Camera gear
Craster wrote:
Hmm. Less than chuffed with Panasonic charging £45 for a replacement battery, and chipping them so the camera refuses to use replacements from other brands.

They do the same with ink cartridges for printers, don't they? Very annoying, either way.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Gaywood has a mate who deals in batteries, I think.
Aye, I do.
http://mailorderbatteries.com/

Yep, he appears to only sell the non-Panasonic version, however.
Zardoz wrote:
Is that the cheapest you've found for them online btw?

Yeah, other than trillions of people trying to pretend their non-Panasonic batteries are the genuine article.
Email him and ask what the workaround for the Panasonic security is. Presumably there is one.

Alternatively, do you really need a second battery? My GF1 can fill its 8Gb memory card before running out of battery.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
My GF1 can fill its 8Gb memory card before running out of battery.

Is there a GF2?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Alternatively, do you really need a second battery?

Did he really need another camera?

:kiss:
Grim... wrote:
Is there a GF2?

There's a G2F
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It costs £2
Grim... wrote:
Is there a GF2?
Keep watching. There's a G2 and a GH2.
Zardoz wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Alternatively, do you really need a second battery?

Did he really need another camera?

:kiss:

:this:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Is there a GF2?
Keep watching.

I'm totally telling Fanny Stupid.
Grim... wrote:
I'm totally telling Fanny Stupid.
Oh, you mean, do I have a GF2? Nah, I wouldn't get another iteration of this model. I'm much more likely to buy the larger bodied and more featureful G2 and swap lenses between both cameras, but that's not going to happen any time soon.
Has anyone here bought from Onestop-digital.com before? Looks like they ship over from Hong Kong. I've never bought anything particularly expensive like that before...
No, sorry. Have you searched online for other peoples experiences? If they're a hateful bunch, ex customers will be ranting.
TBH when I throw down megabucks on stuff I prefer sticking with UK companies (sourcing UK stock( in case there are any issues.
Zardoz wrote:
No, sorry. Have you searched online for other peoples experiences? If they're a hateful bunch, ex customers will be ranting.

Seems like they are OK. It's only to save myself around 15 quid on a 50mm prime, which isn't all that expensive to start with anyway.
You'd probably get stung for that £15 by customs anyway.
And you'll be supporting terrorism.
GazChap wrote:
You'd probably get stung for that £15 by customs anyway.

They say they'll refund any customs charges, and people seem to verify this... But I think I'm just gonna go and buy it anyway, if I spend much more time fannying about I'll probably have wasted 15 quids worth of my time anyway (possible exaggeration).

Zardoz wrote:
Going to PC World at lunchtime to see if they have any left:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/661075/crumpler-muffin-top-5500-slr-camera

Sweet! I could do with a decent bag too. I'll try and have a look too, but I doubt there are any left though, in that thread people were talking about 8 or more being bought at a time :'(
They had LOADS of those camera bags in Preston PC World!

At the full price of £85.
Camera bag update:

Last week I did a mate a favour and updated some stuff on his cousins website, he was with me when I went looking for one of those Crumpler bags on Friday (which were full price) I spotted a rather nice Lowepro Stealth 100 bag while I was there. Which he rather kindly ordered from Amazon and brought in for me today! :luv:

Really well made bag btw, bit of a bargain at the price Amazon have them up for.
Lowe Pro bags are excellent
I can see why they would charge £85 for this one.
Zardoz wrote:
I can see why they would charge £85 for this one.

Yeah, I paid about £300 for my backpack one about 9 years ago and nothing has broken, torn or ripped or stopped working on the bag and it's really well designed and carries all of my 35mm gear (3 bodies, six lenses, one flash, one quantum battery, light meter and a ton of accessories) and has decent harnessing (shoulder and waist straps, all fully adjustable and comfortably padded) that all folds away into the padded back when you don't want to use it as a backpack and you can strap a small tripod to the back of it as well. It also has an all weather cover built in.

Basically, if you want soft bags, Lowepro are about the best you can get.

If you want hard cases, then Pelican are about as good as it gets.
When I bought my Nikon I ordered a small Lowe Pro bag with it. Just a case that covers the camera with lens attached (for when I'm out walking). Really glad I did as I only went off comments (and the price :) ) off Amazons site. Like you say, all the straps are really chunky and the padding and lining inside are really top quality. Quite glad in a way that the Crumpler wasn't on offer on Friday, and my friend got me the Lowe Pro alternative.
DBSnappa wrote:
If you want hard cases, then Pelican are about as good as it gets.

I have a Peli in the cupboard that is big enough to smuggle a child through customs. I have used it once in 2 years (not to smuggle a child through customs I hasten to add).

