Fentimans
and other soft drinks
I'm trying my first bottle of Fentimans cola. It needs to be twice as fizzy. Unless my bottle is just unusually flat or something, this is a deliciously fragrant, very 'balanced' sweet flavour... but it has absolutely no bite. It's missing something at the 'end' of the taste.

I didn't order iconoclasm with my soft drink order but well, there it is. It's So Nearly Really Good But Ultimately Erm, Isn't. Sez I.
I can imagine that one in McDonalds.

"Would you iconoclasm with that?"
CUS wrote:
I'm trying my first bottle of Fentimans cola. It needs to be twice as fizzy. Unless my bottle is just unusually flat or something, this is a deliciously fragrant, very 'balanced' sweet flavour... but it has absolutely no bite. It's missing something at the 'end' of the taste.

I didn't order iconoclasm with my soft drink order but well, there it is. It's So Nearly Really Good But Ultimately Erm, Isn't. Sez I.

You did up end it before drinking it right?
I think so, although "up end it" or whatever it is on the bottle is a bit... crap. Tell me what should be done please, that I may decide whether or not I did it right.
CUS wrote:
I think so, although "up end it" or whatever it is on the bottle is a bit... crap. Tell me what should be done please, that I may decide whether or not I did it right.

Basically Fentimans has alot of sediment in it due to the way it's made. So you need to make sure the drink is nice and mixed before drinking it. So by turning the bottle upside down a couple of times, the drink gets mixed.
Before opening it, right? If so, yep, I did that. Didn't shake it up, but gave it a good 180 degree tip up once or twice, before opening and pouring it.
CUS wrote:
Before opening it, right? If so, yep, I did that. Didn't shake it up, but gave it a good 180 degree tip up once or twice, before opening and pouring it.

Then all is well.
If it had just a leeeeetle more kick, it'd be spot-on. But it's kind of disappointingly weedy, as delicious as it undoubtably is. A touch more fizz, a touch more ginger. Maybe.
CUS wrote:
If it had just a leeeeetle more kick, it'd be spot-on. But it's kind of disappointingly weedy, as delicious as it undoubtably is. A touch more fizz, a touch more ginger. Maybe.

Keep in mind it flavour can vary from batch to batch due to the way it's made. I've had occasonal bottles that have tasted quite weak.
Your mouth is broken CUS.
Your **** will be broken in a minute young man.
Self-censorship! I hope this extends to every noun you use in future.
I'm just being nice to the birthday boy. I'd have thought even a stupid **** like you would have realised that. Maybe a little less time playing with your **** and **** and you'd have known that.
Never saw the fuss over Fentiments. I duly tried it a couple of times but never thought of it as more than an expensive, average-tasting cola. The other flavours I've tried were fairly ming, too.
Whole Earth Cola > Fentimans.
I heartily endorse this product.

CUS wrote:
I'm just being nice to the birthday boy. I'd have thought even a stupid **** like you would have realised that. Maybe a little less time playing with your **** and **** and you'd have known that.

Now add verbs, adverbs, pronouns and adjectives to this list.

You can keep conjunctions, however.
I get a little bottle of Curiosity Cola once a week or so. It's expensive, but tasty. :hat:
Dudley wrote:
Whole Earth Cola > Fentimans.

Whole Earth Cola? :attitude:

Let us never speak your homosexual cola again.
AceAceBaby wrote:
I get a little bottle of Curiosity Cola once a week or so. It's expensive, but tasty. :hat:

I heartily endorse this comment. :this:
Actually, despite my name I have never tried it.

Oh, the ironing.
Fentiman's D'n'B is awesome.
Fentiman's anything is amazing. They rool. CUS is broken.
Hey, I only said it lacks kick! I'm in no way disputing the flavour, colour or smell, which are all magnificent.
It's not supposed to be fizzy, though, is it? Traditional pop of all stripes was not as fizzy as today's carbonated drinks, by dint of not being carbonated.
Fizzy drinks suck.
Craster wrote:
Fizzy drinks suck.

Aspall's cider(/cyder) disagrees with you.
Mr Chris wrote:
It's not supposed to be fizzy, though, is it? Traditional pop of all stripes was not as fizzy as today's carbonated drinks, by dint of not being carbonated.

You're a big raw meat fan then, I take it?

I have tasted colas that had a lovely kick but lacked for taste. Fentimans is on the other side of the fence, but neither have crossed it, it seems to me.
CUS wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

You're a big raw meat fan then, I take it?

An entirely erroneous analogy, Mr CUS. -10 banana tokens.

Complaining that traditional cola isn't fizzy is like complaining that ready salted crisps don't taste like salt and vinegar.

Quote:
I have tasted colas that had a lovely kick but lacked for taste. Fentimans is on the other side of the fence, but neither have crossed it, it seems to me.

Someone considering that Fentiman's Cola is anything less than cola-ry perfection is a sign of a damaged palate/and or mind. Sorry. Them's the facts.
Mr Chris wrote:
Fentiman's anything is amazing. They rool. CUS is broken.

