Gaming Magazines
and the discussion thereof

Which was more boring?
Amiga Format  19%  [ 4 ]
CU Amiga  9%  [ 2 ]
Amiga Shopper  71%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 21
Nope, just through their site. They're quite staunchly independent. You can get the download-only PDF for £1.49 if you don't want the glorious, glossy, lip-smacking paper version.
Remember when games magazines had 'awards', which would often appear on the boxes of games?

Ahm them's the days'm. Nowadays it's metacritic and fuck all else. AND THEY HAVEN'T EVEN GOT A BADGE FOR THEM
Amiga Power was the first magazine I remember doing away with awards, or at least never having one of its own in the first place. Which seemed mildly radical at the time. As did using ratings of 90% or above very sparingly.
Did they not? I'm sure they did.

Edit: nope, they didn't. I guess I was thinking oboe thing else.
Grim... wrote:
Did they not? I'm sure they did.

Edit: nope, they didn't. I guess I was thinking oboe thing else.

Pink?
Quote:
I've never seen the box art for Gloom.

What 'bout Fears?
It's £6.99 for that Pixel Nation Magazine in printed form. Is it really that good Dimrill?
I like it muchly. Some good reads in it. The Amiga 1200 article is a bit lacklustre, but at least enthusiastic.
TheVision wrote:
It's £6.99 for that Pixel Nation Magazine in printed form. Is it really that good Dimrill?

Imagine if you had to buy an iPad and buy it digitally. It would cost hundreds!
I already have an iPad.. but I like the looks of it in magazine form.
They include the digital version with the print version, so you'll get both. Like.
Oh yeah, I see that now. I might just get it. If I don't like it, I can always come back to you for my money back can't I?
NBop.e

It'll certainly allow you to decide whether you want issue 2. Which is...... EVEN BETTER ZOMG
How easy is it to sell magazines anyway? I've looked on EBay, which I'd need to use my wife's account for, and it seems like most things I've got that are on there are 99p with no bids and a few days to go. Some stuff seems to have a buy it now of seven or eight quid.

My problem is I have large collections of stuff, but they aren't complete. I'm half tempted to keep most things and chuck the rest out.
Depends on the magazine. Amiga Format doesn't sell, but The One and Amiga Power fly. Same with the Speccy stuff, Crash always seems to sell but not at great prices, but Sinclair User can sit there for months. Whatcher got? I might be interested, like, y'see.
I think ouve got everything I've got...edges, GameStm, retro gamers, Nintendo official from when they relaunched in 04, etc.
I have a single Your Sinclair from 1987. The cover game picture is of Psycho Pig UXB.
DavPaz wrote:
I have a single Your Sinclair from 1987. The cover game picture is of Psycho Pig UXB.

You poor sod. There's an excellent opportunity on eBay to boost your collection.
A remarkably un-PC pro-PC article by Mel Croucher in the first issue of The Games Machine. I'm probably wrong again.
CraigGrannell wrote:
Apple II piece next month that I worked insanely hard to research and write,

I enjoyed that. It told me things I dain't already knew.
Mylar bagging my Amiga Powers! MYYYYLARRRRRRR!
Dimrill wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:
Apple II piece next month that I worked insanely hard to research and write,

I enjoyed that. It told me things I dain't already knew.

Glad to hear it. Here's hoping my copy actually shows up at some point soon…
Anyone ever used HP's MagCloud? I've just ordered the first two issues of The *retch* Indie *bleugrhgrhghr* Game Magazine from them. There's another mag called JumpButton on there that looks quite tasty, more arty. But no one on here cares about that.
NO YOU DON'T! *throws vase* *runs off in tears*
Six issues of Amtix arrived today. *covets* Mmmm. Rarey.
Dimrill wrote:
NO YOU DON'T! *throws vase* *runs off in tears*

I cared about that vase, you heartless fiend!
*sobs*
HONK! HONK! Postman Pat mention in the Imagine Software feature in this month's Retro gamer. I will not rest until it's gived its own feature.
Gods' pockets I love me mylar bags I do.
*picture of Xena in mylar from The Simpsons*

*innuendo*
Dimrill wrote:
Six issues of Amtix arrived today. *covets* Mmmm. Rarey.

One of the writers for Amtix* has changed career completely and is currently having a website done via our company.

He wrote a few reviews for Zzzap 64 as well I think, it's odd to now be dealing with someone who I've read articles from in my youth!

* Massimo Valducci
I think I've used his coffee machine.

Mel Croucher on MTV in 1987. Games Machine issue 2.
Dimrill wrote:
A remarkably un-PC pro-PC article by Mel Croucher in the first issue of The Games Machine. I'm probably wrong again.

Too bad it wasn't written for PC Pro, eh?

