Cars
And the disposal of
I want, no, need, to get shot of the chavriot.

It's a Peugeot 205 XS 1.4litre on a G plate.

Basically, it's got no tax and no MOT.

To pass an MOT needs about 60 quids worth of parts and, frankly, too much of my time to be bothered with, couple with the fact that insuring it, and taxing it will be more than I paid for it.

What's the best way of getting rid of it?
Local tat yard, probably. That or FIRE! huhhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh FIRE!
A rag wick in the tank and a lighter.
Scrappies pay 150 for running cars now. Of course, if they need to pick it up due to the lack of MOT etc, they'll knock a bit off that.
I put my old metro in the local paper for spare or repair.
Local Councils usually do a cheap / free car disposal service. Try them. Or just shove it into the canal.
The advert for these guys (http://www.webuyanycar.com/) is on the radio all the GOD DAMN TIME.

Could be worth a try. Other than that, call a wrecking yard/scrap merchant or someone similar. I've gotten rid of two cars this way (although one of them I paid to have taken away and he then sold it on -without notifying the DVLA- the git).
kalmar wrote:
Scrappies pay 150 for running cars now. Of course, if they need to pick it up due to the lack of MOT etc, they'll knock a bit off that.

this. If your getting rid, take it to a scrappy. scrap prices are going though the roof recently.
I got charged £25 to have a scrappy take my car off my hands, the one time one died on me (half way around the M25, fact fans!) - this was especially infuriating considering I'd just paid £100 to a different scrappy to get a new wing mirror for it.
Banger racing.
I just put my tatty old Vectra on eBay and got 200 smackers for it, and a recovery truck even came and picked it up. Give that option a try, just make sure that you specify that it's knackered and that it's got no tax nor MOT. Some recovery company will probably buy it, simply to take it to the scrappers themselves.
Kern wrote:
Banger racing.

We wanted to do that too, but it's a lot of time, money and effort to get all the roll cage and the safety fuel tank put in.

Unless you can get in touch with Michael Carroll, obv.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Kern wrote:
Banger racing.
We wanted to do that too, but it's a lot of time, money and effort to get all the roll cage
Scaffolding. Get old scaffold poles. Smash windows out. Strip interior down to bare metal. Place the poles inside the car and wind them out until they are starting to bend the frame outwards. Repeat all around the frame, instant roll cage. Apply arc welder liberally.

Quote:
the safety fuel tank put in.
Not to sure how reinforced the tank has to be, but it's mostly a matter of bolting it somewhere inside the cage and running the fuel lines in. Also, remember to reposition the radiator inside the cage though, or your race won't last long.

Note: I've never done this. If you follow advice you may die.
andyb wrote:
this. If your getting rid, take it to a scrappy. scrap prices are going though the roof recently.

I was recently told by one of the extremely rare polite pikeys (sorry, 'travelling folk') near to where I live that this is because "the Chinese are buying it all up". Sign of a war about to start apparentely.

I am duly building my fallout shelter as we speak.
I think it is because of the chinese. Need all that metal to make bridges and skyscrapers. Apparently, it's now well worth grabbing any copper piping you find in skips and selling that to scrap merchants.
Zio wrote:
andyb wrote:

I was recently told by one of the extremely rare polite pikeys (sorry, 'travelling folk') near to where I live that this is because "the Chinese are buying it all up". Sign of a war about to start apparentely.

I am duly building my fallout shelter as we speak.

It is due to demand overseas, China, India etc. Whether it's signs of impending war, I wouldn't want to say.
Squirt wrote:
I think it is because of the chinese. Need all that metal to make bridges and skyscrapers. Apparently, it's now well worth grabbing any copper piping you find in skips and selling that to scrap merchants.
A bloke was killed in the village near here last week grabbing all the copper he could find... from an electricity substation. He got the copper, plus an extra eleven thousand volts he wasn't counting on.
Shocking behaviour.
The things people will do for a buzz.
Ohm my goodness, that would be met with some resistance. I hope that this story is grounded in fact.
he doesn't sound like a bright spark
The coppers could have charged him with trespass and battery.
I do wonder if we should treat current events with more sympathy.
I think the thieves need to make a volt face on this and realise that they can't just get amped up and steal watt they want. Even if they don't get hurtz they could still spend a night in the cells.

(The story in question)

I'm really sorry
The potential for earning must have galvanised them into action. The outcome cannot be rectified now.
richardgaywood wrote:
I think the thieves need to make a volt face on this and realise that they can't just get amped up and steal watt they want. Even if they don't get hurtz they could still spend a night in the cells.

5 bananas :D
Is there no end to the parallels you'll draw between this story and electronic terminology? It's like you have no resistance. Ohmmygod :)
kalmar wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
5 bananas :D
Thanks, I've been working on it all morning, on and off! Yours was pretty good too, "rectified" was good thinking.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
Is there no end to the parallels you'll draw between this story and electronic terminology? It's like you have no resistance. Ohmmygod :)

Our capacitance to generate bad puns is infinite.
We should have a wiki site where we could re-edit pun runs like this into a single paragraph filled to the brim with punny goodness.
That would be taking it too far(ad).
Squirt wrote:

Joule have to apologise for that ohm.
kalmar wrote:
Squirt wrote:

Joule have to apologise for that ohm.

There's so little potential difference between a good and a bad pubn...
205s are used a lot in club racing and rallycross etc. Someone is bound to want a tidy shell.
My kid brother is looking out for his first car, so if anyone knows of anything cheap with a small engine and six or more months of MOT (near London or Bedford) I'll be interested.
Grim... wrote:
My kid brother is looking out for his first car, so if anyone knows of anything cheap with a small engine and six or more months of MOT (near London or Bedford) I'll be interested.

It needs: new brake discs, CV joint boot, brake pads, and you'll need to work out why the switch isn't functioning to turn the rear brake lights on. Cost to fix is about 60quid. You want to come and collect it, you're more than welcome. I'm just not in the mood to get it fixed.
MaliA wrote:
You want to come and collect it

Where from?
Ee, a bit far.
Ta anyway.
Grim... wrote:
Ee, a bit far.
Ta anyway.

No probs.
Page 1 of 1 [ 41 posts ]