The end of the UK?
We'll take a cup o' kindness
AtrocityExhibition wrote:
I take it Stu isn't on your christmas card list then Raidy?

Actually, he's made my weekend. I genuinely had no idea he deigned to read anything here (always claimed the reverse in fact), but now I know otherwise. Most cathartic. :)

Anyway, it's hardly as if you don't know I'm right on this.
Kern wrote:
It seems that, for avoidance of doubt, participation in EMU has been written into the last three accession treaties. Whether Scotland would be able to negotiate its way out of it would have to be seen, but based on the main EU treaties (above), the implication is that the default position is having to commit:

2003 Accession Treaty

Quote:
Article 4

Each of the new Member States shall participate in Economic and Monetary Union from the date of accession as a Member State with a derogation within the meaning of Article 122 of the EC Treaty.

2005 Accession Treaty
Quote:
Article 5
Bulgaria and Romania shall participate in Economic and Monetary Union from the date of accession as Member States with a derogation within the meaning of Article III-197 of the Constitution.

2011 Accession Treaty

Quote:
Article 5
Croatia shall participate in the Economic and Monetary Union from the date of accession as a Member State with a derogation within the meaning of Article 139 of the TFEU.

Many thanks Kern, much appreciated. Enlightening stuff.

Those inconvenient "facts of the matter", eh. Next?

---

Alex Salmond yesterday, quoted as saying "If it wasn't for you pesky, meddling kids, I'd have gotten away with it!" :DD
Quote:
A survey by Ipsos MORI of Scotland’s senior business community found 72 per cent thought independence would have a negative effect compared to just 13 per cent that believed there would be a benefit.
More than half (56 per cent) said separation would worsen their company’s prospects compared to only one in ten who thought it would improve their business outlook.

Quote:
The survey of 250 of Scotland’s leading businessmen is another blow to Alex Salmond’s separatist campaign, which needs to convince Scots of the supposed economic benefits of independence to succeed.
It also provides the clearest indication yet about the true opinion of the business community following claims that most are too scared to publicly speak out against independence.

Rupert Soames, chief executive of Aggreko, recently told a Lords committee many stay silent for fear of the SNP pouring “rains of bile and ire” on them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... ation.html

Still, what do fully three quarters of those 250 leading Scots businessmen know, eh readers? I bet they are all of them *shite* at Angry Birds.

'No positive case for the Union', my hairy backside.
Kindly Old Uncle Stu wrote:
If you'd like actual properly-researched and fully-sourced facts on any aspect of Scottish politics rather than some dolt repeating half-arsed cobblers they saw in the Telegraph, pop by Wings Over Scotland any time.

Rev Stu in "talking utter bollocks" shocker!

Quote:
Scottish independence: EC's Barroso says new states need 'apply to join EU'

The president of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso, has said that any new independent country would have to apply to join the EU.

The president's comments came despite Scottish ministers insisting an independent Scotland would negotiate its position "from within".

Mr Barroso told the BBC's Hardtalk programme the position was set out in clear legal terms.

Still, he's only the President of the European Commission. What does he know, eh readers?
Salmond needs to aim higher. Seems a Scot might one day be running Germany.
Regardless of who is actually correct, it looks like a complicated enough issue that it's only going to get resolved by a stonkingly long-winded and complicated court case. An independent Scotland might end up sitting in some horrid EU-limbo for a year whilst it is hammered out in some courtroom. I've no idea where this would be decided, either. A national court in Brussel or Edinburgh? Is there a court that handles this sort of thing - I don't think the Council of Europe handles it.
Kern wrote:
Salmond needs to aim higher. Seems a Scot might one day be running Germany.

LoL. Is it me, or does he look indistinguishable from Millipede in that photo? :D

Apparently he's a Glasgow Rangers supporter though, so I seriously doubt he'll avoid 'the hairdryer treatment of hatred' from you-know-who...
Squirt wrote:
Regardless of who is actually correct, it looks like a complicated enough issue that it's only going to get resolved by a stonkingly long-winded and complicated court case. An independent Scotland might end up sitting in some horrid EU-limbo for a year whilst it is hammered out in some courtroom.

And even if Scotland had expedited entry, it's still not a process that will happen in months. Also, given that various other European countries wouldn't be thrilled to see bits of them break away, there's a massive threat of veto, even when the 'rest of the UK' isn't part of the equation.
Hadn't thought of that. Spain at least ( and probably Belgium and possibly others ) has a vested interest in making life difficult for breakaway nations.
Squirt wrote:
Hadn't thought of that. Spain at least ( and probably Belgium and possibly others ) has a vested interest in making life difficult for breakaway nations.