There were plenty of articles like that around back in the day, I remember every year EGM would do a 'video game babes too hot for the West' thing and show scantily clad anime girls from TG16 RPGs or the naked fairies in Stormlord.

Also, buying Barbarian for the poster? No, buying it for the spinning decapitation move! And then an imp comes onto the screen grumbling and kicks the head away! AWESOME!
A cover suitable for Viz's "Up The Arse Corner"

Wonderful advert.
Attachment:
timesoflore.jpg

Let's take a more closlier look at that, eh?
Attachment:
timesoflore-detail.jpg
Are you watching Wrestlers and Bodybuilders? That's you at 50.
Has the troll just finished raping him, and that's what it's done to his backside?

Also, what the hell are those... fields... they're standing in? Giant yellow ears of corn and normal sized potatoes but growing above the ground?
It's GoatSe-Man.
Look at this artful opening paragraph to the Espionage review in ACE 12.
It's like... Kierdan Gillenhead.
So, I've been having a bit of a sort out recently, and it seems I have rather a lot of magazines that are just taking up space. I've not worked out the best tactics for ebay yet, so I'll see if any of you lot want them (the cottage would be an ideal collections spot).
And yes, WTB, that PC Zone issue you were on about is still here if you'd like it.

PC Zone - Mostly seem to be in pretty good condition and I also seem to have a few boxes of cds/dvds that go with them:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
27 - 83 (Jun 95 - Dec 99)
85 - 89 (Jan 00 - May 00)
92 (Aug 00)
95 (Nov 00)
97 - 103 (Xmas 00 - Jun 01)
106 - (Sep 01)
108 - 133 (Nov 01 - Oct 03)
136 - 141 (Xmas 03 - May 04)
143 - 144 (Jul - Aug 04)
146 (Oct 04)
149 - 150 (Xmas 04 - Jan 05)
156 (Jul 05)
158 - 164 (Sep 05 - Feb 06)
166 - 169 (Apr 06 - Jul 06)
177 - 179 (Feb 07 - Apr 07)
181 (Jun 07)
184 (Sep 07)
186 - 191 (Nov 07 - Mar 08)
195 - 197 (Jul 08 - Sep 08)
I was a subscriber from sometime around 2001/02 until I stopped buying it altogether, so I've no idea why there are so many gaps over that period.

I've also got issues 12-15, 27- 29 & 31 of Official Nintendo Magazine and 19 - 38 of Official Playstation Magazine (from 1997-98), as well as a handful of other console magazines from the early 2000's.

I can't imagine anyone will be interested, but I also have some fairly dusty/tatty copies of The One (Amiga), Mean Machines and C+VG (mostly late 80's I think, but a few from the early 80's and some from the 90's).
I'm interested in your PC Zones, The One, Mean Machines and CVGs! What'cher want for em? Eh? EH? Whatyer want JOANS?! TELL ME!
Simple answer, no idea.
If my counting was correct the other day, there's 155 issues of PC Zone there, and I'll have a look through the discs to see which ones I've got (if you have any interest in the discs?)

The Mean Machines aren't too tatty, and I'm missing issues 3, 14 & 21 (out of the 24), although I do have a bonus copy of Mean Machines Sega (issue 9).
The Ones are a bit rough on the spines because of how they've been stored (in an open box under a dusty bed)
Issues: Jul 93 - Sep 93, Nov 93 - Jan 94, Apr 94 - Jul 95 (22 issues)

The CVGs start off in pretty terrible condition, and the earliest few don't even have covers, so the September 88 issue is the first one I can easily identify (and that's missing the back cover :shrug: ). The March 89 issue seems to be the first one I've got with both covers intact (although I felt the need at some point to helpfully write on that it was issue 88). And they carry on like that, only really the "latest" four issues that I've got are in any sort of decent condition (126, 128, 134 & 140).

I think I'm going to start sneezing again now. :(
*rubs hands together* How about a tender, lingering kiss? I'll willing to go up to a tongue massage of the gums, but no further! £30?
I sometimes fantasise about having very few possessions. Living like a monk. Like Ghost Dog or something.

As well as all the music, my (near) collection of Super Plays mean that will never happen. Can't get rid. See also: my Edges.
My foist material possession!

throughsilver wrote:
I sometimes fantasise about having very few possessions. Living like a monk. Like Ghost Dog or something.

It was 'great' only having my laptop, phone, iPod a lamp and a sofabed! Amazing! Best week of my life!
Dimrill wrote:
Anyone ever used HP's MagCloud? I've just ordered the first two issues of The *retch* Indie *bleugrhgrhghr* Game Magazine from them. There's another mag called JumpButton on there that looks quite tasty, more arty. But no one on here cares about that.

MagCloud = good.
Indie Game Mag = appallingly written pamphlet. Issue 1 is 12 pages long including the cover and rear.
Page 8 of 21 [ 1028 posts ]