It seemed like such a good idea when I bought it, but in reality it's a cumbersome beast.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
I have a Peli in the cupboard that is big enough to smuggle a child through customs.

Out of interest would it house a loud Welsh nerd?
Zardoz wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
I have a Peli in the cupboard that is big enough to smuggle a child through customs.

Out of interest would it house a loud Welsh nerd?

If we chop him into bits, yes. Although please take the foam out first as I spent 2 hours cutting it into shape.

There are few things in life more pleasing that having a case full of foam stuff that you've cut to fit your kit. Someone asked me if the case I carry my radio mics in was custom made. It wasn't, it's a 20 quid job from Maplin that I slaved over to cut to shape. The Peli took much longer and made a huge mess.
It might be worth checking out a few camera magazines if you're interested in photography. Not necessarily for the knowledge within, but for their free signup gift. I waited for the right timing and managed to get a LowePro backpack worth about £150 and an Arctic Butterfly sensor cleaner worth about £70. I was so impressed with the backpack I sold my then-current LowePro one and did a complete swapover.
Is there one with a free Nikon Macro lens?
I was looking at a wide angle for my little Canon to make it look less camcorder like but my preferred supplier has non in stock. Drat.

http://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/info_80.html
Zardoz wrote:
Is there one with a free Nikon Macro lens?

Funnily enough, yes.
Hah! Thanks Safari and your lower left corner URL reveal!
Zardoz wrote:
Hah! Thanks Safari and your lower left corner URL reveal!

Hah. Knew I should have shortened it.
I have just purchased a cheap monopod and low end 58mm circular polariser for the baby Canon and a proper circular 77mm circular polariser for the big camera.

It's Summer soon so I'll use them. Done some nice shots on the Z1 with my existing 72mm one.

Monopod is for baby camera if I'm out and about.
Is this good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... CK80VY8WWA

Looking at getting a tripod that isn't too flimsy, too heavy or too spendy :) Seems cheap for what it is, am I missing something?
I should really be putting my money into paying off my camera really...

Or maybe put it towards that 35mm lens...
Malabar Front wrote:
I'm thinking of selling my EF-S 10-22mm. I can't remember the last time I used it.

£670 new these days, but only go for £510 or so used on Ebay. Hmm.

You must be insane. That lens only left my camera for the two weeks I was in the US for night shots where I needed the massive aperture of the 50mm prime. I love its face off.
Craster wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:
I'm thinking of selling my EF-S 10-22mm. I can't remember the last time I used it.

You must be insane. That lens only left my camera for the two weeks I was in the US for night shots where I needed the massive aperture of the 50mm prime. I love its face off.

It's a lovely lens, and I love it when I'm in the countryside, but I don't get chance to go there as often as I'd like. It's simply a case of not getting the use out of it these days, and while it's selling for more than I paid for it, it's difficult not to get tempted to just shift it.
Malabar Front wrote:
Craster wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:

It's a lovely lens, and I love it when I'm in the countryside, but I don't get chance to go there as often as I'd like. It's simply a case of not getting the use out of it these days, and while it's selling for more than I paid for it, it's difficult not to get tempted to just shift it.

[devil on your shoulder]
You could buy an iPad for that...
[/devil on your shoulder]
DBSnappa wrote:
[devil on your shoulder]
You could buy an iPad for that...
[/devil on your shoulder]

Fucker.

I could also get out of my overdraft.
Zardoz wrote:
Is this good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001 ... CK80VY8WWA

Looking at getting a tripod that isn't too flimsy, too heavy

Carbon fibre are the words you are looking for.

Zardoz wrote:
or too spendy :) S

Oh. :D
Yeah that's the problem.
I can understand why my Nikon lens has a switch for automatic or manual focus but why does it have a switch for image stabilisation (VR)? Surely it's always beneficial to have it on?
Not if you're using a tripod apparently.
Zardoz wrote:
I can understand why my Nikon lens has a switch for automatic or manual focus but why does it have a switch for image stabilisation (VR)? Surely it's always beneficial to have it on?

Does it not crop the image slightly, or slow the processing down? There's got to be some drawback.
It's going to be making assumptions about what you want to do. What if you're trying to do 'movement' type shots where you're eg following a car with a camera, deliberately blurring the background - you don't want it to try and compensate. Uses more battery too, I think.
Craster wrote:
It's going to be making assumptions about what you want to do. What if you're trying to do 'movement' type shots where you're eg following a car with a camera, deliberately blurring the background - you don't want it to try and compensate.

It still captures movement well with it turned on. I see your point(s) though.
markg wrote:
http://digital-photography-school.com/image-stabilization-on-tripods

Right. I'll turn it off when I get a stiffy.
Page 4 of 39 [ 1919 posts ]