Their lemonade is horrible, and their cans of shandy were nothing special.
The cola and ginger beer is ace, though.
Genuine real chemical sugar laden Coca cola is the king of all sodas IMHO
CUS wrote:

Fentimans, chilled to zero degrees is lovely. Indeed I have one now. When you open the bottle a bit of the liquid in the neck freezes.

Taste varies slightly from bottle to bottle.

I'm not mad on their other drinks although I am told their shandy is tops. The Orange is "interesting" but I'm not that keen.

Worse thing ever is buying the D+B thinking it was cola and then drinking it. Won't make that mistake again.
LaceSensor wrote:
Genuine real chemical sugar laden Coca cola is the king of all sodas IMHO

Well no, the king of all soda is Mountain Dew but we're talking cola.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Fentimans, chilled to zero degrees is lovely. Indeed I have one now. When you open the bottle a bit of the liquid in the neck freezes.

Taste varies slightly from bottle to bottle.

I'm not mad on their other drinks although I am told their shandy is tops. The Orange is "interesting" but I'm not that keen.

Worse thing ever is buying the D+B thinking it was cola and then drinking it. Won't make that mistake again.

Ben Shaws in my home village used to make delicious Dandelion and Burdock, but they got bought out and they cheapened the recipe. If you can find some quality stuff, it's utterly lush in my opinion. D&B brand is rank, though.
Dudley wrote:
Well no, the king of all soda is Mountain Dew but we're talking cola.

It really is. Dudley, is it normal to get this constant craving for the stuff now? It really is Slurm, isn't it?
It's highly addictive!

I've got one of my awesome arabic bahrain cans left.

Which were 13p each. *sobs*
I all-too-regularly find myself paying extortionate prices importing Mountain Dew across from the states. Help me, guys*.

*help will be duly declined. I fucking love the stuff.
I tempted to order 1 whole can from Cybercandy now. Where do you use for your importing Nyn?
I go into Cybercandy's shop and pay £1.15, which isn't too too hideous considering. They'll do you a case for much less per can.
Yeah, pound a can for the case. Tempted to try some of the Altoids different flavours too, but I notice they're much cheaper to buy direct from Altoids themselves albeit in cases of 12.
Dimrill wrote:
Where do you use for your importing Nyn?

I tend to use American Soda. Okay, they do the importing, and I buy it from them, but the extortion was correct — £19.97 for 24 cans, plus hefty postage for the sheer weight.
Opened my reserve bottle of Fentimans, and hmm, it might just be my imagination but it does seem noticeably more fizzy. I 'up-ended' it as I did before. It's good, perhaps I'm just too spoiled by years of drinking Cherry Coke. Which I still really like.

That American Soda deal is too much... it's too much. Of course it is. Don't be stupid CUS. I could sell a kidney - Jesus, will someone please come over here and take my credit card off me? The slurm has me!

ZOMFG! They have Bawls! I love Bawls! Even at um, £13 for 6 bottles (!!!) maybe.

Cherry Pepsi - Pepsi don't often do variations do they? Yeah. It's not good. I'd drink if if really thirsty, but not by choice.

Mountain Dew Code Red on the other hand, IS good. Must get some. Along with of course Mountain Slurm classic.

They also sell Baby Ruth bars for anyone with a grumpy freak locked up in their house.

Pay Day - I don't remember for certain, but I think this is the one that's basically the AMERICAN STAR BAR. I'm pretty sure it was this, but 90% of American chocolate bars are 90% peanuts. It's very confusing.
Quote:
Cherry Pepsi - Pepsi don't often do variations do they? Yeah. It's not good. I'd drink if if really thirsty, but not by choice.

I really didn't like this, like a lot of american fizzy drinks it's utter spoiled by the obvious taste of HFCS. Strangely Mountain Dew seems immune to this, although my Bahraini cans were made with proper sugar :D

Code Red is superb too.

It appears the shipping on their 3 for 2 deal is still £5.

So that's £45 for 72 cans. That's near UK Coke prices. And they take PayPal.
I'm saddened that there has yet to be any love for Vanilla Coke. It was like cream soda, but less good than cream soda. Which, to be fair, almost anything except ginger beer is. So, overall - Vanilla Coke - 8/10.
Dudley wrote:

Shut up, man! I've spent too much this week.
shuuutuuuup Duuuuudley! Really, please, I need to drink less soda anyway. Coo. 3 for 2 deal, where?
http://www.americansoda.co.uk/uk/Americ ... for-2.aspx

It's only on Slurm classic, I didn't go through to actually paying but the screen before it sent me off to paypal said the same postage.
Hah, yes! Yeees! I almost caved then, but fortunately the site is down for maintenance now.

edit: But Dudley's link works. Shut up, Dudley!

edit edit: Oh, the site is down for maintenance if you leave off the www. - it's fine, otherwise.

edit edit edit: Fucksake, Dudley. 72 cans are on their way now. You suck!
Just found these people on eBay who claim free delivery with orders over 49 quid: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/American-Food-Shop
Dudley wrote:

62p a can for Coke? I'll stick with my 20p a can Pepsi from Lidl thanks.
Page 1 of 3 [ 115 posts ]