Gaming Magazines
and the discussion thereof

Which was more boring?
Amiga Format  19%  [ 4 ]
CU Amiga  9%  [ 2 ]
Amiga Shopper  71%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 21
Dimrill wrote:
How about some magazine features, too? I think that Newsfield's balls are over moistened by avid tongues, but what about Amiga Power? Are you not allowed to mention anything published by Future since Imagine took over or something?

Apparently so, which is why an article on Super Play couldn't be included in the magazine. (It was made available online, thankfully.)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/0 ... y_magazine
Dimrill wrote:
REALLY fed up of Matthew fucking Smith.

Genuinely can't recall the last time Smith was in the mag as anything other than a passing reference. It's been years though.

Quote:
Do a huge article on Postman Pat. First GTA game, that.

You mean like the six-page making-of in issue 100, or maybe the series overview in issue 50?

Dimrill wrote:
Who pissed off Archer too? I used to love his arcade refurbing diaries.

No-one pissed him off—he decided he didn't have time to continue writing for the magazine. See also: why the Dropzone article I was commissioned to write for the mag (intending to also cover the arcade version that was never released) never happened.

Dimrill wrote:
How about some magazine features, too? I think that Newsfield's balls are over moistened by avid tongues, but what about Amiga Power? Are you not allowed to mention anything published by Future since Imagine took over or something?

Imagine would be able to mention it, but Future would almost certainly block permission to reprint any of it. I suspect RG could get away with thumbs of covers through whatever fair-use is lurking in British law, but it's still a risk that I imagine the mag's not willing to take.
CraigGrannell wrote:
Quote:
Do a huge article on Postman Pat. First GTA game, that.

You mean like the six-page making-of in issue 100, or maybe the series overview in issue 50?

I enjoyed the issue 50 dissection of Ted Glen's sheep. Very informative.
Reading my old Zero mags. This game looks fuckin mazin.
Horribly addictive! Class!
I wish with every fibre of my being I could get hold of this video.
The telephone number is invalid... Pah.
The company's still going.. I think http://www.telegames.co.uk/ Same logo.

Or maybe it's these.
Oof. Look at this beauty..

Hero of Excellence wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Apparently so, which is why an article on Super Play couldn't be included in the magazine. (It was made available online, thankfully.)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2011/0 ... y_magazine

That was a blimmin good read. Hobbled Gamer's loss I suppose.
Help me. Now my Crash collection is almost complete, I'm seriously thinking of collecting Sinclair User next. Lawks.
Surely you should be upgrading to Zzap 64?
Prices are ridiculous on them.
I'd give you my full set of them if you could collect.

But I only ever bought a few issues and they got thrown away.
When will you be moving onto Razzle and Mayfair?
I imagine it would be hard to get a full back catralogue in good condition.

:spew:
Dimrill wrote:
I wish with every fibre of my being I could get hold of this video.

Not the actual VHS, but...

Oh You fucking beauty.
Of particular interest to TheVision and possibly Governmentyard. How do we sell our football game? RACISM! That's it!
Without wishing to get technical, "Argentinian" isn't a race, you know. They're just like us, only they can't pronounce "Falklands".
XENOPHOBIA! then
Dimrill wrote:
XENOPHOBIA! then

Weeeeell, more "making a shitty joke about a particular actual thing that happened in football in an England/Argentina match and referencing the relevant player'scheating tit's descent into cocaine fuelled weirdness and unfitness", but yeah.
Of course, thank you for the correction. I'll ignore the "swarthy rivals" and "oily tactics" now.
Dimrill wrote:
Of course, thank you for the correction. I'll ignore the "swarthy rivals" and "oily tactics" now.

"Swarthy" isn't racist (and even less so xenophobic), and "oily tactics" would be referring to Maradonna being a mahoosive cheat, and a bit sweaty.
I apologise again for wasting your time.
Dimrill wrote:
I apologise again for wasting your time.

