REC
An horror movie discussion
Has anyone seen this spanish movie already?

Pretty good, i'd say its the best since Tale of two sisters. Or even Ringu/the Ring.
I really didn't think A Tale of Two Sisters was all that great. Certainly nowhere near as good as Ringu.
Hmm, I shall have to check that out. I have a fairly comprehensive collection of cult horror / alternative cinema stuff, but I've only ever watched about 15% of it. Must sit down and watch something soon (for the first time in months).
I never found Ringu scary...

pupil wrote:
I never found Ringu scary...

Curses! Beat me to the inevitable Pingu/Ringu jape. >:|
Agree, this was a decent film.
i thought the american remake of Ringu was an improvement in every possible way. And no, no one can convince me otherwise.

Tale of two sisters was slightly confusing, but it had an extreme atmosphere of creepiness.
RuySan wrote:
i thought the american remake of Ringu was an improvement in every possible way.

RuySan, yesterday.
Stuart Ashen wrote:
RuySan wrote:
i thought the american remake of Ringu was an improvement in every possible way.

your effort to be funny failed. And i'm yet to hear why the original is better. Just compare the build-up to the first scene. The japanese was completely forgetabble, and when i saw the American i was pleasantly surprised at such wonderful directing. Evey detail little detail is amazing.

And i know its the cool think to do to defend the originals and say all remakes are shit (which maybe its true, and this is the exception that proves the rule). But the Ring is better.
RuySan wrote:
your effort to be funny failed.

Story of my life, that.

For the record, I thought pretty much every aspect of the remake was inferior to the original (except the fact it was in English, which I obviously found handy). The American one just had no feeling of menace for me - I think the original tapped into the spiritual side of Japanese culture, all that wind & ghosts stuff, which added credence to the story. I found the remake's male lead unconvincing too, which ruined pretty much every scene he was in for me. The distorted faces on the corpses were gratuitous and a bit silly too, although that was much less of a problem.

But hey, to each their own. It was certainly far superior to the horrid remake of The Grudge...
the grudge remake was awful, but in their defense, the source movie wasn't any good,

I'm not much into Japanese culture. I think asian movies in general are style over substance. They're something about human relations that always feel very fake to me, but its probably just a cultural barrier. Not that its got anything to do with my preference of The Ring over the original, as that's just a matter of directing. As the "menacing" thing i feel quite the opposite. The american had a sense of dread all over it, while i in the japanese only the last scene was creeping imo. Come on, the distorted faces were really creeping. I remember the one in the closet, where people in the cinema were buzzing about it still 5 min after.

And everyone should absolutely watch REC. It's a mix between dawn of the dead and The blair witch project. But that's selling it short, since it's the creepiest zombie movie i've ever seen.
Zombies, you say? This has a date with my DVD player methinks.
I considered going to watch this on my birthday, but we went to see Pathology instead. Sounds like this might be worth a visit this weekend :)
I don't generally get scared by films, but The Ring really messed with my head. I thought it was really good (though this was probably heightened by watching it in a friend's place late at night that he had downloaded... oh no, we're going to get the call!!!).
RuySan wrote:
i thought the american remake of Ringu was an improvement in every possible way. And no, no one can convince me otherwise.

No. Good heavens no. You're not worth convincing.

I will check out REC though as that sounds aces.
Curiosity wrote:
I don't generally get scared by films, but The Ring really messed with my head. I thought it was really good (though this was probably heightened by watching it in a friend's place late at night that he had downloaded... oh no, we're going to get the call!!!).

I watched Ringu round a mate's house late at night. Just as the film ended, the phone rang. Nearly soiled myself. When I got home I had to turn the TV in my room round so it was facing away from me. Brrrrr.

The only other film to have wound me up that much was Event Horizon. Which is a brilliant film. Yes. It. Is. Anyone who says otherwise is a deluded fool who has had a soul-ectomy.
I love Event Horizon too. Can't figure out why it got such a panning from some folks.

Son of Gummage hasn't done much lately though has he?
Zardoz wrote:
I love Event Horizon too. Can't figure out why it got such a panning from some folks.

It's an Internet Requirement to dismiss any Paul WS Anderson film.
AceAceBaby wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

It's an Internet Requirement to dismiss any Paul WS Anderson film.

I move to have that Internet Requirement stricken from the rulebooks as being unconstitutional. And, y'know, wrong.
I have to utterly disagree about American the Ring being better than the oringinal.
To be honest most of the these scary films are far better as original Japanese version imo.
Shewolf wrote:
most.

i agree
Ok most as in all I can think of at this moment that I have seen. Image
Zardoz wrote:

It's a great scifi horror, though the tension is ruined by a couple of ill advised "comedy relief" moments that really shouldn't be in there, I dunno if thats Anderson's fault though, still his best film imo.
The (american) remake of the (american) Omen was loads better, IMO.
Person not into Japanese culture finds Japanese media unfufilling. :bulb:
Page 1 of 1 [ 25 posts ]