neither Buffy nor Angel.

Yknow, I was convinced in my head that he was the master in Buffy s1. But that was another Mark
Plissken wrote:
Grim... wrote:
A quick Google suggests that Anya is an alternative spelling of 'Áine', which is indeed an Irish name.

Áine is pronounced Arn-yer. Not Anya, or anything close. Irish for Anna.

I would say that Arn-yer is relatively close to Anya in terms of pronunciation.
It's certainly closer than Rupert, for example.
I would pronounce Anya as Arn-ya. More or less.
Well, you would be weird. Or Southern, because it would be Ann-ya.

Actually, thats not fucking helping. Áine is not Anya. Look, just trust me.
Isn't it closer to Orn-ya?
Plissken wrote:
Well, you would be weird. Or Southern, because it would be Ann-ya.

Actually, thats not fucking helping. Áine is not Anya. Look, just trust me.

In what world is Arn-ya not even close to Ann-ya?

:p
Cracking quote from the episode I watched last night

Quote:
Willow - "The school paper is edging on depressing, lately. Have you guys noticed that?"
Oz - "I don't know. I always go straight to the obits."

:DD
HOW THE FUCK DID BUFFY MATERIALISE A SISTER?
Not only has the fact that Buffy is an only child been mentioned more than once throughout the show, but apparently Dawn has lived with her and her mum THE WHOLE TIME.
WHAT THE FUCK?

That's, like, continuality SMACKDOWN.
Also, Willow is a lesbian 8)
Have we transported back to ten years ago?
Aye. Explanation in the first post.
Oh, yeah. Which I've read. But that was ages ago.

Yeah, she's a lesbian. And her partner is about as bland as you can get without being the mum from the Bisto family.
Grim... wrote:
Not only has the fact that Buffy is an only child been mentioned more than once throughout the show, but apparently Dawn has lived with her and her mum THE WHOLE TIME.
WHAT THE FUCK?

It's explained, but they may as well not have bothered, because it all just goes crap now.
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:
WHAT THE FUCK?

It's explained, but they may as well not have bothered, because it all just goes crap now.

No no no - now it becomes the Buffy/Angel crossover, and leads the way to the far better Angel. So there's a saving, y'know, grace.
I quite liked Willow's girl.

Yeah, it does go a bit duff round now. But infuriatingly there's still the odd must see episode. Watching Once More with Feeling is pretty much mandatory.
"The Body" us as good an episode of anything as you will ever see. Also, Hush. Bringing Dawn in was a very ballsy move whichh I didn't mind as much as most.
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:
WHAT THE FUCK?

It has indeed been explained. Shh about it being crap. Does Riley die? I hope so. Fucking Riley.

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
No no no - now it becomes the Buffy/Angel crossover, and leads the way to the far better Angel.

It's been that for the last 44 episodes.

Mr Kissyfur wrote:
So there's a saving, y'know, grace.

That better not be a fucking spoiler >:(
GovernmentYard wrote:
Bringing Dawn in was a very ballsy move whichh I didn't mind as much as most.

Oh - I don't actually think there's much wrong with Dawn. It just rather marks the point at which the writing turns up the emo to 11.
Grim... wrote:
Fucking Riley.

Word.

Quote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
No no no - now it becomes the Buffy/Angel crossover, and leads the way to the far better Angel.

Heh. I mean that Angel goes off into his own series properly. Which is far better than Buffy.

Or have I got the timeline mixed up, and that happens earlier?

Quote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
So there's a saving, y'know, grace.

That better not be a fucking spoiler >:(

Eh? Not at all, no.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Quote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Heh. I mean that Angel goes off into his own series properly. Which is far better than Buffy.

You have. That happens at the end of S3, Dawn shows up at the start of S5. Angel leaves before The Initiative (and Fucking Riley) turn up.
Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Quote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

You have. That happens at the end of S3, Dawn shows up at the start of S5. Angel leaves before The Initiative (and Fucking Riley) turn up.

