Project Slaphead
the game for XBOX 360, loike.
I think I hate it. I've just given it a go since buying it at xmas time, and the amount of swirly colours from jet engines and fucking abysmal controls has put me right off already. Not to mention the character models during the cutscenes.
I like it. It's too hard for my fat fingers and sometimes I'm confused about what I should be doing, but I still like it.
I loved X-Wing and Wing Commander, but I hated the demo of this. You are right to not like it Dims. *feeds a cookie*
myoptika wrote:
I loved X-Wing and Wing Commander, but I hated the demo of this. You are right to not like it Dims. *feeds a cookie*

i hated the demo but the full game is definitely better. that said, I played it for a couple of hours and haven't gone back to it since.
So CUS has been lying to us? He said it was all of the awesome.
I grabbed the demo off Live when it appeared in the bargains thread...and thought it was tripe. I flailed uselessly with the controls like Mr. Spackyhands, and had no real idea what was going on.
In fairness, most people here seemed to dislike the demos of Burnout Paradise and Frontlines: Fool of War, but then liked the full games.

That said, it does look rubbish, and not in a good rubbish way, like EDF.
Burny Pee's demo did put me off at first, but it wasn't down to the actual mechanics of the game, it was lack of events. Which was obviously going to be rectified for the full game, so I went ahead and got it.

Never did play the Frontlines demo.
jonarob wrote:

I said I rather liked the first couple of levels that I have played of it. It's MetalAngel who's been makin' bacon* with it.

*Canadian
Well we all know what his game choices are like.

Although in a Halo 3 sesh I had my first game of RocketRace with him, and I went from being a nublet driver who thought he had to drive in to the little rooms to coming within 1 point of winning within the space of one game. In the second game we kicked everyone's butt...although I wasn't driving that time.
CUS wrote:
jonarob wrote:

I said I rather liked the first couple of levels that I have played of it. It's MetalAngel who's been makin' bacon* with it.

*Canadian

He does always seem to ham it up whenever he talks about it.
I had a really good time with it, despite its aggravating difficulty spikes and mind-bogglingly awful cutscenes.

Personally, the fact that it looked like Arthur Brown's first day working at the fireworks factory was a feature not a bug.
Sheepeh wrote:

Care to elaborate on that?

To everyone else prepared to have an open mind - play the tutorial. Adjust the controls if you wish. And don't expect to be a super duper ace pilot within five minutes.* It is basically one of the old-school Silpheed shmups, but in Wing Commander dress.

*and don't use a Stu-esque 'if you don't understand what's going on within five minutes it's shit' argument. Neither Triggerheart Exelica nor Ikaruga made any sense to me the first five times I tried ti play them.
MetalAngel wrote:
*and don't use a Stu-esque 'if you don't understand what's going on within five minutes it's shit' argument. Neither Triggerheart Exelica nor Ikaruga made any sense to me the first five times I tried ti play them.

I think his point was, with an ounce of rational detatchment form his diatribe, "If you don't understand what is going on within five minutes it's niche gaming". But that's not his style really. I'll drag up Space Giraffe for this point - easy for many to get stuck as fuck on, but for the dedicated/lucky/stoned it was game of the year. I doubt any of them really grocked it in the first five minutes though. You've nary a ten second visit to the 'zone' before the first twenty are up, which is longer than anyone will spend on a shit demo, or speedily booting and spending twenty seconds in all you games they've nt played whe round ours and you are busy making the tea or summat.

Usual story for me is a game arives in the post and I've got just enough time to open it, fire it up and kill someone in it before I have to go out or to work or whatever. Think Dead Rising here - I want to wade into some zombies and kill a few, a short time after getting the disc in the 360. But you have to plug away a bit first. So that could've been me put off DR had I not bought it already. So I agree with Stu inasmuch as a game should wherever possible without damaging the overall gameplay give you a sense of control within five minutes of booting. All we are doing is controlling games with controlles. If you don't feel in control of something after five minutes of controlling it with a controller, there's an argument to be had over shitness, I reckon. But yes - Ikaruga, Space Giraffe, Football Manager - the REv'sargument has holes in it.
MetalAngel wrote:
Sheepeh wrote:

Care to elaborate on that?

I see you playing Halo3 and not joining in Infinity Ward's Acclaimed Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare (seriously, the only FPS apart from The Darkness I actually liked in recent times) or Burny Pee...

The Halo 3 was fun for a change, but CoD is blatantly better.

This advertisement brought to you in part by Dimrill and Myoptika.

