PC gaming hardware thread.
Takes down the torture rack.
Holy effing poo. :o :o :o

If this is true Nvidia are going to be fucked.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/20/ ... 80-scores/
markg wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:

Best part is it's only £26 on Scan :D

No, the best part is that it looks like an old fashioned telly from the side.

902 Bananas.

Why can't PC designers produce anything that looks good? My little Revo would look so much better in aluminium + with a stand that doesn't look like it's from the 70's.
OK. I wanted to put in a few words RE -

JohnCoffey wrote:
No gaming?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-XPS-420-DESK ... 27adee5183

Is hard to beat. Fucking awesome CPU and spec.

The Scan system I recced for £420 did not inc shipping. The Dell pretty much beats it in every department (ram ammount, cpu, hdd, features). The Q6600 is one of the greatest CPUs ever made and will utterly wipe the floor with that dual cored Athlon. It costs about £40 or so more than the one you have to build and saves the headaches.

Obviously it won't do gaming as well (being it's missing the 5770 and comes with a 3600) but you can always upgrade that later, or immediately if funds permit.

I kinda like the idea of the small LCD screen on the chassis too, plus you get an Xfi, Operating system, bigger hard drive, better CPU, media reader and so on.

The Dell is pretty hard to beat really. Especially when you consider it includes a full year's warranty.
Cheers JC, that's the sort of info I am after! Possibly a bit more than I want to spend, but at the moment, I just need info to try and get back up to speed for which parts are good.
Just thought I would let you guys know. Just incase any one wanted a gaming laptop.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26otn%3D1

Pretty darn serious those. My pal offered £635 and it was accepted which is actually rude.

I know they're quite old (brand new items though) but they'll still mix it with the latest bad boys for £1700.

One hell of a laptop for not a lot of bread.
And to those on a seriously tight budget JC's bargainage PC.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-Optiplex-GX7 ... 3ca92431e4

Case, PSU, mobo £104.99

CPU

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Ce ... 80571E3200

£36.05

Ram

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-Micr ... ered-CAS-5

2 of making 2gb. £32.60

Hard drive

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/250GB-Se ... ache-85-ms

£30.88

Optical drive

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Samsung- ... -Black-OEM

£15.50

Total - £220.02 for a brand new computer. It won't play any games at all (due to the Intel GMA onboard GPU) but it would take care of daily tasks pretty efficiently.
Okay, so here's the laptop I bought...

Attachment:
09-02-10 306.jpg

It's velly nice. I was so busy yesterday that I never had the chance to put it through it's paces, but at the very least it seems to play Mass Effect 2 every bit as well as my desktop can. The Windows 7 rating thing was a bit of an eyeopener too. For the sake of JC and no-one else, since no-one else will give a shit, I'll run it through 3DMark Vantage or something when I get home.

I did also bring it into work today so I could, well, play Mass Effect 2 in my lunchbreak. I only got the 6-cell battery, so was expecting it to last maybe 5 minutes. I managed to spend my whole lunch hour playing though, so it's pretty impressive (although the battery was deaded after this time). It does very clearly wind down the graphics card though whilst running off the battery, as the perfomance was rather jittery compared to the silky smooth performance on mains power, but still playable.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to sell this as originally planned. I think this is a keeper.
Couldn't you even do the decent thing and be naked when taking that photo?
What, and have a preggo laptop too?
Naked and squatting on a hot day, gently swaying your sack over a silk sheet. Mmmmm.
Dimrill wrote:
Naked and squatting on a hot day, gently swaying your sack over a silk sheet. Mmmmm.

I was in a rush dude. I'll take some more shots when I get home with some grubby y-fronts on the bed and a barely visible reflection of my sweaty sack, glistening in the twighlight.
Tron has a lot to answer for.
Zardoz wrote:
Tron has a lot to answer for.

:p

In true JC-style, the thing is literally fit to bursting with LEDs, all of which can change colour independently. Usually I'm more of a classy, minimalist, Apple-style type person, but this is so well put together I'm amazed. The actual build quality is at least equal, if not a fair bit better, than my old 15" Aluminium Powerbook G4.
*applauds*.

Jammy sod :D Looks pretty awesome. I'd love to be able to take gaming anywhere with me. I'd save for an M11x but I still can't get my head around the yanks getting them for $799 and us paying £750. I might wait until my pal from the US comes over next and get one brought with him.
Dimrill wrote:
Get a DS.

I am actually unusually tempted to get one of those big fuck off ones. Sadly it still looks like it uses a cross pad which rules out Mario 64 DS properly. I brought a DS on launch in the US and was pretty dissapointed with the controls of Mario. Shame, because the game was bloody fantastic (long time M64 fan, in my top three everages).
I saw the M11x on there when I was ordering this one. It is nice, but seems very expensive for what it can do. I'd be interested to see how well it can actually run modern PC games.
Zio wrote:
I saw the M11x on there when I was ordering this one. It is nice, but seems very expensive for what it can do. I'd be interested to see how well it can actually run modern PC games.