Oh, ha.

Well, there we are. It was a long time ago, to be fair.

As far as I recall, I quite enjoyed the latter few serieses of Buffy, but can't remember too much about them other than Fucking Riley and Dawn and a few other things. Actually, come to think of it, I can't remember whether I enjoyed them that much.

I'm tempted to buy the Buffies from CEX for cheaps and rewatch them all.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
Quote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

Oh, ha.

Well, there we are. It was a long time ago, to be fair.

As far as I recall, I quite enjoyed the latter few serieses of Buffy, but can't remember too much about them other than Fucking Riley and Dawn and a few other things. Actually, come to think of it, I can't remember whether I enjoyed them that much.

If you have a WONDERFONE of some kind I have Buffy and Angel converted for it and ordered right.
No, no WONDERFONE - just a laptop.
I much prefer Fucking Dawn to Fucking Riley
DavPaz wrote:

You doth protest too much.

Plus she's under age, you pederast.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'm rewatching them from Netflix at the moment, we're just slightly ahead of where Grim... is. They hold up very well, although the wide-scale world building that Whedon managed over 10 years in the Buffyverse makes me even sadder that Firefly was cancelled.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

You doth protest too much.

Plus she's under age, you pederast.

Watch Euro Trip.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
I'm rewatching them from Netflix at the moment, we're just slightly ahead of where Grim... is. They hold up very well, although the wide-scale world building that Whedon managed over 10 years in the Buffyverse makes me even sadder that Firefly was cancelled.

Glad to hear they stand rewatching given the passage of time. I did love them at the time, on the whole.

And I would imagine you're right, that rewatching it would bring the cancelling of Firefly even more into perspective as being a ridiculous idea.
Grim... wrote:
WHAT THE FUCK?

:this:
We've just watched that episode. What the actual fuck?!
It's okay. Just wait for about 160 minutes.
Hehehe, that takes me back!

At the time this first aired I was downloading it, but all my friends that watched it were on sky, so I had several months to wait to discuss it. I remember getting text messages that evening with lots of wtf???
I remember loving the fact that at the end of series four,
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
when Buffy is having her dream and is making the bed with Faith, Faith turns to her and says 'be back before Dawn'. When I rewatched it after seeing season five I got a wee shiver of excitement at how that had been dropped in there like a secret clue because I'd never really known a TV show to build stories like that. Seems a bit daft now when you have the odd TV series planning things from the first episode to the last, over a few series. but at the time I thought it was marvellous.

I don't know if I could choose a favourite episode of Buffy, but Hush(S4), The Body (S5), Once More With Feeling (S6) and New Moon Rising (S4-not because it's particularly groundbreaking in a general sense but for me at the time it was a revelation) have to be amongst the contenders.

I agree that the feel of the show changes from series 5 onwards but I think it is still good and it really lightens up again for the last series.
Gilly wrote:
when Buffy is having her dream and is making the bed with Faith, Faith turns to her and says 'be back before Dawn'. When I rewatched it after seeing season five I got a wee shiver of excitement at how that had been dropped in there like a secret clue because I'd never really known a TV show to build stories like that. Seems a bit daft now when you have the odd TV series planning things from the first episode to the last, over a few series. but at the time I thought it was marvellous.

I don't know if I could choose a favourite episode of Buffy, but Hush(S4), The Body (S5), Once More With Feeling (S6) and New Moon Rising (S4-not because it's particularly groundbreaking in a general sense but for me at the time it was a revelation) have to be amongst the contenders.

I agree that the feel of the show changes from series 5 onwards but I think it is still good and it really lightens up again for the last series.

