Lists
management
Tell me what you think of this idea, please...

People like to make lists. Things like the 'Brown paper packages' thread. In a way, the Bits & Bobs thread is a bit like a list thread, when it's less conversational and more a series of non-sequiters. Which isn't a bad thing.

I was going to start a 'Favourite albums'-style thread, before I paused and wondered if I wouldn't be inviting some kind of rush on threads full of bloggy list-making. I don't think that's a bad thing as such, but I don't want to just take my opinion... Also, it might infuriate some of those who want to see more consided, serious threads about how to fix a DVD writer using some salt. Also not a bad thing, those threads, even if 90% of them going over my head.

So, I was wondering. Maybe if we had a sub-forum that was for lists? Favourite albums, favourite bands, favourite TV shows, all that kind of stuff.

See... we're going to always get those who like to make lists. And there are some for whom that kind of memey thing is what they go in for - when it comes to posting themselves. A lot of otherwise silent lurky types might be persuaded to speak because damnit In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is the best album ever damnit. And maybe we can then cajole them into talking further.

I'm not too sure about having it as a sub-forum, but I think it's a topic of discussion that's worth engaging in. That's basically what I'm saying here. They're fun to do, too. :munkeh:
I think this would be a bad idea. Mostly because I simply can't see the point of fracturing the forms further, but it's nothing more than personal opinion.
Just slap "List-me-do" in the Subtitle, and people can avoid it if they wish.
What a fantastically practical and simple idea, Sheepeh. I wonder if maybe some kind of list-me-do icon too. Or, some kind anything-me-do icon.

@Mimi, yeah, I agree that it'd be bad to fracture the forum further with lots of sub-forums. What do you think of just using clear subtitles and icons for this sort of thing?

And by 'this sort of thing' I mean *everything*. I do wonder if maybe Sports ought to be let back in here again in a similar fashion. Sports fans?
Yes, maybe a lists icon would work - if the word 'list' were included in the subtitle then it would be handy for search purposes too, I guess.
Yep, I think Favourite Albums - List-me-do is fairly clear if people want to avoid it :)

I for one look forward to providing lists of folk/country/incredibly-slow-metal stuff that no-one else is interested in!
Maybe if we could have some kind of drop-down box for quickly saying 'This is a sports thread' or 'this is a RMD thread' or something..

Hi Grim...!
Can we have a list of list threads thread?
I support Dudley, like an incredibly comfy bra.
Dimrill wrote:
like an incredibly comfy bra.

No such thing.
since this is just peoples favourite albums or favourite whatevers, couldnt we just put it up in the recommendations thread because surely thats the main point of threads like this.
Dudley wrote:
Can we have a list of list threads thread?

That would have to be kept to a single list, or we'd end up with a list of list of list threads threads thread.
I love lists!
Mainly because without them I'd never get anything done because my memory is so bad.
Bring on lists.
    My favourite lists:

• Favourite albums
  • Favourite books
  • Favourite lists
  • Favourite (favourite list) lists
  • Eggs
  • Favourite [favourite list (fav - (That's enough of that - Ed)
Mimi wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

No such thing.

Have you ever tried a Rigby and Peller?
Hey imagine how useful a WIKI would be for such things..
Shewolf wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

No such thing.

No, but some of hose are very pretty!. It's my own fault - I like to go for something 'wow' rather than anything that's in the least bit practical :P I often spend a helluva lot of money on underwear just because I walk around the shop going 'oooohhhhh'.
Mimi wrote:
Shewolf wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

No such thing.

No, but some of hose are very pretty!. It's my own fault - I like to go for something 'wow' rather than anything that's in the least bit practical :P I often spend a helluva lot of money on underwear just because I walk around the shop going 'oooohhhhh'.

I'd recommend saving up for some..and getting measured first by the peoples.
(*Saving up if like me you cannot afford such things without doing so)
Me sister swears by them.
Mimi wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

No such thing.

The missus speaks very highly of my hands...

*arf arf*
Am I going to have to start yelling people for making worthless and pointless comments in 'forum business' threads? In what was intended as a serious, 'Hey, everyone, this is your forum so how about this - yes or no?' post, that couldn't have been more clearly written? I see now that many of you would be better off toiling on restricted posts, under the whip of despotism than make good use of democracy. This is all very useful information for future metaphors I might make. Also, pitiful.
Sorry - I think people understood that a decision had already been reached on this matter.
Alas, no.

I asked if Sports thread fans would like to be back in the same thread. In other threads elseehere, folks have been saying 'Let us rid ourselves of the Recommendations thread, for now we have working search, and stuff!'. I was hoping people had seen this/had memories.

Also asked if maybe it would be worth having some kind of 'Choose your thread type!' for safe, quicky, easy, non-mess, non-stick generalization. Which would mean that we could then have every thread classified, pigeon-holed. WEB PEOPLE with their thinking caps on should hopefully be able to see why that'd be a really good thing.

Regardless of feelings about lists, that's some good-thinking about sensible forum business right there guy. I am annoyed that it is shit upon. AND that fucking poster has been put up right outside my fucking house. Seriously, wtf.
Shut up CUS. Mimi, keep telling us about your lacy undies. List them. ;)
Oh! Dimrill is right.

I can't believe what a fool I have been! ('We can!') Fuck right off.
I'm now utterly confused.
I don't want to say "Mimi's Lacy Undies > Forum Discussion > Lists", but well, there you have it.
Aside from the fact that all topics go awry...I'm not sure how in depth a convo on lists can go.
what else would you like to discuss exactly? I like lists. The are structured.
CUS wrote:
"Mimi's Lacy Undies > Forum Discussion > Lists

Hurrah, sense at last.
Shewolf wrote:
Aside from the fact that all topics go awry...I'm not sure how in depth a convo on lists can go.
what else would you like to discuss exactly? I like lists. The are structured.

The things in the post that I did when I said what the things were that I had said before in the posts where I had asked people things in the first place. Obviously.

Y'see folks, I honestly don't give a :munkeh: what people talk about, but it does rile me and concern me, that there is a 'In a serious thread, only talk of serious things until the matter is settled and sorted LIKE STU DID IT!' camp and a 'Wahey talk about anything anywhere because we're all on (fermented) sugar! LIKE STU DID IT!' camp. You are opposed. I am attempting to delegate.

Do you see my problem? ... And that's a pre-emptive Fuck Right Off to whomever... ;)
CUS wrote:

Do you see my problem?

No..but I do hope you get it sorted?
I do however now have a headache and am going to lay down for a bit I think. Image
You wouldn't know about it. It's a WOS hangover problem. Ironically, you have the hangover*. How ironic.

* poetic license.
Maybe, as well as a List icon etc, a SERIOUS BUSINESS icon or something should be added. In a thread marked as SERIOUS BUSINESS, larking just gets BALEETED.

Or, of course you could just make a SERIOUS SUBSECTION OF SERIOUS STUFF, in which much the same applies.

I think people are getting confused as to what's a serious thread and what isn't.
There has already been talk in the mod area of a 'Serious Thread' dimlie / icon amongst others, which is what led me to think 'Aha now let us expand this paradigm out of the box!', and then throw my toys out the pram when it didn't go how I wated.

Also for example a 'Wahey plinth!' silly dimlie for 'anything goes' threads of daftness. And various others besides.

My, this situation certainly is ironic.
[quote=Mimi] I often spend a helluva lot of money on underwear just because I walk around the shop going 'oooohhhhh'.[/quote]

Me too!...

erm.

Nothing to see here! Move along!
Page 1 of 1 [ 34 posts ]