Very well providing you don't want a bucket load of AA. Which on a screen that size would be pretty daft any way.

Were you still selling ram? You never did reply to the last PM. I'm going to be ordering in about a week..
Here's one for you rat whackers, 17 button mouse for fuck's sake.
Dimrill wrote:
Here's one for you rat whackers, 17 button mouse for fuck's sake.

Fuck me those MMOs have a lot to answer for.
Dimrill wrote:
rat whackers

That's a keeper.
Fuck yeah.... FUCK YEAH.

I just got one of these

An original Predator in Saucer Silver. For £50 :o

I've wanted a silver one for so fucking long because they show no dust whatsoever.

WOOT
JohnCoffey wrote:
Fuck yeah.... FUCK YEAH.

I just got one of these

An original Predator in Saucer Silver. For £50 :o

I've wanted a silver one for so fucking long because they show no dust whatsoever.

WOOT

That one you have been watching drop in price for months?
Nemmie wrote:

That one you have been watching drop in price for months?

Yeah ! It ended dude I thought I had lost it !

I sent them a question saying I had forgotten to watch it, had it sold (they listed it with a starting price of £50) then I got a reply saying they had relisted it with a £50 BIN. Fuck I was shaking, I couldn't find it fast enough :D

Only £15 s&h too and I have always wanted one of the originals. It won't have all the flashy lighting (you can fit cathodes but I wont bother..) but, being older it has 4 front USB instead of 2 and firewire/audio and either 5 or six 5 1/4 bays. Odd part? I have that Silverstone panel I brought in silver. I may find myself switching tbh. It'll be a world less fucking cleaning and dusting I know that much !

It's basically a chieftec full tower (so fucking huge) with a plastic shroud. I've got that 750w AW psu for it too.
JohnCoffey wrote:
(you can fit cathodes but I wont bother..)

You've changed, man.
Dimrill wrote:
JohnCoffey wrote:
(you can fit cathodes but I wont bother..)

You've changed, man.

I like the silver one to be plain jane dude. It looks like a bullet train, or something really art deco. Adding lights to it would be, well, wanky.

I do have taste Dim you know ! :D
Crivens ! Alienwares are like buses. You wait for one and three come at once :D

Was speaking to a friend last night who I found a laptop for (one of those Dell XPS) and he said he was going to sell his Alienware..

This is one I don't have being that it's the very first predator. The inside is different to the silver one I am getting..

So out of interest I asked how much and got mate's rates... Too cheap. So yeah, getting another one LOL. Spec wise it isn't remarkable but let's say I'm only paying for the case.

P4 3ghz, 2gb DDR400, Radeon 1950 (only about 2 years old I think) 2 dvd drives, nice fan controller Intel D motherboard. Needs sorting out inside lol.

The ZOMG! W0W5ERS! part of my relationship with the Alienware laptop is coming to an end, and in the cold light of day I am once more looking at shoving it on eBay. I'll give it a little longer yet, but it's really not too portable as laptops go and not quite as powerful as I originally believed. Especially when you run it off the battery - the graphics hardware goes into a slightly odd low-power mode that not only impacts frame-rate but also seems to lower the rendering quality of the graphics in games. It's a bit weird and a bit hard to describe. Also, running a couple of benchmarks suggets that my desktop PC can, in certain circumstances, provide almost twice the performance, this thing can.

So, if it's too bulky and heavy for me to lug it around with me much, and it can't perform as well as another computer that I already own, there's not a lot of point in me keeping it. It is so pretty though, so very pretty. It looks reet lush on my desk, it does.

I think I might sell it and - prepares for inevitable backlash - get some nicer bits for my existing PC, like a Razer keyboard to go with the Razer mouse I already own. The mouse is simply the nicest mouse I've ever used, so if their keyboards are of a similar quality, it'd be a worthwhile purchase. Especially as I utterly detest the Logitech keyboard I currently have. Why is it that Logitech knock out some of the lovliest mice known to man, but also some of the gashest keyboards?
I have a Razer Lycosa keyboard that I picked up in a charity shop in it's box for £8. It has a very flat profile but once I got used to this I found it a joy to use.

Not sure it gives you an advantage in gaming as they like to claim but it's certainly very responsive and looks lovely.
Nemmie wrote:
I have a Razer Lycosa keyboard that I picked up in a charity shop in it's box for £8. It has a very flat profile but once I got used to this I found it a joy to use.

Not sure it gives you an advantage in gaming as they like to claim but it's certainly very responsive and looks lovely.