Absolutely, as I alluded to before.

Frankly I am astonished at the forthright and absolute bluntness of the EU's intervention here. I mean, FFS, join the very thinly veiled diplomatic dots; the message is writ as large on the wall as any I have seen. Whether it's been driven by some concern about the democratic deficit being suffered by the people of Scotland in all of this (what with the SNP's obfiscation and lies as regards this subject matter), or far more likely, the interests of giant EU powers such as Spain (and the UK for that matter), as well as smaller nations also, is immaterial. The facts are the facts - deal with it.

Fuck me, it's like trying to explain to a child that Santa Claus doesn't really exist... my grandson regularly and petulantly refuses to accept reality, stomping his little feet in sheer frustration. I daresay it's quite endearing for a two year old, but a middle aged man? Not so much.

EDIT: Needless to say (surely?) my sentiments above were not directed toward Squirt...
Lord Raiden wrote:
Fuck me, it's like trying to explain to a child that Santa Claus doesn't really exist... my grandson regularly and petulantly refuses to accept reality, stomping his little feet in sheer frustration.

You try and convince your grandson that Santa doesn't exist?
8)
Grim... wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:
Fuck me, it's like trying to explain to a child that Santa Claus doesn't really exist... my grandson regularly and petulantly refuses to accept reality, stomping his little feet in sheer frustration.

8)

Fucking hell, he tries to take credit for everything doesn't our Cavey?
Grim... wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

8)

Heh, nope, far from it! I was talking about a much older child ;)

The little lad will have his note to Father Chistmas sent up the chimney (as will his slightly younger cousin); they will leave each leave a carrot, mince pie and glass of sherry out for him on Christmas Eve, and they'll have their little faces dabbed with coal dust when they wake up on Christmas morning. :luv:
Yeah, that's harsh dude.

Young Grandson : Granddad, what will I be when I grow up?
Lord Raiden : It doesn't matter. All human hope and endeavour is but ashes. You will toil and die, and then be forgotten.
YG : But...
LR : Silence! You are just an insignificant speck in an meaningless and uncaring universe. All you care for and love will ultimately decay. All that awaits you is an eternity of nothingness.
YG : :'(
LR : You are learning...
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

8)

eh? :shrug:
Squirt wrote:
Yeah, that's harsh dude.

Young Grandson : Granddad, what will I be when I grow up?
Lord Raiden : It doesn't matter. All human hope and endeavour is but ashes. You will toil and die, and then be forgotten.
YG : But...
LR : Silence! You are just an insignificant speck in an meaningless and uncaring universe. All you care for and love will ultimately decay. All that awaits you is an eternity of nothingness.
YG : :'(
LR : You are learning...

LoL. :D

But as I say, nothing could be further from the truth, sorry if that wasn't clear. :)
Lord Raiden wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

8)

No worries. it was a joke, that you were saying "Father christmas doesn't exist. it is me who takes all the toys to all the children in all the world".
MaliA wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:

8)

No worries. it was a joke, that you were saying "Father christmas doesn't exist. it is me who takes all the toys to all the children in all the world".

Ah, soz mate. :p
Dear Cavey

I would like a Mercedes Benz, my friends all have Porsches and I like to make amends..

Love

Kov
KovacsC wrote:
Dear Cavey

I would like a Mercedes Benz, my friends all have Porsches and I like to make amends..

Love

Kov

Have you been a very good boy, Kov? :p
Lord Raiden wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Dear Cavey

Love

Kov

Have you been a very good boy, Kov? :p

Ish! :kiss:
On Santa, I'm not sure how effective it'd be (and I'm not a parent myself), but I found Santa is a game people play an interesting idea on dealing with the whole Santa thing without lying to kids and encouraging them to be more materialistic. (I know I and other savvy friends pretty much kept quiet when we twigged about Santa and the Tooth Fairy, because, well, MOAR THINGZ.)
Squirt wrote:

Italy is another more significant EU state that will fight tooth and nail to prevent breakaway regions succeeding.

Belgium disintegrating a massive potential clusterfuck that the EU institutions will do everything possible to avert - because of Brussels, natch.
Hero of Excellence wrote:
Squirt wrote:

Italy is another more significant EU state that will fight tooth and nail to prevent breakaway regions succeeding.

