Riddle me this, Batman
because I can't
The missus came home from work last night having wracked her brains all day over a conundrum she heard on Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap radio in the morning, but didn't hear the solution. I thought I'd open it up to you swines, as I can't figure it out either.

Krap Radio wrote:
Three men go to a restaurant for lunch. They each order a meal and when the bill arrives it comes to £30 exactly. They split it 3 ways and each pay £10. When the waitress goes to put it through the till, she discovers they have been overcharged by £5. She takes £2 as a tip and gives each of the men back £1, so in effect each man has paid £9 for their meal. 3 x 9 = 27, if she took £2 for a tip, where did the other pound go?
The waitress nicked it.
It's a fallacy of assumption. You're assuming that you should be looking at the difference between £30 and £27, whereas you should actually be looking at the difference between £25 and £27. £25 meal, they paid £27, the waitress took the £2. Job done.
Bostin. I'll tell the missus.
It's a quirk of the mathematics. If each bloke pays a tenner and it turns out they've been overcharged by a fiver, then they're due £5 back. That means in reality each man didn't pay £9, they paid £8.333333. It's only because they've paid the waitress a tip of £2 that the maths has shifted. £2 divided by 3 men = 67p (roughly), which accounts for the discrepancy.
Yes, this is a really old riddle I have come across many times, I am surprised you had not heard it before, Dimrill :)

But, CG - £8.33 plus 67p adds up to £9, so you are left with the same riddle. Craster had it right :luv:
I don't do riddles as they infuriate me. I am not Bilbo Baggins, no matter what people may say!
Mimi wrote:
Yes, this is a really old riddle I have come across many times, I am surprised you had not heard it before, Dimrill :)

But, CG - £8.33 plus 67p adds up to £9, so you are left with the same riddle. Craster had it right :luv:

No Mimi, that was my point. The men paid a total of £9 each which includes the tip, and they also each get £1 back, which adds up to 30. So nyeeeer :P
ComicalGnomes wrote:
Mimi wrote:

No Mimi, that was my point. The men paid a total of £9 each which includes the tip, and they also each get £1 back, which adds up to 30.

Oh, I misundrstood what you had written, sorry.

Quote:
So nyeeeer :P

No-one likes a smart-arse.
The question lies. Always check out the maths and logic before taking anything as gospel in a riddle.
You are all WRONG!

The question is
Dimrill wrote:
... where did the other pound go?

So the answer is: To the till and back.
Well no - there is no other pound. That's just the question misleading you.

9x3 = 27
27-2 = 25.

There is no pound.
The Pound is a lie.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
http://www.pimpthatsnack.com/project.php?projectID=371

This cake is great. It's so soft and moist.
Did anyone else fiddle with their HL2 installation to get the Portal gun?

It's a bit of a wonky one really, as all you actually do is dump all of the HL2 maps into the portal directory and load them manually. It basically works but the sound is a bit borked. Still, fun :)
Craster wrote:
Well no - there is no other pound. That's just the question misleading you.

9x3 = 27
27-2 = 25.

There is no pound.

No, I think you'll find I have beaten the riddler at his own game. 13 + 37 = 1337
Well, obviosuly the one pound went to the government as tax. But it's okay! If the waitress sends off for and fills in six forms, and gets married and then gets pregnant, she'll get it back.
sinister agent wrote:
Well, obviosuly the one pound went to the government as tax. But it's okay! If the waitress sends off for and fills in six forms, and gets married and then gets pregnant, she'll get it back.

If she gets pregnant without getting married first, they'll give her double.
What a crap riddle. I only got confused because the answer was utterly obvious, so was looking at it seeing what I must have missed. Kerrrrapp, in fact.
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]