Heh, I'm slightly more interested in it giving me an advantage in typing than gaming. I saw one (possibly the same model) in a branch of PC World recently which some kindly soul had pre-destroyed the packaging on, allowing me a quick push of the buttons on the exposed keyboard. It seemed really nice and I prefer flat profile, almost laptop-style keyboards anyway. I use a current gen Apple wired keyboard at work and I love that.

That was quite a find in that charity shop though! That had to have been donated by a jilted girlfriend or something. Who in their right mind would donate a Razer keyboard to a charity shop?
JohnCoffey wrote:
Crivens ! Alienwares are like buses.

No. Trams.
Zio. You will never, ever find a laptop that can out perform a desktop. Ever.

Laptops are indeed heavy (well, gaming laptops) but they are supposed to be inbetween a portable and a desktop, making something just about powerful enough to replace your desktop.

The problem of course is if you already have a powerful desktop and get to run comparissons like you have. Usually people would just buy the laptop without comparing it.

As for keyboards? I always found Microsoft's to be the best. Don't get a tactx. For gaming it really is the most wonderful thing. For typing on? Fail in the head. The keys are very small so I'm constantly whacking the wrong ones. The delete key will wear out first. Seriously I end up typing 50% of words twice, sometimes three times. I just cannot speed type on it.

Not only that the keys are very firm, more like joypad buttons. So that means tired fingers.

For gaming it's absolutely out of this world, but typing was clearly an afterthought.
Zio wrote:
Nemmie wrote:

Heh, I'm slightly more interested in it giving me an advantage in typing than gaming. I saw one (possibly the same model) in a branch of PC World recently which some kindly soul had pre-destroyed the packaging on, allowing me a quick push of the buttons on the exposed keyboard. It seemed really nice and I prefer flat profile, almost laptop-style keyboards anyway. I use a current gen Apple wired keyboard at work and I love that.

That was quite a find in that charity shop though! That had to have been donated by a jilted girlfriend or something. Who in their right mind would donate a Razer keyboard to a charity shop?

I know what happened there actually. They produced a batch where a key would randomly stop working until restart and this was one of that batch. Razer were replacing them immediately, all you needed to do was give the serial number and they sent you a new keyboard. A few months after this they released a firmware update that fixed this problem.

When I first plugged this in, within five minutes the h stopped working so I did some research, updated the firmware and have not had any issues since. I think the person who bought this originally found the issue very quickly and got his replacement so he packed off the "faulty" one to a charity shop.
Yay for silly companies.

So I asked the seller when my case was going to ship. They said it would ship today. Got up thismorning and it arrived. Planks, good thing I was here.

However, all is forgiven as they actually forgot to add a 1 to the model number and sent me a gorgeous silver Predator 2.0.

All the lighting is there minus the card. But tbh? The spares in this thing alone for my black one are worth the price of admission. So I'l be using it, but I'll strip out all the lighting and keep it spare :)
Today amidst debating in the other threads, saying good morning and drinking lots of coffee I finally recieved my CPU. Just to show you all that I can do sense and I can do normal I got a Sempron 140. It's a £28 single cored CPU that clocks in at 2.7ghz. I intend to over clock it to 3ghz (all AMD are good for 300 mhz) and use it as a media PC and browser box, leaving this one (the gamorz) shut down for the summer until I need it, then I'll switch. The general idea is cool, quiet and low power consumption. Which was why I chose the Sempron. 45nm single core. At idle it eats hardly any watts. Here is what I have so far. I'm literally waiting on the PSU to come from London when my cousin comes up next and some ram (wink wink poke poke etc).

Both of the fans on the radiator will be connected through an excess Noctua fan speed reducer thinger I have.
That's awesome :D I so love Art Deco.
So...

I'm at PAX, NewEgg and Nvidia are going to be there with some exciting special offers.

I wonder if the GTX 400 series will be available/any good.
Puckering Anal Xenophobes.
LewieP wrote:
So...

I'm at PAX, NewEgg and Nvidia are going to be there with some exciting special offers.

I wonder if the GTX 400 series will be available/any good.

From all accounts it's utter cack.
That's kind of what I expected. Got a link to somewhere saying so?

I guess I'll see what NewEgg have going, apparently they are going to have some very special offers available.
Sure :)

Of course it's not 100% proof yet, but it certainly explains the serious serious lapse of the 400 series. I mean, they're letting ATI walk basically.
I rock :metul:
Just flashed the controller on the SSD to Indilinx 2.0 which enables TRIM and garbage collection for my SSD. I've reinstalled Win7 pro and TRIM is active and working.

Must say, I won't miss running a secure erase and Acronis once a month. :metul:
JohnCoffey wrote:
Sure :)

Of course it's not 100% proof yet, but it certainly explains the serious serious lapse of the 400 series. I mean, they're letting ATI walk basically.