Belgium disintegrating a massive potential clusterfuck that the EU institutions will do everything possible to avert - because of Brussels, natch.

Apparently though, according to the Cybernats, Barroso wasn't actually talking about, or thinking of, Scotland at all because he didn't actually go quite so far as to name it (er, even though he *cannot* actually do so under these circumstances), when he made his remarks? Yep, that's right readers, he must've been alluding to some *other* EU state that's about to hold a referendum on independence and this is all just some evil Unionist "spin"...

... There just comes a point where, in the face of such delusional idiocy, one simply loses the will to go on with any sort of argument here? I mean seriously, what is there to say in response to that?

Personally speaking, I find my anger and passion just leaves me, and all I'm left with is an empty, residual sense of pity. I guess they'll find out about this stuff soon enough, but in the meantime there's clearly nothing that I, or anyone else has to to say that is going to make one iota of difference.

(Incidentally, those 250 Scottish business leaders who participated in that MORI poll, see above, are also no doubt in league with David Cameron, lying through their teeth and/or are Apostates of Hell, or something?)
Quote:
Nicola Sturgeon has signalled that an independent Scotland could be forced to negotiate with the EU over the euro, border controls and keeping the UK's rebate on EU funding.

The admissions came as the deputy first minister was accused by her opponents at Holyrood of backtracking over Scotland's membership of the EU, as she noticeably she softened her stance on an independent Scotland's "automatic" right to join the union.

Sturgeon had previously insisted that an independent Scotland would immediately take up EU membership and inherit all the UK's existing opt-outs without any need to negotiate or reapply – a claim repeatedly endorsed by Alex Salmond, the first minister.

But that position appeared to have substantially changed, after the European commission's president, José Manuel Barroso, stated that any part of an existing member state which became independent must reapply afresh as a new member state.

In a statement to Holyrood demanded by opposition parties following Barroso's intervention, Sturgeon agreed that negotiations would be needed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012 ... u-sturgeon
Some quite interesting Scottish Independence poll trend data that I've not seen before:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/scottish-independence

Of particular note I think, is the proposed "new" question wording of 2012 poll data, namely 'Do you agree that Scotland should be an independent country?'

According to this site, the Yes vote has fallen from an already low base of 39% in Jan 2012 to a quite catastrophic 30% in October of this year, almost a one-quarter drop in as little as 10 months (and with the No vote at an imperious 58%, almost double), and not even allowing for the latest (November and December) 'EU Advicegate' and the EU Commission President's quite definitive, pointed (albeit supposedly generic, for reasons of diplomacy and protocol) advice. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Yes vote crash yet even further to perhaps 25% or even 20%, post these enormous debacles (not to mention the performance of Wee Eck in general, what with his previously discussed Orwellian Tippex bottle parliamentary records antics and all the rest).

The SNP can count themselves very fortunate indeed that the vote is still two years off; were it tomorrow, they'd sink without trace off the back of their recent performance in this debate (and indeed in the Scots Parliament and media in general). Notwithstanding, clawing back a 20-point (minimum) swing in their favour, possibly even more than that if I'm right about the deleterious effect on forthcoming polls, is one hell of a big ask, even in that kind of timescale - surely unprecedented? No wonder Salmond and the rest didn't want the referendum anytime soon. Courage of convictions, eh...

I honestly think also that the rise of the Cybernats is causing gross harm to the Yes campaign in general. I don't have any problem with ordinary Scots independence supporters, far from it - but just as I have little time for those at the far, intolerant extremes of Conservatism, so it is also with the Nationalists. If I were a Scottish independence supporter, I'd be asking the Cybernats, with their IMO unpleasant, aggressive, intolerant image, to put a sock in it, big time.

In other news, it's amusing to note the latest Cybernat suggestion which seems to be that the whole threat to an independent Scotland's membership of the EU is somehow a "positive" for the Yes vote, that somehow your average Scots voter is anti-EU to the extent of being glad of the idea of being not only out of the UK, but the EU as well...? Yeah right, good luck with that one. Like I say, the next round of opinion polls will, I suspect, be both interesting and informative.
Quote:
Alex Salmond, Scotland’s First Minister, is flying by the seat of his pants. Hardly a week goes by without another embarrassing U-turn on his claims about what independence will mean for Scotland. The SNP has had 80 years to plan for this. Yet it is increasingly clear that they are woefully underprepared for the referendum to be held in less than two years’ time.