:hat:
Youse guys are making me want Burnout Paradise. I've barely played TDU yet :(

Halo 3 is great fun though, and staying in the beginners online bit you meet some decent sorts, I've even friended a couple. I find that if you've even one mate online with you in a random deathmatchey type of thing, no amunt of squeaky American kids can spoil you fun, indeed they tend to add to it. Who can make then shriek loudest? Which will be first to have a conversation with his mum while playing? Some ritalin candidate was shrieking about chicken the other night. Fucking priceless!
It's not as much fun as getting matched up with BeeX Vs Random Foreign Singing Guys and shooting them in the head, repeatedly.

Also, when Myoptika gets put on the other team and we shoot him in the face.

<edit> Afterthought : what was with the decision to make Voice on Halo 3 Push To Talk? It's an extra button press my fingers can't deal with in time, and I either talk to myself or stop like a n00b and get shot. There might be a way to turn that off, but it's a silly default anyway.
MetalAngel wrote:
*and don't use a Stu-esque 'if you don't understand what's going on within five minutes it's shit' argument.

Um... Space Giraffe?
Grim... wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:
*and don't use a Stu-esque 'if you don't understand what's going on within five minutes it's shit' argument.

Um... Space Giraffe?

That still doesn't make sence after five hours!

[Edit] The game, not Grim...'s post.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Grim... wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:

Um... Space Giraffe?

That still doesn't make sence after five hours!

Aye, but Stu loves it.
Hello.
Erm, What's Project Slaphead?

Thanks!

editmedon't!: I found out! I found out! It's Project Sylpheed for those as thick as I am. Strangely, the only people on the ENTIRE INTERNET to have made the Sylpheed -> Scottish "Slaphead" connection appears to be the humourless cocks on a forum called "World of Stuart" and some more right doofuses on a forum called "Be Excellent To Each Other".

I'm glad I'm not associated with such baffoons. :munkeh:
Thankyou! But I quested for it myself. I'm quite handy with a google search, see.
I'll give the demo a go on my friends xboxesesses soon.
Curiosity wrote:
That said said, it does look rubbish, and not in a good rubbish way, like EDF.

Where "good rubbish" equals "It's completely shit, but the lack of lighting effects will help it to clearly show up on even the most badly configured televisions in Bath, despite it having the exact same non-Legacy controls as any modern FPS and therefore obviously being completely unplayable" presumably.
Sheepeh wrote:
<edit> Afterthought : what was with the decision to make Voice on Halo 3 Push To Talk? It's an extra button press my fingers can't deal with in time, and I either talk to myself or stop like a n00b and get shot. There might be a way to turn that off, but it's a silly default anyway.

It's only one games where there's a certain number of people, as when you've got three or four people on your team, you don't need to push to talk.

I think they designed it to stop a constant stream of 'f4gZ0rz ZOMG U r gh3ys' during big team battles, etc.
oddly they used the same system for Super Puzz Fighter, which is of course really fucking stupid.
I really wanted to like it, as the idea of a shooty space combat game really appeals to me, like the best bits from Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars and stuff. I quite liked the original Rogue Squadron on the N64 for example - but a lot of that had defined boundaries I guess, you knew where the ground was.

But I didn't really get on with the game too well. There was a hell of a lot going on all at once, which isn't a bad thing but a bit bewildering at first. It mostly felt like just chasing the ion trails (or whatever you call them) and firing homing missiles at a marker on the screen HUD. I felt a bit detached, combat didn't feel meaty or close enough for me. I'm going to try again, but I feel it probably just isn't for me.
Colony Wars has been my favourite 3D space shmup so far.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
I really wanted to like it, as the idea of a shooty space combat game really appeals to me, like the best bits from Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars and stuff. I quite liked the original Rogue Squadron on the N64 for example - but a lot of that had defined boundaries I guess, you knew where the ground was.

But I didn't really get on with the game too well. There was a hell of a lot going on all at once, which isn't a bad thing but a bit bewildering at first. It mostly felt like just chasing the ion trails (or whatever you call them) and firing homing missiles at a marker on the screen HUD. I felt a bit detached, combat didn't feel meaty or close enough for me. I'm going to try again, but I feel it probably just isn't for me.

There is a hell of a lot going on at once, yes - though never really more than in a TIE Fighter mission (though, this game being Japanese, everything is stupidly agile and seems to move faster.

The dogfighting against the swarms of generic fighters is a bit dull - which makes fire a swarm of homing missiles off and killing a dozen great. Which is a nice change from having to painstakingly kill a bunch of weak-as-fuck TIE fighters in X-Wing one by one.

The combat gets plenty meaty and close later on as large capital ships become your primary focus... or at the very least, wings of dangerous heavy bombers.

I have to admit, I didn't really think I liked it at first from the demo. It was really hard, hard to tell what was going on and I kept losing. Once I figured a few things out (especially the targetting system, which is stupidly easy given you either double tap to target what's in your sights or hold it to target the nearest enemy) I stopped worrying about the controls and started worrying about the game... and the rest was great.
Page 1 of 1 [ 29 posts ]