"Conversations with dead people" springs to mind for me - one of the few where they did proper horror, and did it very nicely.
Also Gilly:

In the same conversation, or in an earlier dream chat with Faith, she also says 'Little Miss Muffet counting down from 7-3-0'. Which makes sense when you consider 730 is 2 years in days, and LMM means Dawn. Cool eh?
Gilly wrote:

She also mentions the bed is for her sister, so it's not really that subtle.
Also, it doesn't make sense that she'd know at that point. But anyway.
Grim... wrote:
It's been well established by then that
Slayers have prophetic dreams, particularly Buffy. Note that we don't know it's really Faith talking at this point -- it might just be how Buffy sees her dream.
ElephantBanjoGnome wrote:
Also Gilly:

In the same conversation, or in an earlier dream chat with Faith, she also says 'Little Miss Muffet counting down from 7-3-0'. Which makes sense when you consider 730 is 2 years in days, and LMM means Dawn. Cool eh?

I didn't notice that, I just at the time noticed the Dawn mention and obviously having by then seen series 5, it was easy to pick up on.
Grim... wrote:
She also mentions the bed is for her sister, so it's not really that subtle.
I think it was subtle enough that watching the end of series four you wouldn't expect what happened at the end of series 5, episode 1! My point was that at that time, watching that show I thought it was marvellously clever and like a wee secret being shared with people who liked it enough to watch it again and again. Like Joss Whedon was winking at you and saying, look, I showed you! I'm sure there are more and probably better examples of clues of future happenings but I can't think of any offhand.

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
It's been well established by then that
Slayers have prophetic dreams, particularly Buffy. Note that we don't know it's really Faith talking at this point -- it might just be how Buffy sees her dream.

Also, this. With it being a dream episode though, when you watch it for the first time without knowing what's coming I think you just dismiss any weird stuff as being part of the dreamscape. Like the man with the cheese. So when a sister is mentioned, you think that maybe it means Faith and you don't look anymore into it.

lol, sorry. My spoiler tags are pretty messy!
Whedon is on the record as saying that
the man with the cheese
is the only thing in that entire episode that doesn't have a deeper meaning. Having rewatched it recently, he's right, there's tons of stuff going on.

The show is generally excellent at foreshadowing. For example, S5 is laced with hints towards S6's big bad...
Dark Willow, I mean. There's increasing incidents of Willow using magic for inappropriate things. Last night I watched the one where Dawn wants to raise Joyce from the dead; Tara disapproves but Willow nudges her towards the book she needs. There's also some seemingly-incidental dialog where Willow clearly doesn't understand why resurrection is a bad idea.
Don't read that one, Grim....
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Whedon is on the record as saying that
the man with the cheese
is the only thing in that entire episode that doesn't have a deeper meaning. Having rewatched it recently, he's right, there's tons of stuff going on.

The show is generally excellent at foreshadowing. For example, S5 is laced with hints towards S6's big bad...
Dark Willow, I mean. There's increasing incidents of Willow using magic for inappropriate things. Last night I watched the one where Dawn wants to raise Joyce from the dead; Tara disapproves but Willow nudges her towards the book she needs. There's also some seemingly-incidental dialog where Willow clearly doesn't understand why resurrection is a bad idea.

Oh, that reminds me GRIM... DON'T READ, S6 SPOILERS UP TO THE END OF SERIES.

Tabula Rasa is another excellent episode as well. The middle section when they are all under its influences is brilliant with some great laugh out loud moments, but then the end is so sad :'( I was so happy when I saw Seeing Red near the end of the series, until the end :'( :'( that's the one where Warren turns up in the garden.
A Buffy recommendation from me: don't read the comic books. Ugh. It's only season 8 in the sense of rubbish fan-fiction. The Buffy comics are the thing that make me oddly glad Firefly didn't continue in comics. (Well, that and the rubbish Firefly comics. What is it about continuing Whedon properties in print?)
I'm still going!
The Body is now competing with Hush and Superstar for Best. Buffy. Evar!

And Cordelia has had a haircut in Angel, and I don't like it. However, there's been some serious fan-service!
Also, Shonda Farr (April the robot) may have taken the "hottest chick in Buffy" award away from Faith.
Page 4 of 8 [ 400 posts ]