A diet of bluster is proving no substitute for the hard-headed argument needed to win over Scots’ hearts and minds. With each U-turn, Mr Salmond’s party creates a loss of confidence. No wonder the voices of dissent within its ranks are beginning to be heard. Whether it is on Scotland’s admission to the European Union, on what currency we would use, or the impact on energy supplies, the nationalists are all over the place.

You might have hoped that the SNP would have thought out a credible position on Scotland’s membership of the EU. After all, it’s central to our economic prospects. Scottish businesses need to know where we would stand if Scotland were to break from the rest of the United Kingdom. Until a few weeks ago the nationalists, ever anxious to reassure a doubting populace, claimed that Scotland would automatically be a member of the EU upon independence.

What’s more, they said there was a legal opinion to back that up. They have since had to admit that there was never a legal opinion. And, in a major blow, José Barroso, the President of the European Commission, has said that Scotland will have to reapply for membership. As a result, in their most spectacular climbdown to date, the SNP has admitted that there would indeed have to be a negotiation.

Nobody knows what form these discussions would take, or how long they would last. I know, from experience, that matters will be complicated, because many of the 27 member states have their own agendas, especially on separation: Spain springs to mind. But be in no doubt, negotiation means that the euro, border control, and our rebate will be on the table. Who can foresee what demands might be made? What we do know, however, is that new member states have until now been asked to sign up for the euro. We also know that the EU does not like the British rebate and would be unlikely to acquiesce in its maintenance. The SNP, in the face of this, simply asserts that they will get in with no problems.

The nationalists are also in deep water with another newly acquired policy: what currency Scotland would use post-independence. Until last year, the SNP policy was to adopt the euro. At the beginning of 2012, that changed to using the pound. When it was pointed out that our interest rates would be fixed by a foreign bank – the Bank of England – Mr Salmond announced without consultation that there would be a currency union between Scotland and the rest of the UK. This would, of course, mean a loss of sovereignty.

As we see in the eurozone, currency union members sign up to a pact that severely curtails their ability to pursue a different policy on tax, spending and borrowing. That is not freedom. Many SNP supporters now realise this.
Meanwhile, for the Scottish financial-services industry, who regulates them is crucial. Here SNP policy is again contradictory. The nationalists have said the Bank of England will regulate the industry. But if we are in the EU, they also admit, Scotland must have its own separate regulator.

The uncertainty over these matters may cost Scotland dear in jobs and investment. The SNP’s preference for simply asserting what will happen is being exposed. Just last week, when confronted with the fact that green energy is hugely dependent on a UK subsidy, they simply insisted that England would carry on paying it because it would want to buy Scotland’s energy. Again, no discussion. Simply more bluster.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -know.html
He'd fit right in here :D
Grim... wrote:
He'd fit right in here

Flouncing and starting his own country?
Kern wrote:
Flouncing and starting his own country?

Actually, I've just warmed to him a teensy bit. Man after my own heart! :D
Interesting piece in yesterday's Telegraph specifically about 'Cybernats':

Quote:
As Willie Rennie, the Scottish Lib Dem leader, said, Alasdair Gray’s comments “run the risk of giving an air of respectability to the repugnant actions of these racists”. The worry is that if Scotland’s undercurrent of anti-Englishness is exploited now for political gain it will leave a lasting legacy long after the referendum is over.

Gray and others think their brand of Anglophobia is justified because they are freedom fighters, battling for Scottish independence. Fortunately, their insularity does not represent the majority mood in Scotland. Contrary to some luvvies’ conviction that all the cultural energy is on the “yes” side, Scotland’s culture is global and so much richer because of that.

From Robin Ticciati at the helm of the Scottish Chamber Orchestra, to Ashley Page, who has just left Scottish Ballet, to Featherstone, we have “colonists” to thank for the health of our arts. The Alasdair Grays, so sure that they are the voice of modern Scotland, are out on a limb with their prejudices. They are no better than the cyber nats who disgrace this country’s enlightened past and distort its increasingly outward-looking present.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -name.html
Further latest poll data shows Nationalist vote bumping along the floor at 32%

Quote:
Only 32 per cent have vowed to back independence in the 2014 ‘Yes or No’ referendum, while more than 70 per cent said they would vote to stay in the Union if there were more options, such as Devo Max, on the ballot paper.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/368861

This is interesting as well:

Quote:
It is the latest blow for the SNP, which was last week ranked third – behind Labour and the Tories – in a YouGov poll which asked the Scottish electorate who they would back in the 2015 General Election.

