Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Craster wrote:
Angel is mostly shite until the last series. Because Spike.

Spike has shown up in Buffy - he's the current antagonist. I've yet to be impressed, however.
Quite right too. I'm now considering watching it again. But that would mean finding my VHS player and digging out the huge stack of tapes from wherever they're stashed.
You call yourself a geek?
You could get them from the Darknet 'o Doom...
I wonder if they're on usenet..
Grim... wrote:
Spike has shown up in Buffy - he's the current antagonist. I've yet to be impressed, however.

You will be. Watch a bit more and I'll tell you a fun fact about the character.

If you started watching this in September why are you only midway through season 2? Also, the Annointed One is a pussy. Trufax.
Spike's great. He becomes a much more complex character later on although I thought he was utterly wasted in Angel.

The backstory bits for him and Angel are good also.

I've been watching The Vampire Diaries. After three or four episodes of Twilight-esque emo it evolves into a phenomenally fast-paced show with lots of brutality and 'cool' bits.

Also, where Buffy has one 'big bad' per series. This show goes through entire story arcs in like two or three episodes.
Blucey wrote:
I've been watching The Vampire Diaries. After three or four episodes of Twilight-esque emo it evolves into a phenomenally fast-paced show with lots of brutality and 'cool' bits.

I saw S1 of that on DVD for £7 recently. I tweeted asking if it is any good, as I'd never seen it. All responses were negative, including one that went something like" Dude, no. wtf?" :)

So forum, is it any good? Having read about it, it does sound like Twilight: the series.

As for Buffy, I did intend on watching it all when the Beeb repeated it from the beginning several years ago. I watched and enjoyed the first two episodes, then they messed up the broadcast days/times because of the snooker and I missed episode three and never watched it again.
Alarm wrote:
So forum, is it any good?

Dude, no. WTF?
It takes a few eps to get into its stride but it's really very good.

A lot better than Being Human US which may as well be called Being A Dislikable Twat. Tried that yesterday and gave up after two eps.
Apparently, Being Human US actually starts getting good around ep 4, which is more than can be said for the disastrous third run on BBC3. The first two series shocked me in various ways; the only shocking thing about the third series is how utterly dull most of it has been.
WTF Eliza Dushku?
So there's this TV show, right, with Sarah Michelle Gellar, Alyson Hannigan, Charisma Carpenter and Eliza Dushku all playing schoolgirls!

HOW THE FUCK AM I TWELVE YEARS LATE TO THIS PARTY?
5x5 G.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Just wait for evil willow
I'm also excited that it's moving to widescreen next series!
Eliza Dushku is without doubt the hottest thing about Buffy. She just cuts about all the time being a bit moody and aggressive wearing White vests. :droool:
I have some doubt, I reckon Cordelia is hotter.
Cordelia is prettier, Faith is hotter.
Gilly wrote:
Eliza Dushku is without doubt the hottest thing about Buffy. She just cuts about all the time being a bit moody and aggressive wearing White vests. :droool:

This i agree with, this is also why dollhouse is great.

However, Ms Dushku could really do with some hips...
Craster wrote:
Cordelia is prettier, Faith is hotter.

Cordelia also has nipples that will take your eye out, if Playboy is any judge.
Trooper wrote:
Gilly wrote:

This i agree with, this is also why dollhouse is great.

However, Ms Dushku could really do with some hips...

She is in Buffy? 8)

I will admit that I picked up the Tru Calling box set because she is in it. Well, that and because for £5 it would be rude not to. Only watched the first episode so far.
Alarm wrote:
She is in Buffy? 8)

"I sure am!"
Man, this forum is losing nerd points all over the place in this thread! How can Buffy have passed so many of you by?
So, Buffy season 4.
Yay: Widescren!
Boo: Where the fuck is Cordelia?

Also, apparently I should now be watching Angel, but I don't have any on my phone :(
If you're going to be precise about it, you're going to have to interleve Buffy and Angel. There's a couple of mid-season crossovers that will only make sense if you watch them in the exact order of their airdates.

Hah -- I checked and http://epguides.com/Angel/ and http://epguides.com/BuffytheVampireSlayer/ -- I hadn't realised the shows aired on the exact same day, despite being on different networks!
Yeah, I've got a list.
Trooper wrote:
5x5 G.

