Camera gear
The 50mm prime is designed for FX so on my body is probably around 75mm, the 35mm should be 35mm spot on as it's designed for a DX sensor.

At least, I think that's right.

And yeah, forgot there was a camera gear thread. Splittage please mods ;)
GazChap wrote:
The 50mm prime is designed for FX so on my body is probably around 75mm, the 35mm should be 35mm spot on as it's designed for a DX sensor.

At least, I think that's right.

I'm also wondering if a 60mm FX macro would have a greater working distance on a DX body. The 60mm and 85mm Nikkor Micro(sic) lenses have really small working distances, more suited to set up shots on tripods and rails. My heart is set on the 105mm as it sounds perfect for what I want, but it's bollock crunchingly pricey.

It would save me a shitload if so.
Zardoz wrote:
Been looking into cheaper options for macro shots and I like the sound of a Nikon 4T Close up filter.

But it seems that no one in the UK wants to sell me one! :'(

WTF

Did you ever find anywhere selling these? I'm after one and they seem to be rarer than hens teeth.
No, I never found one. I'm going to save for a dedicated lens now I think. If I do ever see any I'll let you know.
My macro dreams are almost within my grasp. Seen the very highly regarded Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di for sale at £259 (almost £100 cheaper than most places).

But the Nikon whore fan boy that's developed in me is saying, hang on spennnnnd mooooooore! The problem is that the 105mm is £600! There's Nikons 60mm and 85mm lenses too but I think the working distances would be too small for my bug pics and they're still about £100 more than the Tamron...

*buys scratch cards*
I say buy it mate. Nikonians.org say its ace.

Quote:
The Tamron 180mm macro has achieved a reputation as being one of the sharpest macro lenses on the market. The new 90mm optic matches the 180 in this respect.

The bokeh of the Tamron is beautiful. (Bokeh is the quality of rendering of the out-of-focus elements of an image). All the new Tamron Di lenses I have tried have had excellent bokeh, and this is obviously a priority with the Tamron engineers.

Colour rendering is very slightly warm. Again, this is consistent with the other Di lenses.

Chromatic aberration is entirely absent, as far as I can discern. The Digital Integration technology definitely works on this lens.

As a portrait lens, the 90mm focal length is ideal for head shots on a digital SLR, and for half length or head & shoulders pictures on a film camera. The beautiful quality of the bokeh suits the portrait application well. However the sharpness of the lens is such that the women of my household refused permission to publish any pictures. There can be times when a lens is too sharp!
Apart from the slightly less robust feel of the full / limit switch, I really can find nothing to criticise.

The build quality is admittedly not up to that of the micro-Nikkors, but is perfectly adequate for normal use. I do not subscribe to the school of thought that cameras and lenses should be treated roughly. They are expensive precision instruments and should be treated accordingly. Given normal sensible treatment, this lens should last a lifetime. The rear element effectively seals the barrel against dust, and the deeply recessed front element is exceptionally well protected from scratches or sticky fingers.

The autofocus speed is adequate, and helped by the full / limit switch. On a more powerful body such as the D2H, focus speed is very good – and focusing locks on accurately. Optically, this lens is superb. It is Sharp with a capital S as can be seen in all samples and on this image of a Zeiss Pancolar for Exakta.

It is contrasty, but has a beautiful bokeh.

As a portrait lens, it may be too sharp.

The new Tamron is probably the best macro lens on the market, this side of a micro-Nikkor.

I'd get it. Saving for America. Saving for America. Saving for America...
Yeah, read loads about it, seen oodles flickr samples too.

Still need to save some more anyway.
The next nikon camera appears to be the D7000, which should be formally announced with tons of juicy specs sometime mid September. Possibly the 15th, people are saying, with their fingers. Next year I'm planning on upgrading my camera to a better one, selling on my beloved and still damn sexy D40x to help scrape the funds together for a new one. (Lord Rixondale's wife be interested.)