Is this actually true? I'd be amazed if so; surely this is an error.
Lord Raiden wrote:
Quote:
It is the latest blow for the SNP, which was last week ranked third – behind Labour and the Tories – in a YouGov poll which asked the Scottish electorate who they would back in the 2015 General Election.

2015 is for Westminster - the next Holyrood election is in 2016. People might vote different ways depending on the election. For most domestic stuff, it's the Holyrood one that matters for Scots now.
Kern wrote:
Lord Raiden wrote:
Quote:

2015 is for Westminster - the next Holyrood election is in 2016. People might vote different ways depending on the election. For most domestic stuff, it's the Holyrood one that matters for Scots now.

Yeah I got that mate, but I was (and am) still gobsmacked by that revelation. I don't really see why the SNP should be such an unpopular choice for the General Election?
Because the SNP has zero chance of forming or being part of a UK-wide government? ;)
Yeah I got that mate, but I was (and am) still gobsmacked by that revelation. I don't really see why the SNP should be such an unpopular choice for the General Election?

The SNP are a protest vote. Nothing else. The one clever thing - and I'm no fan - that Salmond realised long ago was that the Scots could only be sleep walked into voting for Indy.

He's a 'gradualist' compared to the more fundamentalist "indy or nothing" brigade (the potential anti-English racists), he realised that independence could only be executed in increments.

From that point of view he's done a good job. An overall majority at the 2011 Scottish election was and is his zenith. It's why he was so desperate to get Devo-Max on the table.

David Cameron outfoxed him with that one. Both men know that Indy in Scotland is currently unwinnable. Conceding everything but a one question referendum has been Cameron's master stroke.

It will kill off the appetite in Indy for a generation when it fails and it will split the SNP back into what they are - a rabble rousing joke party full of faux elitists and Braveheart Commando romanticists.

I never have and never will be anti-Indy. I've been anti-SNP/Salmond for some time now. I find Salmond's choice of corporate friends and penchant for evasion and lies completely unpalatable.

Regards

NB: Lord Raiden - if you are Captain Caveman, I'd like to say a big Hello. Not a fan of your politics but I love your debating style.
Cheers mate, that's very useful, thanks. :)

Yes, I am indeed Cavey. :D
Nice of you to say that about me too mate, though I'm the first to admit my 'debating style' actually leaves much to be desired, but there again I suppose it's 'Captain Caveman' for good reason. Plenty of people here have kicked my arse good and proper though - frequently - but that's actually a good outcome much of the time and kind of the point? Makes you rethink, reconsider and re-evaluate; my 'politics' are pretty much unrecognisable from the unreconstructed Thatcherite Tory that I was 5-6 years ago. That's very largely as a result of people from this very board, most notably Peter St. John, Mr Chris and others. :)

Anyway, a very warm welcome from me mate, great to see you here. I look forward to your own input, particularly as regards this subject matter. :)

Cavey
Hullo! Nice to meet you!
There's nothing wrong with 'head down, point horns, engage feet' as a debating style.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:kiss:
Craster wrote:
There's nothing wrong with 'head down, point horns, engage feet' as a debating style.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
:kiss:

:luv:

The phrase "Bull in a china shop" was never more apt. I refuse to believe it, but my family even claim that I actually really do physically lower my head and scrape my foot when I'm really riled, which is actually a bit mental likes. :o
Thanks for the welcome and hello to you too MaliA. :)

Thanks Cavey. I remember well some of your kind words directed my way on a certain other site dedicated to Scottish independence. They were well appreciated at the time :D .

The curious dilemma regarding that site was the out and out abuse I received from the host and his homeboys. I always found it ironic given that I don't know what to think about Scottish independence. If anything, that makes me more sceptical about the claims made by both sides of the debate.

For my pains, and part due to my moniker, I've been called "English", a "14th century war criminal", a "Unionist", a "Labour supporter", a "hate blinded idiot", a "troll" (I didn't even know what that was in internet terms and had to look it up on google) and was even accused of being Captain Caveman. :facepalm: Each label clearly meant as an insult.

Onyhoo, I've written enough for a novel judging by the average length of comment here.

Once again, regards and thanks for the welcome.
Longshanker wrote:
a "14th century war criminal"

Does that even work as an insult?
As insults go, it's pretty creative. Dodgy moral compass, sure, but at least extreme longevity is a fine attribute.

