Gaming Magazines
and the discussion thereof

Which was more boring?
Amiga Format  19%  [ 4 ]
CU Amiga  9%  [ 2 ]
Amiga Shopper  71%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 21
I actually did read that Eurogamer review myself yesterday, and although I'm usually pretty 'meh' about this kind of thing, I did find that pretty apalling. There's no way of getting around the fact that charging £25 for a lazy ROM dump because it comes in a nice box is outrageous.
Retro Gamer well worth picking up this month. Huge feature on Amiga indie PD. Interview with Eric Schwartz. Making of Liberation! One of my favourite games were, that.
Dimrill wrote:
Retro Gamer well worth picking up this month. Huge feature on Amiga indie PD. Interview with Eric Schwartz. Making of Liberation! One of my favourite games were, that.

Issue no.?
I ended up switching my physical copies to an electronic subscription to it via Zinio http://gb.zinio.com/ but it does mean that its an extra few days before i get to see the new editions :-(
I remember wanting to play Liberation so much. Stupid bloody being poor.

I freaking lurved Captive, awesome robot laser pew pew shooty push walls about goodness that it was.

And Knightmare.

And Dungeon Master.

Y'know I never played Chaos Strikes Back and it haunts me to this day. Is there a free Amiga emulator that works these days without having to buy DOSRAM or whatever it's called?

I never did like Eye of the Beholder though.

Ooh, I liked that other one though. Black something? Black Gate? Y'know, it was like Dungeon Master (obviously). It definately had Black in the title. Probably. But it might not have. Anyway, it was good. Vee dot good. It was on the Amiga and came in a gorgeous cardboard box. Leave it with me it'll come back to me eventually. Black Sword? No.
zaphod79 wrote:
I ended up switching my physical copies to an electronic subscription to it via Zinio http://gb.zinio.com/ but it does mean that its an extra few days before i get to see the new editions :-(

Yeah, I read mine through Newsstand on the iPad now. It's not out on there yet either.
Black Crypt! That's the one. It was the best Dungeon Master game bar none. Except Dungeon Master.
If anyone feels the pressing need to get rid of their Edge or GamesTIM(!) collections, I'll like totally take them off your hands. Just floating that out there.
RIP Nintendo Power. Going since 1988, but now Nintendo want fuck all to do with it so it's shutting.
I've just closed in on a deal to fill my GamesTIM(!) gaps, so I've completed that mag off now. If anyone feels a pressing need to get rid of any other games magazines.... yo *points at own face*
I was just about to post that I may have some old GamesTM magazines to get rid of, but that's that scuppered. In the loft they'll stay.
I've got a few Sega Power mags somewhere if you're interested?
Dimrill wrote:
I've just closed in on a deal to fill my GamesTIM(!) gaps, so I've completed that mag off now. If anyone feels a pressing need to get rid of any other games magazines.... yo *points at own face*

I have a very great deal of Retro Gamers, which I stopped getting a couple of years ago. I was looking to sell them, mind you. Also plenty of DS/Wii-era Nintendo Power, quite a few Edge and quite a few Games TM. I dunno, need to sort through them. Figure out what I'm doing.
Grim... wrote:
I've got a few Sega Power mags somewhere if you're interested?

Nor arf!
GovernmentYard wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

I have a very great deal of Retro Gamers, which I stopped getting a couple of years ago. I was looking to sell them, mind you. Also plenty of DS/Wii-era Nintendo Power, quite a few Edge and quite a few Games TM. I dunno, need to sort through them. Figure out what I'm doing.

I've got a complete Retro Gamer, Your Sinclair, Amiga Power and now GamesTIM(!) but anything else I'd be interested in.
HONK HONK! Retro Gaming twats who like word read might want to check out Pixel Nation. Looks like a nice alternative to the stagnant Retro Gamer, so I'm ordering me some WORDFÜD! Oo ar aw yea.
Also worth pointing out that Boyo's trying to raise funds to print Retro Fusion issue 3. Well worth picking up the PDFs of 0 and 1 from there if you haven't already got the print editions. :smug:
Anybody read Arcade? Meatballz left me four copies of it in his dump and dash to the great white north. Appalling rag. Trying to appeal to the FHM/Loaded readers with "cool" gaming-at-your-mate's-house bollocks, and horrible gurning Rich Pelley photos. Not a single mention of him driving his Mam's car into the sea and none of his writing was in capital letters.
Back from Rushden with my GamesTIM(!) missing issues. Mmmmm. completeness.
Really? That sounds great!
Thank you! Yes I do like gaming things.
So do I. I also like gaming things.
Then we are agreed.
People still read magazines printed on paper? That's like a baby's toy.
I remember buying Arcade thinking it would be similar to Amiga Power...
Quite surprising how much character the early GamesTIM(!)s had. 10 years later and it's a pale shadow of its former self.
TheVision wrote:
I remember buying Arcade thinking it would be similar to Amiga Power...