No, no, clearly I need to apologise for disagreeing with you. As you were. Ignore me.
?:|
:kiss:
Dimrill wrote:
Of particular interest to TheVision and possibly Governmentyard. How do we sell our football game? RACISM! That's it!

Proof once again that football is rubbish. ;)

Seriously, I think I remember seeing that advert back when the game came out and I vaguely remember thinking that they couldn't get away with that.
I might be a bad person, but the "oily tactics" line had me in stitches. And still does to be honest.
Evil racist gnome.

That Telegames video is superb. His explanation of PAL and NTSC is amazing. I also like how he claims "arcade quality" games on the Colecovision and is still actually mentioning it as a viable platform in the 90s.
Anybody got issues 3, 6, 22 and 23 to complete my Arcade collection?
Also travelling to strange lands called "Bootle" (sounds made up to me)on Sunday in order to capture the first 126 issues of Edge. Regretting throwing away the first 24 issues in cardboard binders 15 years ago now. mangly.
I remember the ad and game now. It's certainly rather jingoistic, our moral high ground stemming from not lowering ourselves to the Argentinian level of sportsmanship.

Even so, a bit of racist advertising was far from the worst thing about that game.
I missed the sulky one in the background saying "I will not shake hands"!!! I'm off again! :DD
Dimrill wrote:
Evil racist gnome.

That Telegames video is superb. His explanation of PAL and NTSC is amazing. I also like how he claims "arcade quality" games on the Colecovision and is still actually mentioning it as a viable platform in the 90s.

I like how he calls them all "consles" and also that he sounds a lot like Alan Partridge doing a corporate video.
Excellent repository of Amiga Box scans. Fair gives me a lump in me throat it do.

"WE DON'T CARE!"

oh.
If only someone had access to an A3 printer in his office at work.. then he'd be able to print himself off a Rise of Robots box cover poster first thing Monday morning before the boss comes in.

If only...

Ace find Dimrill! :metul:
You... bloody scamp.
*weeps at gaming changes*

No Shadow Fighter. :(
Quick spot the difference...

and...

All of the Psygnosis covers were lovely. Roger Dean, man. Class.
I've never seen the box art for Gloom.

Now I wish I hadn't.
TheVision wrote:
If only someone had access to an A3 printer in his office at work.. then he'd be able to print himself off a Rise of Robots box cover poster first thing Monday morning before the boss comes in.

If only...

Ace find Dimrill! :metul:

Pft... I have access to multiple a3 printers and no boss on mondays. A3 colour print of Magic Pockets, anyone?
TheVision wrote:
Quick spot the difference...

and...

There's a giraffe's neck that wandered into shoring the first one. They must have photoshopped the giraffe out in the second.
Dimrill wrote:
Excellent repository of Amiga Box scans. Fair gives me a lump in me throat it do.
:'(

My A500+ is long gone, but it's spirit lives on through UAE :luv:

I wasted hours on this back in the day. I'm gonna track it down later & finally beat it :)
Fuck Bootle. Seriously, fuck it up the arse. A3056 shut? One diversion sign. ONE. "turn left and follow to world's end". Had to feel my way through Liverpool with only a post-it note of directions based off the assumption that the A3056 was open. Still, managed to find it and am now 126 Edges richer. From an ex-Psygnosis worker too.
You could have called in for a slurp of my damp teabags. Ne'er mind.
I've said it before, but I'll MASSIVELY REITERATE that Pixel Nation (pixel-nation.co.uk) is so incredibly worth picking up.

Excellent interview with Bob Wakelin, artist for 90% of Ocean's box-art. Lindsay Robertson's diary of a girl-gamer is also very good, writing about female game protagonists incredibly in-depth. ho ho. Massive Outrun article. A history of 16-bit console piracy, which is both unusual and vastly interesting. Loads more too.
DavPaz wrote:
You could have called in for a slurp of my damp teabags. Ne'er mind.

Where's you live then? I thought you were more central Liverpool. I was in the devastation of boarded up Bread houses.
Is that Pixel Nation a shop magazine or an online one?
Page 7 of 21 [ 1028 posts ]