As for the appalling prospect of 'being Captain Caveman', I'll wear that one as a badge of honour methinks. It's actually not all that bad. :D
Latest Scottish independence poll:

Quote:
A new poll puts public backing for a split at 28% – unchanged from last October. It means the pro-UK campaign has a 20-point lead, more than double the nine-point advantage it enjoyed this time last year.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/ ... s.19910713

As predicted, support for SNP/independence has fallen through the floor; it's now at a mere 28%, little more than one-in-four? Blimey, that's even lower than *I* was expecting. That's what happens when you're not straight with people, I guess.
Still, I'm sure the cybernats are delighted, spinning this as somehow great news for them. Heh! :D
If this turns out to be in any way accurate, then wow. We have a government that people generally hate, in part composed of a party that used to do well north of the border. The opposition is ineffective, and the SNP really has the best chance right now to make major in-roads. If the 'yes' vote only manages 28% now, what will happen if the economy improves? Mind you, British people tend to like the status quo—maybe even a vote on EU membership might result in nothing changing.
CraigGrannell wrote:
If this turns out to be in any way accurate, then wow. We have a government that people generally hate, in part composed of a party that used to do well north of the border. The opposition is ineffective, and the SNP really has the best chance right now to make major in-roads. If the 'yes' vote only manages 28% now, what will happen if the economy improves?

I totally agree mate. But then, the SNP have been shown again and again to be making it up as they're going along; they seemingly have got absolutely nothing sorted, even stuff like what currency this New Scotland would be supposed to use, what status it would have according to the EU and all the rest. The embarrassing fiascos of the 'Barroso letter' and 'EU advice written in invisible ink' amply demonstrated these facts - these were not Unionist propaganda; everyone could see the facts of the entirely unforced situation for themselves, and no amount of cybernat black-is-white internet revisionist twattery or third rate sophistry was ever going to change anything. Plus, no doubt the integrity of the SNP itself has been called very much into question - they're a joke.

I mean, let's face it. If you manage to make Labour look like a good, honest, competent, safe pair of hands, despite everything - you've got problems, basically. Plus, as I've alluded to before, the SNP clearly have a big PR/image problem with their 'cybernats' anyway?
Reading last night's debate in the Lords about the order giving Holyrood the power to hold the referendum, I got the impression that Lord Forsyth doesn't like the SNP leader very much:

Quote:
"L'état, c'est moi" is the First Minister's motto every time he gets into his office in the morning.
I believe that we are at risk, given the way in which we are proceeding and the trust that we are putting in Alex Salmond. It is a bit like putting the fox in charge of the chicken coop and arguing that the chickens will protest if it all goes wrong.

The Scottish Government, simply in any fairness, cannot be a participant and the referee at the same time, especially given that this First Minister has form. He was caught out telling porkies about whether he had had advice on whether we would have to rejoin the European Union if we were independent. He spent taxpayers' money on preventing people from getting, under freedom of information legislation, the facts, which turned out to be that what he had said was not true at all. He has already had a red card. I think that we should be concerned about trust.
The First Minister is known as something of a gambler. Ironically, his campaign will be funded on a lottery win, on which, of course, no tax will have been paid.

Or, indeed, Sean Connery:

Quote:
I do not know what it is about the SNP that it has great stars, such as Alan Cumming and Sean Connery, who will do anything to support independence except live in the country that they are arguing should be independent.

Of course, the big question is whether ['Nobody in particular'-Uncle Jo Stalin] will return to his homeland to vote for independence, or whether he'll remain one of the large disenfranchised Scottish diaspora.
CraigGrannell wrote:
Mind you, British people tend to like the status quo—maybe even a vote on EU membership might result in nothing changing.

This might be the case. Salmond has to prove to the undecideds and the legions of constitutional apathetics (what? There's life outside of constitution writing? Even the chance of sex?) that divorce from the UK will improve their lives and wallets. We might hate first-past-the-post, for instance, but most people don't care, for good or ill.
""L'état, c'est moi" is the First Minister's motto every time he gets into his office in the morning."

That's comedy gold. Yup, his Grace sure is a bit of a wit, it must be said - and bang on the money as well.
I think that 'red card' he mentions elsewhere in his speech is well reflected in that 28% figure, as it goes. Most Scottish folk are normal, sensible, fair-minded people after all.

Of that small, irreducible, vocal, bitter minority, though, I daresay it wouldn't matter if the SNP started advocating the slaying of firstborn sons; they'd probably still support 'em.

(As for people who don't even live in Scotland, well, they "don't have a dog in the fight", I guess :D )
Page 7 of 41 [ 2009 posts ]