So, why am I interested in the D7000? Well, apparently it does video at 1980xsomething but I'm not terribly excited by that. It'll be nice, but I'd be perfectly happy with a slightly cheaper camera without video. As raised earlier in the thread it uses a new sensor system, excellently called EVIL, which apparently dispenses with a mirror. I have absolutely no idea what this means, but people out there sound excited. Unspecifically excited that is, they don't actually say why its exciting - possibly because they do not know themselves.

No, the thing that really interests me is the promise of very little noise at high ISO's. This is the clincher for me as I love shooting in low light and am pretty frustrated at anything above ISO 400 on the D40x. The D90 is supposed to have decent ISO handling, but the D7000 is rumoured to be on the level of a hi-end professional camera.

Even if it turns out not be quite the must buy, hopefully it will drive down prices on the lovely D90 so I can pick up one instead.

How much will the D7000 retail for? No one knows yet, but educated guesses put it at $1200 or£800. Will this America trip be the last big hurrah for my D40x? Only time, will tell.
NervousPete wrote:
As raised earlier in the thread it uses a new sensor system, excellently called EVIL, which apparently dispenses with a mirror. I have absolutely no idea what this means, but people out there sound excited.

Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens, apparently. The camera spods on another forum were all talking about it, in between moaning about Nikons unsatisfactory range of lenses for some reason.
Sounds like you've done some serious talking to yourself, go for it Pete.

I've never shot any video with my D5000, not that interested in it and tbh I forget it has the function. Think I'll be sticking with this body for quite some time yet and spending any spare cash on glass (hopefully that Tamron 90mm will be mine by October).

Could you really bring yourself to sell your D40?! You'd have to let it go with your 18-55 too, would you?
And I want a tripod too, for my macro and abstract shizzle.

What tripod do have, Pete? I've seen a Giottos 9351B Pro Tripod with MH5011 Head and a Manfrotto 190XB Tripod + 391 RC2 Head at £119.99. Both seem like good buys to me.

Bloody hell D5000 were £719.99 at launch! Never knew that.
I'd highly recommend getting a ball head, rather than the 3-axis tilty ones. They're so much quicker and easier to use.

edit: I think it's the 322RC2 I have. Very happy with it.
Yeah, I'd be selling it with the 18-55mm, but I can deal. Eventually I'd get the replacement, or if I had super-cash get a lens with the new one. The 35mm I would of course keep, as it is beautiful.

Anyway, this won't be happening until half way through next year anyway, by which time it might all be proven to be a white elephant anyway! :D
Cool they have Manfrotto one for £3 more!

Cheers mate.
NervousPete wrote:
Yeah, I'd be selling it with the 18-55mm, but I can deal. Eventually I'd get the replacement, or if I had super-cash get a lens with the new one.

Have you read up on the 18-200? Wouldn't mind replacing mine with one of those. But it's a kick in the bollocks price, and a different filter size too. It's only glass and stuff, why is it all so spendy!? :)
NervousPete wrote:
The next nikon camera appears to be the D7000, which should be formally announced with tons of juicy specs sometime mid September. Possibly the 15th, people are saying, with their fingers. Next year I'm planning on upgrading my camera to a better one, selling on my beloved and still damn sexy D40x to help scrape the funds together for a new one. (Lord Rixondale's wife be interested.)

So, why am I interested in the D7000? Well, apparently it does video at 1980xsomething but I'm not terribly excited by that. It'll be nice, but I'd be perfectly happy with a slightly cheaper camera without video. As raised earlier in the thread it uses a new sensor system, excellently called EVIL, which apparently dispenses with a mirror. I have absolutely no idea what this means, but people out there sound excited. Unspecifically excited that is, they don't actually say why its exciting - possibly because they do not know themselves.

No, the thing that really interests me is the promise of very little noise at high ISO's. This is the clincher for me as I love shooting in low light and am pretty frustrated at anything above ISO 400 on the D40x. The D90 is supposed to have decent ISO handling, but the D7000 is rumoured to be on the level of a hi-end professional camera.

