Order Of The Stick
So yeah, I'm catching up on this (I have a habit of reading webcomics in large chunks). I'm nearly up to date now, I've just read about Vaarsuvius and the mother black dragon.
Familicide? Holy shit, did things get dark all of a sudden.
Anyone else read it?
No, but are those spoilz?

LNK PLZ
Zardoz wrote:
No, but are those spoilz?

LNK PLZ

They're not spoilers.

Link: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html

It's a stick-cartoon based in a D&D world, but I've never played D&D and I still get the jokes.
It's a brilliant comic.
funnily enough, I've just this very morning caught up with Goblins, a slightly odd and often gory webcomic.

It starts slowly and the art style is a little odd, but it soon becomes funny and sometimes quite dark
Order of the Stick is great...it's trailed off after the initial book as there was less and less Elan involved (although still the best of it's type on the web). As a former D&D player I find it great and of course Belkar is the best player in the piece.
Grim... wrote:
Anyone else read it?
Yep. Do you read Dr McNinja as well? Those and Garfield Minus Garfield are the only three webcomics I read.
Morte wrote:
Order of the Stick is great...it's trailed off after the initial book as there was less and less Elan involved (although still the best of it's type on the web). As a former D&D player I find it great and of course Belkar is the best player in the piece.

All of that. The "I GOT A 4!" gag still makes a regular appearance at our weekly gaming sessions whenever a Move Silently roll or equivalent gets blown.
The bit just gone with Vaarsuvius and the dragon scared me, man. S/he's a stick figure, and she was scary. Now I'm up to date again, and already impatient.
Read some Dr McNinja as light relief.
Spoiler for people that are up to date on OOTS:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Remember when Haley broke into the 'introductions' comic and stole the diamond?
Have you looked at the intro comic since?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html
ARG! FIX SPOILER! FIX SPOILER!
OOTS is absolute flipping genius. The other one on that site, The Battle For Gobwin Knob, is actually pretty good once you get into it. There are a few set piece reveals that are just gold

Like the 'Thriller' joke
I've only read OOTS in book form when it was released as an entire edition Order Of The Stick Volume 1: Dungeon Crawlin' Fools. Has more been released or is the web site pumping out new stuff?
There's usually 2-3 new strips a week.
There are around 660 strips currently. Dungeon Crawlin' Fools had the first 120 (plus some stuff not online), I think.
Grim... wrote:
Spoiler for people that are up to date on OOTS:
Remember when Haley broke into the 'introductions' comic and stole the diamond?
Have you looked at the intro comic since?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html
No, I just kind of assumed. Or I did, but was drunk, maybe.
Phew!

Caught up!
Did the V vs Dragon stuff scare you?
Grim... wrote:

The idea of Familycide was unsettling and the revelation that the other souls had no influence on V's alignment was quite an eyeopener, but scary? I'm in a big well-lit room in a comfy chair. It would take GazChap with an AK47 to scare me right now.

Or maybe an engorged Zardoz
DavPaz wrote:
Grim... wrote:

The idea of Familycide was unsettling and the revelation that the other souls had no influence on V's alignment was quite an eyeopener, but scary? I'm in a big well-lit room in a comfy chair. It would take GazChap with an AK47 to scare me right now.
No control, but constant whispering IN HIS BRAINS would be an influence, even if only a slight, unconscious one. I found that a bit iffy, but then decided it's a stick-figure web comic about D&D, so I'd stop worrying.
I found it properly unsettling.
I think the dragon's threat to V was probably scarier.
Order of the Stick is indeed excellent, and one of very few webcomics I still bother to check on more than once or twice a year. I never played D&D or all those rubbish spin-off computer games in the 90s either, but through context it's made clear what almost everything means, and hence is still funny and clever. I don't think it's trailed off at all, and am not that bothered about Elan - it's all about Redcloak, man.
Have you read "Start Of Darkness", the book that explains where Redcloak and Xykon come from? It's great.
Grim... wrote:
Have you read "Start Of Darkness", the book that explains where Redcloak and Xykon come from? It's great.

Nope. I've seen some of the references to it, though. I'll probably have a look eventually.
Huzzah, it looks like The Linear Guild are returning to Order of the Stick.
I once read from 0 to 510 or thereabouts. I need to finish off the rest, but cba :/
Chapter end, long hiatus. Bah.
Dude, it's less than 3 weeks.
Yeah, but it's his job, and updates have been properly rare for the past month or so.
Bah.
Updates have been rare ever since I caught up... coincidence?
SHUT UP that's why!
MrDavPaz wrote:
Updates have been rare ever since I caught up... coincidence?

Actually, he said in his news that he's been shit at updating recently.
But anyway, we're off again...
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0673.html
Forgot I was reading this! Thanks for the reminder.
Ooh. I'm going to save them up for a bit. I started reading after the recommendation here and caught up a couple of weeks ago.

It is an absolute joy of a comic and one I would have no hesitation in recommending to others.
:this:

I read a few last night.. they were great..
This comic is fucking shite.
Tch, you're right. What have we all been thinking?
Well I don't know about you, but I'm convinced.
Just read up to Ep50. I love it.

Not as emotionally awesome as Warbot though. *sniff*
Zardoz wrote:

Not yet. It'll get there.
Zardoz wrote:

The one Grim... linked to before (in the Warbot thread?) was properly blart-inducing. You've got about 500 strips to go yet, mind.
Up to #281 now.
The trial for weakening the fabric of the universe

It's really good!
Craster wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

The one Grim... linked to before (in the Warbot thread?) was properly blart-inducing. You've got about 500 strips to go yet, mind.

I read this in th thread at the time and was like :S I then read all the comics up to it and understood what was happening! :'(
I've just got to that strip. Fuck.
just got up to page 200 how many more to go?
Page 1 of 2 [ 73 posts ]