Fuck me, it's one noisy motherfucker.

http://www.geeks3d.com/?tag=furmark

Apparently Nvidia have managed to get this out of the door running faster than the 5870, but paid a high price in terms of noise and low yields, so for an extra 10% or so of performance you're paying a lot more cash, and by all accounts Nvidia are going to making very little profit (if any) on each card.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3783

I'm still bobbing along quite happily with my 4890, it clocks in about the same as a 5850 overall (running an 11% overclock as I do) so only the 5870 is faster, and I ain't chucking £300 at it :D
I read some reviews tonight. It's really funny because when you get to the bit about how hot it is, how much noise it makes and it's atrocious power consumption they hide it like I have this.

And the rumours about Nvidia only providing units to people who would wank over it seems to be holding true. Oddly they are pitting the 480 against the 5870 which is totally unfair as the 5970 is the comparable card and it laughs at the 480.

And then there's the heat and noise and power consumption, something I can safely say I will never return to after owning the 280. It didn't even last a year at those fucking daft temps it ran at.
Atrocity Exhibition wrote:
I'm still bobbing along quite happily with my 4890, it clocks in about the same as a 5850 overall (running an 11% overclock as I do) so only the 5870 is faster, and I ain't chucking £300 at it :D

I just had to say something there. Firstly the 5870 isn't the bargain. Crossfired 5770s is the bargain. I know you read Custom PC and I know you're brainwashed by what they tell you (because you admitted it elsewhere) but you (and they) need to stop being so old fashioned and get with the times. Firstly Crossfire will scale any game . There is no wait for drivers, there is no wait for patches it's just how Crossfire works. It isn't like SLI.

To prove this I enabled the 'crossfire active' stamp on my drivers in the CCC. Basically it loads up a transparent Crossfire X logo in the top right corner of the screen. Here it is.

And then set up the benchmark with these settings (yes that's basically everything on ultra/max with DX10).

And even with Fraps running in the background (so I could get the screens as it's DX10) I was hitting no less than 52fps during massive explosions with 60+ constant throughout the benchmark. That's far higher than a 5870 and a pair of 5770s costs £250. Not only that, but they're immensely clever cards. Look what happens when you're in Windows.

Card one halves it's clock to lower power consumption.

And card 2? well look what it's doing.

I actually thought it was broken because sometimes it will enable and run at 150mhz. So I purposely dragged the box to the second monitor and left it there when I ran a game. Sure enough, it springs to life and clocks itself to the full 850/1200mhz along with the other card which jacks itself to 850. Also note that 50c is my absolute maximum temp I will get from the cards. I had just closed the Far Cry 2 benchmark app.

I'll attatch some screen shots to prove that I'm not talking shit of course. And, I will mention that your 4890 whilst being a very very capable card does not sport DX11.

Seriously mang, get over the Crossfire is shit issue.
And when I load Just Cause 2 Demo I also get Crossfire in swing.

So I max out the settings (this is DX11 remember)

And I yield pretty much the same identical results that I got with FC2. Which are the same results I posted from Dirt 2 which the 5870 simply is not capable of and costs over £50 (if you can find a 5870 for £300, GL !) more than a pair of 5770s.
Back to the 480GTX. As Mike Reid once said Fucking turn it in.

Quote:
For our load temperatures, we have gone ahead and added Crysis to our temperature testing so that we can see both the worst-case temperatures of FurMark and a more normal gameplay temperature.

This won’t have any significant impact on the card, but if you’re like us your eyes will pop out of your head at least once when you see a GTX 480 hitting 98C on FurMark.

Under FurMark our results change ever so slightly. The GTX 480 manages to get under the GTX 295, while the GTX 470 falls in the middle of the GTX 200 series pack. A special mention goes out to the GTX 480 SLI here, which at 851W under load is the greatest power draw we have ever seen for a pair of GPUs.
JohnCoffey wrote:
Back to the 480GTX. As Mike Reid once said Fucking turn it in.

Quote:
For our load temperatures, we have gone ahead and added Crysis to our temperature testing so that we can see both the worst-case temperatures of FurMark and a more normal gameplay temperature.

This won’t have any significant impact on the card, but if you’re like us your eyes will pop out of your head at least once when you see a GTX 480 hitting 98C on FurMark.

Under FurMark our results change ever so slightly. The GTX 480 manages to get under the GTX 295, while the GTX 470 falls in the middle of the GTX 200 series pack. A special mention goes out to the GTX 480 SLI here, which at 851W under load is the greatest power draw we have ever seen for a pair of GPUs.

851W is insane, that's into electric heater territory, the kind of power draw that can keep an entire room warm.

I suspect these cards will be very hard to live with from a noise/heat standpoint, will suck up ridiculous amounts of (not cheap!) electricity, and will fry themselves within a year of reasonably regular use.

NO SALE!

How did Nvidia end up in this back alley then? No company designs and releases a product like this deliberately, surely?
Page 6 of 119 [ 5933 posts ]