Even if it turns out not be quite the must buy, hopefully it will drive down prices on the lovely D90 so I can pick up one instead.

How much will the D7000 retail for? No one knows yet, but educated guesses put it at $1200 or£800. Will this America trip be the last big hurrah for my D40x? Only time, will tell.

The D7000 won't be EVIL. That's an entirely new system that's being devised to compete with the expensive prosumer micro 4/3rds cameras made by Panasonic (GF1) and Olympus (Pen). There're no hard facts about this system as yet, but Nikon have set up a place holder page counting down to an announcement on 20 September (the day before Photokina kicks off) and there's wild speculation about what this may be.

The D7000 is due to be announced on 15 September.

Go have a rummage around http://www.nikonrumors.com
The D7000 will still be DX sized but it's using tech from the the D700 so it will have much better noise reduction at high speeds.
I spotted a seller on Ebay selling new* D60s for £269 with kit lens. Pretty good way of stepping up to DSLR if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NIKON-D60-CAMERA-18-55-LENS-DEAL-NEW-/360299278533?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item53e382b0c5#ht_2070wt_921

*Ex Argos stock, lots of unit left too.
You should watch Hot UK deals, there are some decent prices appearing on there for bodies/ lenses.
I really shouldn't.

That last post was to help others start their addiction.
Thanks Gill... :'(
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nikon-55-200mm-f-4-5-6-af-s-vr-dx-n/731192

...maybe after I've saved for my Macro I'll get one. :)

Edit: Actually, it's fairly average that lens.
Holy fuck.

http://gizmodo.com/5637382/canons-sx30- ... -zoom-lens

The Canon SX30 bridge camera has an effective focal length of 28-840mm. And that's all optical, not digital.
Nikon D7000 announcement around midnight tonight apparently.

Will be on sale next month.

New rear lens caps have been seen in the wild that seem to support the EVIL camera system being announced soon.

@ NervousPete Nikon have also announced that the D90 will remain on sale until the end of this year at least
Cheers DB!

*Champs at bit*

Also, - 840mm? Bloody hell!
That's some crazy optics, that is. My 300mm zoom is a foot long, for fuck's sake.
With that new Canon lens you'll be able to see how far ahead Nikon are.
Zardoz. I have clicked that eBay link. You FUCK.
Oh it's OK. They've run out.
Zardoz wrote:
Thanks Gill... :'(
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nikon-55-200mm-f-4-5-6-af-s-vr-dx-n/731192

...maybe after I've saved for my Macro I'll get one. :)

Edit: Actually, it's fairly average that lens.

ARGH!

I'd totally buy this, but... y'know... America! :'(
I appear to have just ordered a Tamron 90mm Macro lens.

:metul:
Zardoz wrote:
I appear to have just ordered a Tamron 90mm Macro lens.

:metul:

Awesome! When do you get it? I have been without my camera for nearly a whole month now while I wait for Jen's mum to post the battery charger back to me. Can't wait to get it back! Still hoping for a nice new lens for Christmas as well. I hope you get your new lens before all the beasties go away for the winter!
Not soon enough! They stated 2-5 working days, so sometime this week. Can't wait to try it out. The beasties are all moving indoors now anyway, Gill! There's a butterfly house up at Lancaster that I want to check out and I'll be using the macro for some more abstract stuff too. It'll be used plenty.

A month without your camera! Shame on you ;) What lens are you after?
Zardoz wrote:
Not soon enough! They stated 2-5 working days, so sometime this week.

Or Monday next week.

I can't see the pic but I'm assuming it's you posting me a cheque for £12.
That's exactly what it is.
Zardoz wrote:
Not soon enough! They stated 2-5 working days, so sometime this week. Can't wait to try it out. The beasties are all moving indoors now anyway, Gill! There's a butterfly house up at Lancaster that I want to check out and I'll be using the macro for some more abstract stuff too. It'll be used plenty.

A month without your camera! Shame on you ;) What lens are you after?

