The Bin Thread
I wouldn’t mind paying for it if lower income families could be made exempt and the money was used for community projects and causes, or to open a blinking library back up.

Funding community gardens would be a nice circular use of that money.
Mimi wrote:
Oof. Do you have any precedent to say if they’ll collect any excess bags of recycling as well as the bin full?

No clue at this point.

My garden bin is £45 a year
Free here, but it's a communal bin, so it might be in the maintence fee of the gardens
Mine is free and so it should be.

Well, I say free... Free in the same way that Xbox Gamepass games are free.
So, free by any sane person's definition.
Cras wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Oof. Do you have any precedent to say if they’ll collect any excess bags of recycling as well as the bin full?

No clue at this point.

My garden bin is £45 a year

Wait, what? Aren't you in a first floor flat?
Yeah,. I have a garden though, it's just not 'attached'
Mimi wrote:
Here’s a question: do folks here pay for their garden bin collections, and if so, how much? Ours are free, but the local council make a very big thing of this on their website. Basically ‘be grateful, proles! You have no libraries, but you also now have no hedge trimmings!’

£52 per year here. And I reckon I put the bin out five times a year, like an idiot
East Herts DC introduced a charge in June. £45 if you paid early, £49 from then on, I think.
JBR wrote:
East Herts DC introduced a charge in June. £45 if you paid early, £49 from then on, I think.

What a savings!
DavPaz wrote:
JBR wrote:

What a savings!

So much bargains!
Tagged? Stay away from your bins.

Oxford Mail wrote:
...he admitted breaching his electronically-monitored curfew between June 8 and 18.

The court heard he’d amassed more than five hours’ worth of curfew breaches over the 10 day period.

The young chef was said to have breached the curfew by taking the bins out at the pub where he was living and working
It took him five hours to take the bins out over a week and a half?
Perhaps they had starters and went to a movie afterwards.
Kern wrote:
Perhaps they had starters and went to a movie afterwards.

:DD
Still no recycling collections. Becoming troublesome
Cras wrote:
Still no recycling collections. Becoming troublesome

How long is that now? Think I'd struggle to go beyond missing one collection (ours are fortnightly)
I think this is week eight
Cras wrote:
I think this is week eight

Jaysus. What are you doing with all your recycling?

Why isn't there rioting on the streets in wherever you are?
Well there's a lot of bins on the streets. Bexley is pretty good for local recycling centres though they're of course now busy as hell. I'm lucky that I live alone and only generate waste for one, though even I'm struggling at this point
this is a binjustice.
It's a complete waste of your time
I can’t believe they’d refuse to collect it.
They've wheelie bin taking the mick!
No shortage of recycling for the puns at least.
Findus Fop wrote:
this is a binjustice.

The scales have been tipped.
Grim... wrote:
It's rubbish.

That’s just trash talk.
Living life on the edge today by only just remembering that's it Bin Day and putting the bin out late.
Kern wrote:
Living life on the edge today by only just remembering that's it Bin Day and putting the bin out late.

I love that little frisson of excitement that comes with that. Have I left it too late? Will I see the in truck sail past as I'm fumbling with my bins? Am I going to time it perfectly just before they arrive?
Enjoy

edit: oops the attachment didn't work :belm:
Quote:
Garden waste collections to go four-weekly, temporarily

Dear subscriber

Due to a shortage in the availability of licensed HGV drivers across the country at the moment, garden waste collections in Wirral – which are usually fortnightly – will be carried out monthly from this week as a temporary arrangement.

Our waste management partner, Biffa, are reporting a shortage of qualified drivers due to staff either testing positive for COVID-19 or having to isolate due to close contact with someone.
In the short term, it's hard to see how councils/'partners' hold on to drivers.
Serco have gone for paying them fuck all and letting them go on strike. Quality strategy
https://twitter.com/joelycett/status/14 ... 5911222278

Finally its our time!
While many of my engagements with this thread began as a joke, I now feel kind of invested and think that reading more about bins could be strangely interesting and potentially entertaining (if it's an academic that's got a good style, and now I've typed that out I realise it's not likely).
It seems like a natural step for this bloke, who wrote a readable history of consumption, to look at throwing those things away:

Attachment:
Trentmann.png

I used to work with him at Birkbeck; when I left he wanted to say thanks, so invited me for dinner. That also involved going for a swim at Hampstead Heath - naked, obvs. And then heading back to his, where he apologised that his wife and kids were away.

The story gets more boring from there, I'm afraid, as we had dinner, talked, and then I went home. He is a very nice man - and Germanically relaxed about nakedness.
That book does sound interesting and I think I'd like to read it, although it's the sort of thing I'd buy, only read once, and then leave to gather dust (or chuck away) which seems a bit like ten thousand spoons.

Bin chat also seems like the sort of thing that could be a really good topic for one of the talks at the 'Boring' conference that James Ward organises.
That book does sound interesting and I think I'd like to read it, although it's the sort of thing I'd buy, only read once, and then leave to gather dust (or chuck away) which seems a bit like ten thousand spoons.

Bin chat also seems like the sort of thing that could be a really good topic for one of the talks at the 'Boring' conference that James Ward organises.
Lovely new addition to the family.
What are the specs of that bad boy? Capacity, maximum lid opening angle?

Do you have any mods planned for it?
ATTENTION ALL

My garden waste bin has been collected.

Repeat

MESSAGE ENDS
I took the bins out this morning, even though it wasn't my turn on the rota, as number 11 hadn't done it yet and the bin men were due in an hour.
I bet no-one thanks me for it.
Trooper wrote:
I took the bins out this morning, even though it wasn't my turn on the rota, as number 11 hadn't done it yet and the bin men were due in an hour.
I bet no-one thanks me for it.

Thanks Trooper. :luv:
You're a Trooper, Trooper.

TrooperSquared. A Super Trooper
DavPaz wrote:
ATTENTION ALL

Repeat

MESSAGE ENDS
it was probably high quality compost by now though!
Garden waste has been collected!
The brown bin wasn't collected yesterday. This is the penultimate collection before the service stops for the winter.
I've emailed the council to ask for their opinion on the matter AND I WILL REPORT BACK!
It's better if you write them a stiff letter in cardboard and put it in the paper recycling bin.
I've yet to work out the full rota for what the recycling gentlemen will accept the in the cardboard and plastic recycling bags.

So far i've got:
1st week, anything
2nd week, no drinks cartons
3rd week, anything as long as it is ripped into small pieces
4th week, no more than 2 breakfast biscuit boxes, no drinks cartons
5th week, anything in bag 1, no cartons in bag 2

I think it repeats after that, but that's still to be tested.
Helpully they make it easy enough to work out by pulling the stuff that wasn't acceptable this week out of the bush where they have gently placed it with care and attention.
Page 11 of 13 [ 640 posts ]