Fixing your spoiler
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Just wait for evil lesbian willow/vampire lesbian willow hitting on herself
I have never seen Buffy, but Grim...'s clip there makes it look awful. Is it really that poor, or is that a joke?
Yup, it's that bad.
I didn't bother with Angel, you don't miss much.
I remember everyone seemed obsessed with Buffy around the time I was at University, but I never had a TV and didn't bother to catch up in later years. If I had known there were people in costume store dog suits... 8) I'd have wondered at the popularity at the time.
I thought it was a lot of fun at the time (caveat: apart from season six, which is almost entirely shit, and half of season seven, which is worse), along with Angel (until they visit Pylea, which is terrible, and the entire Jasmine arc made me want to hurt the show runner). Some bits don't stand up terribly well, but it's still something me and Mrs G rewatch now and again. And every now and again, Buffy was also capable of the most amazing fantasy television around, such as in the Hush episode.

EDIT: Also, avoid the Buffy comics if you're a fan of the show—they're, by and large, mediocre at best.
Craig is again spot on.
I quite liked the Pylea thing.
Craster wrote:
Craig is again spot on.

Seconded. Although...
kalmar wrote:
I quite liked the Pylea thing.
Oh my - just saw the sissy-fight between Harmony and Xander, where they were slapping at each other and pulling each other's hair - all shown in slow motion with exciting "battle" music playing. Excellent!
Angel was worthwhile purely for Smile Time. And I liked it anyway. Apart from Conor.
BikNorton wrote:
Angel was worthwhile purely for Smile Time. And I liked it anyway. Apart from Conor.

Conor was the typical surly youth fucking it up for everyone else character. Like Dawn in Buffy. Total fucking irritant.

That said, his one-off episode in s5 was really good because he'd become quite a good kid by then.
I've never seen the last series of Angel because Conor / the Jasmine storyline pissed me off so much. Hmmm. Possibly that's something to rectify on the Royal Weeding Bank Holiday when I'm trying to avoid broadcast TV for the entire day.
The last series is light years better than all the others.
Rodafowa wrote:
I've never seen the last series of Angel because Conor / the Jasmine storyline pissed me off so much. Hmmm. Possibly that's something to rectify on the Royal Weeding Bank Holiday when I'm trying to avoid broadcast TV for the entire day.

I didn't even entertain the idea of watching Buffy until I saw a Jasmine episode of Angel. I thought the concept was absolutely amazing and terrifying. People falling under her spell from just seeing her on the telly and then a small handful of people not getting it and being hunted. Excellent.

That's what made me go back and watch Buffy and Angel in the correct order. If anything I thought s5 of Angel was much worse.

Buffy s7 was great for one obvious reason: Nathan Fillion. Everything after her mum died was just bleak and rubbish. Spike was good value, if a bit rapey, but everything else was depressing. Evil Willow v The Trinity or whatever they called themselves was good for comedy value though.
The concept was great. The execution, not so much. Having to fight back the urge to bellow "FUCK OFF! JUST FUCK THE FUCKING FUCK OFF!" at Conor every time he appeared on-screen probably didn't add to my appreciation of the storyline, mind.
Rodafowa wrote:
The concept was great. The execution, not so much. Having to fight back the urge to bellow "FUCK OFF! JUST FUCK THE FUCKING FUCK OFF!" at Conor every time he appeared on-screen probably didn't add to my appreciation of the storyline, mind.

That I can completely relate with.

Still at least Wesley had become an immense badass by then.
OH GOD, THAT WESLEY.

Also, Hush was pretty fucking good.
Grim... wrote:
OH GOD, THAT WESLEY.

Also, Hush was pretty fucking good.

Hush is excellent and managed to be proper scary the first time I saw it. Oh, plus Willow meets Tara.
Watched about 40 episodes of this over the last week while I was off work sick (last one was The Zeppo, halfway through season 3, where the Scoobie Gang are stopping the apocalypse but we actually follow a tiny side-story featuring Xander instead).

I'd forgotten how thoroughly excellent the show is. However, when you take all the clever directions and expansions and twists that Whedon figured out for the Buffyverse, it makes me even more fucking annoyed that Firefly was cancelled after one season.

Edit -- also, spotted the guy who plays the lawman in the first episode of Firefly as a one-off in Buffy. Intriguingly, the Buffy Wikia says he is one of only five actors who has roles in Buffy, Angel, and Firefly. I'm struggling to name the other four. Anyone have any ideas?
Page 3 of 8 [ 400 posts ]