I've not been in a butterfly house since I was wee and went to one on a school trip. They took my big sister one year as well and she is terrified of butterflies for some odd reason, so stood paralysed in the huge room with butterflies landing on her hand and all she could do is cry :DD My nephew recently suggested they get a butterfly house for the garden and she looked like she might pass out!
If you start taking any macro pictures of spiderzillas be sure to warn me before I look at them!

I know it's terrible, it has reminded me how much I love it though because there have been so many times when I've went to reach for it. I want to get a zoom lens, maybe a 70-200mm or something. I'm going to look into it nearer the time but I get the feeling Jen wants to spoil me a bit this Christmas, since I barely remember anything about last Christmas what with being on quite a lot of meds and stuff. That might even be reason enough for my mum to listen to what I say want and get me a tripod as well. Then I'll be set! Any suggestions about possible lens or tripod options will be gratefully recieved!
I'm looking at tripods too, seen some reasonably prices Manfrotto & Giotto tripods on Jessops. From what Malabar has said before I'll be getting one with a ball head for convenience.
I will probably start reading reviews of various tripods and try and go from there.

I have an idea of shots I'd like to try taking just now (not necessarily with a tripod) so I hope I manage to motivate myself once I've got my battery back.
Grim... wrote:
That's exactly what it is.

Taken with my lens.
Ooh, that reminds me that I need to email you.
Quote:
Dear Craster.

You'll never believe it LOL. But I left my your lens in That London. Under a pile of £12 notes. Whoopsies

Fuck you.

Grim...
Before I eBay it / get gouged by Cex does anyone on here want to buy my Panasonic DMC-FZ28?

It's a bridge camera with good reviews and although not a patch on a decent SLR it's a handy all in one if you don't fancy carting around great big zoom lenses.

eBay prices range from £120-£150 so I'll do a Bezzie rate of £110 inc postage.

Good for taking pictures of;
Superb Meerkat.
Have you anything to compare it too?
Zardoz wrote:
And I want a tripod too, for my macro and abstract shizzle.

What tripod do have, Pete? I've seen a Giottos 9351B Pro Tripod with MH5011 Head and a Manfrotto 190XB Tripod + 391 RC2 Head at £119.99. Both seem like good buys to me.

Bloody hell D5000 were £719.99 at launch! Never knew that.

Oops! Didn't spot this before, sorry Zardoz.

Yeah, I've got that tripod. It's very good. Stable, not bothered by winds and very fast to set up with its slide and clip legs. I've got the MH5011 head as well which is pretty good. My only quibble is that unless you get the camera slotted onto the head a certain way, it's a bit hard to do a proper profile fixed shot at a certain tilted angle. It might just be me not using it right. Also, there's a variant which allows you to invert the central column and angle it so you can use it to photograph objects that are low down, such as flowers and such. A couple of times that's struck me as being handy, as I've had to dig out my Gorrillapod as well. (Which sadly I haven't found much use for otherwise)

But yes, it's a good tripod. The foam stops your hands from burning in cold weather when using it and it's very smooth and solid to operate.
Thanks for that, I'll look into them a bit more before writing to Santa.
Now then - why is that tripod better than this one?
Check out some of Calumet's own brand Tripods, their much cheaper than the Manfrotto stuff, which though good, is stupidly overpriced in this country. I used to have a 055XB pro Manfrotto and it wasn't great, if I'm honest. Their higher end stuff is very well built, but you, personally would have to be certifiable to drop >£250 on a tripod.

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/Studio/Tr ... +Monopods/

They're nearest store is Liverpool if you fancy the trip — what's that about 30 miles from you?
Grim... wrote:
Now then - why is that tripod better than this one?

Everything on it will be cheap and nasty, from the leg locks to the mount, to the finish and materials used. Plus it isn't very high with a 160cm max height, which is 5'3.33" in imperial. Having said that, if you only use tripods once every 2 years, go for it ;-)
Page 8 of 39 [ 1919 posts ]