I remember buying a single issue of Arcade, possibly 6, and thinking pretty much immediately, shit, this is a lad's mag. And it was. It was shite.
Dimrill wrote:
Back from Rushden

Rushden where I was today Rushden?
Dimrill wrote:
Anybody read Arcade? Meatballz left me four copies of it in his dump and dash to the great white north. Appalling rag. Trying to appeal to the FHM/Loaded readers with "cool" gaming-at-your-mate's-house bollocks, and horrible gurning Rich Pelley photos. Not a single mention of him driving his Mam's car into the sea and none of his writing was in capital letters.

I liked the MGS2 preview issue. But I was a teenager when that happened.
Arcade started out as a good idea but it went shit quite quickly, it was riddled with errors and typos and sheer fucking ignorance. I wasn't surprised when it died, though I was surprised to see it resurrected as the super-cheap Video Gamer (did I give you those too, Dimdims?) which didn't even last a year, possibly not even six months. There was a certain arrogance to the tone that was pretty offputting, in the whole 'gaming with your mates' thing: they figured they were gaming journos who knew it all while you were some prick who'd bought his Playstation for FIFA and Gran Turismo and therefore wouldn't understand the nuances of anything else so why bother explaining?

PC Attack, by contrast, I really liked because it did the whole "lads! beer! WAHEY! Swear at some birds and then shag 'em" a lot better. It was written in a more knowing tone and you got a sense that they'd had good fun putting it together.
Grim... wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
Back from Rushden

Rushden where I was today Rushden?

Mmmm. Rushden.
zaphod79 wrote:
I do like the cover

And it has 10 pages (including 1 and a half pages just of pictures) for the interview which has notes on each of his games - feels more like an email exchange which has been written up , but that's not entirely a bad thing

I meant to mention that Retro Gamer have already forgotten they wrote this huge Laser Squad piece and have done their usual shite three paragraphs with a huge picture filler in this month's issue. Even proudly stamping it on the cover too. So fed up of their doldrums now. Still, I fully expect them to write "more" about Mario, Zelda or Sonic soon. Been at least six months since they last did that.
Dimrill wrote:
So do I. I also like gaming things.

I like bins.
Lest we forget this gem of an advert in Crash #tumtetum.
I enjoy inbred Stone Cold's face.

"A nice chianti... pftpftpfptptptprfftftfttf"
When the PS2 came out I didn't change the way I played games at all; indeed I carried on doing it exactly the same way right up until now. H-have I been doing it wrong all these years?
Dimrill wrote:
I enjoy inbred Stone Cold's face.

:o

I remember that issue well. Wish I hadn't chucked my PC ZONES and CVGs. :(
Bamba wrote:
When the PS2 came out I didn't change the way I played games at all; indeed I carried on doing it exactly the same way right up until now. H-have I been doing it wrong all these years?

Didn't you notice the way it was engineering your emotions?
Bought PC Gamer the other day. Most of it is from the UK Edition (in fact, it seems to be almost entirely Tom Francis) and for $10.95 I got 94 pages.

Won't be bothering with that again.
I bought 50-odd issues of PC Gamer from Chesterfield to fill my cleft. 5p. BARG!
metalangel wrote:
Bought PC Gamer the other day. Most of it is from the UK Edition (in fact, it seems to be almost entirely Tom Francis) and for $10.95 I got 94 pages.

Won't be bothering with that again.

But it runs faster than console magazines.
Dimrill wrote:
I meant to mention that Retro Gamer have already forgotten they wrote this huge Laser Squad piece and have done their usual shite three paragraphs with a huge picture filler in this month's issue. Even proudly stamping it on the cover too. So fed up of their doldrums now. Still, I fully expect them to write "more" about Mario, Zelda or Sonic soon. Been at least six months since they last did that.

I have to say, I do find it odd when they do Retro Revival spreads on games already heavily covered, given the sheer number of games out there. Then again, readers bitch and whine whenever the mag goes further afield, because they're "not covering the Speccy enough", and so they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Waiting to see if there's forum indifference for the Apple II piece next month that I worked insanely hard to research and write, because, well, it's not about the Spectrum. *cynicalface*

Still, I'd argue Retro Gamer remains a hugely important gaming publication, because it's the one place that actually gives a crap about getting these stories down, before it's too late. There is the odd bit of recycling, but most articles about things already covered do so from new angles, and it's the interviews that are the important bit anyway.
I'd welcome anything new. Fed up of Mario, Zelda and Sonic. REALLY fed up of Matthew fucking Smith. Do a huge article on Postman Pat. First GTA game, that.
Who pissed off Archer too? I used to love his arcade refurbing diaries.
How about some magazine features, too? I think that Newsfield's balls are over moistened by avid tongues, but what about Amiga Power? Are you not allowed to mention anything published by Future since Imagine took over or something?
Dimrill wrote:
Do a huge article on Postman Pat. First GTA game, that.

I loved that on the Amiga. I was crap at it though.
Quote:
their usual shite three paragraphs with a huge picture filler in this month's issue

They always completely baffle me.

If you wanna include a poster, include a poster! Don't blow a screenshot up so big you can't tell what it is and then put a big whacking crease in it so all you can see is your freshly wrecked nice magazine.
Page 6 of 21 [ 1028 posts ]