AVG 8
Forced update-me-do
Just a heads up for fans of AVG.

Shortly you will have to install v8. Beware! I've had a few problems with it this morning.

Basically manually remove v7 before you install v8. I left the setup to it's own devices (as previously) and ended up with a mashed up v8 install that refused to work. The only way to fix it all was to go into safe mode and remove the whole sorry mess. You need to remove v7 before you even click on the v8 exe.

Oh, and refuse the security toolbar it offers during install. Apparently that's fucked as well.

Ho hum.
We need a not-AVG RMD.
Yep, I'm about ready to throw it out the window anyway.
MrD wrote:
We need a not-AVG RMD.

I use AVAST

I love it

Malc
MrD wrote:
We need a not-AVG RMD.

Indeed. The new version seems OK at the moment though, but I can't help feeling it's all going to be downhill from now on. They certainly seem to be becoming more "pushy".

It does seem to be hogging 41 meg at the moment which doesn't seem as lean as usual. Hmmmm.
Yeah, at work we've just bought a vast license for NOD32, because of AVG 8 basically. Although, we're moving to another one in six months. Sigh.
Had no problems replacing AVG 7.5 to 8 at home but we're nosing at the upgrade for the network edition here at work and it looks like that'll take a bit more effort.
I use and recommend nod32 pretty much exclusively. Benchmarks often show it's detection rates outstripping AVG, and from personal use I know it doesn't murder machines like Macaffee or Norton.
Is it free or licensed?
NOD32 is a paid-for one.

I use Avira on my main machines (Paid version, promotional offer - there's a free version though), and NOD32 on the laptops where the performance is needed.
+ another 1 for NOD32
chinnyhill10 wrote:
You need to remove v7 before you even click on the v8 exe.

Just to add that when I installed 8 it uninstalled 7.5 as part of the process. I had to reboot before it would let me download any updates for 8 though.
devilman wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
You need to remove v7 before you even click on the v8 exe.

Just to add that when I installed 8 it uninstalled 7.5 as part of the process. I had to reboot before it would let me download any updates for 8 though.

This is what I did at first, but it went wrong and 7.5 didn't clear properly.
I just uninstalled AVG when it started popping up ads constantly.

I now don't use anti-virus because it hadn't detected anything in years and I'm not stupid enough to open attachments.

At work we mandate NOD32.
I've updated multiple 7.5s with 8 no problem - some network edition (with the new network edition), some free (with my paid-for 3-pack, which I had to repeatedly submit support requests for because my full 2 year license email never arrived).

AVG doesn't pop up ads constantly - 7.5 free and network editions didn't, 8 paid-for doesn't. So what I mean is maybe the free version of 8 does, but the others don't. Did you mean the free version of 8?

chinnyhill10 wrote:
It does seem to be hogging 41 meg at the moment which doesn't seem as lean as usual. Hmmmm.

That's a failing in the way Task Manager reports memory usage - apparently what it's doing is memory-mapping a large file and sharing that ~10MB map between multiple processes, so only a small amount of that is actually in memory at any one time, unless you have shit-tons of spare memory in which case it may all be, but only until you start running out.
BikNorton wrote:
AVG doesn't pop up ads constantly - 7.5 free and network editions didn't, 8 paid-for doesn't. So what I mean is maybe the free version of 8 does, but the others don't. Did you mean the free version of 8?

The free version of 7.5 has been doing it for some time.
Dudley wrote:
BikNorton wrote:

The free version of 7.5 has been doing it for some time.

yep, my free copy of 7.5 has recently started popping up adverts for version 8. but I assume they'll disappear once version 8 is installed.
I don't and haven't had any anti-virus protection for years, although just out of curiousity, piqued by this thread, I did an online scan today with Trendmicro. No infections.

Not really a massive surprise, I'm quite good at not opening dodgy files, and I don't frequent any dodgy websites. I keep my system patched, and evidently haven't succumbed to the bad luck of being infected by something not-yet-fixed.
I use Bullguard and I heartily recommend it! I've had a few problems in the past but their 24 hour a day instant messaging helpline thingy is great! I even spoke to a girl* last time!

*May not have been a real girl as the name was Swedish but it sounded female like
Was it Bjergen Kjergen from Knuergen near the Bjoergen Fjords?
In my last job they had the fully-paid up corporate edition of AVG... and it was just as shit. When it decided your PC needed a scan it would slow to a crawl of such epic proportions that everyone just cancelled the scan thus defeating almost the entire point of having AVG in the first place.
Isn't that why you schedule scans for 2am?

I would never run a full scan using any product when the person's actually trying to use the machine.

On-access scans, of course, are a different matter.
TheVision wrote:
I use Bullguard and I heartily recommend it! I've had a few problems in the past but their 24 hour a day instant messaging helpline thingy is great! I even spoke to a girl* last time!

You spoke to a girl on the phone? For some of our posters that is practically sex. :attitude:
Grim... wrote:
Was it Bjergen Kjergen from Knuergen near the Bjoergen Fjords?

Hmmm, Knuergen..... that's a Klargan provincey of the Bibeurgen river.
Looks like the Linkscanner within AVG 8 is causing a few problems. I assumed that it just looked up the URLs on a search page against an internal database of dodgy sites but it actually visits each link on your behalf.
I've disabled that, and also the bit where it asks AVG about sites, because they add lag everywhere. I've still got the IM scanning turned off because it breaks MSN (I don't know if they've fixed that yet). I'm considering turning the Firewall off as well.

Something has added a couple of minutes of such heavy hard-disk thrash to a boot that the system is utterly unusable, not just very slow. I think that's AVG's fault too. I'm regretting buying the licence.
Page 1 of 1 [ 27 posts ]